Jonathan Powell to Centerville?

How many on here would be upset if a D-1 type of talent transferred to the school you follow for whatever reason? Even if there were rumors of recruiting, I doubt the majority of the posters would be boycotting or complaining. Unless the new kid is taking playing time away from their kid. then that dude would be chirping.
If there were credible rumors of recruiting I would absolutely lose a ton of interest and may stop going to games. A local team (in a different sport) managed to get a fair amount of really good transfers one or two years and nobody in our tightly-knit conference was upset when their tourney runs came to and end without a state title.

If there were credible rumors of recruiting I would absolutely lose a ton of interest and may stop going to games. A local team (in a different sport) managed to get a fair amount of really good transfers one or two years and nobody in our tightly-knit conference was upset when their tourney runs came to and end without a state title.

There aren't rumors of recruiting here.

“Me and my family talked about it, and it was serious conversation,” Powell said. “We all believe this will help me get ready for next level because we know that Coach Cupps is an amazing coach.”

“I needed to grow as a player, so I thought Centerville was a really good opportunity,” O’Connor said. “I wanted to win at a higher level, and now I want to compete at the state level.”

No accusations here, but I remember the long threads here a few years ago about how kids were transferring to Wayne just for football/basketball and that was terribly wrong. Now we have arrived at the point where the DDN is interviewing transfers and the kids clearly admit it is for basketball purposes. No mention in the article about the educational opportunities at Cville. We are halfway down the slippery slope......

“Me and my family talked about it, and it was serious conversation,” Powell said. “We all believe this will help me get ready for next level because we know that Coach Cupps is an amazing coach.”

“I needed to grow as a player, so I thought Centerville was a really good opportunity,” O’Connor said. “I wanted to win at a higher level, and now I want to compete at the state level.”

No accusations here, but I remember the long threads here a few years ago about how kids were transferring to Wayne just for football/basketball and that was terribly wrong. Now we have arrived at the point where the DDN is interviewing transfers and the kids clearly admit it is for basketball purposes. No mention in the article about the educational opportunities at Cville. We are halfway down the slippery slope......

What slope? You already said the same thing was happening years ago. It wasn't wrong to transfer to Wayne and it isn't wrong to transfer to Centerville. If you aren't breaking rules, go to high school where you want to go to high school.

This has been going on for a long time. It is nothing new. Kids transfer for a lot of different reasons. Who cares

I should've transferred...but back in my day nobody ever heard of anybody doing it and there was no way my Mom would've sold her house. But if your parents feel the move is in everybody's interest, bully for them and you, especially if you're transferring to a better school and better coach.

What slope? You already said the same thing was happening years ago. It wasn't wrong to transfer to Wayne and it isn't wrong to transfer to Centerville. If you aren't breaking rules, go to high school where you want to go to high school.
You missed my point, 10 years ago the general consensus was transferring for athletic reasons was unacceptable and it needed to be for some made-up academic opportunity reasons, now it is accepted that kids transfer solely for sports reasons. It clearly has been happening for years, but the up-front way it is talked about, and accepted, has changed drastically.

While I agree that it is fine if no rules are broken I don't remember many Centerville posters saying the Wayne transfers were ok back then

Apples and oranges there. This kids' parents moved. Those kids' parents stayed in their home town. Big difference.

You forgot to complain about the Kid originally moving from Akron to play for the guy he knew at CJ.

Continuing to live in Yellow Springs while attending Wayne to play basketball is breaking the rules. That includes Springfield. That is very different than the Centerville situation.

You're exactly right however when kids transferred to Wayne, Dunbar, Trotwood etc. it was frowned upon even if they moved into the district heck they were even sending out utility companies to check addresses and definitely did not interview the transfers now that Centerville is getting transfers simply because they're winning there's no discrepancies and "the coaching is great...he's going to college" everything's forgiven. I really don't care where they go, good for Centerville it's your turn but they should be scrutinized by the public just like other schools have been. How do we know they aren't using addresses? Maybe OHSAA should investigate? All these are complaints people have when the aforementioned schools get transfers so why is it legit when Centerville does it?

People just complained and questioned about the Arcanum QB transferring to Springfield they won't accept the fact he moved to Springfield "there's something more to it, ....Douglass recruits" he's been criticized for years.

I can't get it my subscription is up what's the contrast? NMW, Flev help me out?
The Centerville article is all positive. The Wayne article from five years ago talks about OHSAA rules, where the kid is residing, how many schools the kids has been to and whether more players from Dunbar would transfer out.

You think part of the positive coverage could be the kid is being recruited by UD? The DDN is a shill for the university. Kind of like they did with Staten.

The Centerville article is all positive. The Wayne article from five years ago talks about OHSAA rules, where the kid is residing, how many schools the kids has been to and whether more players from Dunbar would transfer out.
SMH, not surprised and thanks.

You missed my point, 10 years ago the general consensus was transferring for athletic reasons was unacceptable and it needed to be for some made-up academic opportunity reasons, now it is accepted that kids transfer solely for sports reasons. It clearly has been happening for years, but the up-front way it is talked about, and accepted, has changed drastically.

