What Movies Did You Watch in April 2022?

The Clovehitch Killer (2018) 4.5/8 Dylan McDermott stars as a family man with a dark secret. A serial killer reeked havoc on a small Kentucky town for years before suddenly stopping. 10 years later a teenager begins to suspect something is off with his dad and with the help of a friend begins to investigate. A couple of twist and turns, definitely worth a watch for a low budget indy film. McDermott is pretty good in the lead role.

Turning Red - New Pixar/Disney film. The best ever Disney film about menstruations (sort of). Pretty good film with a diverse cast of characters. Encourages diversity without being obvious or preachy. I liked everything about it, except maybe the celebration of the "boy band" phenomena. A nostalgic period piece from the early 21st century (wait what?). Yep, time moves on my friends.

6/8

The batman 1/8 A long slow slog of intelligence rending, bad acting, inconsistent accents and verbalized inner-dialogue with the worst flirt scene since "sands gets everywhere." About a fourth through and seems like hours.

Been watching movies with the kids on these rainy days

Shrek 2 (2004) - Chock full of creative winks and nods that will sail over your kids' heads. 90% of the jokes are reference humor as opposed to slapstick, visual, or clever wordplay. There's a scene where a giant gingerbread man destroys the fairy tale land version of a Starbucks, so everyone runs out of the building across the street to the other Starbucks. Okay, I get it. But am I the target audience for this movie? 3.5/8

Dennis the Menace (1993)
- This really deserves more love as a truly great family comedy. Because it's actually FUNNY. I'd put it up there with the first two "Home Alone" films. There's great slapstick, lines, visual, and subtle adult humor. Even the serious moments still set up a good laugh, aside from an angry monologue in the third act played perfectly by the late Walter Matthau as Mr. Wilson. 6.1/8

Father Stu (2022) - Good movie, overall. Had only read a little bit about the movie ahead of time, so there was some surprising plot twists that make the story pretty interesting. Great performance by Mark Wahlberg, who apparently financed a large amount of the movie himself. Also a good performance by Mel Gibson, who I don't know if he's done much since the drunken anti-sematic rant of years ago. The role actually fits him, ironically enough. 6.5/8

Been watching movies with the kids on these rainy days

Shrek 2 (2004) - Chock full of creative winks and nods that will sail over your kids' heads. 90% of the jokes are reference humor as opposed to slapstick, visual, or clever wordplay. There's a scene where a giant gingerbread man destroys the fairy tale land version of a Starbucks, so everyone runs out of the building across the street to the other Starbucks. Okay, I get it. But am I the target audience for this movie? 3.5/8

Dennis the Menace (1993)
- This really deserves more love as a truly great family comedy. Because it's actually FUNNY. I'd put it up there with the first two "Home Alone" films. There's great slapstick, lines, visual, and subtle adult humor. Even the serious moments still set up a good laugh, aside from an angry monologue in the third act played perfectly by the late Walter Matthau as Mr. Wilson. 6.1/8

aww really, Shrek 2 is the best one IMO.

aww really, Shrek 2 is the best one IMO.
It probably is, but I have no idea who it's meant for. I don't think the humor aged all that great. Again, it came out in 2004, so it seems a little too "RAWR" for today's millenials, but all the cultural references will fly over today's kids' heads.

It probably is, but I have no idea who it's meant for. I don't think the humor aged all that great. Again, it came out in 2004, so it seems a little too "RAWR" for today's millenials, but all the cultural references will fly over today's kids' heads.

Scare Me (2020)

Comedy Horror: There are two horror movies with this title for the same year so this one was directed by Ruben. Two horror writers spend the night telling scary stories in a cabin during a power outage. This is not an anthology as they act out the stories with improv. Frankly, I found it incredibly boring and got tired of the feminist point of view.... 2.5/8

SICARIO (2015)

Action Thriller, US agents vs a Mexican cartel. As these types of movies go, this one is my favorite.

Josh Brolin, Benicio del Toro, and Emily Blunt.

SICARIO (2015)

Action Thriller, US agents vs a Mexican cartel. As these types of movies go, this one is my favorite.

Josh Brolin, Benicio del Toro, and Emily Blunt.
One of mine as well. Brolin and del Toro were awesome. Over the past 7 years or so this, Hell or High Water, and Den of Thieves are probably my favorites. I'm noticing a theme. Lol.

Santa Fe Trail (1940) - Interesting movie on many fronts. As the film focuses on J.E.B. Stuart (Errol Flynn) as a West Point grad, in "Bloody Kansas" and finally at John Brown's raid at Harpers Ferry, I wanted to see how they would deal with the pre Civil War heroics of someone who then fought as one of the most celebrated generals of the Confederacy. The interplay of Stuart with his classmates of the West Point class of 1854, who would eventually fight against each other in the Civil War, was a main theme of the film. Ronald Reagan played a young George Custer. The issue of slavery was portrayed in the manner of the "Lost Cause". Those with a leaning to the Union saw slavery as the crime against humanity that it was, while Stuart himself spoke of it as an unpleasantness that would and should end as the Southern states could work it out. A gentle paternalism was shown to the African Americans in the film who were portrayed as pawns in the bigger struggle. John Brown was portrayed as a monster who was motivated by a worthy cause, but who became an extremist and a terrorist.

