OHSAA Board Considers Football Playoff Change, Allowing Student-Athletes To Participate In Bordering Districts

I believe right now the rule is if you go to a private school, and that school doesn't offer a sport, you can play it at your home public.

But around Lima with all the recruiting and shady stuff that happens at all 5 schools....nothing would surprise me.
what I seem to remember was an athlete at a public school that did not have football played at a neighbor school, then in BB season, he played for his home school. And I said Lima area, It was not any of the Lima schools involved

what I seem to remember was an athlete at a public school that did not have football played at a neighbor school, then in BB season, he played for his home school. And I said Lima area, It was not any of the Lima schools involved

Hmm. Definitely not allowed under current rules, without physically moving and transferring schools.

I dont agree with making this rule. Stay at your high school and play, whats the pride in jumping ship. That being said it would be unfortunate if your school didnt have a sport you wanted to play.

I dont agree with making this rule. Stay at your high school and play, whats the pride in jumping ship. That being said it would be unfortunate if your school didnt have a sport you wanted to play.

That's.....literally what it's about. You won't be able to jump just for the hell of it. It's literally for students who want to play a sport their school doesn't have.

I am talking with a family friend from Fayette(one of the smallest public school districts in NW Ohio) who has a son that is a good runner and very promising swimmer. He competes in local and regional swimming tournaments and does very well. His family is considering moving him to Wauseon so he can be part of their swim team. With this change, he could stay at Fayette and run CC in the fall and track in the spring while going to Wauseon to be part of their swim program throughout the winter.
A small school like Fayette will not benefit from a rule change like this in bringing outside athletes into their district, but instead of this dying school losing yet another student athlete to a neighboring district(Wauseon and Archbold have pillaged Fayette over the years) they could retain a student and everyone counts when you are as small as a district like Fayette.

That's.....literally what it's about. You won't be able to jump just for the hell of it. It's literally for students who want to play a sport their school doesn't have.
You're right. I dont like it tho. A lot of times adjoining districts are your rivals.. playing football for that school in the fall and then playing against them in the winter and spring could bring in alot of negative energy by the time football comes around the next year

Years ago I knew of a student who in his senior year moved to the neighboring district and lived with his mom to play football, moved back home with his dad but enrolled in the smaller Catholic school for wrestling so he could qualify for the state tournament, and then in the spring came back to his original public school to play baseball and graduate.

All legit by the rules at the time.

You're right. I dont like it tho. A lot of times adjoining districts are your rivals.. playing football for that school in the fall and then playing against them in the winter and spring could bring in alot of negative energy by the time football comes around the next year
My guess would be most of the negative energy would come from non-participants more than the athletes themselves. Kind of like people saying that college football players get angry at the star who sits out their bowl game to avoid injury. Nearly all of the players understand and if being truthful, would do exactly the same thing in the same situation.

I am talking with a family friend from Fayette(one of the smallest public school districts in NW Ohio) who has a son that is a good runner and very promising swimmer. He competes in local and regional swimming tournaments and does very well. His family is considering moving him to Wauseon so he can be part of their swim team. With this change, he could stay at Fayette and run CC in the fall and track in the spring while going to Wauseon to be part of their swim program throughout the winter.
A small school like Fayette will not benefit from a rule change like this in bringing outside athletes into their district, but instead of this dying school losing yet another student athlete to a neighboring district(Wauseon and Archbold have pillaged Fayette over the years) they could retain a student and everyone counts when you are as small as a district like Fayette.
New Knoxville school has dealt with this scenario in regards to boys open enrolling into St. Marys School District so they can play football. This has been a result of losing really good kids that could have contributed to their boys basketball program. This new amendment could hopefully retain these student athletes within a small school like New Knoxville/Fayette.