Restaurant chains that are no more

Ponderosa - #1=sirloin, #2=rib eye, #3=chopped steak. That was the whole menu.

Burger Chef - Many in NW OHIO before any McD's. How do you screw that up?

I've been to that Arthur Treacher's in Cuyahoga Falls. I wish they were still around.

Big Boy is still around

Isaly's - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaly's

Red Barn - I remember one in Sandusky.

L & K - Seems like they were all over NW Ohio.

Friendly's - Used to be several around. Now all in the NE states.

Dutch Pantry -Two remain in central PA. In NW Ohio Fricker's bought the empty buildings and moved in.
#3 was super sirloin. #4 was chopped steak.

1643581789451.jpeg

Great part time job while in college. To this day I still can't drink tequila.

Red Wells, a local roast beef and gravy restaurant chain is one I miss most. Am I remembering wrong or wasn't there a "Robies?" An Arby's competitor?
Is a $chithole bar on Front St. now. The original shut down around 2012? I got a chance to take the boys there before it closed. Was at 5 points.

There was briefly a Duff's in Sandusky, and it briefly sponsored a "super division" tournament softball teams. Like Steeles, a company that made bats.

Friday's is either a money laundering scheme or it now survives entirely on delivery services. There is no one ever there. Friday at 7 and there's like 5 cars. This is the same for every one that I've seen the past few years. Not that I'm sad about it. The "neighborhood sports grille" chains (Applebees, Chilis, etc.) from the 90s can all die. The food is terrible

Any Red Barn fans??
Use to be a location by Benedictine on Buckeye Rd. It was great because you would see old school Hungarians, black folks that were starting to become the dominate group moving into the area, and Benny students all dining in harmony. Place is long gone and that spot is now occupied by McD's...

There was a Duff's in Middletown. My grandma worked there for years. Middletown also had a Chi-Chi's and a Damon's. My second job in high school was at Chi-Chi's. I loved that place, great job, great money in tips as a server's assistant, lots of females in the 17-22 year range working with me, and of course I loved the food. Was always one of my favorite places until it went out of business. I read somewhere there are still a lot of them in Europe, but none in America.

Is a $chithole bar on Front St. now. The original shut down around 2012? I got a chance to take the boys there before it closed. Was at 5 points.

So much superfluous about that statement, lol. You're talking about Red Wells? I thought the one on Sylvania was a bit down from 5-points? Ws it where the candy store is? I can't place it on that intersectin. There was one in the Point. One in Maumee, which is now Levy and Lilac's.

Am I right there used to be another roast beef chain other than Arby's? "Roby's" sure sounds familiar but I think the spelling is wrong. Never a fan of Burger Chef or White Castle. Loved White Tower. The one remaining, not so much.

So much superfluous about that statement, lol. You're talking about Red Wells? I thought the one on Sylvania was a bit down from 5-points? Ws it where the candy store is? I can't place it on that intersectin. There was one in the Point. One in Maumee, which is now Levy and Lilac's.

Am I right there used to be another roast beef chain other than Arby's? "Roby's" sure sounds familiar but I think the spelling is wrong. Never a fan of Burger Chef or White Castle. Loved White Tower. The one remaining, not so much.
You got your Five Points confused (I think). The candy store is across from Mancy's which is another 5 point bastard intersection. The true Five Points is further West. There is actually another at Douglas and Laskey. That whole end of town is whack.

1643681017474.png

1643681104397.png

Not Roy Rogers? I see they're in just in WVA (1) and points east, mainly MD (23).

East, are you feeling alright you have been noticeably absent on the board lately,,, I was beginning to worry,

Last edited:

Are you thinking of Rax?
1643719593988.png

Roy Rogers had a roast beef chain to compete vs Arbys.
Also...
What about Howard Johnsons?
Can't blame me for HoJo going out of business. I wasn't alive yet. There was a HoJo on the north side of Lincoln Way about a block east of the Massillon city limits. It's a doctor's office now.
From what little I could find in a Google search, it sounds like Roby's and Roy Rogers was the same thing. Found comments of a lady talking about a Roby's where Roy Rogers and Trigger made an appearance.
Are you thinking of Rax?
View attachment 26066
As a kid, I ate as much Rax as any other fast food. Growing up, the choices were Rax or Burger Chef, usually for lunch on Saturdays. Rax outlasted Burger Chef by 5 or 6 years. Additionally, my grade school had hot lunch on Tuesdays (probably cuz the janitors had to cover the gym floor anyway for bingo that night), and Rax was part of the rotation. Eventually, the local Rax was being turned into a Fazoli's when it was damaged by fire. The fire would've been worse had there not been a donut shop next door. A cop saw the flames and called it in. Fazoli's rebuilt after the fire. When Fazoli's closed, the building was razed, and an Advanced Auto Parts is on the site now.

The former Burger Chef was razed to build a large gas station.

It must have been Rax or Roy Rogers I was thinking of with the Arby's competitor. Roby might have been that big meathead on Mason St. Names blur...