5/8

Last edited:
The Pale Door (2020)

Horror: Western, A gang of thieves who rob a train come across something unexpected. This one was kind of stagnant..... 3.0/8

Last night I binged watched a Netflix series entitled "The Game." It was set in Victorian England and was about the evolvement of soccer from a sport dominated by preppies to one played by paid professionals. Worth a 5/8.

Last night I binged watched a Netflix series entitled "The Game." It was set in Victorian England and was about the evolvement of soccer from a sport dominated by preppies to one played by paid professionals. Worth a 5/8.

I enjoyed that too. 5/8 seems about right.

The Gathering Storm: 6/8 Good honest moves depicting lead up to WWII societies in Germany and England are sparse at best. There is so much to tell. This is the "Churchill" movie I like most, More realistic about who and what he was, his real driving force and shows the contributions of others, less known. Still pulls a lot of punches regards Churchill but he really isn't the point of the story and anything further wold have taken it off track.

The Cellar (Ireland-2022)

Horror: We got a family moving into an older home a ways out and the first night the kiddies are left alone when the power goes out. The fuse box is in the cellar and the daughter heads on down and is not seen again...... What is going on down there? ..... 4.5/8

Hoop Dreams 8/8

What was supposed to be a half hour PBS special turned into 3 hour documentary with a full theatrical release. Following 2 kids from inner city Chicago and their dream of making the NBA. This is the first time I have watched this since seeing it in the theatre back in 1994, and it still is just as poignant and immersive as I remember, filled with highs, lows and everything in between. In my opinion one of the best documentaries or sports movies ever made.

Nobody (2021)- Bob Odenkirk plays a guy whose house is broken into and goes on a vigilante spree. Kind of a Death Wish/Falling Down feel. I only made it through about a half hour of this predictable implausible mess so I can't rate it. Don't waste your time.

"White Hot: the Rise and Fall of Abercrombie & Fitch" shown on Netflix. When I went through malls and saw their advertising, I immediately thought its advertising was so gay. It featured preppie males with a cut six-pack build frolicking, sans clothes except for briefs. The CEO and the stores' chief photographer were later shown to be hidden gays. And the staff in their stores had to be the white preppie sort and the women sorority types, all of which led to numerous lawsuits which came close to destroying the company. I'd give it a 7/8.

Decision Before Dawn 6/8 WWII movie. One trait I like about movies made around the time of the war, they know the audience is going to understand somethings without the long exposition we'd get from a modern movie. I'd mentioned a line in the Jimmy Stewart movie The Mortal Storm that was said in the same way. In this one, a "buffoonish" SS functionary sees a soldier (our hero) with some cash and offers to sell him a nice gold necklace and a wedding ring.... "no," next scene. If looking for a WWII movie that covers something other than the usual, this one will do that.

Saw a blurb someone might make a movie about Charlie Brown (not that one) and Franz Stigler. If you've not heard of them, it's worth a google.

Last edited:
Santa Fe Trail (1940) - Interesting movie on many fronts. As the film focuses on J.E.B. Stuart (Error Flynn) as a West Point grad, in "Bloody Kansas" and finally at John Brown's raid at Harpers Ferry, I wanted to see how they would deal with the pre Civil War heroics of someone who then fought as one of the most celebrated generals of the Confederacy. The interplay of Stuart with his classmates of the West Point class of 1854, who would eventually fight against each other in the Civil War, was a main theme of the film. Ronald Reagan played a young George Custer. The issue of slavery was portrayed in the manner of the "Lost Cause". Those with a leaning to the Union saw slavery as the crime against humanity that it was, while Stuart himself spoke of it as an unpleasantness that would and should end as the Southern states could work it out. A gentle paternalism was shown to the African Americans in the film who were portrayed as pawns in the bigger struggle. John Brown was portrayed as a monster who was motivated by a worthy cause, but who became an extremist and a terrorist.

5/6
Spot on summary. Something that jumped out at me was the number of folks in that class with military forts named after them, Stewart, Sheridan, Hood,,

The Flowers of St. Francis (1950) - An Italian film telling the story of the founding of the Franciscan order. Odd in the manner of telling its story in chapter form. It was sometimes silly in its presentation. Several of the roles were played by actual monks, including the starring role. Italian with English subtitles.

5/8

Deep Water (2022) 5.5/8 Ben Affleck and Ana De Armas star in this thriller about a struggling married couple dealing with the the wife's infidelity. De Armas spends the movie bouncing from man to man, cheating on Affleck in their home while he's there and at parties with their friends with multiple men. Affleck is pushed to the edge and starts to take action. Not a bad movie, maybe a little too much going on to make it believable, but it gets an extra point for De Armas being a smokeshow and multiple scenes that make it worth watching.