Favorite HS FB stadium?

Here's a classic for ya:

Yuma High School, home of the Criminals (Arizona)

1654066484624.png

And last but not least:

Monument Valley High School, (Arizona)

View attachment 30229

View attachment 30230

Complex:

View attachment 30231
I've been to that stadium and walked the track. And I've seen Monument Valley play. But only a road game at Monticello. Then Covid happened and their 2020 season didn't happen.

One of the best tackling photos I've gotten:

Interesting fact about Monument Valley is that their short 2021 made history. In the second game their backup qb was a girl and came in after an injury and threw a TD. Also believed to be the first girl to ever start a game at QB the following week. Also, MV had two girls start that game. But due to low numbers had to end their season.

Last edited:
Believe it or not my favorite I saw was in all places San Francisco, Geo Washington HS. Basically has everything you want in a stadium: no track, well proportioned end zone to end zone bleachers, cool neighborhood setting, and the most amazing view of the Golden Gate Bridge>

George-Washington-High-School.jpg

SF also has the well known Galelio HS Stadium. Basically shoe horned into some of the most expensive real estate in the country. Notice the elevation change outside the end zones that had to be accounted for. The Juice ran all over the field here before the apartment structure with an amazing view of games was constructed>

Galileo-Academy-of-Science-and-Technology.jpg

Traveling down in Texas on business and passed by Corsicana's football stadium. Very impressive considering the size of the school system (approx 450 per graduating class).

Attachments

• corsicana high school stadium.jpg
    corsicana high school stadium.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 30
Believe it or not my favorite I saw was in all places San Francisco, Geo Washington HS. Basically has everything you want in a stadium: no track, well proportioned end zone to end zone bleachers, cool neighborhood setting, and the most amazing view of the Golden Gate Bridge>

SF also has the well known Galelio HS Stadium. Basically shoe horned into some of the most expensive real estate in the country. Notice the elevation change outside the end zones that had to be accounted for. The Juice ran all over the field here before the apartment structure with an amazing view of games was constructed>

Galileo-Academy-of-Science-and-Technology.jpg

Those towers however are infamous. Or famous depending upon POV. They resulted in zoning putting height restrictions in to prevent blocking views of the bay area.

Those towers however are infamous. Or famous depending upon POV. They resulted in zoning putting height restrictions in to prevent blocking views of the bay area.
SF is the definition of NIMBY, I guess those folks living in the Russian Hill neighborhood just had to get over it :)

By the way here is the view the other way up to Russian Hill. That football field is the complete opposite of the one in monument valley. Think about it, a HS Football field for what is now a marginal city team is probably sitting on one of the most valuable pieces of underdeveloped real estate in the most expensive housing markets in the country. What a city!

18820663399_b3c28daa28_b.jpg

SF is the definition of NIMBY, I guess those folks living in the Russian Hill neighborhood just had to get over it :)

By the way here is the view the other way up to Russian Hill. That football field is the complete opposite of the one in monument valley. Think about it, a HS Football field for what is now a marginal city team is probably sitting on one of the most valuable pieces of underdeveloped real estate in the most expensive housing markets in the country. What a city!

In June 2021, i went to a game at Fort Hamilton in Brooklyn. Not far from the water. The field had no stands, press box or lights. And across a derelict concrete pad from the field across the street were multi million dollar homes.

(maps rotated)

Screenshot_20220601-165508_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20220601-165700_Opera.jpg

Fort Hamilton is the 2nd largest high school in NYC.

Last edited:

That was the agreement. They could put the high rises at the top. Not really a NIMBY, IMO. If it were, that school wouldnt exist. Practical and fair. They as a city decided their "middle income," which is what it was at that time should also have a nice view. Pretty much the opposite of NIMBY.

Have you been to Mitchell Stadium in Bluefield, WV?
Almost did in 2021. But Graham hs in VA never got back to me. Went to Hurley instead. And so glad I did.

Smiley Ratliff Field
Hurley, VA

Very narrow sidelines. Maybe 6 feet or so on the home side. One kid was tackled and slid under the fence and got stuck.

Grundy, Hurley and Twin Valley are merging into one school soon and varsity football games in Hurley will soon be a thing of the past.

Well, Ohio State in general wants nothing to do with hosting HS events. They could host just about everything and but make it as difficult as possible to do so. It's ashame.
And other states bend over backwards to host state association finals in almost any sport. Not sure why colleges are so against it in Ohio.

