Holdbacks

Let's be honest, the only thing worse than a holdback is a state champ in a freshman-dominated weight class even though most of the freshmen in that bracket were holdbacks and really should be sophomores or juniors not to mention the sophomores and juniors in the bracket that really should be seniors and college freshman. I suspect many were recruited also.

I support a resolution that people do whatever they feel is right for their kid, socially, academically, and athletically. Wrestling is just a small part of the experience of growing up from a child into young adulthood. It can be a great foundation for living a successful life when kept in the proper balance. If a scholarship to college was the ultimate goal, we would all be better served by sending kids to Math Camp every weekend rather than devoting so much time energy, and resources to wrestling. The reality is that a tiny % of high school wrestlers are awarded full rides for athletics- even the best of the best. Big picture, it makes little difference if a kid graduates college at 21 or 23. And for those who wrestle in college - at any level- it is a mental and physical grind where only the strongest survive. What matters more is how prepared they are to transform into a functioning adult. Some of us take a little longer than others.

Last edited:
Let's be honest, the only thing worse than a holdback is a state champ in a freshman-dominated weight class even though most of the freshmen in that bracket were holdbacks and really should be sophomores or juniors not to mention the sophomores and juniors in the bracket that really should be seniors and college freshman. I suspect many were recruited also.

I support a resolution that people do whatever they feel is right for their kid, socially, academically, and athletically. Big picture, wrestling is just a small part of the experience of growing up from a child into young adulthood. In the proper balance, it can be one of the greatest foundations to living a successful life. Problems can happen when that balance and perspective get tilted in the wrong direction. It makes little difference if a kid graduates college at 21 or 23. What matters more is how prepared they are to transform into a functioning adult. Some of us take a little longer than others.
Didnt your childs team have one of those 16-17 year old freshmen this year? Did you feel he had such a huge advantage? I know he placed not sure how high. Life isnt very fair never will be, you just have to play the cards you are dealt. Its a fact some kids develop faster then others. I would guess the numbers are getting closer and closer to as many kids being held back as being of whats considered normal age. Especially when you look at the state tournament. Most kids arent held back because they are already bigger then all the other kids or because they are way more mature and smarter than their classmates.

Didnt your childs team have one of those 16-17 year old freshmen this year? Did you feel he had such a huge advantage? I know he placed not sure how high. Life isnt very fair never will be, you just have to play the cards you are dealt. Its a fact some kids develop faster then others. I would guess the numbers are getting closer and closer to as many kids being held back as being of whats considered normal age. Especially when you look at the state tournament. Most kids arent held back because they are already bigger then all the other kids or because they are way more mature and smarter than their classmates.
Not sure what 16-17-year-old freshman you are referring to but if you re-read my post, I think we're saying the same thing. Life isn't always fair and we're not guaranteed an equal and level playing field. We have to adapt and try to overcome and teach our kids to do the same. I think that parents should do whatever they feel is best for their kids.

So your saying the 19 year old has such a huge advantage over the 18yr old who competes against the same kids? GTFOH with that craziness. Your comparing the oldest age to the youngest, the comparison should be between the oldest you can be and the oldest you think they should be allowed to be.
You did not read correctly GrizzlyDad. Why should a 14 year old freshman have to wrestle a 19 year old holdback?

14-18 years is a normal high school age. 19 is not a normal high school age.

I agree. Repeating is cheating.

You did not read correctly GrizzlyDad. Why should a 14 year old freshman have to wrestle a 19 year old holdback?

Do you think an 8th grader that has been in puberty for years should be allowed to wrestle a 7th grader that has not started puberty? By your logic, I would think that the 8th graders that started puberty way early should be banned from ms sports. I mean, thats whats fair for that 7th grader.

How is that any different than when the kid was 18 a few weeks before his 19th birthday and competing against 14-15 year old's?

What about 15 year old's that are built like Greek gods...should they be banned because their muscles are more mature?
There have been a few 14-15 year old's very successful in the past that had taken Testosterone, inducing puberty...Fact. We should be more concerned with that than splitting hairs over kid's that are held back a year.

