Ohio Heritage Conference 2022

I wish I had the answer to that...but unfortunately I do not...there are plenty of kids walking the halls inside the school that could definitely help...but they don't play...
Greeneview has had a lot of super athletic baseball/basketball kids over the years that would really helped the football team in places they lacked

looking through arbiter tonight.. Greenon has added Miami East for week 1 starting 2023 and beyond. not a bad pickup at all. I hate the drive to Miami East, but this will be a good series of former CBC rivals.

Greeneview will be open week 1 again in 2023 (Madison picked up Preble Shawnee)... hope the Rams can renew the rivalry with East Clinton!

OHC NON-LEAGUE opponents for 2022 (week 1 followed by week 2)

Greenon
@taylor
Northwestern

Greeneview
@Middletown Madison
Waynesville

Southeastern
Northwestern
@Ridgemont

Cedarville
@Fayetteville
East Clinton

Madison Plains
@Westfall
Zane Trace

Catholic Central
OPEN
Troy Christian

Northeastern
@Bethel
Riverside

West Liberty Salem
@Graham
Ben Logan

West Jefferson
Urbana
@Paint Valley

Mechanicsburg
@kenton ridge
Covington

Triad
@Ben Logan
North Union

Fairbanks
@Cardington Lincoln
Indian Lake

The state of Ohio preliminary enrollment numbers (https://www.ohsaa.org/school-resources/ ... enrollment) for 2022 are out but they do not include the competitive balance #'s, I believe those numbers come out in May/June of this year. These numbers are for boys only grade 9 thru 11 and are typically used for two years for school enrollment numbers. Here is the old cutoff numbers for football Division V, VI & VII which were used in 2018-2021:
* D5: 163 - 208
* D6: 122 - 162
* D7: 121 and below

Here are the OHC School (2018 Enrollment + Competitive Balance #), Current Enrollment
Greenon: (169+5), 191
Greeneview: (155+3), 159
Madison Plains: (167+2), 152
Springfield NE: (129+3), 150
West Jefferson: (152+9), 148
West Liberty-Salem: (152+18), 142
Fairbanks: (137+4), 140
Triad: (138+3), 111
Mechanicsburg: (123+5), 94
Southeastern: (97+9), 79
Cedarville: (81+0), 74
Springfield CC: (47+15), 51

Here is a best guess for 2022 and 2023 divisions assuming the Competitive Balance #'s for each school remain about the same as 2021:
* D5 - Greenon
* D5/D6 - Greeneview, WLS
* D6 - Madison Plains, Springfield NE, WJ, Fairbanks
* D7 - Triad, Mechanicsburg, Southeastern, Cedarville, Springfield CC

Just looking at the numbers, a couple of thoughts:
* Greenon & Greeneview - Twice the size of the everyone else in the OHC South excluding a rebuilding MP
* Mechanicsburg has a 30% drop in #'s. Gets away from Coldwater but will now have to contend with Marion Local in D7.
* How does Cedarville & Southeastern do it/maintain football with such little numbers
* Springfield CC has a good class of juniors to be (I believe) but what happens in two years after they leave?

honestly don’t have a clue how Greenon grew so much. there hasn’t been any new development. maybe the village is finally getting younger again, is my guess. at this rate we will outgrow the OHC (especially if the development on Stine road gets approved), just not sure how soon.

How does WLS have a higher competitive balance number than Catholic Central??

time for the conference to go big/small. it makes complete sense now.

Big
Greenon
Greeneview
West Liberty Salem
Madison Plains
Northeastern
West Jefferson

Small
Catholic Central
Cedarville
Southeastern
Fairbanks
Mechanicsburg
Triad

ghsknightsfan - Before Greenon outgrows the OHC, I'm more worried about Cedarville, Southeastern, SCC fielding a team, those are very low numbers. Regarding Greenon I would guess the community associates itself closer to the CBC. The move to the OHC was necessary for their football team, Greenon was riding a 20 something game losing streak and needed a change. Two good back to back classes with a D1 college qb - it appears their football program is trending in the right direction. Now, can the Greenon football program sustain it? Also I thought I read that the former Greenon qb transferred from South Dakota St, is that true and if so, do you know where he is headed?

ghsknightsfan - Before Greenon outgrows the OHC, I'm more worried about Cedarville, Southeastern, SCC fielding a team, those are very low numbers. Regarding Greenon I would guess the community associates itself closer to the CBC. The move to the OHC was necessary for their football team, Greenon was riding a 20 something game losing streak and needed a change. Two good back to back classes with a D1 college qb - it appears their football program is trending in the right direction. Now, can the Greenon football program sustain it? Also I thought I read that the former Greenon qb transferred from South Dakota St, is that true and if so, do you know where he is headed?

i would actually say the community associates themselves with the OHC more than they ever did with the CBC. a lot more relationships have been built between the communities in the South division. in the CBC it was Tecumseh, Shawnee, and Northwestern but we only shared a division with Northwestern so it was hard to call it a rivalry.

i would say i’m equally concerned about the 3 small schools shrinking as i am about Greenon outgrowing the league. i can almost guarantee Greenon doesn’t head back to the CBC- it would likely be the new TRC.

as for Greenon sustaining success- i think they have the right head coach to do so. the next few years are going to be lean in talent, but I heard they are working wonders with the youth program, and in 3 years or so Greenon should be consistently developing classes similar to that of the 2020/2021 classes, and hopefully some more special athletes like Rice (he was a once in a a decade kind of player)

I don't know how much longer Central is going to be able to maintain 11 man football with their numbers. 2/3rds of their kids this year were juniors and seniors, and I don't believe they had any freshmen that played.