And other states bend over backwards to host state association finals in almost any sport. Not sure why colleges are so against it in Ohio.
It's not all of them. Dayton has seemed enthusiastic about hosting the basketball championships, Wright State hosted volleyball for years. Bowling Green and Toledo have both hosted district and regional basketball as long as I can remember. Some D3 schools will host too, Bluffton and Ohio Northern have both held sectional or district tournaments for boys and girls basketball in recent years. It seems like more of an Ohio State issue with the OHSAA than it is colleges altogether

It's not all of them. Dayton has seemed enthusiastic about hosting the basketball championships, Wright State hosted volleyball for years. Bowling Green and Toledo have both hosted district and regional basketball as long as I can remember. Some D3 schools will host too, Bluffton and Ohio Northern have both held sectional or district tournaments for boys and girls basketball in recent years. It seems like more of an Ohio State issue with the OHSAA than it is colleges altogether

I think the observation was about football.

I think the observation was about football.
Mostly yes.

The thing is other universities seem intent on having games at their stadium.

Syracuse, Rutgers, Naval Academy, Penn State bid on the finals, UNC, Wake Forest, NCSU, and Duke, South Carolina, Georgia State, Florida State (intermittent), Alabama, Auburn and UAB, Miss State, Ole Miss and Southern Miss, UT Chattanooga, Kentucky, Illinois and NIU, Northern Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota State, Wyoming, CSU Pueblo, Utah, and Idaho State, Boise State and Idaho (occasionally).

Other states have from time to time. Oklahoma, Nevada, Oregon, California, etc.

Yet Ohio with all these colleges and universities seem resistant to hosting playoff games.

Mostly yes.

The thing is other universities seem intent on having games at their stadium.

Syracuse, Rutgers, Naval Academy, Penn State bid on the finals, UNC, Wake Forest, NCSU, and Duke, South Carolina, Georgia State, Florida State (intermittent), Alabama, Auburn and UAB, Miss State, Ole Miss and Southern Miss, UT Chattanooga, Kentucky, Illinois and NIU, Northern Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota State, Wyoming, CSU Pueblo, Utah, and Idaho State, Boise State and Idaho (occasionally).

Other states have from time to time. Oklahoma, Nevada, Oregon, California, etc.

Yet Ohio with all these colleges and universities seem resistant to hosting playoff games.

Hey Sky, just curious... where do you get your information from? Do you read Yappi type threads from other states? Just curious because I find a lot of your stuff fascinating and I want to start learning about football in other states and how it works!

Hey Sky, just curious... where do you get your information from? Do you read Yappi type threads from other states? Just curious because I find a lot of your stuff fascinating and I want to start learning about football in other states and how it works!
Honestly, just looking up other associations, reading newspapers from those states, etc. A lot of it is just researching because I'm interested in going to those states for games. Then once I know of them I just keep tabs to see how things change.

Like this season will be the first state wide state championships in New Jersey.

Looks pretty darn good to me.
If I'm not mistaken, they also have quite a nice gym.
It's pretty good. Bathrooms and concessions on both sides. Big enough to host playoff and all-star games. Video board. Band stands removed from the main grandstands for both teams. Lots of locker space. Looks great driving by on i-75. Dislikes: 1) most parking is across a busy street. There used to be two foot bridges over top Chester Rd, but no longer 2) east/west orientation means teams have the sun in their eyes in the first half in the early games.

Basketball arena is huge and positioned to host playoff and "event" games too. SRO capacity might get 4K. Has the intimacy of a missile silo, IMO. Would have been nice to have a center-hung scoreboad as when the practice baskets are up, they obstruct the corner scoreboards

Last edited:
It's pretty good. Bathrooms and concessions on both sides. Big enough to host playoff and all-star games. Video board. Band stands removed from the main grandstands for both teams. Lots of locker space. Looks great driving by on i-75. Dislikes: 1) most parking is across a busy street. There used to be two foot bridges over top Chester Rd, but no longer 2) east/west orientation means teams have the sun in their eyes in the first half in the early games.

Basketball arena is huge and positioned to host playoff and "event" games too. SRO capacity might get 4K. Has the intimacy of a missile silo, IMO. Would have been nice to have a center-hung scoreboad as when the practice baskets are up, they obstruct the corner scoreboards
There is a reason the term used is running north/south. Almost all top notch stadiums are north/south orientation with the home stands on the west side so the setting sun is in the eyes of the visitors. A couple stadiums called out as strong on this thread have mentioned the only knock against is the home side is on the east.