Jonathan Powell to Centerville?

Like Dayton Wayne did to Springfield kids a few years back?
I think that was his point. Wayne got killed on here for kids moving in. Seems like more people are understanding now that it is Centerville. Wayne, like Centerville, does not have open enrollment.

Wayne got killed because the HIGH number of transfers in both sports……

it changed both programs year in & year out for almost 20 years.

Que Vamps getting ready to justify Centerville 4th or 5th transfer in 40 years-to Waynes yearly replenishment of starters in football!

I'm not a big fan of transfers, no matter what school….but I’m old!

I think that was his point. Wayne got killed on here for kids moving in. Seems like more people are understanding now that it is Centerville. Wayne, like Centerville, does not have open enrollment.
No more people call out hypocrisy when they see it. This kid lives in the district for crying out loud. Vamps I'd love to see the number of transfers over the years to Centerville in total. Then the number to Wayne. Please include the out of state ones. Thanks.

To be clear, I think they should just eliminate the term "recruiting" as a negative term.

I honestly have no issue with a school recruiting a kid because he's a good athlete. They recruit good students, good tuba players, good singers, etc, etc, etc. If a kid wants to go somewhere because it elevates their athletic profile, who am I to say that's right or wrong? You can learn alot from extra curricular activities too, especially sports.

If a kid gains his confidence and path in life because of sports, good on him. Sometimes sports leads to better academics too. Every kid is different, it's up to his/her family to prioritize their high school experience.
To be clear, I think they should just eliminate the term "recruiting" as a negative term.

I honestly have no issue with a school recruiting a kid because he's a good athlete. They recruit good students, good tuba players, good singers, etc, etc, etc. If a kid wants to go somewhere because it elevates their athletic profile, who am I to say that's right or wrong? You can learn alot from extra curricular activities too, especially sports.

If a kid gains his confidence and path in life because of sports, good on him. Sometimes sports leads to better academics too. Every kid is different, it's up to his/her family to prioritize their high school experience.
Oh? For starters, name all of the tuba players, singers and other non-athletes recruited to Centerville while Cupps has been coaching basketball there. Name just a few. Its idealistic but it would be refreshing to see schools field teams of students who are attending there of their own volition because they live in that district and not for athletic reasons.
There will eventually be a downside to this. On a lesser scale a few years ago, Steve Gentry brought in vanload of recruits to Deer Park, none of which had a previous connection to that community. Yes, they went undefeated and won a state championship, but.........The "but" is it had a negative effect on those who otherwise would've played, those who would've made the team but got cut and even a trickle down to the JV and lower levels. There was a "why bother" attitude. Deer Park was no great shakes, even within its own league, before Gentry. But when he left there was a major cleanup project that is still a work in progress. Unless Cupps coaches Centerville in perpetuity, players will leave there in a Manhattan Minute and another school will become the flavor of the day.

Oh? For starters, name all of the tuba players, singers and other non-athletes recruited to Centerville while Cupps has been coaching basketball there. Name just a few. Its idealistic but it would be refreshing to see schools field teams of students who are attending there of their own volition because they live in that district and not for athletic reasons.
There will eventually be a downside to this. On a lesser scale a few years ago, Steve Gentry brought in vanload of recruits to Deer Park, none of which had a previous connection to that community. Yes, they went undefeated and won a state championship, but.........The "but" is it had a negative effect on those who otherwise would've played, those who would've made the team but got cut and even a trickle down to the JV and lower levels. There was a "why bother" attitude. Deer Park was no great shakes, even within its own league, before Gentry. But when he left there was a major cleanup project that is still a work in progress. Unless Cupps coaches Centerville in perpetuity, players will leave there in a Manhattan Minute and another school will become the flavor of the day.

The environment around Centerville is much different than the environment around DP before Gentry.

I'm just saying every school has some level of recruiting just to get students to go to their school. Some are good at school, some are good at Math, some are good at Science, some are good at Band, some are good at Sports. I don't understand why sports are separated out - kids have differing talents and differing desires. It's OK if a kid prioritizes sports if he's really good at it, at least in my opinion.

Jonathan Powell seems to be a very good player and will certainly help Centerville as Cupps running mate. But at 6'3" he isn't going to fill the void left by the graduation of House and Rolf. That will be a tall order to fill! (Pun intended). Will the Elks have a quality front court to match this potentially dynamic backcourt?

