2022 HS season

VBFAN24

Big match tomorrow night between Moe and X. X is trying to rebound from the loss to Walnut and Moe is looking to stay undefeated. What does everyone think? I got X in 5.

Big match tomorrow night between Moe and X. X is trying to rebound from the loss to Walnut and Moe is looking to stay undefeated. What does everyone think? I got X in 5.
Net play should be a wash, setter advantage to X due to experience, back court defense advantage to Moe because of Wong. Should definitely be a great match.

I’m going with X on four. Moe will get better throughout the season. It should be a great final few weeks.

I’ll take X in 5. Think they bounce back after losing to Walnut Monday
X seems to have a better idea of what their lineup is. Based on stats only and not having seen them play, there seems to be different guys playing night in and night out at certain positions for Moeller. Hopefully this isn't due to injury, but just an observation from a 1,000 foot view.

Not sure I agree with that. During the Walnut match, X switched liberos and moved an opposite to outside. I think the lineup guarantees for X are Meyer playing OH, Haarmeyer setting in either a 5-1 or 6-2, and Terrell playing MH. Outside of that, not much would shock me regarding X's lineup tonight

Not sure I agree with that. During the Walnut match, X switched liberos and moved an opposite to outside. I think the lineup guarantees for X are Meyer playing OH, Haarmeyer setting in either a 5-1 or 6-2, and Terrell playing MH. Outside of that, not much would shock me regarding X's lineup tonight
Wouldn't Feldkamp at MH, Pung at either OH or Opp and Tran seeing the floor at any position he's needed be in that group? I didn't catch the Walnut match so don't know how things were changed. I know Tressler has played a good amount and Krebs has come in to serve. Just didn't see much change during the Elder match (from what I saw).

Pung moved to OH, Shields came in at MH, and Eberle was at OPP.

If I coached X, the main goal would be slowing down Patterson, so whoever your best blocker is needs to be matched up against him. Conversely, I'm not sure Moeller's sophomores slow down Meyer on the outside

Pung moved to OH, Shields came in at MH, and Eberle was at OPP.

If I coached X, the main goal would be slowing down Patterson, so whoever your best blocker is needs to be matched up against him. Conversely, I'm not sure Moeller's sophomores slow down Meyer on the outside
Can X slow down Patterson though? They just played Walnut who was very OH heavy, but both OHs still got their kills.

And I agree that St X hasn't settled on their lineup, and looking at past years, Ferris an Co. are bound to make changes as they go. Usually it's good to have depth, but it can also force a coach to second guess decisions and players.

Can X slow down Patterson though? They just played Walnut who was very OH heavy, but both OHs still got their kills.

And I agree that St X hasn't settled on their lineup, and looking at past years, Ferris an Co. are bound to make changes as they go. Usually it's good to have depth, but it can also force a coach to second guess decisions and players.
Conversely, I don’t see Moe slowing Meyer down. Definitely wouldn’t be surprised if this went to 5 and we come away unsure which team is actually better.

The top 4 in the South all with a loss already. Who wants to be on the rankings committee?
It will shake out a bit. Have to wait a little longer to figure out Walnut due to not playing as strong of teams until they play Elder, assuming they can take care of business in their league and other matches.

It will shake out a bit. Have to wait a little longer to figure out Walnut due to not playing as strong of teams until they play Elder, assuming they can take care of business in their league and other matches.
I still have to think Elder is the top team in the state. The loss to X wasn’t great, but Elder had tons of self-inflicted errors. We’ll see how it shakes out, but, if they cut down those errors, they probably win in 3 or 4. Someone on the Elder thread said they averaged 17 errors through the first 4 sets (don’t know how they know that, but it’s something, even if exaggerated).

nothing new… How was X 1st in the state and Moeller 2nd but Elder was 1st in the south. Pay attention coaches!!

Yes, but it’s clear some coaches are just ranking without actually paying attention to results or anything and voting based on school name
These rankings in March and April really don't matter though. When it comes time to vote in May, many more coaches do their homework and the seeds are typically spot on.

nothing new… How was X 1st in the state and Moeller 2nd but Elder was 1st in the south. Pay attention coaches!!
Coaches vote for only the region they’re in and then the whole state. I’d bet coaches that aren’t in the South region are why that’s like that.

Coaches vote for only the region they’re in and then the whole state. I’d bet coaches that aren’t in the South region are why that’s like that.
Yeah, and I’d assume there’s also a one-week delay sometimes. Teams from other regions may look at the previous week’s region standings to help in state rankings- but that’s means they’re not necessarily reflecting the most recent matches.

Interesting rankings released today!

St X stays #1 in D1. Elder and Moe flip flop at 2 and 3. Iggy stays at 4. Walnut rounds out the top 5 (with a solitary 1st place vote) after being 11th last week. I'm not surprised Walnut stays 4th in the South, but am a little surprised it's not closer as they're still 10 behind Moe.

Unsurprisingly, Carroll #1 in D2. Alter 2, DeSales at 3 (with a #1 vote). St Charles and Fenwick round out the top 5.

What is happening at Darby?

They are not in the top 10 in the East Region for the first time in likely the entire history of the coaches poll.

I don't think they are getting the kids they used to get. Seems like Columbus is having more variety of teams and talent these last couple seasons. Just a guess though.

What is happening at Darby?

They are not in the top 10 in the East Region for the first time in likely the entire history of the coaches poll.
Was wondering the same thing. From about the mid-2000s through the mid to late-2010s they were a perennial top-5 team in the state. I don’t know how anyone voted them top-10 in D1 this week, though. They’re sitting at 2-4, having lost 4 straight.

Columbus does have a lot of teams/talent so maybe it’s just been spread out more. Has Darby’s enrollment gone down in recent years and maybe that’s affected things?