Restaurant chains that are no more

When I was little, everybody was going to the BBF (Burger Boy Food-o-rama). Home of the whirling satellite!

Duff's Smorgasboard in Columbus - remember going there for my parents' bowling banquets and on Mother's Day back then. Wasn't the Columbus location called David's Buffet prior to Duff's?

Funeral home - yes, Cols has one that used be a Bonanza steahouse. I've gone there for a few visitations, invariably I'll look at the bier in one room and think "yep, that's where the salad bar was".

Rax - was called "Jax" in the 1970's before they changed and expanded. I believe Circleville and Lancaster still have a Rax. Went to the Lancaster one a few years ago, looked like the original carpeting and fixtures. Food was okay, the surroundings looked tired and run-down.

TGI Friday's - every time I see one, I shudder. Many decades ago, my buddy and his gf fixed me up with a blind date for dinner at TGIF. My first girlfriend had recenly sent me a Dear John letter, and I was still sulking about it during the meal. I think I asked my date for her phone number afterward, and she politely declined. I've avoided Friday's ever since, lol. :geek:

When I was little, everybody was going to the BBF (Burger Boy Food-o-rama). Home of the whirling satellite!

Duff's Smorgasboard in Columbus - remember going there for my parents' bowling banquets and on Mother's Day back then. Wasn't the Columbus location called David's Buffet prior to Duff's?

Funeral home - yes, Cols has one that used be a Bonanza steahouse. I've gone there for a few visitations, invariably I'll look at the bier in one room and think "yep, that's where the salad bar was".

Rax - was called "Jax" in the 1970's before they changed and expanded. I believe Circleville and Lancaster still have a Rax. Went to the Lancaster one a few years ago, looked like the original carpeting and fixtures. Food was okay, the surroundings looked tired and run-down.

TGI Friday's - every time I see one, I shudder. Many decades ago, my buddy and his gf fixed me up with a blind date for dinner at TGIF. My first girlfriend had recenly sent me a Dear John letter, and I was still sulking about it during the meal. I think I asked my date for her phone number afterward, and she politely declined. I've avoided Friday's ever since, lol. :geek:

In case you get the urge to eat at Duff’s

Do not recall most of these. We still have a couple Frisch's Big Boy's in my neck of the woods. Chi-Chis and Ponderosa are ones I recogonize (I miss Ponderosa TBH).

In NWOhio there was a small Midwest chain called Sveden House which was dynamite smorgasbord style. We also had Rax, Ya-Ya's Chicken, and Original Pancake Houses. Godfather Pizza is another but they still have some down South and in Florida.

Be curious to hear some others?

There's a Godfathers in Lima.

they had the foot long hot dogs, right?
I don't know. I just remember that one of my younger brothers used to get up early and clean up their parking lot before school when he was in jr hi. I never ate out when I was a kid because we always had free food at home.

I don't know. I just remember that one of my younger brothers used to get up early and clean up their parking lot before school when he was in jr hi. I never ate out when I was a kid because we always had free food at home.

I'm almost sure. It was somewhere my Ma would take us for a treat. Like an A&W but with the foot long hotdogs. It wasn't in the city (Toledo) but close by.

Burger Chef for every time I could not stomach the High School Cafeteria lunch
Penguin Point Tenderloins
Rax Roast Beef

Been beating my brain trying to think of this ice cream place. We had to drive across town to the new mall. You got a free sundae on your birthday but I remember most was this monster sundae.

Farrel's. Any of those still around?

and there was a place with free peanuts, shells all over the floor. Can't recall the name of that one.

and there was a place with free peanuts, shells all over the floor. Can't recall the name of that one.
I remember my friends talking about Farrell's when I was in high school, but never went myself.

Peanut shells - Ground Round, perhaps? That's the first one I remember. The defunct Roadhouse chain did that also, I think.

Farrell's! Had one by Southwyck.

Also had a 31 flavors on Byrne but those are still around I think (Baskin Robbins).

Ground Round was on Alexis near the old Northtowne Mall. It is a Sidelines today.

Burger Chef for every time I could not stomach the High School Cafeteria lunch
Penguin Point Tenderloins
Rax Roast Beef
Penguin Point. We had one. Van wert as well. In 2017 I saw a couple in northern Indiana but they looked much diff...unsre if they were the same franchise

Been beating my brain trying to think of this ice cream place. We had to drive across town to the new mall. You got a free sundae on your birthday but I remember most was this monster sundae.

Last one closed three years ago in California..

Roy Rogers was a copycat Hardee's, no?

Like Rally's/Checkers, Krystal's/White Castles.
I don't believe so. Roy Rogers was all about roast beef and not burgers. Saw plenty of them on family road trips, but the only Roy Rogers I ever ate at was in Pittsburgh's Station Square during my 8th grade class trip.

Carl's Jr. is the West Coast equivalent of Hardee's.

My town had a Rally's for maybe 10 years. Was disappointed to see it go. Ate at one a couple years ago but picked a bad time to go (Fri. at 6pm). I had to park the car and wait for them to make my Big Bufords after having already waited in the drive-thru line for 20 min.

Last edited:
Are there still any Scotto Pizza places? Use to be in every DeBartolo mall.
Wow, haven't thought about that place in a long time! Only ate their pizza once or twice because they had a coupon in the Entertainment book. Mellet Mall, a.k.a. Canton Centre had one.

Anyone know if they still publish the Entertainment coupon books that various organizations would sell as fundraisers?

Wow, haven't thought about that place in a long time! Only ate their pizza once or twice because they had a coupon in the Entertainment book. Mellet Mall, a.k.a. Canton Centre had one.

Anyone know if they still publish the Entertainment coupon books that various organizations would sell as fundraisers?
Many in our area sell cards with businesses and the discounts at said establishments.
One card hd a buy a blizzard, get one free. Great deal...

Might have been. It was good. When BK first opened, it was the Yumbo, Whaler and Whopper made it different from Micky D's.

confirmed. Foot long hot dogs. I'm keeping that in mind next trip near Elyria. Thanks!

For anybody in or near the Youngstown, Ohio area, you might remember this short-lived restaurant. I know there was one on Belmont Ave. in Liberty, and maybe one over on the West Side or Austintown on Mahoning Ave...?

Dog House.jpg

Might have been. It was good. When BK first opened, it was the Yumbo, Whaler and Whopper made it different from Micky D's.

confirmed. Foot long hot dogs. I'm keeping that in mind next trip near Elyria. Thanks!
Come out to Avon for the Glenville game in Week 3. Both return a ton. Get your hot dog fix on the way.