How does your HS program cut players?

Spot on.

One of our official's kids was on a local team. Mid-size school, I think middle of the pack DII. One senior unfortunately that year. Several juniors got hurt or came in hurt. A sophomore on the JV team about 1/3 way thought the season pitched a few innings in relief for Varsity and even started a couple of non-league games. The next year, all the juniors were back, healthy, and dominating and the kid's dad lost his mind because his son from the JV team wasn't the main starting pitcher on Varsity that year. He was on the roster, worked in relief including some key saves against top opponents, and started about 1/3 of their games in right. Kid was second team all conference, and team won the league and made it to I think a district final, but that dad didn't care about any of that. I felt bad for my friend and the coaching staff.

That kid went to play in college too and was pretty solid in the games I officiated him in.

I wonder if that dad is still butthurt.
Yup

And feel bad for the kid himself, too. Where was "the half-full cup" ? Ear buds on the way home ?

Back when I tried out(mid 90s) I am old, the rosters of who made it were taped on the coaches office window.
we all just got in a line and looked at the roster.
I knew I wasn’t going to make it. So I was not surprised. But a lot of the other kids who got cut were pissed off.
emails now, times have changed.

I blame summer ball for inflating these parents/kids ego's! Summer ball is based only on ability...........to pay. It used to be about getting better and playing tough competition, but now its a dog and pony show for narcissistic parents to stunt for the 'Gram. So what we are witnessing now is some think they should automatically make the HS team because player X played travel for Y. Honestly, the problem isn't so much as making cuts, but rather how to deal with the foolishness after.
1648224141000.png

9U Super Elite Travel.

What? They couldn't fit one more dad for the pic?

Last edited:
Back when I tried out(mid 90s) I am old, the rosters of who made it were taped on the coaches office window.
we all just got in a line and looked at the roster.
I knew I wasn’t going to make it. So I was not surprised. But a lot of the other kids who got cut were pissed off.
emails now, times have changed.
I looked like Tommy Boy trying to see my History grade.

View attachment 27996
9U Super Elite Travel.

What? They couldn't fit one more dad in the pic?
A couple observations.

1). Rings?

2). Like all DB dad run teams they only want 10 kids which means they probably over used their arms by a lot. Any more players = less playing time for Johnny.

2). The uniforms and hats are slick. I bet they have multiple combos. How much time would you guess the DB dads spent on them? Cost for the entire ensemble (multiple hats, pants, jerseys, socks, pull overs, matching bat bags, etc.)?

3). How many of their friends and relatives are sick of getting hit up every 2 months with a different fundraiser to pay for all of this $chit?

4). Can you imagine the BS these dad-coaches talk at work every Monday morning? I bet their their co-workers want to strangle them.

Wow....reading these posts about schools actually having to cut kids from baseball is crazy. Son played at a D3 HS. Very competitive in football....and typically a top 10 school in the state in basketball.....but never had more than 30-ish kids in the entire HS baseball program....barely enough to play JV and Varsity on the same day depending on who was available to pitch :) He had 4 kids in his grade play all 4 years of HS baseball. This is the same school that regularly gets 20+ to try out for freshmen basketball lol

A couple observations.

1). Rings?

2). Like all DB dad run teams they only want 10 kids which means they probably over used their arms by a lot. Any more players = less playing time for Johnny.

2). The uniforms and hats are slick. I bet they have multiple combos. How much time would you guess the DB dads spent on them? Cost for the entire ensemble (multiple hats, pants, jerseys, socks, pull overs, matching bat bags, etc.)?

3). How many of their friends and relatives are sick of getting hit up every 2 months with a different fundraiser to pay for all of this $chit?

4). Can you imagine the BS these dad-coaches talk at work every Monday morning? I bet their their co-workers want to strangle them.
I cannot like this enough.

The least common denominator parents must be a real joy, huh ? I've always heard parental grumblings of favoritism, for a full range of theories from maybe to delusional, at cuts or V/JV assignments, but thankfully all the really nutty parents have been on the other foul line.
I forget what the rational was at the time but if I had to guess it was to ensure that cuts were to be as objective as possible...or at least give the optics of them being objective.

A couple observations.

1). Rings?

Every one of those dudes has a half-ton quad cab pickup truck and a collapsible wagon to haul their bucket of balls in - and three of the kids are named Jackson (but all spelled differently).