Do what's best for your Son, every situation is different. And it's also well within the OHSAA rules.
100%. It's envy all day long and those complaining likely have kid's or know someone close in the sport whom would never achieve the same level as success as those a year older or in some cases 3-6 months. I've heard a mother cry her son got beat because the kid was 7 months older! That's the motivation of the crying.

Correct, 19 year olds should NOT compete in a division that includes 14-15 year olds.

I applaud that you chose education and personal development for you child but life is about choices and trade offs.

The physical advantage a 19 year old has over younger boys is similar to the physical advantage a man has over a woman.
What off he's 18 years old and 8 months? Lets say 18 years plus 6 month's?? What if the freshman is 14 years old and 6 months! he shouldn't be able to compete against those 14 and 2 months! More excuses than china has rice some of these parents complaining about this

MatMom55, JimmyChan, Cradle88 have won.
They/he/her have reeled us in and cast us back out at least 3 times in this thread.
Newbies, or an owner of multiple usernames.
Probably Sgt Crenshaw. Remember that “Proud Vet”?
And, why is Old142 now a “moderated user”?
So many questions.
I’m done on this thread… unless I see something shiny.

MatMom55, JimmyChan, Cradle88 have won.
They/he/her have reeled us in and cast us back out at least 3 times in this thread.
Newbies, or an owner of multiple usernames.
Probably Sgt Crenshaw. Remember that “Proud Vet”?
And, why is Old142 now a “moderated user”?
So many questions.
I’m done on this thread… unless I see something shiny.
I think because I used the "Dick" word, you know like "Dick Tracy" or something? I dont get it, could have been typo too right? I'm just saying. Well the shoe fit on my description either way. A few of the board warriors got it out for me good...I'm telling ya! Place is getting as bad as twitter .

Personally I feel sorry for these kids that get held back for athletic reasons(we call them Uncle Ricos). If it is an academic hold back then I have no issues with it. Most people are not honest enough to admit it is really athletic reasons they are holding their kid back and say it is "development" and "allow him to catch up". However at the end of the day it really does not matter. It is not my business, your business, or anyone else business other than the family. Who cares if he is a year or two older when he is a senior. My freshman wrestled 18 year old seniors when he was 14. What is the difference? Life is tough and I was not hanging my hat on my kid losing a match in Columbus because the kid was 19. Heck, when my youngest was in 4th grade he wrestled a kid with chest hair. Whoopty do. Life is tough. Move on and worry about your own kids and it will all work just fine. FTR I am totally against athletic hold backs and anyone that says it was the kids choice is just a flat out liar, but I am more against sticking my nose in others business or anyone else doing the same. If you are so concerned that the system is unfair, don't let your kids wrestle and they will never have to worry about it. Or toughen up and go compete. Either way this is a thread that has gone on far too long.

Personally I feel sorry for these kids that get held back for athletic reasons(we call them Uncle Ricos). If it is an academic hold back then I have no issues with it. Most people are not honest enough to admit it is really athletic reasons they are holding their kid back and say it is "development" and "allow him to catch up". However at the end of the day it really does not matter. It is not my business, your business, or anyone else business other than the family. Who cares if he is a year or two older when he is a senior. My freshman wrestled 18 year old seniors when he was 14. What is the difference? Life is tough and I was not hanging my hat on my kid losing a match in Columbus because the kid was 19. Heck, when my youngest was in 4th grade he wrestled a kid with chest hair. Whoopty do. Life is tough. Move on and worry about your own kids and it will all work just fine. FTR I am totally against athletic hold backs and anyone that says it was the kids choice is just a flat out liar, but I am more against sticking my nose in others business or anyone else doing the same. If you are so concerned that the system is unfair, don't let your kids wrestle and they will never have to worry about it. Or toughen up and go compete. Either way this is a thread that has gone on far too long.
Well said. Wrestling is a combat sport, and with it comes the understanding that nothing will ever come easy and there is no such thing as fair. If you want it bad enough, go and take it from someone.

