Stow- Munroe Falls Head Coach Position

It sounds like the administration at Stow has really mismanaged this process. Will probably lead to them not getting the best candidate which affects the experiences of literally hundreds of students and thousands in their community. These folks make too much money to botch simple processes like “hiring” ?
They mismanaged it 4 years ago, so nothings changed. If they would have made the right hire then, they wouldn’t be in this situation now.

This is disappointing for the Stow community. For years, the program underachieved, athletes avoided playing football at Stow, and there was no pride in a losing program. Nori not only turns the program around, but takes it to a completely new level where it looks like Stow can compete at the highest level in Division 1, hoping to rise to the level of beating an Eds, Ignatius, Mentor. They aren't able to keep him happy, bring in Phillips, who keeps the program at a playoff level, albeit not at the level of the program under Nori. Now, with a chance to hire the right coach at current playoff level, and get back to the level Nori had the program at, it seems everyone is ready to let it slide right back into mediocre to low seed in the playoffs. The community deserves a winner. The size, wealth, commitment at the youth level, talent, etc coming through Stow deserves an administration who can get the right guy. One that has a succession plan. Depending on who this hire is, with Nick Alexander seemingly operating on rocket fuel across town with state of the art facilities, we may see some more bulldogs swap mascots for a Warrior like they used to.

This is disappointing for the Stow community. For years, the program underachieved, athletes avoided playing football at Stow, and there was no pride in a losing program. Nori not only turns the program around, but takes it to a completely new level where it looks like Stow can compete at the highest level in Division 1, hoping to rise to the level of beating an Eds, Ignatius, Mentor. They aren't able to keep him happy, bring in Phillips, who keeps the program at a playoff level, albeit not at the level of the program under Nori. Now, with a chance to hire the right coach at current playoff level, and get back to the level Nori had the program at, it seems everyone is ready to let it slide right back into mediocre to low seed in the playoffs. The community deserves a winner. The size, wealth, commitment at the youth level, talent, etc coming through Stow deserves an administration who can get the right guy. One that has a succession plan. Depending on who this hire is, with Nick Alexander seemingly operating on rocket fuel across town with state of the art facilities, we may see some more bulldogs swap mascots for a Warrior like they used to.
I would be very concern with Walsh if I was Stow!

I can't see a public school trying to do this, especially like Stow. They might be botching this hire but they're not that stupid to do something illegal.
I know a very well off district that did this in the past. Ohio law prevents booster clubs from paying coaches from doing their work in season but that’s easy to get around. Depending on the wording, a contract is typically August-end of season. As a booster club, I can write a check for the work a coach does during the summer if they are not contracted by the districted as a weight room supervisor. I can also expand the coaching staff by paying volunteer coaches. Ohio law only deals with payment for what a coach is already being paid for. As far as I know, a coach would get a 1099 for tax purposes. It’s a legal practice that’s done in plenty of other states.

I know a very well off district that did this in the past. Ohio law prevents booster clubs from paying coaches from doing their work in season but that’s easy to get around. Depending on the wording, a contract is typically August-end of season. As a booster club, I can write a check for the work a coach does during the summer if they are not contracted by the districted as a weight room supervisor. I can also expand the coaching staff by paying volunteer coaches. Ohio law only deals with payment for what a coach is already being paid for. As far as I know, a coach would get a 1099 for tax purposes. It’s a legal practice that’s done in plenty of other states.
Understood but it wouldn't benefit a public employee because it wouldn't go towards retirement.

Stow screwed up 4 years ago. Nori left for a better financial package that Stow could not match due to the teachers union. Position had a ton of interest and they hired the wrong guy. Superintendent made the hire ignored the recommendation from hiring committee. . Any momentum Nori created was destroyed. With the talent they had, they should have been way better. Definitely underachieved under Phillips. Everyone in Stow knew guy was leaving with the 2022 class. From what I heard, interest was no where near like it was 4 years ago. They had 4-5 guys they liked. One or two they couldn't make money work due to teacher's union. Probably the most qualified. They got down to their final three, names mentioned in this thread. I was shocked with one of the finalist based on the past. Again, not the coach but the administration. For whatever reason they still can't make their decision. Is this a surprise? Not if you know the Stow administration. They live in their own reality. Its a shame. Stow would lose kids to Hoban, St. V and Walsh every year. Hell they lost one to St Ed's last year. The wrong hire will just increase these numbers especially when you see the investments a school like Walsh has made. They have a great, young, energetic, offensive minded head coach (Great Hire) and now a brand new weightroom. Some schools get it and some just don't.