Bruh! all you need for baseball at that level is 2 base coaches and maybe a manager. Heck, my 12th grade year, we had 4 coaches with 22 players. The above is like 2 kids per coach. haha
I coached my son's 2nd grade Flag Football team last fall. 10 kids. They got me to do it because there weren't enough coaches and they were going to have either three big teams or the last ten kids who signed up would not play (which is totally ridiculous but not surprising of our rec program).

So I coached the team, it was a fabulous group of kids and I loved every minute of it.

But the caveat of "short on coaches" was that every other team had at least 5 dads coaching.

BTW, not the intent, but we won almost every game because I actually coached the kids on fundamentals.

When I played, a list was posted in the locker room in the morning. If you were on the list, you were in. Varsity list and JV list. Pretty simple way to do it. Back then we had maybe 75 kids out for 30 spots. Pretty nerve-wracking that first year trying out wondering if you were going to make it not. I did have track to fall back on, though, just in case.

Last edited:
A couple observations.

1). Rings?

This reminds me of the granddaughter of one of my HS classmates. The kid is only 7 or 8 years old and is in one of those "Elite" competition cheer squads and the kid's mom is constantly doing fundraisers. Raffles of poster boards full of gift cards and lottery tickets, "sponsoring" a day in a month, selling Super Bowl squares, etc. They expect other people to have to pay for every red cent of everything their kid does. How about not involving them in so much stuff?

This reminds me of the granddaughter of one of my HS classmates. The kid is only 7 or 8 years old and is in one of those "Elite" competition cheer squads and the kid's mom is constantly doing fundraisers. Raffles of poster boards full of gift cards and lottery tickets, "sponsoring" a day in a month, selling Super Bowl squares, etc. They expect other people to have to pay for every red cent of everything their kid does. How about not involving them in so much stuff?
Expect? I seriously doubt anyone is expecting people to give them money. You don't want to give, don't, but why take it so personally? Just keep it moving. Less stress in your life.

Most parents are oblivious and think the world revolves around their kids. I always gave. I'm sure everyone else on here does as well. When my boys played and when I coached I was very cognizant of overbearing fundraising. I would hold one fundraiser per year and I made sure people got something out of it other than emptying their pockets. There was a point where every time I turned around someone was asking me for $20 here and $50 there. And for really stupid $chit like 7 year old cheer. :rolleyes: It got to a point where I had to tell people that I would pay for my kids and you pay for yours. Now that the boys are older I am back to being a sucker but there have been times where I have to put my foot down. Especially when the parents asking for constant handouts are driving $75,000 trucks and wearing $250 Oakley sunglasses.

Most parents are oblivious and think the world revolves around their kids. I always gave. I'm sure everyone else on here does as well. When my boys played and when I coached I was very cognizant of overbearing fundraising. I would hold one fundraiser per year and I made sure people got something out of it other than emptying their pockets. There was a point where every time I turned around someone was asking me for $20 here and $50 there. And for really stupid $chit like 7 year old cheer. :rolleyes: It got to a point where I had to tell people that I would pay for my kids and you pay for yours. Now that the boys are older I am back to being a sucker but there have been times where I have to put my foot down. Especially when the parents asking for constant handouts are driving $75,000 trucks and wearing $250 Oakley sunglasses.

Honestly, just ask for money. I'd rather give $20 and have the team keep it all as opposed to buying $50 worth of stuff that's worth $15 and the team gets $10.

As someone who's footed the bill for baseball/soccer/dance/etc. over the years, I hated the fundraisers and always wished that whatever organization my kids belonged to would just give me a price. I've always thought they ought to have one centralized tryout where the organizations could evaluate dozens of kids at one time and the parents could listen to the sales pitch.

Honestly, just ask for money. I'd rather give $20 and have the team keep it all as opposed to buying $50 worth of stuff that's worth $15 and the team gets $10.

As someone who's footed the bill for baseball/soccer/dance/etc. over the years, I hated the fundraisers and always wished that whatever organization my kids belonged to would just give me a price. I've always thought they ought to have one centralized tryout where the organizations could evaluate dozens of kids at one time and the parents could listen to the sales pitch.
I know some people who feel the same way you do.

I know some people who feel the same way you do.

Except for girl scouts. The little wenches better cough up the cookies or they're not getting a dime.

When I played, a list was posted in the locker room in the morning. If you were on the list, you were in. Varsity list and JV list. Pretty simple way to do it. Back then we had maybe 75 kids out for 30 spots. Pretty nerve-wracking that first year trying out wondering if you were going to make it not. I did have track to fall back on, though, just in case.
This is exactly how it was done in my day.