A few of my HS team mates were growing beards at 15...I had no chest hair or facial hair until 19. I guarantee it was "advantageous" for them to hit puberty earlier, and I proved that as time went on with many of those I competed against. People start their kid's in kindergarten at different intervals, thats never going to change. I was a mid September Birthday, I could have easily been held back and graduated at 18 and 9 months, that following year ABSOLUTELY made a difference for myself. Point is as long as parents chose to start their kid earlier or later in kindergarten it's no different to hold them back later to "catch up" .....it's a riot though when I hear parents attempt to argue that. Even though some of their kids are OLDER than Junior high hold backs ...ridiculous. To your point, most parents will say " I started little Johny early in kindergarten for maturity reasons" there not going to mention if it was for sports! Anyways.... I can't "like" your post I'm on some kind of punishment...somebody turned me in. I called him "Richard" the short version ...and they didn't believe me I thought it was his name.

When you try to make everyone happy then nobody ends up happy scenario. It's a rule that has to address a population that matures physically and mentally at widely disparate rates. It won't kill your kid to lose once in awhile even if you perceive an inequity physically. A great wrestler can still win state even if they are not held back and in my experience most young men could use an extra year to mature.

It's my opinion and I respect and see the merit to hold backs.

Harrison Hightower won state 3 yrs in a row and turned 18 in March after senior states as an example of a wrestler with success. I concede that it was D2 and 10+ yrs ago

I wonder if holdbacks think about it at all when their title says Freshman but they are the age of most Sophomores of Juniors. We know what parents think because this topic comes up all the time on this board. I recall talking with a local kid at an open mats last year who I have known for years - held back early in grade school and again in 7th grade. When I asked him if he would still be eligible to wrestle his Senior year, he looked puzzled. When I explained to him the age restriction rules, he snapped back that he was a Freshman and that was all that mattered. Still wonder even now why the anger. Was it because he was embarrassed that he is a double holdback, or is it that he doesn't like the fact that people around him and this program all know, or something else? Not judging, but I just thought that encounter was interesting.
Not judging. Lol. Bs. If you really said that to a kid you should be ashamed. He might have snapped because some guy wanted to go high level shaming him instead of congratulating him on am awesome achievement. Those are the idiot dads that want to shame a kid.

I wonder if holdbacks think about it at all when their title says Freshman but they are the age of most Sophomores of Juniors. We know what parents think because this topic comes up all the time on this board. I recall talking with a local kid at an open mats last year who I have known for years - held back early in grade school and again in 7th grade. When I asked him if he would still be eligible to wrestle his Senior year, he looked puzzled. When I explained to him the age restriction rules, he snapped back that he was a Freshman and that was all that mattered. Still wonder even now why the anger. Was it because he was embarrassed that he is a double holdback, or is it that he doesn't like the fact that people around him and this program all know, or something else? Not judging, but I just thought that encounter was interesting.
Geez keep beating on that horse! Lol half these post have have a hold back or the other that HATE the held back kid? This is a never ending hate battle. Good luck to all them boys! And you parents? Let the kids wrestle and or Hold them back ?‍♂️

If it was just as easy as being 19 and your GUARANTEED a state title! Lol or just being older? How about the 15yr old who just turns 16 as a freshman that gets into the finals against a 19 yr old senior? Who cares! That 16 yr old just beat many 18 year olds 17 yr olds. And wrestled zero 15 or 16 year olds at state.You all get that right? It isn't just age! And a majority of your hold backs are already very successful wrestlers already and beating much older kids already also. It's called training and practice all year round.

Isn’t a freshman who starts on time 14. So HS is 14 15 16 17. And if a kid has an August-September birthday and parents choose to wait on kindergarten (which is fine) or held back later on they are still only 18 as a senior.