While I agree that it is fine if no rules are broken I don't remember many Centerville posters saying the Wayne transfers were ok back then

I had to constantly defend Wayne on here especially from the Centerville folk (despite they also had their transfers.... aka "midnight backfield" ... QB from Texas, QB from CJ) but now Centerville is getting all the transfers it is a different story with them. While I personally wish that everyone stays put and play for their hometown school I really just don't care if or how many transfers Centerville gets. I honestly think that it will become an issue with them when home grown kids get put to the bench while transfers are starting. I doubt the Elk community would support that.

Continuing to live in Yellow Springs while attending Wayne to play basketball is breaking the rules. That includes Springfield. That is very different than the Centerville situation.

No, it does not break the rule because Yellow Springs does not have a football program in which that player played on the Wayne football team.

People just complained and questioned about the Arcanum QB transferring to Springfield they won't accept the fact he moved to Springfield "there's something more to it, ....Douglass recruits" he's been criticized for years.
Not to get into that argument and I have no idea if Douglass is still doing it but I know for a fact that he was recruiting players at Wayne when he was at Trotwood. As for the Arcanum QB, it this move can increase his chances into getting a better scholarship then more power to him. Not sure why he didn't go to a closer school such as Northmont.......

I had to constantly defend Wayne on here especially from the Centerville folk (despite they also had their transfers.... aka "midnight backfield" ... QB from Texas, QB from CJ) but now Centerville is getting all the transfers it is a different story with them. While I personally wish that everyone stays put and play for their hometown school I really just don't care if or how many transfers Centerville gets. I honestly think that it will become an issue with them when home grown kids get put to the bench while transfers are starting. I doubt the Elk community would support that.
Check where their parents live versus where they play is the key here. Give you your Yellow Springs example if that's true.

The QBs (you tell me): I thought they had parents in school system.

As for basketball, I think I heard one of the kids already lives in Centerville and the other is moving. Not quite like a kid from Indiana coming to play BB at Wayne with no parental move.

Also "Elk community" is a lot different than "individual parents whose kid gets less than expected minutes" as to who will be upset. Because parents get upset about Junior's playing time everywhere regardless of transfers or not.

Check where their parents live versus where they play is the key here. Give you your Yellow Springs example if that's true.

The QBs (you tell me): I thought they had parents in school system.

As for basketball, I think I heard one of the kids already lives in Centerville and the other is moving. Not quite like a kid from Indiana coming to play BB at Wayne with no parental move.

Also "Elk community" is a lot different than "individual parents whose kid gets less than expected minutes" as to who will be upset. Because parents get upset about Junior's playing time everywhere regardless of transfers or not.

The kid that came to Wayne from Gary Indiana saw his best friend shot to death in front of him. Any parent would of gotten him out of that situation and they only knew Trice through AAU. It had nothing to do with basketball but life and death. It was a shame that some GWOC coaches had a fit about it and the kid had to sit out games. Was cleared to play and once again during the tourney time because his mom who was living in Huber had to return to Gary for personal things making him ineligible for tourney games.

As for Yellow Springs all you have to do and check to see if they have a football program.......

As for Centerville community, they ran Staley out of town because he started his own son over others.... so yes, it will happen.

I can care less about who transfers to Centerville. That is not the point I and others are making.... it is how people react to it compared to other schools who are, well, lets say more diverse. I mean, you had a RB suit up for Colonel White/T-Marshall (not sure what they were called back then) show up in a scrimmage game against Centerville. The next day he was enrolled at Centerville. Didn't hear anything negative about that but when Channels came to Wayne after his coach stole OSU tickets from him as was taking advantage of him ... all h^ll broke loose......

Again... I can care less who transfers where and for what reasons.....

Not to get into that argument and I have no idea if Douglass is still doing it but I know for a fact that he was recruiting players at Wayne when he was at Trotwood. As for the Arcanum QB, it this move can increase his chances into getting a better scholarship then more power to him. Not sure why he didn't go to a closer school such as Northmont.......
If he is who cares he's not and never was the only one, I never cared and don't care now, my issue is that why is it deemed as a positive since it's Centerville: the article supports the perception of social prejudices and one school is better than the others.

The kid that came to Wayne from Gary Indiana saw his best friend shot to death in front of him. Any parent would of gotten him out of that situation and they only knew Trice through AAU. It had nothing to do with basketball but life and death. It was a shame that some GWOC coaches had a fit about it and the kid had to sit out games. Was cleared to play and once again during the tourney time because his mom who was living in Huber had to return to Gary for personal things making him ineligible for tourney games.

As for Yellow Springs all you have to do and check to see if they have a football program.......

As for Centerville community, they ran Staley out of town because he started his own son over others.... so yes, it will happen.

I can care less about who transfers to Centerville. That is not the point I and others are making.... it is how people react to it compared to other schools who are, well, lets say more diverse. I mean, you had a RB suit up for Colonel White/T-Marshall (not sure what they were called back then) show up in a scrimmage game against Centerville. The next day he was enrolled at Centerville. Didn't hear anything negative about that but when Channels came to Wayne after his coach stole OSU tickets from him as was taking advantage of him ... all h^ll broke loose......

Again... I can care less who transfers where and for what reasons.....
Not sure who "they" are in Centerville but I doubt one parent could do it. Staley wasn't renewed for a variety of reasons but not sure it was playing Jimmy. Although that was painful to watch for everyone (except opponents I imagine).