UC Bearcats

Hired Coombs as CBs coach and special teams coordinator.

This is probably a big win for UC is regards to recruiting SW Ohio, and may hurt schools like UK that have made a living scooping up 3 and lower 4 star Ohio talent that don't get offered by Ohio State or any of major recruiting powers. UC may have those kids on lockdown now.

Coombs coming back and Gino being promoted to OC. Have to think, if he does a good job, Gino will be getting better offers in a year or so, but could he stick around despite all of that given that it's his alma mater?

I'm liking the coaching moves so far and with certain pieces coming back and the transfers coming in so far, there's no reason to think this team can't compete for the AAC in 2022 and earn a spot in the top 25. A lot riding on defensive replacements and QB play, though.

In other news, the Bearcats have added some transfers from the portal:
-QB Ben Bryant is back after a year at EMU to battle Prater for Ridder's replacement
-LB Ivan Pace comes over from Miami (OH) as the reigning MAC Defensive POY, joining his brother DeShawn
-WR Nick Mardner comes in from Hawaii - had almost 1000 rec yard last year

They've also brought back some pieces who will be using their Covid year:
-LB Wilson Huber
-FS Ja'Von Hicks
-TE Leonard Taylor - I heard this one but haven't seen it confirmed
If Prater can't beat out Bryant and live up to his recruiting ranking...better make sure that ground game is solid.

Coombs coming back and Gino being promoted to OC. Have to think, if he does a good job, Gino will be getting better offers in a year or so, but could he stick around despite all of that given that it's his alma mater?

I'm liking the coaching moves so far and with certain pieces coming back and the transfers coming in so far, there's no reason to think this team can't compete for the AAC in 2022 and earn a spot in the top 25. A lot riding on defensive replacements and QB play, though.
Denbrock held positions at bigger schools and was at UC for 5 years. Whether that was loyalty to Fickell or him needing to build himself up - I can't see Gino getting better offers in a year or so unless the offense completely takes off. This will be his first year as a Coordinator. In 3-4 years, maybe other schools will come calling.

If Prater can't beat out Bryant and live up to his recruiting ranking...better make sure that ground game is solid.
No doubt Prater has much more upside and is a much better option to take the reins, but apparently there's an accuracy issue. Doesn't matter what type of arm talent you have if you can't hit your WRs.

Denbrock held positions at bigger schools and was at UC for 5 years. Whether that was loyalty to Fickell or him needing to build himself up - I can't see Gino getting better offers in a year or so unless the offense completely takes off. This will be his first year as a Coordinator. In 3-4 years, maybe other schools will come calling.
Good point. I guess I didn't even realize Denbrock had been here that long. If he does do a good job and the offers come in in a few years, maybe that's when Fick leaves for something larger (assuming continued success) and Gino takes over as HC if he's got the chops for it. All in all, still a lot to be excited about moving forward.

Good point. I guess I didn't even realize Denbrock had been here that long. If he does do a good job and the offers come in in a few years, maybe that's when Fick leaves for something larger (assuming continued success) and Gino takes over as HC if he's got the chops for it. All in all, still a lot to be excited about moving forward.
Absolutely. If coaches, whether the head coach, coordinators or position coaches are being poached and looked at as UC's have been so far this off-season, that means you're doing something right.

I'm interested to see how the offense changes under Gino. Does he go more tempo? Does he really not change much since they've been solid the past several year? The biggest thing I hope to see is some creativity, especially against the better teams on the schedule. Denbrock called some stale games against Georgia and Alabama.

Cincinnati.com had an article showing the players returning - they have 2-3 on the OL coming back. Both TEs are back. Also say that Vann as coming back at DE. The biggest loss going into next season IMO is Ford. Obviously it'll be tough to replace guys like Ridder, Sanders, Gardner, Bryant, and Deblanko, but they're going to need Montgomery, McClelland and Wright to step up.

I expected them to take a step back next year, but with the recent replacement hires on staff and the guys they're bringing back, there's no reason they can't find themselves in the AAC Title game again and shot at another NY6.

Absolutely. If coaches, whether the head coach, coordinators or position coaches are being poached and looked at as UC's have been so far this off-season, that means you're doing something right.

I'm interested to see how the offense changes under Gino. Does he go more tempo? Does he really not change much since they've been solid the past several year? The biggest thing I hope to see is some creativity, especially against the better teams on the schedule. Denbrock called some stale games against Georgia and Alabama.

Cincinnati.com had an article showing the players returning - they have 2-3 on the OL coming back. Both TEs are back. Also say that Vann as coming back at DE. The biggest loss going into next season IMO is Ford. Obviously it'll be tough to replace guys like Ridder, Sanders, Gardner, Bryant, and Deblanko, but they're going to need Montgomery, McClelland and Wright to step up.

