Do you root for your alma mater or someone else?

Do you root for your alma mater or someone else?

• Alma Mater

Votes: 56 52.8%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 10 9.4%
  • You can root for both I guess

Votes: 40 37.7%

• Total voters

OH-Fan-2015

Just something different here. Curious on how many people root for their alma mater or how many people moved and root for the school their kids went to

I will always root for my alma mater, but I also root for several other teams. My son plays for a different school, so obviously I'm rooting for them. I have several buddies who are coaches, so I am usually rooting for them unless their playing my alma mater or my son's team. There are so many high school football teams that I would guess there are very few people who only root for one school.

I will always root for my alma mater, but I also root for several other teams. My son plays for a different school, so obviously I'm rooting for them. I have several buddies who are coaches, so I am usually rooting for them unless their playing my alma mater or my son's team. There are so many high school football teams that I would guess there are very few people who only root for one school.
You are right. I guess I meant if you had to narrow it down. Pretty much was curious overall of how many people stayed in their hometown and had their kids play at the same school as them vs how many guys moved away and had kids play elsewhere

I look for information on the program where my adult child is moving to and decide if im
A fan or not of that program.

Of course I root for my alma mater the Mentor Cardinals. Also root for public schools near where I grew up (wrc schools like Chardon ) and also public schools in below D1 near where I live now

I root for my kids High school McNick and from afar my high school where I played 3 sports Greensburg Central Catholic. I guess I lean toward other GCL schools to do well in the postseason (not Alter so much, lol)

I moved from my hometown more than 30 years ago and there were times when I didn't root for anyone. Usually it's the team in the area I reside in-but it gets hard when the team does poorly.

1) Alma Mater/Kids' school
2) Publics
3) Cincinnati privates when up against other privates

Last edited:
One thing I find interesting is how public school fans will root for other public schools in their area or in tue conference.
When I, as a private school fan, hope that all the other private schools around us never win another game.

I'll always root for my alma mater the hardest. But like SC12, I typically root for other conference members. Especially when they're in the state finals. It's a MAC thing, for sure.

There are schools that I do like better than others though, and not just in conference. A determining factor that I personally go by is how many friends I ran around with in my youth from certain schools. Same goes for the flip side, if I met more d*ckheads from certain schools, I typically still root against them to this day.
I'm a child who still holds decades old grudges... but then again, those people don't usually move out of their hometowns and raise more little sh*ts, so that's my justification.

Who I root for:
1. Fort Recovery (alma mater)
2. Jay County
3. Versailles
4. Parkway

Who I root against:
1. Fort Loramie
2. St. Henry
3. Coldwater (sorry SC12, you're cool)

my alma mater #1, but always root for Eastwood and Woodmore in OOC, against certain other league schools, and in the playoffs. I played in an allstar game after I graduated and loved both of their coaching staffs, especially Jerry Rutherford from Eastwood, and Lou Bosch from Woodmore. Ran into them for a few years afterward and they always remembered me and stopped to talk for a minute. Very similar to the coach I played for in school. Just good guys all around, much more interested in helping guide teenagers to a good life than winning football games.

I am apart of another district as a teacher but live in my alma mater's district. I obviously support the district and students I teach and am happy when my alma mater wins, which they do significantly more!

I am a fan of smaller Division Schools besides my D1 School. I have made some great friends from this venture that has been fun and had some neat experiences

There is a school in Stark county that I do NOT root against. However, I am entertained by the inevitable crisis that ensues from the fanbase after the final game. They want to be like JOES and BENNY but they are never marvelous enough to realize it.

Root for my Alma Mater Massillon, but moved to Kettering after college so I root for Alter, just so I can go to games and claim to be a fan

I pretty much root for whatever Stark County area school is having a really good year. So I was more interested in what Green was doing late in the season rather than Jackson. Although if they play Jackson, then they gotta die (which they did).

You are right. I guess I meant if you had to narrow it down. Pretty much was curious overall of how many people stayed in their hometown and had their kids play at the same school as them vs how many guys moved away and had kids play elsewhere
My family moved to a neighboring community of where I grew up and played ball, so I have the luxury of supporting both. I would love for my kid to play where I played, but the community and the school has fallen on hard times in the last 25 and it's just not a great place for sports or education. Truthfully, I've always been a big fan of high school football. It's my favor level to watch and follow, though college and pro aren't far behind lol. I love my alma mater, but even in high school there were several area schools I followed and rooted for as long as they weren't playing us.

I root for whoever my kids play for and my alma mater. When they played each other, I rooted for my kids (even though there is no way in hell they will ever beat my alma mater). Now that my son has graduated I find myself rooting for my Alma mater more and more.

Greenhills HS closed in 1991....my alma mater in Cincinnati.
<--- see cool Pioneer mascot .... what mascot HAS A GUN ANYMORE!

Winton Woods HS was the new school that replaced it after Greenhills merged with rival Forest Park HS.
Of course I am a huge supporter of the school.

In this order, I root for this long list.....

My kid's HS - not the same as where I grew up.
Winton Woods
My friend's kids schools.
Schools that I worked at as a teacher and coach.
Schools that my friends work at and coach at.
Any other school that gives me a good reason.....don't be an a-hole and I'll roll with ya.

My alma mater comes in 2nd after my parent's alma mater. We moved to a bordering town when I was 5. My parents had season tickets to their school's games, so we attended every game until I was in high school, and many while I was in high school. After college I got my own season tickets to their alma mater. Brainwashed as a child.

Went to Walsh Jesuit. Grew up in the Nordonia district (and my folks still live there). While I'd like for my alma mater to do well, I liked the people at Nordonia more... Walsh was White Goodman, Nordonia was Peter LaFleur. Nordonia winning state would mean more to those people; Walsh won their only state title my freshman year, and it was forgotten about a week later.