Jonathan Powell seems to be a very good player and will certainly help Centerville as Cupps running mate. But at 6'3" he isn't going to fill the void left by the graduation of House and Rolf. That will be a tall order to fill! (Pun intended). Will the Elks have a quality front court to match this potentially dynamic backcourt?
He's 6'5-6'6.

I'm just saying every school has some level of recruiting just to get students to go to their school. Some are good at school, some are good at Math, some are good at Science, some are good at Band, some are good at Sports. I don't understand why sports are separated out - kids have differing talents and differing desires. It's OK if a kid prioritizes sports if he's really good at it, at least in my opinion.
And some live in the school district. Like this kid.

I'm still waiting to see the list of recruited math, science and band wizards. Somebody? Anybody? Include documentation. And when you state EVERY school has some level of recruiting, that's quite a broad brush you're painting with. Why are you being so defensive about the word "recruiting" being used in a negative sense. Take it at face value whether its at the high school level, junior high, elementary school, kindergarten,
nursery schools or high school coaches and their assistants lurking around hospital maternity wards hunting for prospects.

Last edited:
People love being part of a winning program. When your program is successful people want to be a part of it. Everybody loves a winner. Brook Cupps has built a winning culture the right way at Centerville and that in itself will draw kids to that school. He doesn't have to recruit, he just has to do what he has been doing and kids are going to want to be a part of it. Centerville or Brook can not tell a kid "you can't transfer here." This happens all the time with winning cultures in other sports as well. Brook is one of the best coaches in the country and many kids would want that opportunity. I see both sides of this, but people are drawn to winning tradition and programs always have been and always will. In this area we have had Wayne football a few years back, and the strongest winning tradition of all time Graham wrestling. There are other programs that have done the same thing I just named these two as an example.

No more people call out hypocrisy when they see it. This kid lives in the district for crying out loud. Vamps I'd love to see the number of transfers over the years to Centerville in total. Then the number to Wayne. Please include the out of state ones. Thanks.
When the kid lives with his cousin(s) who also "transferred" without adult supervision is when I question "kid lives in the district". Just sayin'.

People love being part of a winning program. When your program is successful people want to be a part of it. Everybody loves a winner. Brook Cupps has built a winning culture the right way at Centerville and that in itself will draw kids to that school. He doesn't have to recruit, he just has to do what he has been doing and kids are going to want to be a part of it. Centerville or Brook can not tell a kid "you can't transfer here." This happens all the time with winning cultures in other sports as well. Brook is one of the best coaches in the country and many kids would want that opportunity. I see both sides of this, but people are drawn to winning tradition and programs always have been and always will. In this area we have had Wayne football a few years back, and the strongest winning tradition of all time Graham wrestling. There are other programs that have done the same thing I just named these two as an example.
I get what you’re saying and CJ isn’t on the same level as Centerville but it’s not like he’s leaving some slouch. He was in the final 4 last year with CJ.

I'm still waiting to see the list of recruited math, science and band wizards. Somebody? Anybody? Include documentation. And when you state EVERY school has some level of recruiting, that's quite a broad brush you're painting with. Why are you being so defensive about the word "recruiting" being used in a negative sense. Take it a face value whether its at the high school level, junior high, elementary school, kindergarten,
nursery schools or high school coaches and their assistants lurking around hospital maternity wards hunting for prospects.
I'm not using "recruiting" in a bad sense. I'm saying every school likely has a marketing and advertising budget to sell their school to prospective students. What's the difference if a prospective student is good at sports or band? You still need to recruit to get kids to be interested in coming to your school.

Not sure what you're not understanding?

Why is sports separated out as this special subset you can't specifically recruit for? You can make direct contact with anyone else for a variety of reasons but sports isn't one of them? I think that's dumb. As I mentioned, it shouldn't be up to OHSAA to decide what's most important to a kid. Sports are absolutely a part of the decision making process when choosing a school.

You can make direct contact with the kid with the highest GPA at All Saints, or the best drama kid, or the student council President, but not the QB?

I'm not using "recruiting" in a bad sense. I'm saying every school likely has a marketing and advertising budget to sell their school to prospective students. What's the difference if a prospective student is good at sports or band? You still need to recruit to get kids to be interested in coming to your school.

