St Mary’s - Gilmore game

Not sure about Gilmour but there have been examples of public schools/private schools coming out of nowhere with groups of kids who weren’t originally there. Don’t act like that doesn’t happen (Cornerstone Christian in 2016/2018, Deer Park winning in 2018 with hiring new AAU coach and 7 kids added to the team over a 3 year period, same with Richmond Heights in 2019 and 2021) these are just a few recent examples.
I can't speak to what they have or haven't done regarding "roster management", but Gilmour has a very good coach. Prior to going to Gilmour, I thought he did a tremendous job during his four year run at Bishop Ready. I'm not much of a poll person, but I believe he had them ranked #1 for a few weeks during his last season there. I thought they could have won 1-2 district titles if not for being in a loaded district draw with Harvest Prep, Africentric, Wellington, Grandview Heights, etc.

I'm not surprised he's found a lot of success at Gilmour.

Look.. I don’t have a thing against Gilmore. Was just pointing out what is evident with 99 percent of private schools. They have no following. Crowd size sucks…
GA has about 180 boys total in high school. When you take out the 15-17 that are on the roster and the fact that 75% of kids today do not attend high school games and add in that BGSU is over 2 hours away. You have a pretty easy answer.

GA has about 180 boys total in high school. When you take out the 15-17 that are on the roster and the fact that 75% of kids today do not attend high school games and add in that BGSU is over 2 hours away. You have a pretty easy answer.
Doesn’t stop public schools fans…

Again, factor in the 20-25 boys that were, you know, playing in the hockey state championship game ;)

or public school students.
Public school students have parents who are living in a community that know other parents and their kids and some of those kids may be on the team. Private school students have parents that know parents in the community they LIVE in but may not know the parents or the kids of a private school team. Big difference if you have ever been a part of it.

Public school students have parents who are living in a community that know other parents and their kids and some of those kids may be on the team. Private school students have parents that know parents in the community they LIVE in but may not know the parents or the kids of a private school team. Big difference if you have ever been a part of it.

So..a private school team is kinda like an AAU assembled team..kinda.

Over the Hills knows that I am not the biggest fan of Gilmour but all of the items brought up in this thread against them are pure BS, good for these players and the Gilmour community at large. And by the way a community is more than just a geographical place with physical borders, it also defined as a feeling of fellowship with others, as a result of sharing common attitudes, interests, and goals. In this case educating young people in the the Congregation of Holy Cross tradition is their primary goal of which athletics is a part but not the defining aspect of their community. So if some students want to go to a hockey game or some would rather go to an orchestra concert or some may have something else going on in their life so be it, it's not a reason to get down on an entire institution because the guard play of the opposing school that day sucked.

Starters?
To answer your question, although I am probably wasting my time judging from your comments, I did a little research. Google is your friend. Took all of 5 minutes.

Leading scorer on the team Mueller went to Gilmour before HS (Gilmour is K-12)

Second leading scorer Rose is from a Catholic school in Cleveland Hts.

None of the 3 senior transfers were mentioned in the 3 Gilmour articles I glanced at of doing anything of note.

The freshman on the team Pfundstein is a legacy and father was.coach at Gilmour for 20 years, but now coaches.John Carroll

5 of the players came were at Gilmour prior to 9th grade another 4 come from the same Catholic grade school.

It doesn't appear to me, and I am a NE public school guy, that Gilmour Academy is some AAU basketball factory. I also wouldn't expect hundreds or thousands of Gilmour fans to caravan to a regional championship basketball game especially when the hockey team was playing for a state title and the school and community in which it resides (Gates Mills) might not even have 5000 people and it isn't the local public.

EDIT- I found an article on the team page...one of the transfer had 12 pts on senior night and another 12 pts in a road game. It's possible s transfer starts, I have no clue but I have given you enough free research. You're welcome.

Last edited:
So..a private school team is kinda like an AAU assembled team..kinda.
I'm not saying that. I'm saying if I live in a town but I want my child to have a private school education, I still know my neighbors and their kids. I may not know the kids my child meets in class.

To answer your question, although I am probably wasting my time judging from your comments, I did a little research. Google is your friend. Took all of 5 minutes.

None of the 3 senior transfers were mentioned in the 3 Gilmour articles I glanced at of doing anything of note.

The freshman on the team Pfundstein is a legacy and father was.coach at Gilmour for 20 years, but now coaches.John Carroll

5 of the players came were at Gilmour prior to 9th grade another 4 come from the same Catholic grade school.

It doesn't appear to me, and I am a NE public school guy, that Gilmour Academy is some AAU basketball factory. I also wouldn't expect hundreds or thousands of Gilmour fans to caravan to a regional championship basketball game especially when the hockey team was playing for a state title and the school and community in which it resides (Gates Mills) might not even have 5000 people and it isn't the local public.

