2022 Elder Football

I find it funny how the 4th post says Elder only plays CovCath when we are confident we can beat them. We play anybody anytime anywhere. Look at the rest of the schedule.
I respect what Cov Cath has built in Football, but they’re the big fish in the small pond. They wouldn’t have near the level of success if they had to play Elder’s schedule. It’s easy to dominate these small public schools that don’t have the same resources you do. If you want to act like you’re a BSD, try playing Ville X and Trinity every year, see how you stack up then.

I respect what Cov Cath has built in Football, but they’re the big fish in the small pond. They wouldn’t have near the level of success if they had to play Elder’s schedule. It’s easy to dominate these small public schools that don’t have the same resources you do. If you want to act like you’re a BSD, try playing Ville X and Trinity every year, see how you stack up then.

They did have that team a couple years ago with Michael Mayer that went undefeated and beat Lasalle. Remember Lasalle won state that year and beat Elder(a game Elder didn't play well). Other than that, Elder beats Cov Cath almost any year.

Cov Cath also doesn't have as much competition for players with no other big Catholic schools in Northern Kentucky. They are very fortunate Elder cannot pull in Kentucky kids without them having to go through hoops to be eligible.

They did have that team a couple years ago with Michael Mayer that went undefeated and beat Lasalle. Remember Lasalle won state that year and beat Elder(a game Elder didn't play well). Other than that, Elder beats Cov Cath almost any year.

Cov Cath also doesn't have as much competition for players with no other big Catholic schools in Northern Kentucky. They are very fortunate Elder cannot pull in Kentucky kids without them having to go through hoops to be eligible.
Im not sure Cov Cath would exist if kids from NKY could play sports in Ohio.

Cov Cath is approaching their 100th Anniversary. They are fortunate that they get excellent support from the Principal and administration in just about every activity the students participate in. Cov Cath also has a number of Staff/Coaches involved in the Catholic Youth Sports and Parishes in NKY. NKY HS Football just not on the same level as SW Ohio especially the GCL.

Cov Cath is approaching their 100th Anniversary. They are fortunate that they get excellent support from the Principal and administration in just about every activity the students participate in. Cov Cath also has a number of Staff/Coaches involved in the Catholic Youth Sports and Parishes in NKY. NKY HS Football just not on the same level as SW Ohio especially the GCL.
Very much agree with this. I was going to say something very similar. Their "values" are very similar to those you see on the westside as those youth sports and parishes give them the same sense of pride in their communities. They are very proud to play for their local high schools over there. I'm not so sure you'd see a mass exodus to Ohio if Ohio starting allowing those kids to play.

Maybe the best of the best would entertain the idea - but most of those kids know they don't have a football path after high school and they really enjoy it with their friends.

Very much agree with this. I was going to say something very similar. Their "values" are very similar to those you see on the westside as those youth sports and parishes give them the same sense of pride in their communities. They are very proud to play for their local high schools over there. I'm not so sure you'd see a mass exodus to Ohio if Ohio starting allowing those kids to play.

Maybe the best of the best would entertain the idea - but most of those kids know they don't have a football path after high school and they really enjoy it with their friends.
It’s a lot easier when you’re biggest competitors for players are New Cath, Brossart, and Holy Cross. Also, the public school competition sucks. They never had to face a Colerain or Lakota West team loaded with D1 players. And when Highlands was good, they kicked the crap out of Cov Cath.

Which is why saying Elder only schedules Cov Cath when they know they’re the better team is bogus. Elder played Highlands multiple times at their peak and most of the time, those were just slightly above avg Elder teams. The one exception being the ‘12 team.

It’s a lot easier when you’re biggest competitors for players are New Cath, Brossart, and Holy Cross. Also, the public school competition sucks. They never had to face a Colerain or Lakota West team loaded with D1 players. And when Highlands was good, they kicked the crap out of Cov Cath.
I just think there's alot less talent in NKY. Most of the better players flock to Cov Cath, but not sure they have a ton of kids that would even start at GCL schools.

Every now and then you'll find a great one (Mayer), but for the most part, it's just decent.

I just think there's alot less talent in NKY. Most of the better players flock to Cov Cath, but not sure they have a ton of kids that would even start at GCL schools.

Every now and then you'll find a great one (Mayer), but for the most part, it's just decent.
Hard to judge because it’s a smaller pool of players.

Which is why saying Elder only schedules Cov Cath when they know they’re the better team is bogus. Elder played Highlands multiple times at their peak and most of the time, those were just slightly above avg Elder teams. The one exception being the ‘12 team.
Pay attention this was already discussed!!

Mayer was the best player I watched on any team La Salle played in 2019 and I don’t think there was a close second. That dude manhandled the Lancers in both sides of the ball and with an above-average QB, CovCath rolled. I think those two teams probably would have split if they played 10 times. And they were the best team La Salle played that year. Again, maybe Not a close second.

After having watched CovCath for a number of years in a previous job, though, I don’t think the program has had the depth or trench players to keep up with GCL teams on a year-to-year basis, even the Grippa-era La Salle program.

I'm not sure anyone can say with a straight face that Elder dodges anyone.
You can’t say that about any of the GCL schools or Eds & Ignatius. I don’t think it’s a point of pride so much as nobody in state will schedule them.

You can’t say that about any of the GCL schools or Eds & Ignatius. I don’t think it’s a point of pride so much as nobody in state will schedule them.
I don't know - the schedule would be easier if schools had to schedule them, no doubt, but I think these schools would still significantly challenge themselves, especially with (nearly) everyone making the playoffs now. There's no doubt about being tested going into the playoffs.

I don't know - the schedule would be easier if schools had to schedule them, no doubt, but I think these schools would still significantly challenge themselves, especially with (nearly) everyone making the playoffs now. There's no doubt about being tested going into the playoffs.
I think it’s beneficial to have 1-2 games where you can get the backups some PT.

Links to regional maps have been posted early. Elder is in D1 R4 as always.

1655133915496.png

It looks like Region 4 has 18 teams with Springboro being the furthest north team in the region.

Yes. New to region 4 this year is Springboro and Middletown. It appears Western Hi has already opted out of postseason, or they may be added later on.

D1 Region 4 has gone from 17 teams to 18. Add Springboro and Middletown. Drop West Hi(for now).

Region 4 just got stronger.

Region 4

Colerain
Elder
Fairfield
Hamilton
Lakota East
Lakota West
Lebanon
Mason
Middletown
Milford