CVC to add Madison, Jefferson and Conneaut

I wonder if Kirtland is projecting some changes to their football program. Otherwise, I think they should be swapped with Orange so they are in the Chagrin Division.

I wonder if Kirtland is projecting some changes to their football program. Otherwise, I think they should be swapped with Orange so they are in the Chagrin Division.
I heard from some football parents this past year that they thought being in the Chagrin division would be a 2-3 year thing; without any definitive proof of course. I’m still hoping they stay in the Chagrin; swapping with Orange like you said.

Numbers are down a bit for the next few years (football roster-wise; not enrollment-wise). I am not sure how the team will fare talent-wise in terms of Division V/VI, however. They have certainly set the ceiling pretty high the last ten years, so hopefully if there’s a drop off in the next few years, it’s not a very steep one.

Last edited:
I heard from some football parents this past year that they thought being in the Chagrin division would be a one or two year thing; without any definitive proof of course. I’m still hoping they stay in the Chagrin; swapping with Orange like you said.

Numbers are down a bit for the next few years (football roster-wise; not enrollment-wise). I am not sure how the team will fare talent-wise in terms of Division V, however. They have certainly set the ceiling pretty high the last ten years, so hopefully if there’s a drop off, it’s not a very steep one.
Aren't those divisions subject to change by sport? Betting football has some changes. 24 teams if Richmond hts doesn't play

Aren't those divisions subject to change by sport? Betting football has some changes. 24 teams if Richmond hts doesn't play
I believe there will be 25 without Richmond Heights.

Lake Division: Madison, Geneva, Lakeside, Jefferson, Conneaut and Edgewood
Chagrin Division: Chagrin Falls, Orange, West Geauga, Lutheran West, Hawken and Perry
Valley Division: Berkshire, Cardinal, Kirtland, Crestwood, Grand Valley and Harvey
Metro Division: Independence, Beachwood, Cuyahoga Heights, Independence, Trinity, Brooklyn and Wickliffe

Lutheran West must be projecting some strong upcoming teams. Surprising to see them placed in another division outside the Metro.

I'm pretty sure those are the geographical divisions. I bet changes will be made forn some sports. Especially the revenue sports of football and boys basketball

Doing the football divisions will be interesting. Nobody outside of Ashtabula County wants to play at Conneaut in football (or most anything). Will football stay with three divisions or bump up to four? I think they might do four and institute some crossovers.

If they were trying to do three, it would probably look something like this:

Chagrin - Perry, West G, Kirtland, Chagrin, Geneva, Lakeside, Madison, Orange

Metro - Beachwood, Independence, Hawken, Lutheran West, Cuyahoga Heights, Wickliffe, Trinity, Brooklyn

Valley - Cardinal, Berkshire, Grand Valley, Crestwood, Edgewood, Jefferson, Harvey, Conneaut

The Valley division is a bit goofy, but that’s the only place that makes sense IF they went to three divisions.

Doing the football divisions will be interesting. Nobody outside of Ashtabula County wants to play at Conneaut in football (or most anything). Will football stay with three divisions or bump up to four? I think they might do four and institute some crossovers.

If they were trying to do three, it would probably look something like this:

Chagrin - Perry, West G, Kirtland, Chagrin, Geneva, Lakeside, Madison, Orange

Metro - Beachwood, Independence, Hawken, Lutheran West, Cuyahoga Heights, Wickliffe, Trinity, Brooklyn

Valley - Cardinal, Berkshire, Grand Valley, Crestwood, Edgewood, Jefferson, Harvey, Conneaut

The Valley division is a bit goofy, but that’s the only place that makes sense IF they went to three divisions.
They actually provided the tentative divisions in the article linked above. I think that includes football.

They actually provided the tentative divisions in the article linked above. I think that includes football.
They didn’t come out and say it was the football division, but they didn’t say it wasn’t either. I think the four division setup is the most likely. I was just guessing how they would do a three division one IF that is the route they will go.