Enrollment counts are current 9-11 grades, so factoring in 8th graders they probably have 65-70 high school boys on paper for next year. It's extremely hard to maintain having both football and soccer with that figure without having really high participation.

By what OHSAA is projecting, they're averaging about 34 kids total per high school class currently. That's noticeably smaller than just 5-10 years ago. They can't afford to downsize much more in enrollment.

Last edited:
SCC had 9 sophomores(which may be the most talented soph class in the OHC) and 10-12 8th graders coming up from an undefeated middle school team. Should be solid for a while.

Would be nice to see Greenon and maybe West Lib join the TRC. Perfect fit. MU is smaller than Greenon now. East is about the same and Bethel is bigger.

SCC had 9 sophomores(which may be the most talented soph class in the OHC) and 10-12 8th graders coming up from an undefeated middle school team. Should be solid for a while.
That's great that they are getting some numbers, but there is a big difference between middle school and high school. Don't assume that carries over to High School.

That's great that they are getting some numbers, but there is a big difference between middle school and high school. Don't assume that carries over to High School.
I will have to say the jump from middle school to highschool has worked great for west Jeff just saying

Nobody said that. We were talking strictly numbers and being able to field a competitive team. I believe they are in a good situation.

They lose 6 and get 10 - 12. That's great! Last year they had 10 Sophomores and 12 Juniors. Good to see they could get to over 30+ kids on the team. NOTE: No Freshman were on the team last year. That might hurt in the years to come.

With only 74 boys in grades 9-11 in the most recent OHSAA count, I would concerned about Cedarville fielding a team. Does anyone know how many players they are expecting/hoping to come out for the 2022 season?

With only 74 boys in grades 9-11 in the most recent OHSAA count, I would concerned about Cedarville fielding a team. Does anyone know how many players they are expecting/hoping to come out for the 2022 season?
i would actually say numbers have been slightly up for Cedarville compared to mid 2010s. decent sized junior class coming up i believe.

Yea kind of an interesting situation with the coach taking the job in January and now leaving for Batavia. Seems like an odd move
Wayne Stacy has jumped around the SBAAC for years now, never stays in one place longer that 2-3 years. In the long run him leaving now is best for Cedarville.

Wayne Stacy has jumped around the SBAAC for years now, never stays in one place longer that 2-3 years. In the long run him leaving now is best for Cedarville.
Your probably right….just a sh….. move. Hopefully Cedarville will get the right person in place that wants to be there. Awful lot of good history at that place over the years.

Would be nice to see Greenon and maybe West Lib join the TRC. Perfect fit. MU is smaller than Greenon now. East is about the same and Bethel is bigger.
I'd stay away from Bethel due to they can be close to DIII or bigger if the zoning issues stay the same. They are ready use trailers and are building another school.

Bump. I heard last week that there may be some discontent in the ranks and that a few of the smaller schools have been in contact with another league with one school in particular pushing for a change in the divisional alignment. I'm curious, has anybody heard the same?

Bump. I heard last week that there may be some discontent in the ranks and that a few of the smaller schools have been in contact with another league with one school in particular pushing for a change in the divisional alignment. I'm curious, has anybody heard the same?
if we are talking about the same schools, i’m pretty sure i heard the same thing. as to what league? no clue. can’t think of any that make sense for those 3-4 schools

last i heard, it was Cedarville pushing for a change.

if we are talking about the same schools, i’m pretty sure i heard the same thing. as to what league? no clue. can’t think of any that make sense for those 3-4 schools

last i heard, it was Cedarville pushing for a change.
A league name was put to what I was told, and it was something that would make zero sense to me as it's a league that does not have football and that I believe only one of their member schools has a football program that plays an independent schedule.

Cedarville was one of the four schools I had heard. I find it hard to believe they'd ever go anywhere without Greeneview.

A league name was put to what I was told, and it was something that would make zero sense to me as it's a league that does not have football and that I believe only one of their member schools has a football program that plays an independent schedule.

Cedarville was one of the four schools I had heard. I find it hard to believe they'd ever go anywhere without Greeneview.
the MVC?! would be a horrible move!

unlikely they leave Greeneview but maybe they would. i can’t remember the last time they beat them in football but all other sports are competitive.