SWOC

cincysports4

With Ross and (edgewood rumored) moving to the SWBL.. What do Harrison, Talawanda, Mt. Healthy and Northwest Do?

You got to think Harrison (best sports and probably enrollment) have to get out of that and find something bigger and better?

In ideal world for them, they would join the GMC but I think they are 5-10 years from being big enough and I don’t think the GMC will ask anyone to leave especially a founding member like Middletown, no matter how bad some the programs are and if OHSSA now groups them with Dayton. I don’t know if another school they could get to join with them unless GMC would take an odd number. They seem the most out of luck in this position. The next best options is to be the literal western most Cincinnati school in an east side league or independent but have contracts in place for reoccurring games with closet indiana district (since IN does districts). Mostly likely they are screwed and have to be independent for awhile until another round of conference and schools changes

Mt. Healthily is likely to go CMAC

Northwest may have to be independent or temporarily CMAC, not sure. Probably won’t be a problem but the district won’t finalize the plans for new middle and high school buildings until later in the year. Probably (should) will merge with Colerain but it will be some time to decide and then build.

The next best options is to be the literal western most Cincinnati school in an east side league or independent but have contracts in place for reoccurring games with closet indiana district (since IN does districts). Mostly likely they are screwed and have to be independent for awhile until another round of conference and schools changes
Not true at all Indiana does have conferences. In fact the leadership of the SWOC tried to merge with the EIAC (Eastern Indiana Athletic Conference) a few years back. East Central, Lawrenceburg, Batesville, Greensburg, South Dearborn, Franklin County, Rushville, and Connersville. Harrison would fit well into this league with travel not being as far as if they were to join the ECC or GMC.

and before you ask, no there are no rules preventing intra-state conferences

I remember a few years back the SWAC turned their back on Winton Woods, I hope schools that don't find a home go Independent and see how it feels to cobble together a schedule.

Not true at all Indiana does have conferences. In fact the leadership of the SWOC tried to merge with the EIAC (Eastern Indiana Athletic Conference) a few years back. East Central, Lawrenceburg, Batesville, Greensburg, South Dearborn, Franklin County, Rushville, and Connersville. Harrison would fit well into this league with travel not being as far as if they were to join the ECC or GMC.

The SWOC falling apart intrigues me.

If the leagues stays together you have a four team league, and you basically have another GCL-S with only 3 league games.

Northwest and Mt Healthy easily go to CMAC and are happy there. The schools are similar and they would be a good fit.

Talawanda and Harrison are left out.

Talawanda could join the SWBL in round two. I am hearing some of the smaller schools in SWBL might mover over to the Southern Buckeye Conference freeing up room in the SWBL.

When the FAVC broke up and became the SWOC and ECC they did it because of massive travel. So I don't see Harrison going to the ECC. Harrison is too small for the GMC and the GMC is happy with 10 teams right now, I don't see them wanting 11. The CHL is another option, but they might be too big for them. The CMAC verfy different demographics and wouldn't be a good fit. These are the only Hamilton County/Butler County Conferences I know of.

I do like your idea of joining the Indiana Conference. The schools you listed very greatly in size ( I am not an expert on their size) So they would fit. They could join the conference and no rules are against it. I have heard of Ohio/Michigan and Ohio/West Virginia conferences. The problem I see that could be a potential is too many teams already in the conference. You listed 8 schools. Indiana only plays 9 games. So if Harrison were to join, that would mean the Indiana schools would only have one non-conference game, Do those schools like that? For instance East Central and Harrison always play anyway, does East Central have another game like that, it wouldn't be able to play because of the expanded conference? The second point is that Indiana and Ohio don't always start football the same week. Indiana for the longest time always started a week earlier than Ohio, that could mess somethings up for football. The other thing is are the sports offered at the same time? In Ohio Boys Tennis is a Spring sport, Indiana it is a fall sport.

Personally I would love it if Harrison and to a lesser extent Talawanda would be forced to go Independent. This would almost force a dream match up for me of Elder vs Harrison. If you think about it when Winton Woods was forced to go independent, that is when they started to get good. They were playing better teams that forced them to get better.

On the flip side The SWOC has only had 6 members and 5 leagues games so members are use to finding 5 other games. The four schools could stay together and just find 7 games.

The SWOC was doomed from the beginning. After seeing the FAVC Scarlet I'm puzzled. Who thought this was a good idea. I'm sure Harrison has contingency plans.

The SWOC was doomed from the beginning. After seeing the FAVC Scarlet I'm puzzled. Who thought this was a good idea. I'm sure Harrison has contingency plans.

After LM left it was the start of the end. It always blew my mind that Harrison and Edgewood hadn't found a home yet.

The rumor is Talawanda will be added to the SWBL once another school (4th addition) is found.
Question is whose the 4th school? Clinton-Massie?

What about Talawanda? Similar situation as Harrison. Were they not invited to SWBL? What about the Cincinnati Hills League?
I think the CHL makes some geographic sense for Harrison, but I'm not sure it's a fit school-size-wise. I think Taylor and Harrison used to have a rivalry on the football field back in the day, but I'm not sure it would be much of a contest these days. Not sure about the other sports.

