St.Edward 2004

GencoEd,

You tell Mr. Flaherty that King Carryoca says hello and I wish him well. He will know who it is. Also Kevin K and his collarbone is doing well too. I will see him tonight after he arrived in town.

GencoEd,

Your boy TJ called me at home early this morning. He is looking for some guys to play football Saturday in a league with him. I told him it's in my semi pro baseball contract that I am prohibited from playing basketball or football during baseball season. Plus, I will be out watching Marietta play at B-W in baseball Saturday @ 1PM.

Edge: I'm assuming that you graduated from St. Ed's in 1986, making you roughly 36 years old. You play on a "semi-pro" baseball team that restricts what you do in your leisure? Do they pay you?

CatAlum,

I actually graduated in 1987 and 36 is closing in...lol.

The team has never restricted me from things I want to do in my free time. Competitive baseball just happens to be one of the many things I enjoy in the summer. We normally play 3 times a week, but I have helped to add games outside of the league to play the best competition. This team is made up of people from 20-35. It's a great mix and a good group of guys that really get along. No, I don't get paid. The top team in Ohio is known over the years to pay a pitcher $150 just to pitch a game. We play because we love the game, not because we can make a buck off of it. We are always looking for sponsors since it isn't cheap to run the team with all it's expenses. I did recruit sophomore 2B Greg King (2002 St.Ignatius State Champs) from Muskingum College to come and play for us this summer. He is having a very good season this spring and he was a full time starter last year as a freshman.

Every guy on the team was a top player somewhere. They all played college baseball or professional and I find it tougher every year to out perform the younger guys. I personally love the competition and push myself to be in great shape physically and better then the next guy. If your interested in looking at our team site I believe I posted it on page 24 of this thread.

Edge, why only five offensive linemen? Seems you have a slew of running backs, but limit the linemen. I think you should have seven O line.

I guess that's your position predjudice showing?? Once a running back always a running back :)

OK....We can add 2 offensive lineman pushing it to a total of 7 and raise the total to 6 defensive tackles.

People will have to help me fill in 2 more offensive lineman and the rest of the defensive lineman.

1st Team Offense

3 QB - B. Adams, S. Carney, D. Lavelle

4 RB - C. Williams, R. Stover, K. Farmer, D. Andrews

2 FB - J. Portale

7 OL - J.McConville, T. McCormick, K. O'Keefe, J. Hines, A. Boone

2 TE - C.Sestili, D.Tyler

4 WR - M. Angelo, R. Gray, C. Haas, B. Ganor

1 K - B. Pierce

2 KR - D. Groce, H. Nakamura

NEEDS: 1 QB, 2 OL and a FB.

spongebob,
I was also considering Bob Misch, Dan McHugh and Steve Joeken. If Lavelle stays on the 1st team then these three will most likely make up the 2nd team of QB's.

1st Team Defense

6 DT - B. Flannery, B. Lenart, D. King, D. Card, E. Trapanier, G. Fox

4 DE - R. Bailey, R. Keenan, R. Mirando, K. Andler

5 LB - T. Cousineau, P. Girgash, E. Lester, M. Reichard, S. Lowe

4 CB - D. Groce, R. Story

2 S - H. Nakamura, C. Lepore

2 PR - D. Groce, D. Andrews

1 P - G. Paydock

Needs: 1 LB, 2 CB.

Linebacker's considered for the last spot on the 1st team are Steve Lowe (North Carolina), Bob Birt, Pete Sexton, Doug Fee, etc.

how does kleinsmith compare to paydock in punting/ both all-ohio punters as juniors. not having seen paydock, kleinsmith has exceptional hang time and great directional punter. what was paydock like?

I don't remember Paydock as clearly as some of the other posters I'm sure... but I don't remember him being quite as good as Joe K. Joe's punts are so high and almost always tight spirals that they are almost impossible to return. Couple that with the fact that he is probably the best athlete on the team... I would much rather have him as the last guy back on coverage instead of George.

