The Official 2022 Cincinnati Reds Thread

My wife and I have a free invitation to see the Reds tonight, behind the plate seats, We're not going

No Way Smh GIF
Cool rainy night. Pirates vs. Reds. Star-studded Overton vs. Brubaker pitching matchup. How can you possibly decline this?

I wonder how many games it will take for the Reds to have double digit wins? That would be a great bar contest to draw in customers. LOL! My guess you be 55.
At this point, I’m rooting for a historically bad season. Might actually go to a game at then.

I wonder how many games it will take for the Reds to have double digit wins? That would be a great bar contest to draw in customers. LOL! My guess you be 55.
I would take the under on that guess. To get to game 55 to reach 10-45 they would have to go 7-18 over the next 25 games. Call me 14-red but I believe from the s schedule ahead of them they can go on a tear and after a 7-12 record the next 19 games they would reach double digit wins on game 44 of the season.

From that point they would have 118 games remaining and would need to go 32 - 86 over those games to keep the loss total around 120. That is my prediction at this point, 44 games played to reach 10 wins, 42 wins on season with a 42 -120 record overall. Manager fired by July 1.

I do believe the Reds will win the afternoon game today behind Connor Overton, who is probably their best starting pitcher until Castillo returns Monday.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

I do believe the Reds will win the afternoon game today behind Connor Overton, who is probably their best starting pitcher until Castillo returns Monday.

No way, Reds will lose 2 today! Have to score to Win and this lineup is beyond awful!

No way, Reds will lose 2 today! Have to score to Win and this lineup is beyond awful!
I know, but the Pirates lineup is almost just as atrocious. Reds castoff Josh VanMeter was batting 5th in the Pirates posted lineup last night!

I guarantee that every AAA team not affiliated with the REDS would have a better record than the REDS playing their schedule to date......

What do you think????

Maybe MLB should do what the Premiere league does ....

Huge pitching matchup today in the battle of the inflated ERAs. Mahle puts his plus 7.00 ERA against Thompson's plus 9.00. A lovely weather day and this pitching matchup - I predict 6 or more HR today. Oh wait, both teams have sorry hitters too. I have no idea what will happen.

Brewers are definitely worrying about Cincy now. Seriously, it is nice to see the guys win and have a little fun.

Having Luis Castillo on the mound last night was pretty much the first reminder this season that this actually is a major-league team. Even while winning the Pirates series, everything about the team felt bush league.

Now the Reds potentially settle into merely being a bad team instead of a historically bad team, which means they probably won’t be as entertaining to watch.

Reds trade candidates:
1. Luis Castillo
2. Tommy Pham
3. Tyler Mahle — has lost severe value from a year ago
4. Kyle Farmer
5. Brandon Drury — I’d trade him as soon as possible
6. Luis Cessa
7. Mike Minor — If he gets healthy and resembles a competent back-end starter
8. Donovan Solano — If he gets healthy and hits

I have a feeling Mike Minor is going to be one of those Ryan Madsen type deals. Too much money and never really sees the field.

I don't believe Madsen ever threw one pitch in Cincinnati. I don't know the answer to this, but can the club cash in on a insurance policy if guys don't play? I would almost think they would have some protections against this.
I have a feeling Mike Minor is going to be one of those Ryan Madsen type deals. Too much money and never really sees the field.

Reds trade candidates:
1. Luis Castillo
2. Tommy Pham
3. Tyler Mahle — has lost severe value from a year ago
4. Kyle Farmer
5. Brandon Drury — I’d trade him as soon as possible
6. Luis Cessa
7. Mike Minor — If he gets healthy and resembles a competent back-end starter
8. Donovan Solano — If he gets healthy and hits

If Colin Moran keeps hitting home runs every day, they can trade him too.

Having Luis Castillo on the mound last night was pretty much the first reminder this season that this actually is a major-league team. Even while winning the Pirates series, everything about the team felt bush league.

Now the Reds potentially settle into merely being a bad team instead of a historically bad team, which means they probably won’t be as entertaining to watch.

The Reds are still mostly a Triple A team, Moran, Drury are on hot streaks now. Really good to see Castillo pitch well last night. I think he got a little fatigued in the 4th when he walked two and they both scored. Still, looked like the old Castillo.
Unfortunately as much as I like him, Kyle Farmer is really struggling. Jose Barero needs to get in the lineup soon. Good to see Farmer hit that homer last night and the players reactions. You can tell he's a well liked guy in the clubhouse.
Any word on Votto? He's been nearly unheard of the last 10 days. He had covid symptoms, but didn't test positive and we've not heard one update on him?? Coupled with his struggles, this may just be an opportunity for him to hit the reset button. Again though, I'm not sure why the club can be more transparent.