Not sure what you're not understanding?

Why is sports separated out as this special subset you can't specifically recruit for? You can make direct contact with anyone else for a variety of reasons but sports isn't one of them? I think that's dumb. As I mentioned, it shouldn't be up to OHSAA to decide what's most important to a kid. Sports are absolutely a part of the decision making process when choosing a school.

You can make direct contact with the kid with the highest GPA at All Saints, or the best drama kid, or the student council President, but not the QB?
I'm still waiting to see a list of those students who were recruited to any particular high school for a non-athletic activity. Using your example of ''the kid at All Saints, or the best drama kid, or the student council president, but not the QB," I'll side with you when, for instance, they keep score of the bands at halftime of the Moeller vs. St. X football game and declare a winner.

I'm still waiting to see a list of those students who were recruited to any particular high school for a non-athletic activity. Using your example of ''the kid at All Saints, or the best drama kid, or the student council president, but not the QB," I'll side with you when, for instance, they keep score of the bands at halftime of the Moeller vs. St. X football game and declare a winner.

Are you not familiar with band competitions?

I don't know why you keep coming back to this.

Every school proactively sends out recruiting and advertising materials. Some kids play sports, some are in Band, some are great students. You can proactively talk to a kid about your school's programs except sports. Does a kid that plays an instrument have to express interest in a school before the Band leader can talk to him about Band? I may be wrong but I don't think so.

Why does the kid who is good at sports (vs. school or Band or leadership or whatever) have to jump through more hoops to make it legal?

Last edited:
Kids transfer all the time to get a better education. I bet if someone did the numbers I bet you would find more kids transfer for education reasons then they do for sports. We are talking about sports transfers because that is what gets the press. OHSAA has tried to slow it down with new rules but it will never stop. No articles are written about stud calculus student who transferred for a better opportunity at another school with a dynamic calculus teacher.

I don't know why you keep coming back to this.

Every school proactively sends out recruiting and advertising materials. Some kids play sports, some are in Band, some are great students. You can proactively talk to a kid about your school's programs except sports. Does a kid that plays an instrument have to express interest in a school before the Band leader can talk to him about Band? I may be wrong but I don't think so.

Why does the kid who is good at sports (vs. school or Band or leadership or whatever) have to jump through more hoops to make it legal?
To quote former president Reagan: "There you go again...." EVERY school? You're using that same broad brush.

Are you not familiar with band competitions?
Yes, I have heard of band competitions. What I have NOT heard is some (any?) school winning a band competition because it recruited a 4-star tuba player or a 5-star drummer and a 4-star Sousaphone player transferred in from other schools. It was even until the closing minutes when it just crushed the competition with The Washington Post March and Stars And Stripes Forever.

To quote former president Reagan: "There you go again...." EVERY school? You're using that same broad brush.
Well, doesn't every school (or most every school) send out general marketing and advertising mailers to prospective students? I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, but most schools start doing this when kids are still in grade school.

Yes, I have heard of band competitions. What I have NOT heard is some (any?) school winning a band competition because it recruited a 4-star tuba player or a 5-star drummer and a 4-star Sousaphone player transferred in from other schools. It was even until the closing minutes when it just crushed the competition with The Washington Post March and Stars And Stripes Forever.

Then do some research. I don't know what to tell you. Why are you asking other people for answers to questions that they don't care about? If you want the answers to what band members have transferred schools, find them yourself.

Then do some research. I don't know what to tell you. Why are you asking other people for answers to questions that they don't care about? If you want the answers to what band members have transferred schools, find them yourself.
OnTheLine85 is the one making the statements as though they were fact. It is up to him (and you, since you're coming to his defense) to provide examples. In his most recent post he is now down to "(or most every school)". You are both running against the wind on this one.

I don't care if a coach cherry-picks (recruits) players from four different counties. JUST ADMIT TO IT. I'm waiting for the first one to do so.

When the kid lives with his cousin(s) who also "transferred" without adult supervision is when I question "kid lives in the district". Just sayin'.
Sounds like you know something I haven't heard. From what I know he hasn't moved and has lived in the district for a while. Where do his parents live and why would they have him live in Centerville without them if he was playing at CJ?