I expected them to take a step back next year, but with the recent replacement hires on staff and the guys they're bringing back, there's no reason they can't find themselves in the AAC Title game again and shot at another NY6.
I feel like the offense will try to be more creative and pick up the pace a bit. I'm just basing that on the age difference between Denbrock and Gino. About a 20 year age difference so kinda old school vs. new school, and the young coaches seem to be more aggressive and take risks.

I actually think the entire OL is coming back so that should be a huge boost to whoever's playing QB and hopefully having an easier transition from Ford to the next man up.

The entire OL might be coming back but let's face it, that is the weakness of the team at this point. With an inexperienced QB it will be even tougher to hide any deficiencies in the group. Also are they working the soccer program to find a kicker? Oh no they cannot because they KOed that program.

The entire OL might be coming back but let's face it, that is the weakness of the team at this point. With an inexperienced QB it will be even tougher to hide any deficiencies in the group. Also are they working the soccer program to find a kicker? Oh no they cannot because they KOed that program.
They picked up a kicker in the transfer portal I believe. As for the OL being the biggest weakness, bringing back 5 guys who played 14 games last year is a big deal, regardless of their struggles this year. I'll take another year in the weight room and all that experience to go along with a new OL coach.

Cinci will be interesting next year. They will lose a lot of top players. I don't think the loss of Ridder is going to be that big of a deal. I never really liked him that much. I thought he was solid, but he didn't always come through. The kid backing him up I think will be better. Going into the B12 is going to bring some more name recognition. I can see them getting some bigger recruits because of it. I don't know if Fickell will ever leave if he hasn't yet. He may just like it in Cinci. I guess I could see him leaving to go back to tOSU, but that job may never come up. With Cinci being in the Big 12, they will have opportunities for the playoffs. Where will he be able to go? There may not be a school where he can go that will enable him to achieve more. In the Power 5 conferences, there is always a big dog that is almost impossible for the lesser conference teams to beat. In the Big 12, which is still and will be a P5 conference when Cinci goes in, he will be able to recruit well enough to beat all of those schools, and then get into the playoffs. I think he should stay where he is unless the tOSU job opens up. There really isn't a better job out there.

I don't think Prater is going to be better than Ridder. He does have more natural arm talent, but he hasn't played any meaningful snaps yet, so it's hard to make a comment like that.

As far as Fickell goes, I think he would have left this past season if the Bearcats weren't in the Playoff. Maybe I'm wrong, but you knew he wasn't going anywhere so long as Cincinnati was in the Playoff mix this year and even more so once they made it.

With word that the move to the Big 12 is likely happening in 2023, that means one more year in the AAC, so yes there would be no reason to leave unless he believes Cincinnati can't compete in the new Big 12. I do think if Ohio State comes calling for him, he will leave but he seems to like Cincinnati, he recruits extremely well here and he still has young kids in elementary and high school here.

Those thinking UC is going to walk into the New Big12 and win it every year from the jump need to bring themselves back down to earth. Can UC be the best team in that conference? Absolutely. Should that be the expectation every year? Definitely. Now will there be some growing pains in that transition? Yes, no doubt about it. I would bet it will take 3 years, if not longer for them to win a Big12 title.

I don't think Prater is going to be better than Ridder. He does have more natural arm talent, but he hasn't played any meaningful snaps yet, so it's hard to make a comment like that.

As far as Fickell goes, I think he would have left this past season if the Bearcats weren't in the Playoff. Maybe I'm wrong, but you knew he wasn't going anywhere so long as Cincinnati was in the Playoff mix this year and even more so once they made it.

With word that the move to the Big 12 is likely happening in 2023, that means one more year in the AAC, so yes there would be no reason to leave unless he believes Cincinnati can't compete in the new Big 12. I do think if Ohio State comes calling for him, he will leave but he seems to like Cincinnati, he recruits extremely well here and he still has young kids in elementary and high school here.

Those thinking UC is going to walk into the New Big12 and win it every year from the jump need to bring themselves back down to earth. Can UC be the best team in that conference? Absolutely. Should that be the expectation every year? Definitely. Now will there be some growing pains in that transition? Yes, no doubt about it. I would bet it will take 3 years, if not longer for them to win a Big12 title.
Agree with a lot of what you are saying here. You're right saying the Big 12 will not be a pushover. The best teams from the AAC are coming with Cinci, and those teams are good and can beat Cinci. Right now, TCU, Baylor, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, West Virginia, Texan Tech, BYU, and Kansas State are all pretty good programs. It will take a couple of years to get the recruits needed to win this conference. In the first year if Cinci goes 8-4, that would be a success. That WVU game is going to be interesting. I think that game will become a big rivalry game. Because of proximity and recruting areas, winning that game is going to be pivotal to Cinci. This is exciting though. I know some people on here don't think the new Big 12 minus OU and Texas should not be in the P5, but Texas has only won ten games once in the last ten years, and between 2010 - 2021, they have had five losing seasons. They are supposed to be a blue-blood of college football, but these guys are taking it to them. OU is a loss, but even they didn't win the conference this year, and once they go into the SEC, they will be a distant memory. But Cinci is going to have to improve a lot to compete with and beat on a regular basis most of these teams. In the long run, it will be good for them because now they will have more in roads to recruiting kids out of Texas. That will be really good for them.