The large, overstuffed conference does give them flexibility to move grabs around in different sports as needed. But more often than not, I expect geography to trump size and competition.

No. The articles say it could change for a handful of sports
Agreed. Very likely this changes by sport, as many of these schools do not have offerings in many of these sports. As for football:

- The proposed Lake division is basically a reformation of the old Northeastern Conference, sans Harvey, PV, Riverside, and St. John. And I doubt anyone outside that division wants to travel to Conneaut.
- The Metro makes sense, especially if Richmond Heights returns; mostly the old MAC-8
- The Valley division also mostly makes sense, today's setup minus Beachwood and Hawken/Kirtland switching
- The Chagrin division is a bit of a head-scratcher; Lutheran West giving up the short drives in the Metro to make longer ones in the Chagrin? Hawken and Kirtland switching divisions?

Ultimately, I think Kirtland stays in the Chagrin, because they'd be untested in a lower division, even in a down year for them. So the question is what happens with LW and Hawken. If Hawken moves up, Wickliffe would go back to the Valley. And Lutheran West would have to choose between competition and travel. And it's going to 4 divisions; three divisions means one has 9 teams, and that's a nightmare for all involved.

LW enrollment is going to be in the 215 range for three grades, I think come the next count.

geography prevails here most of the time. there will probably be some sport-specific swaps, but four divisions will be the norm across sports.

Definitely happy for Conneaut. I always felt kinda bad for them being just far enough out there to be shunned by conferences in OH. It also seems the Ashtabula County schools are seeing the grass isn’t always greener and are sort of reforming a version of the old NEC. Might as well invite Perry and Harvey and make it an eight school league of its own.

Harvey fits well in both the Valley and Lake divisions. The CVC has quickly become a great home for them. Perry, in the long term, appears to prefer to align more with the Geauga/Cuyahoga County schools.

Harvey fits well in both the Valley and Lake divisions. The CVC has quickly become a great home for them. Perry, in the long term, appears to prefer to align more with the Geauga/Cuyahoga County schools.
It probably doesn’t matter, since with the six team divisions schools like Madison and Geneva have plenty of room on the schedule to play Perry, and vice versa, every year. Riverside too, for that matter.

Agreed. Very likely this changes by sport, as many of these schools do not have offerings in many of these sports. As for football:

- The proposed Lake division is basically a reformation of the old Northeastern Conference, sans Harvey, PV, Riverside, and St. John. And I doubt anyone outside that division wants to travel to Conneaut.
- The Metro makes sense, especially if Richmond Heights returns; mostly the old MAC-8
- The Valley division also mostly makes sense, today's setup minus Beachwood and Hawken/Kirtland switching
- The Chagrin division is a bit of a head-scratcher; Lutheran West giving up the short drives in the Metro to make longer ones in the Chagrin? Hawken and Kirtland switching divisions?

Ultimately, I think Kirtland stays in the Chagrin, because they'd be untested in a lower division, even in a down year for them. So the question is what happens with LW and Hawken. If Hawken moves up, Wickliffe would go back to the Valley. And Lutheran West would have to choose between competition and travel. And it's going to 4 divisions; three divisions means one has 9 teams, and that's a nightmare for all involved.
Lutheran West must be projecting some strong upcoming teams. Surprising to see them placed in another division outside the Metro.
LW had 40 players on Varsity and 40 Players on JV last year. They lose 12 seniors and look to bring in 20 freshmen. As a D4 school, they need more playoff points than the Metro is able to give them. They went 8-1 (loss to Kirtland and Harvey dodged them) and barely hosted a game. They are giving up short drives for better matchups.

LW had 40 players on Varsity and 40 Players on JV last year. They lose 12 seniors and look to bring in 20 freshmen. As a D4 school, they need more playoff points than the Metro is able to give them. They went 8-1 (loss to Kirtland and Harvey dodged them) and barely hosted a game. They are giving up short drives for better matchups.
Wow! Tough region! Good for them!