I do like your idea of joining the Indiana Conference. The schools you listed very greatly in size ( I am not an expert on their size) So they would fit. They could join the conference and no rules are against it. I have heard of Ohio/Michigan and Ohio/West Virginia conferences. The problem I see that could be a potential is too many teams already in the conference. You listed 8 schools. Indiana only plays 9 games. So if Harrison were to join, that would mean the Indiana schools would only have one non-conference game, Do those schools like that? For instance East Central and Harrison always play anyway, does East Central have another game like that, it wouldn't be able to play because of the expanded conference? The second point is that Indiana and Ohio don't always start football the same week. Indiana for the longest time always started a week earlier than Ohio, that could mess somethings up for football. The other thing is are the sports offered at the same time? In Ohio Boys Tennis is a Spring sport, Indiana it is a fall sport.

there is not as great of a size disparity as you think Harrison would probably fall in about the middle. For football they split the conference in half 3A and 4A schools, so they could fit in 4A easily, would give you 4 league games. Most of the schools play a cross-over game or two. Leaves you only having to find 3 or 4 games instead of 10. With Ohio moving the start of the year back a week Indiana and Ohio now start on the same week. And it is much easier to be an independent in golf or tennis than football.
It’s not ideal for Harrison but there really isn’t a realistic better option.

In Ohio. How do you know the EIAC membership is not contingent on being a member of IHSAA?

In Ohio. How do you know the EIAC membership is not contingent on being a member of IHSAA?
I don’t but I know for a fact there was serious talks about merging the EIAC and SWOC, why would the powers to be even meet about it if it wasn’t possible? Also, I would assume just like the OHSSA the IHSAA wants nothing to do with a conference alignment.

Why do you think this is the case? All the schools seem relatively competitive and geographically close. As a new(ish) resident in the SWOC footprint I would love to learn more about this.

there is not as great of a size disparity as you think Harrison would probably fall in about the middle. For football they split the conference in half 3A and 4A schools, so they could fit in 4A easily, would give you 4 league games. Most of the schools play a cross-over game or two. Leaves you only having to find 3 or 4 games instead of 10. With Ohio moving the start of the year back a week Indiana and Ohio now start on the same week. And it is much easier to be an independent in golf or tennis than football.
It’s not ideal for Harrison but there really isn’t a realistic better option.
After I posted this, I went and looked at East Central's 2021 schedule and Harrison could fit on the big school side of the conference. But I have found AD's like being in neat little boxes and I could see the tennis issue being a problem. But It would be easier to be indpendent in tennis than football.

Isn’t Conneaut the school is NE Ohio that’s actually a member of a Pennsylvania Conference? Harrison is in the same boat/stuck in a corner. I never realized just HOW stuck they are until I looked at a map.

Would the CHL consider Mt. Healthy too? I don’t remember if that was mentioned already

If both of them could get in the CHL, Tallawanda into the SWBL, and Northwest consolidate with Colerain, that’d take care of every school. But that’s a lot of ifs.

After I posted this, I went and looked at East Central's 2021 schedule and Harrison could fit on the big school side of the conference. But I have found AD's like being in neat little boxes and I could see the tennis issue being a problem. But It would be easier to be indpendent in tennis than football.
Another option would be to join the Indiana conference for football and join an Ohio conference for all other sports.

Sounds like CMAC will come out a winner once the SWOC falls. Adding Northwest and Mt. Healthy would be good for them.

the CMAC-RED division would be at 8 teams with the addition of Mt Healthy and Northwest, would actually be a decent league in football and basketball. Mt Healthy and Taft would have some nice matchups.

couldn’t Harrison and Talawanda BOTH join the Indiana league? the travel actually works out well, and that would make them a 12 team league which is almost ideal.

Low participation not fielding all teams. Nortwest and MH fanbases travel very poorly I'm saying 28 people or so. I was at an Edgewood MH game a couple of years ago when the Owls were undefeated the Edgewood crowd had them outnumbered 2000 to 50. It was at MH last game of the season and senior night. The best thing I can say about MH is they have a decent concession stand. Nortwest not so much.

Isn’t Conneaut the school is NE Ohio that’s actually a member of a Pennsylvania Conference? Harrison is in the same boat/stuck in a corner. I never realized just HOW stuck they are until I looked at a map.

Would the CHL consider Mt. Healthy too? I don’t remember if that was mentioned already

If both of them could get in the CHL, Tallawanda into the SWBL, and Northwest consolidate with Colerain, that’d take care of every school. But that’s a lot of ifs.
Conneaut was part of District 10 until a few months ago. Too many disparities between Ohio and PA rules was one of the major reasons. Off the top of my head, quarters played in basketball, the mercy rule in multiple sports, pitch count, and overtime rules were some of them.

couldn’t Harrison and Talawanda BOTH join the Indiana league? the travel actually works out well, and that would make them a 12 team league which is almost ideal.

Do postseason weeks matchup? Can they make schedules work for ALL sports based on when the respective sports begin their regular season and begin their postseason tournaments?

Harrison's 2022 Schedule for what it's worth.

At Wyoming
East Central
Miamisburg
At Western Hills
At Clinton Massie
Talawanda
Mt. Healthy
Ross
At Northwest
At Edgewood

Do postseason weeks matchup? Can they make schedules work for ALL sports based on when the respective sports begin their regular season and begin their postseason tournaments?
everything I've looked at points towards it matching up pretty well.

If I was Northwestern or Mt Healthy I'd get in contact with the Cincinnati Hills league, they already have D3 schools in the conference.