George Paydock

Only player in the history of the school to be named First Team All-Ohio 2 years in a row. Alex Boone has a very good chance of being the second player to do so.

George Paydock - Best Punting Avg. 41.26 in 1990.
George Paydock - Best Punting Avg. 40.13 in a Career (1987-90)

As of this moment I would hold firm on Paydock. He was outstanding. Kleinsmith could unseat him with an even better year punting in 2004.

George Paydock was one tough kicker. In CYO soccer, he leveled me with a good right hook because he didn't agree with my defensive tactics.

Some names I need help with!
Big Ed Trapanier ('70) and Jim Gresback ('71). Were they named All-Ohio for offense or defense on the line?

Bob Hillard ('79) and Mark Vitko ('81). DE or TE?

Frank Kolencik ('76) What position did he get named All-Ohio at?
Brian O'Meara ('78) He was named All-American, but at what position? Why wasn't he named 1st team All-Ohio if he was an All-American?

DeJuan Groce is the other Eagle that wasn't named 1st team All-Ohio, but received All-American honors.

fallsdog,
Legend has it that I cleared out a two floor (packed) bar on the Westside of the Flats in about a minute flat. I have witnesses too to back the story up. Plus the guy who owned the Gyro stand outside the bar could testify too.

Interesting stuff.

I would go with Paydock #1 kicker too.

As for QB, I would keep Denis Lavelle on the First Team (and start him...)

Edge,
Ed Trepanier was a DT, 6'5 270. He went to Ohio State but didn't get along with Woody.

Gresback graduated in '81.

I'd go with Paydock too but I think Kleinsmith may break his and Pierce's punting and kicking records.

Does anyone think Trepanier is first team over Card, Thompson or Fox at DT? I used to hear from a former St.Ed's grad who coach's at Ignatius about Big Ed Trapanier and what a force he was. At 6'5 270 with a scholarship to Ohio St. and 1st team All-Ohio I believe he belongs 1st team. I am thinking Zach Thompson falls to 2nd team.

Can anyone tell me how big Fox was at MG and where he went to school?

spongebob,

My mistake on Gresback. He was All-Ohio in 1980. Was that at DT or OT? Size?

fortyeight said:
did paydock play a position on off or def?

fortyeight,

I don't remember Paydock doing anything but kicking and punting.
As for being selected 1st team on the All-St.Edward team. Playing another position wouldn't matter when it comes to selecting him as the best Punter at this point. I do agree with Spongebob as I stated earlier that I think Kleinsmith has a very good chance to unseat Paydock. Also Pierce too if his kicking improves! At this point in time Kleinsmith would be my # 2 kicker and punter on the all-time team.

never saw paydock play...sounds like a gamer...not to mention although it was not that long ago..i'm sure his skills were self taught.not alot of camps and kicking schools then.just curious, did he boom the ball or consistent 40+yd punter..thanks.does the school keep an archive of old game films..would love to see spme of the championship teams from the past.

When does football conditioning, practices, etc start for the incoming freshman class?

What kind of numbers could we expect to see come out for freshman football?

Any kids anyone could name right now that should standout in freshman football?

There's a highlight video of the '75 team that I've seen. Pat Duffy put it together for their 10th anniversary.

The "old" game films from the '70's, that were on 8mm reels, were all pitched by the school several years ago. Some of the guys were fortunate to get their hands on some.

There's a project for some ambitious person, put out a call for old game or highlight films and put together a compendium. I have some film from 1973 and the complete 3OT Iggy game from 1993.

I have most of the 91 season game films on VHS, including the 14-10 win over Iggy.

There's also the game from Niles McKinley when Joe Mazzone returned a kickoff for a TD late in the 4th Quarter. You can hear Coach Urbas and the rest of the box go crazy as soon as he breaks free...you see them jump in front of the camera...it's pretty funny!

Fortyeight -- Pierce broke I believe all of George's kicking records. He had a total of five games that he scored 3 fgs, along with the 12 career ints. (8 junior year 4 senior year)