UC winning 11 to 13 games a season in the AAC is one thing, winning 11 to 13 games per season in the Big 12 is going to be really tough. Even with Oklahoma and Texas leaving, the level of competition is going to be a lot more demanding. It is one thing to play Power 5 schools 2 or 3 times a season, it is a whole different deal playing Power 5 schools 9 or 10 weeks of the season.

I think UC can compete in the Big 12 and their recruiting should naturally improve being able to get better players, but it is going to be a lot tougher than playing in the AAC.

UC winning 11 to 13 games a season in the AAC is one thing, winning 11 to 13 games per season in the Big 12 is going to be really tough. Even with Oklahoma and Texas leaving, the level of competition is going to be a lot more demanding. It is one thing to play Power 5 schools 2 or 3 times a season, it is a whole different deal playing Power 5 schools 9 or 10 weeks of the season.

I think UC can compete in the Big 12 and their recruiting should naturally improve being able to get better players, but it is going to be a lot tougher than playing in the AAC.
Not that I disagree with what you're saying here, but there are only a handful of programs that win 11-13 games in a given year. So that assessment alone is kind of silly to say.

If UC comes into the Big12 and wins 9 games in their first season it'll be a success. I think the expectation should be about 8 wins that first season. If they don't win 10-11 games in the AAC this coming Fall, then it would be pretty disappointing IMO.

That is fair. I was just saying 11 to 13 wins because that is what it will take to get into the college playoff or major bowl games each season

Wait.......So you're saying the Bearcats playing a schedule of Okie State, Baylor, Texas Tech, K-State, WVU, Iowa State, and TCU is gonna' be more challenging than playing Tulane, ECU, USF, and Tulsa??? Quick, call the BIG12 and tell em' we changed our minds. Thanks for the heads up!!!

That is fair. I was just saying 11 to 13 wins because that is what it will take to get into the college playoff or major bowl games each season
Yes UC made the Playoff last year and that should be the goal every year, but it took a perfect storm - special class, multiple P5 Champs with multiple losses, winning on the road against a top 5 team in ND - just to get there.

But Bearcat fans need to be realistic. There have only been 13 different teams to make the Playoff in 7 years. Along with only 6 teams to ever win Playoff games and only 5 different Champions.
Not making the Playoff isn't a failure of a season as it's a very exclusive club to begin with.

Now begs the question of Bryant or Prater?

I vote Prater.
Bryant adds nothing special to the position. If he’s the starter, he’s a game manager and you’re relying on the ground game and defense to win you games. Not saying he can or will go out and win you games, but if Prater can throw it well enough, he adds such a threat with his legs that it makes the offense more dynamic. Don’t think you get that at all with Bryant.

Now begs the question of Bryant or Prater?

I vote Prater.
Adding Kiner to go with the backs they already have is big, and likely means whoever can move the chains through the air will win the job. Obviously Prater brings another dynamic with his legs, but you can get him involved in packages where you use that. Ridder barely ran the ball last season, not that I particularly agreed with that philosophy, but they proved they can win without relying on having a running QB. If Bryant proves to be more than a game manager, then I think it's his job because they're going to need consistency even if Prater has more upside.

Adding Kiner to go with the backs they already have is big, and likely means whoever can move the chains through the air will win the job. Obviously Prater brings another dynamic with his legs, but you can get him involved in packages where you use that. Ridder barely ran the ball last season, not that I particularly agreed with that philosophy, but they proved they can win without relying on having a running QB. If Bryant proves to be more than a game manager, then I think it's his job because they're going to need consistency even if Prater has more upside.
I just can't see Bryant being more than a game manager, at best. His numbers at Eastern Michigan last season were pedestrian. I understand he had lesser talent around him, but he was also playing lesser talent for the most part. He even got benched in their bowl game against Liberty, who, aside from Malik Willis, was not a talented team. If he wins the job, I hope he does great, has a breakout year, but I certainly won't be excited about it.

I just can't see Bryant being more than a game manager, at best. His numbers at Eastern Michigan last season were pedestrian. I understand he had lesser talent around him, but he was also playing lesser talent for the most part. He even got benched in their bowl game against Liberty, who, aside from Malik Willis, was not a talented team. If he wins the job, I hope he does great, has a breakout year, but I certainly won't be excited about it.
To be clear, if Bryant is the starter I believe it'll be more Prater losing the battle than Bryant winning it. The only knock I've heard on Prater is his accuracy issues, so with most of the OL back and a stable of backs, they're going to be a run heavy team. Prater brings another element of that running game, but if he can't hit WRs when he needs to, then it's not going to work as teams stack the box and dare him to beat them over the top.