EDIT- I found an article on the team page...one of the transfer had 12 pts on senior night and another 12 pts in a road game. It's possible s transfer starts, I have no clue but I have given you enough free research. You're welcome.
Thank you. Very well written and thanks for the research :)

The state Championship hockey game had an attendance of 1545 people. So it was not the reason fans were not at the basketball game.
Toledo to Columbus…130 miles
Cleveland to Columbus…140 miles
Gilmour enrollment…600
TSF enrollment…700
Saturday night game…1500 is a weak crowd?

I can't speak to what they have or haven't done regarding "roster management", but Gilmour has a very good coach. Prior to going to Gilmour, I thought he did a tremendous job during his four year run at Bishop Ready. I'm not much of a poll person, but I believe he had them ranked #1 for a few weeks during his last season there. I thought they could have won 1-2 district titles if not for being in a loaded district draw with Harvest Prep, Africentric, Wellington, Grandview Heights, etc.

I'm not surprised he's found a lot of success at Gilmour
Has done an excellent job at Gilmour

Over the Hills knows that I am not the biggest fan of Gilmour but all of the items brought up in this thread against them are pure BS, good for these players and the Gilmour community at large. And by the way a community is more than just a geographical place with physical borders, it also defined as a feeling of fellowship with others, as a result of sharing common attitudes, interests, and goals. In this case educating young people in the the Congregation of Holy Cross tradition is their primary goal of which athletics is a part but not the defining aspect of their community. So if some students want to go to a hockey game or some would rather go to an orchestra concert or some may have something else going on in their life so be it, it's not a reason to get down on an entire institution because the guard play of the opposing school that day sucked.
Auggie as usual you are on the money here.
I’ll tolerate your occasional GA digs lol
because I am also supporter of the Bengals.

Cdub I’m gonna hire you as my Yappi research rep.
Brother you have free time lol.
Ok so we learned that a few guys that don’t play much if at all transferred to GA in earlier HS years.
Also that most of the guys that do play a lot went to grade school at Gilmour too.
Good stuff.

Gilmour enrollment…600
TSF enrollment…700
Hey cat not to pick on ya but last I saw GA has 400 ish or less HS students.
the 600 # above includes the k-8 graders.

FWIW, Gilmour petitioned to move the St. Mary's game to an earlier time so the students could attend both the BB game at BGSU and the hockey championship game in Columbus. BGSU and OHSAA were OK with it, but St. Mary's said no. I don't blame St. Mary's for not wanting to give up an edge, but to slam Gilmour for not having a student section is a joke. Maybe time to let this one go ...

Gilmour enrollment…600
TSF enrollment…700
I didn't say it was a bad crowd. I said that with 1545 in attendance at the hockey game it was not the reason the basketball had a low attendance.
Both GA and TSF have listed enrollments of 700 but you also have to assume that a large part of the attendance are fans not connected to a school.

I didn't say it was a bad crowd. I said that with 1545 in attendance at the hockey game it was not the reason the basketball had a low attendance.
Both GA and TSF have listed enrollments of 700 but you also have to assume that a large part of the attendance are fans not connected to a school.
Not sure what exposure you have to Ohio high school hockey...in NEO, it's very popular with the students...much less so with the larger community (older alums, etc.)...1500...most of that might have been students.

No surprise to me that Gilmour hockey is more popular with its mostly wealthy students than basketball...a school with 5 hockey teams...one being a "prep" hockey team that plays at a level above the OHSAA.

Not sure what exposure you have to Ohio high school hockey...in NEO, it's very popular with the students...much less so with the larger community (older alums, etc.)...1500...most of that might have been students.

No surprise to me that Gilmour hockey is more popular with its mostly wealthy students than basketball...a school with 5 hockey teams...one being a "prep" hockey team that plays at a level above the OHSAA.
I did not attend this year but have been to a few state championships. I would predict that of the 1545 counted, less than 250 were in both student sections. Of the 78 schools in Ohio, less than 75 of them entered this years tournament. A portion of any sport's state championship is coaches from schools not involved in the game. Add in the number of true ice hockey fans not connected to either team and potential scouts/college recruits and the faithful Blue Jacket season ticket holders, there may have been just as many adults there not from GA or TSF as there was from those schools. But regardless of all that, does it really matter. Facts are that private schools bring smaller crowds, they always have and probably always will.

1647366221490.jpeg

Gilmour student section after the game winner. I find it interesting they have two hockey programs on campus: one OHSAA sanctioned and another playing a AA/AAA schedule.

The 2nd hockey team is a prep team, they have boarding students that live on campus from all over the US and Canada. Not sure if they still have non hockey players living in the dorms but here is their most famous alum who was an out of state resident at Gilmour>

DK5-530x358.jpg

But regardless of all that, does it really matter. Facts are that private schools bring smaller crowds, they always have and probably always will.
and even when presented with facts that have proven otherwise, you still don't get it.