2022 HS season

Huge win by Moeller! Another season where they get better as the season goes on and gets to Columbus. Congratulations to Elder and Badin from the south as well!
I’m very excited to see the Liberty-Moeller matchup. Moeller has always been a powerhouse, but Liberty looks pretty incredible this year. If there’s anyone in the state that can knock off Moeller or Elder, I’d say it’s probably Centerville or Liberty.

Sycamore kept it competitive a few less errors by them and maybe the match goes a different way
I don’t think so. Elder can get kills, digs, blocks from their top guys as well as role players, whereas teams like Sycamore have to rely on their top guys (Kress and Walsh) to carry the load. As it usually is with Elder, Moe and X, their role players would be top guys on a lot of other teams. I want parity as much as the next guy, but it’s been this way for awhile.

I’m very excited to see the Liberty-Moeller matchup. Moeller has always been a powerhouse, but Liberty looks pretty incredible this year. If there’s anyone in the state that can knock off Moeller or Elder, I’d say it’s probably Centerville or Liberty.
Moe beat Liberty 3-0, 25-15, 25-19, 25-21 in the Centerville tournament. I’d expect something similar IF Moe is healthy.

Moe beat Liberty 3-0, 25-15, 25-19, 25-21 in the Centerville tournament. I’d expect something similar IF Moe is healthy.
Agreed, Elder also beat Liberty at Centerville. In my opinion, Centerville is the only team that has a shot to knock off Moe or Elder.

I’m wondering if Liberty was limited at the serving line with the short serving area at Centerville? That could swing a few more point there way. It should be a very competitive state weekend.

I’m wondering if Liberty was limited at the serving line with the short serving area at Centerville? That could swing a few more point there way. It should be a very competitive state weekend.
I don't really remember a short serving area. Maybe in the auxiliary gym?

You have to also remember that until the second round of the Centerville Elite against Elder, Liberty had not dropped a set through I think 14 games. After the loss to Elder I imagine they were pretty mentally defeated.

I don’t think so. Elder can get kills, digs, blocks from their top guys as well as role players, whereas teams like Sycamore have to rely on their top guys (Kress and Walsh) to carry the load. As it usually is with Elder, Moe and X, their role players would be top guys on a lot of other teams. I want parity as much as the next guy, but it’s been this way for awhile.
I beg to differ they were definitely always in that game just shot themselves in the foot multiples times. this article seems to think so too https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sp...ll-teams-advance-state-tournament/9985185002/

I beg to differ they were definitely always in that game just shot themselves in the foot multiples times. this article seems to think so too https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sp...ll-teams-advance-state-tournament/9985185002/
Not shooting yourself in the foot (too much) is part of being an elite team/program. Sycamore is definitely a solid team and their new coach seems to have breathed new life into the program, but I just can’t see any way they pull off that upset. Sorry if you’re a coach/player/fan/whatever. That article also gets multiple names wrong lol

Last edited:
Agreed, Elder also beat Liberty at Centerville. In my opinion, Centerville is the only team that has a shot to knock off Moe or Elder.
Ignatius did beat Centerville in 4 at Centerville during Elite 8 tournament, beat Xavier in 4, and one of the few teams that took a set from Elder this year. I wouldn’t count them out either.

I don't really remember a short serving area. Maybe in the auxiliary gym?

As I recall it, when using two courts in the main gym, the serving area is a step short for a max approach jump serve. I could be wrong on that.

In the aux gym on the side with the bleachers, it's definitely short.

As I recall it, when using two courts in the main gym, the serving area is a step short for a max approach jump serve. I could be wrong on that.

In the aux gym on the side with the bleachers, it's definitely short.
422812A7-7186-4502-95C5-118CCF480F42.png

From Elder twitter footage of Centerville Elite 8. Main gym looked fine in terms of serving space, could be a step short of max jump serve space like you said, a little hard to tell. Aux gym was not shown.

