Elder Enrollment Strategy

SmartSelect_20220201-185826_Facebook.jpg

I'm all for school choice, most people are but this is silly. Like I said 2 years ago on here, the Catholic schools got a bit greedy and have opened everyone's eyes to the amount of money they are getting from vouchers. These vouchers were a short term life saver for Catholic schools, but now they've abused it. There's no way the state is gonna continue to let the Catholic Church rake in hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars every year without more transparency and lawful/fiscal accountability. I'm talking real accountability, not what that DeAngelis guy is talking about, that works for shallow minded Catholics as their rallying cry.

With the Boys and Girls Club a block away does Elder work with any Students from over their and eventually get them to consider Elder? What type of presence does Elder have at the Boys and Girls Club if any?

Any final word on the number of incoming Freshman? Did they get good #'s from St I's & St James?

I guess no news is good news from the numbers standpoint

I don't think anyone will know until the first day of school next school year. I did hear the number of freshman registered for next year is a little over 200. That could go up slightly until August. No idea on the grade school breakdown. It's published in the alumni magazine each year for those interested.

If the former would be curious to know the rationale. If the latter, that's BS.
If the latter… this will be interesting if true. If a young man wanted to attend Elder but instead has to attend a school which was his second choice- how can anyone justify that. And what if that school is not a Catholic school. This could not possibly be the reason for capping. Could it?

Not sure why the Archdiocese would have any say in a school’s numbers. Then again, nothing the Archdiocese does or says surprises me. Moe capped their last 2 classes at 250. We were told it was to keep student to teacher ratio and student to counselor ratios where they want them. Also, only so much space. Perhaps Elder’s reason(s) are similar. ?‍♂️

You don't want to take on too many students in one class when future classes may be smaller. It may create a staffing issue where you need to hire extra staff for one grade only to have to let them go within a few years. Capping enrollment makes sense. It was mentioned that Moeller has done this. I believe Roger Bacon has done this as well. Typically, from what I understand, scheduling is done best in groups of 25. Moeller capping at 250/class makes sense and Roger Bacon around 125/class does as well.

You don't want to take on too many students in one class when future classes may be smaller. It may create a staffing issue where you need to hire extra staff for one grade only to have to let them go within a few years. Capping enrollment makes sense. It was mentioned that Moeller has done this. I believe Roger Bacon has done this as well. Typically, from what I understand, scheduling is done best in groups of 25. Moeller capping at 250/class makes sense and Roger Bacon around 125/class does as well.

Understand just would be curious to know the rationale.

Not sure why the Archdiocese would have any say in a school’s numbers. Then again, nothing the Archdiocese does or says surprises me. Moe capped their last 2 classes at 250. We were told it was to keep student to teacher ratio and student to counselor ratios where they want them. Also, only so much space. Perhaps Elder’s reason(s) are similar. ?‍♂️
Was it Moeller’s decision for the cap? Did AoC give Moeller a nudge about a certain number? I believe their reasoning is probably true.

I have heard that Elder maxed out the incoming freshman class at 210 with more than a few kids on the waiting list.
That’s absolute bull s***. Take those kids who want to be at Elder. I’m sick of the Diocese holding down Elder, screw them. Go ahead, try to take Elder to court for admitting 225 students instead of 210, you corrupt m f’ers.

If true, that's great. Why is 210 the max?
It’s not great if it’s being capped by the Diocese, it should piss everyone off. Why should kids wanting to attend Elder be denied that opportunity because of the Diocese incompetence? Haven’t they done enough harm to children over the last 50 years?

It’s not great if it’s being capped by the Diocese, it should piss everyone off. Why should kids wanting to attend Elder be denied that opportunity because of the Diocese incompetence? Haven’t they done enough harm to children over the last 50 years?
Thats not the way it works. See the comment regarding Moeller above. The individual schools determine enrollment limits. Knowing this, do all your comments pertain to Elder instead of the archdiocese?

I'm not defending the archdiocese, I just think your anger should be directed at them for things they are responsible for. If you are angry about this, direct your complaints to Elder.

Thats not the way it works. See the comment regarding Moeller above. The individual schools determine enrollment limits. Knowing this, do all your comments pertain to Elder instead of the archdiocese?

I'm not defending the archdiocese, I just think your anger should be directed at them for things they are responsible for. If you are angry about this, direct your complaints to Elder.
If Elder is placing a cap on enrollment, then yes, it’s a bad decision. That’s of course assuming the kids on the wait list applied in a timely manner and don’t have any disciplinary issues.

The class the graduated last year had under 170 kids, they can take on a class of 220-230.

It seems like St. Xavier and Elder are going in opposite directions. X used to have academic standards, now they take anyone except extreme lower level. Elder is capping enrollment at 210, possibly being selective in who they grant admission.

It might be also be a step to prevent what is happening at Lasalle with their students. There were incidents at the last Elder-Lasalle football game instigated by Lasalle students from what I heard.

Bigger is not always better.

St X has a broader mission, so it makes sense to expand. They also have a relatively endless supply of students city-wide and the demand for kids to go there is through the roof.

I think being in these neighborhood pockets like Elder, Bacon, Purcell, etc can be a great competitive advantage if done properly. Sell the smaller school intimacy who target a specific kind of kid and lower the cost some to make it affordable. It's been great for Bacon. Most high schools will never be able to compete with St X.

I doubt the Archdiocese is the one capping this. It’s most likely Elder’s decision. Although only 210 kind of surprises me. Seems kind of low.

I doubt the Archdiocese is the one capping this. It’s most likely Elder’s decision. Although only 210 kind of surprises me. Seems kind of low.
It’s too low unless the kids on the wait list have some kind of qualifier that makes them difft than the avg student.

That’s absolute bull s***. Take those kids who want to be at Elder. I’m sick of the Diocese holding down Elder, screw them. Go ahead, try to take Elder to court for admitting 225 students instead of 210, you corrupt m f’ers.
Wow, another mental health episode. Elder proud of you?