TOSU @ ncaa: first round melt down

In Karchla's match Stieber didn't throw the brick until after a stalemate was called. I thought he had a reversal but knew it wouldn't he overturned in review because they hardy overturn any calls. The challenge procces is more for show than anything else.
I made this comment at last year's NCAA to my dad, said a particular call wouldn't get overturned, never does.

Don't they break down the stats how many challenges actually get overturned? It's gotta be less than 5%

Karchla seems to rely to much on "holding position" defensively, using his strength AKA: The Bull Marianelli, and we see how we'll that worked for him the last 6 years? in terms of a national title ...and Brands got a BIG TIME recruit in Marianelli. Otoole is impressive he found a way to get it done, even though Kharchla shut down, neutralized much of his offense with positional defense. Andonian just has no fear of losing, polar opposite in style.

How about those Buckeyes now! 2 guaranteed AA, with 4 more in the blood round! Who would have bet Hoffman is our best chance at a champion? He has had an awesome run so far, and hope he wins tonight. Sasso has a tough match tonight in Yianni, but I think it's doable cuz of his style. Kharchla, Smith, and Romero all have very winnable matches, and I would expect all to win tonight, and Orndorff has Parris from Michigan, and im not counting him out, Tate has looked good in his last 2 matches. So I would say 5, maybe 6 AA would be considered a very successful tournament! Let's go Bucks!

Just for reference. In the last ten years.

1647638653484.png

Outside of Ethan Smith, the performances for Ohio State in this tournament have been more good than bad given the expectations of this roster.

The question ultimate becomes is battling for top ten good enough, or is the goal ultimately team trophies with competing for THE trophy.

You CANNOT have a 3 TD to 1 edge yet have the opponent get a +1:00 edge in RT. You cannot be up 7-3 at the start of the third period and have OT be the end result. This is just unacceptable for an AA caliber wrestler, an unacceptable for a program that aspires to win team trophies.

Outside of Ethan Smith, the performances for Ohio State in this tournament have been more good than bad given the expectations of this roster.

The question ultimate becomes is battling for top ten good enough, or is the goal ultimately team trophies with competing for THE trophy.

You CANNOT have a 3 TD to 1 edge yet have the opponent get a +1:00 edge in RT. You cannot be up 7-3 at the start of the third period and have OT be the end result. This is just unacceptable for an AA caliber wrestler, an unacceptable for a program that aspires to win team trophies.
Agree 100 percent. You could argue Malik underperformed a little. D'emilio wrestled well in my opinion. Sasso losing to gomez during the season led to this draw. He performed as expected. I dont think coaching led to either of Karchla's losses...

Smiths performance hurts. I honestly didn't realize he lost since I lost cell service in the 3rd period and never would have believed he wouldn't have had kept that lead.

184-285 all performed as expected or much better. With the depth of the tournament it really highlights how the extra eligibility was not helpful for the buckeyes.

No thank you! Talk about under performance? No Class Baby brothers Brands!
Iowa is in 3rd place OSU is in 13th ...
Who's underperforming ? Coach Ryan's problem is he's surrounding himself with two many Ohio boys . Time to make some changes.

Iowa is in 3rd place OSU is in 13th ...
Who's underperforming ? Coach Ryan's problem is he's surrounding himself with two many Ohio boys . Time to make some changes.

Really wanna compare underperformed? I'm waiting for the Spencer card... if he pinned his way through PSU still wins. After we had crowned Iowa all last summer, and knew we were a top 10 at best team #firetom. Marinelli and Desanto really developed well.

Tom Ryan is a good man and good recruiter. He has been great for the program and really brought in some great people. Other than a few guys like Kollin Moore, there does seems to be a lack of development. Most PSU wrestlers for example really develop a winning style and peak in March. Ohio State is falling behind there. Too many kids are not ready to wrestle their best match. Too many of them put themselves in bad positions.

OSU should win the 2025 National Championship. Kharchla-Gallagher-Bouzakis-Mendez-Feldman-Welsh-Kilkeary-others. If they don't win with that group, I do think Gene Smith will make changes.

Its amazing how short sighted people are and how short their memories.... Tom isn't going anywhere unless he wants to, nor should he.