Isn’t a freshman who starts on time 14. So HS is 14 15 16 17. And if a kid has an August-September birthday and parents choose to wait on kindergarten (which is fine) or held back later on they are still only 18 as a senior.
More often than not it is:

9th grade = 14 at the start/15 at the end
10th = 15-16
11th = 16-17
12th = 17-18

The vast majority of students and or athletes I have worked with in my 25+ years as a teacher and coach fall into those numbers. There are obviously exceptions based on when a parent starts a kid but this is as close to a "norm" as you can go with.

In the rest of educational world, outside of the athletics arena, anyone 19 and over in the 12th grade is usually there due to a disability under the IDEA or a 504 plan.

With that sacrifice and extra year, a kid should be aiming for a school that bolsters his lifelong credentials (eg Brown, Cornell, Princeton, Case Western, Colby, Annapolis).

If you go to BoroFan and look at the class rankings for the current freshman class you will see the hold back impact in real time. I know that at least 7 of the top 10 are hold backs (it might be more). While you still have to have talent and work hard you can not say that the age difference and physical maturity doesn't have a significant impact. While some people will say "we did it when they were young for academic reasons" in regards to holding their son back, I'm not buying it. Not saying it hasn't happened from time to time but that is the exception and not the rule. All the kids I know that got held back were for athletic reasons and not because little "Johnny" struggled in math.

Unfortunately OHSAA opened Pandora's Box when they changed the rules, and as people always do they find the shortcuts or loopholes in the rules. So this won't change and as long as there is some type of monetary reward (scholarships) or social reward (qualifying, placing, or winning state) people will exacerbate the loopholes. Good learning lesson in life? Perhaps, but I feel it is wrong and against the "spirit" of what High School competition should be. You shouldn't be 19 at the start of your High School senior year, it's really that easy.

I may get persecuted but this is why I love USA Wrestling. Its age based not grade. I often laugh when i have parents get angry with me because their 7th grader is wrestling high school kids.

I fully support everyones right to hold kids back. My son was held back due to academic reasons and other outside issues none of which are sport related! He will never be a world beater by any means of the word!

I'd bet the kids don't give the age of the opponents a passing thought. They go out and compete, and leave it to the so-called adults to cry "no fair!".

Hint: Your kid wasn't winning the state no matter what. *

* - congrats to the two or three exceptions on the forum.

i did r

i did read it, people are crying that a 18 yr old can wrestle a 14 yr old but a 19 yr old is that huge of an advantage? i'd be curious to see how many matchups at the state tourney we had between 19 yr olds and 14 yr olds

i did r

i did read it, people are crying that a 18 yr old can wrestle a 14 yr old but a 19 yr old is that huge of an advantage? i'd be curious to see how many matchups at the state tourney we had between 19 yr olds and 14 yr olds
If it's more than 5 in the last 5 years id be surprised . I think it's funny that people will want to debate this advantage then say you can't talk about other advantages. Typical of people who only want things that fit the narrative they are looking for

Nobody is crying about it.
I'm not a Democrat with a political agenda. (Whoever wrote that is silly)
It's just an obvious fact that parents are exploiting the current rule.
Why not change it?
Life is about tradeoffs. If you stay behind to gain maturity and academic progress, then you give up a Sr year of athletics.
Let the holdbacks wrestle high school in 8th grade as a compromise?

Nobody is crying about it.
I'm not a Democrat with a political agenda. (Whoever wrote that is silly)
It's just an obvious fact that parents are exploiting the current rule.
Why not change it?
Life is about tradeoffs. If you stay behind to gain maturity and academic progress, then you give up a Sr year of athletics.
Let the holdbacks wrestle high school in 8th grade as a compromise?
Jimmy Biden, What should we do with the 90% of 14 and 15 year olds that will NEVER be as good as the 1 year holdbacks no matter what they do ? Participation trophies so mommy and daddy and "lil" Johny feel better? MOST of the time you're not seeing average or below average wrestlers held back who are 0-2 and BBQ at national age group events.