In what volleyball universe is 25-16, 25-16, 25-21 considered being in the match? Sounds like u r a little too biased. Homer fan
In what volleyball universe is 25-16, 25-16, 25-21 considered being in the match? Sounds like u r a little too biased. Homer fan maybe?
if you watch the game you would see you can’t base it off those box scores. was an entertaining game for sure

In what volleyball universe is 25-16, 25-16, 25-21 considered being in the match? Sounds like u r a little too biased. Homer fan

if you watch the game you would see you can’t base it off those box scores. was an entertaining game for sure
i agree. first set was like 16-14 before Elder made a "run". 2nd set not as close but it was 21-20 in the 3rd set. this wasn't Elder just running away with it the entire match. if you were there/watched it, that's what you would have seen.

And the matchups for the State Tournament are now set:

Division 1
10:00am - E1 Olentangy Liberty vs. S2 Moeller
11:45am - S1 Elder vs. E2 Dublin Jerome
1:30pm - N1 Hudson vs. W2 Beavercreek
3:15pm - W1 Centerville vs. N2 St Ignatius

Division 2
5:00pm - N St Vincent-St Mary vs. W Carroll
6:45pm - E St Francis DeSales vs. S Badin
The majority of the matches should be pretty close in the first round. Very intrigued with the Liberty/Moeller match.

Division 1
E1 Olentangy Liberty vs. S2 Moeller - Moeller in 4
S1 Elder vs. E2 Dublin Jerome - Elder in 3
N1 Hudson vs. W2 Beavercreek - Beavercreek in 3
W1 Centerville vs. N2 St Ignatius - Centerville in 5

Division 2
N St Vicent-St Mary vs. W Carroll - Carroll in 3
E St Francis DeSales vs. S Badin - Badin in 4

The state championship weekend is almost upon us. I think there are a few cool story lines:
1. Dublin Jerome a #6 seed getting to the state quarterfinals is extremely cool. Will they take the next step vs the Panthers? Is this the lowest seed ever to advance?
2. Can Olentangy take out the the returning State champs? It’s going to be a battle
3. Centerville vs Iggy round 2. Can Centerville at full strength revenge the loss from earlier in the year
4. Coach Brockman in her final matches as a high school coach. Can she help the Rams deliver a state championship?
5. Can Elder keep the streak alive when losing the prior year in the state finals?

Anyone have any more story lines?

Last edited:
I believe it could be the first year ever that both the D1 and D2 state championship matches feature teams from the same league. Elder and Moeller both from the GCL South. Badin and Carroll both from the GCL Co-ed

The state championship weekend is almost upon us. I think there are few cool story lines:
1. Dublin Jerome a #6 seed getting to the state quarterfinals is extremely cool. Will they take the next step vs the Panthers? Is this the lowest seed ever to advance?
2. Can Olentangy take out the the returning State champs? It’s going to be a battle
3. Centerville vs Iggy round 2. Can Centerville at full strength revenge the loss from earlier in the year
4. Coach Brockman in her final matches as a high school coach. Can she help the Rams deliver a state championship?
5. Can Elder keep the streak alive when losing the prior year in the state finals?

Anyone have any more story lines?
Can DeSales in back to back games send the best 2 D2 players home .

Elder over Jerome in 3
Liberty over Moeller in 4
Centerville over Ignatius in 3
Beavercreek over Hudson in 4

Badin over Desales in 3
Carroll over SVSM in 3

Moeller has some real issues with falling apart and/or not being able to close sets. Going to 5 with Liberty after winning the first two pretty easily. Dropped the 3rd, 25-19 then got blown out in the 4th, 25-9.

Moeller survives Olentangy Liberty 25-17, 25-17, 19-25, 9-25, 19-17
Could’ve been a different match if Liberty locked in a little earlier. I can honestly say watching them beat Moeller 25-9 was probably the most unreal set of volleyball I’ve ever seen.