In his 15 seasons (NCAA Tournaments) in Columbus...
- the Buckeyes were NCAA Team CHAMPIONS in 2015 - Never been done in the 100 year school (wrestling) history prior to Tom Ryan
- the Buckeyes have won 3 B10 Titles -They had won 2 prior to Tom Ryan (1951, 1923)
- the Buckeyes have been NCAA Runners Up 5 times including the highest scoring runner up score of all time
- the Buckeyes have finished in the top 10 in 13 of his 15 seasons
- the Buckeyes have finished in the top 5 in 8 of his 15 seasons

In the 30 seasons prior to Tom Ryan
- 0 National Championships
- 0 B10 Championships
- 0 Runners Up Finishes
- 6 top 10 finishes (Tom Ryan has doubled that in half the time)
- 4 top 4 finishes (Tom Ryan has doubled that in half the time)

Since Tom Ryan came to Columbus here is a list of Coaches who have won National Titles - Cael Sanderson, Tom Brands, and Tom Ryan. The Ohio State wrestling program went from VERY average to one of the top 3 programs in the country under his leadership.

Its incredible the lack of credit some Ohio wrestling fans give him.

This thread didn't age well.
Buckeyes were predicted by seed to have 4 in the quarterfinals. They have 4 in the quarterfinals.
Only a total fool would fire Tom Ryan....
I agree with this, but it does seem like they've under-achieved in the last 2 seasons. Hopefully the most recent classes can bring the program back up to a top 2-3 team

I agree with this, but it does seem like they've under-achieved in the last 2 seasons. Hopefully the most recent classes can bring the program back up to a top 2-3 team
It may seem like it, but they really haven't. Perception vs reality.
I don't believe there will be a trophy next season either. Although we return everyone and add Paddy at 57 and I think Bouzakis starts at 33.
2024 we start another trophy run. ?

Was it beneficial to bring back guys like Stieber and Jordan as coaches. I would have thought the mat game would have been top notch with Stieber back as a coach. Losing Terv was huge.

Was it beneficial to bring back guys like Stieber and Jordan as coaches. I would have thought the mat game would have been top notch with Stieber back as a coach. Losing Terv was huge.
I think you have to have guys who believe in the system in place?

Its amazing how short sighted people are and how short their memories.... Tom isn't going anywhere unless he wants to, nor should he.

In his 15 seasons (NCAA Tournaments) in Columbus...
- the Buckeyes were NCAA Team CHAMPIONS in 2015 - Never been done in the 100 year school (wrestling) history prior to Tom Ryan
- the Buckeyes have won 3 B10 Titles -They had won 2 prior to Tom Ryan (1951, 1923)
- the Buckeyes have been NCAA Runners Up 5 times including the highest scoring runner up score of all time
- the Buckeyes have finished in the top 10 in 13 of his 15 seasons
- the Buckeyes have finished in the top 5 in 8 of his 15 seasons

In the 30 seasons prior to Tom Ryan
- 0 National Championships
- 0 B10 Championships
- 0 Runners Up Finishes
- 6 top 10 finishes (Tom Ryan has doubled that in half the time)
- 4 top 4 finishes (Tom Ryan has doubled that in half the time)

Since Tom Ryan came to Columbus here is a list of Coaches who have won National Titles - Cael Sanderson, Tom Brands, and Tom Ryan. The Ohio State wrestling program went from VERY average to one of the top 3 programs in the country under his leadership.

Its incredible the lack of credit some Ohio wrestling fans give him.
Just sticky this

Good wrestlers don't always make good coaches. It's obvious the talent we have isn't being pushed to their potential in the practice rooms. Ryan should give the coaches one more year to turn it around . Nice guys finish 13th

It doesn't matter. It's been posted every year for years. Buckeye fans only love champions. :censored:
Fire every coach out there except Cael. He is the only one that lives up to our fans standards. You have to be 1 not actually watching regularly. 2 completely blind. 3 know absolutely nothing about wrestling. Or 4 be Corky Romano to not recognize the improvement in the mat game. All year from day one I was excited in the improvement. But just like Browns fans they expect to go from mediocre(in that position as far as OSU wrestling goes) to super bowl champs overnight! Bunch of Corky's IMHO