The Reds are still mostly a Triple A team, Moran, Drury are on hot streaks now. Really good to see Castillo pitch well last night. I think he got a little fatigued in the 4th when he walked two and they both scored. Still, looked like the old Castillo.
Unfortunately as much as I like him, Kyle Farmer is really struggling. Jose Barero needs to get in the lineup soon. Good to see Farmer hit that homer last night and the players reactions. You can tell he's a well liked guy in the clubhouse.
Any word on Votto? He's been nearly unheard of the last 10 days. He had covid symptoms, but didn't test positive and we've not heard one update on him?? Coupled with his struggles, this may just be an opportunity for him to hit the reset button. Again though, I'm not sure why the club can be more transparent.
Bell said a couple of days ago that Votto was "a couple of days away" from being ready. So hopefully this week...

Well, the Reds season-long win streak is snapped at 2. Nothing lasts forever.

A couple of other factoids I read yesterday:
- There was a report on MLB home attendance of 2019 vs. 2022, for the first 12 home games. 2020 and 2021 were disregarded due to covid. Somehow, the Reds are up 15%. I don't remember spring of 2019, maybe the weather was awful, or maybe the Reds had very little pre-season hope, but it is amazing that attendance is up. That is of course based on ticket sales, not actual bodies in GABP.

- The Reds advertised $3 beers and $2 hot dogs at GABP last night in hopes of drawing a bigger crowd. Even with the tiny crowd, they supposedly ran out of beer and hot dogs in the top of the 4th inning. Cheap bastards.

Well, the Reds season-long win streak is snapped at 2. Nothing lasts forever.

A couple of other factoids I read yesterday:
- There was a report on MLB home attendance of 2019 vs. 2022, for the first 12 home games. 2020 and 2021 were disregarded due to covid. Somehow, the Reds are up 15%. I don't remember spring of 2019, maybe the weather was awful, or maybe the Reds had very little pre-season hope, but it is amazing that attendance is up. That is of course based on ticket sales, not actual bodies in GABP.

- The Reds advertised $3 beers and $2 hot dogs at GABP last night in hopes of drawing a bigger crowd. Even with the tiny crowd, they supposedly ran out of beer and hot dogs in the top of the 4th inning. Cheap bastards.
Regarding the attendance, I was curious about that note, so I looked into it. In 2019, the season started March 28, 10 days earlier than this season, so weather early on was likely colder. But the big difference is that it appears the 2019 Reds had two weekend games banged by rainouts early on, including the Saturday game after Opening Day, which likely had been marketed as Kids Opening Day and/or Opening Night. A couple weeks later, their Friday night game vs STL was rained out, and the other two crowds Saturday and Sunday vs STL were noticeably weak (less than 17K each). Not sure if that was a bad weather weekend.

This year’s Reds got a full weekend series vs the Cards in good weather that drew decent crowds, all 3 games between 20K and 28K. And got 3 weekend games vs Pirates included in there … although Game 1 of Saturday’s DH had a dreadful crowd of less than 10K.

In summary: Only three weekend games among the first 12 in 2019. Six weekend games among the first 12 this season. And the STL weekend crowds were larger this year, likely due to better weather. Lastly, I tend to think that Reds attendance often trails team results by a year. The team was a disaster in 2018 and wasn’t expected to be good in 2019, so that likely kept folks away. The Reds were pretty decent last year, which would have helped with attendance early this season (and still may have), but they mostly flushed away any 2021 goodwill with the offseason fire sale and Phil insulting the fanbase on home opening day.

One last attendance note: Aside from the home opener, the Reds have now played 6 weekday/weeknight games in 2022, all against decent or good teams (1 vs CLE, 3 vs SD, 2 vs MIL) and have yet to reach an announced attendance of 11,000 in any of those games. That is really, really poor and essentially means that aside from season ticket sales, hardly anybody is going to these weeknight games on a discretionary basis. And of course the actual bodies in the stadium are far less, generally in the 5K to 8K range most of these nights, I’d estimate. And maybe 3K in the building for that CLE day game.

Bell said a couple of days ago that Votto was "a couple of days away" from being ready. So hopefully this week...
If I had a nickel every time Bell said a guy was a few days away.... that's not a reputable source. The sad part is there are reporters, Charlie Goldsmith, Mark Sheldon and CTrent Rosecrans who covers the Reds daily and it's crickets. This isn't Jake Fraley. Someone with Votto's stature and popularity, there needs to be updates at least every few days. There was a brief statement this morning where Bell said Votto feels he may need a rehab assignment, may miss NEXT weekend's trip to Toronto???? Can you not test positive for Covid and miss 3 weeks?? Seriously??