Stow screwed up 4 years ago. Nori left for a better financial package that Stow could not match due to the teachers union. Position had a ton of interest and they hired the wrong guy. Superintendent made the hire ignored the recommendation from hiring committee. . Any momentum Nori created was destroyed. With the talent they had, they should have been way better. Definitely underachieved under Phillips. Everyone in Stow knew guy was leaving with the 2022 class. From what I heard, interest was no where near like it was 4 years ago. They had 4-5 guys they liked. One or two they couldn't make money work due to teacher's union. Probably the most qualified. They got down to their final three, names mentioned in this thread. I was shocked with one of the finalist based on the past. Again, not the coach but the administration. For whatever reason they still can't make their decision. Is this a surprise? Not if you know the Stow administration. They live in their own reality. Its a shame. Stow would lose kids to Hoban, St. V and Walsh every year. Hell they lost one to St Ed's last year. The wrong hire will just increase these numbers especially when you see the investments a school like Walsh has made. They have a great, young, energetic, offensive minded head coach (Great Hire) and now a brand new weightroom. Some schools get it and some just don't.
This is almost word for word what i hear from coaches, parents, etc. within the community. It also echo's some of my previous comments in this thread. I've spent alot of time around both the Stow and Walsh programs and i wish them both the very best. It is frustrating to say the least that a community as committed and talented as Stow can be held back by politics and $. If it were just kids and coaches and football, Stow would always be in a good spot.

This is almost word for word what i hear from coaches, parents, etc. within the community. It also echo's some of my previous comments in this thread. I've spent alot of time around both the Stow and Walsh programs and i wish them both the very best. It is frustrating to say the least that a community as committed and talented as Stow can be held back by politics and $. If it were just kids and coaches and football, Stow would always be in a good spot.
Agreed, far to much politics in these schools. It's kids that get hurt.

Well this has been an interesting one to follow via Yappi. Am curious to see where and when this lands. Certainly thought this job would be filled by the end of January.

This is very accurate…

To be honest, I would have loved if they could have made it work with Barberton coach. Unfortunately he was off table early. I think the hire is best fit for the community and kids. That’s a big win in my book.

He was always a finalist
I know they liked him, and he was highly considered, but I do know for a fact that when they were deliberating on candidates before the whole debacle went down that he was out of the running. That is from an extremely reliable source.

Not Gotto nor will it be Pete Thompson. As mentioned on here by several, Fairless and Southeast coaches emerged as finalists along with another coach mentioned on here, a former OC at Stow. Unfortunately, Union contracts and a potential teaching position have now complicated things. Should be interesting.
The above three were the ones I heard got second interviews. So I equate that to finalists. Barberton guy was favorite but was out early. Never heard Streetsboro’s guy mentioned. Again no idea about specifics, but definitely something happened between Monday and Friday. No idea about position with school. All I know is they got their coach. Once announced I’m sure more details will come out.

I
I know they liked him, and he was highly considered, but I do know for a fact that when they were deliberating on candidates before the whole debacle went down that he was out of the running. That is from an extremely reliable source.
your source not great, he was always a finalist

The above three were the ones I heard got second interviews. So I equate that to finalists. Barberton guy was favorite but was out early. Never heard Streetsboro’s guy mentioned. Again no idea about specifics, but definitely something happened between Monday and Friday. No idea about position with school. All I know is they got their coach. Once announced I’m sure more details will come out.
Same as you heard, Streetsboro Coach never mentioned. Gotto out early because of things Stow couldn’t match.

I

your source not great, he was always a finalist
Lol that one we can agree to disagree. I can 100% guarantee Poder was out at one time.

Regardless, it sounds like a good hire for Stow and a loss for Brecksville. I have to say I’m also very surprised that Stow couldn’t match Barberton.

As I said before, Stow can expect a boost on the offensive side of the ball with Poder. Back to offenses like with Gobble, Andrassy, etc. Poder likes to put his best player in the slot and adjust from there. Quick reads for the QB. Between an improved offense and building with the youth program, this is, like others have said, the hire they should have made last time around.

Lol that one we can agree to disagree. I can 100% guarantee Poder was out at one time.

Regardless, it sounds like a good hire for Stow and a loss for Brecksville. I have to say I’m also very surprised that Stow couldn’t match Barberton.
The teachers union strikes again.