Stow- Munroe Falls Head Coach Position

Fairless coach Barberton coach and the Streetsboro coach were finalists. Southeast coach is a name I haven’t heard. There wasn’t much classroom time the previous head coach had if any. The years experience given is a factor for who this goes to. A prominent and well respected member on the committee loves the Fairless coach.
Will be interesting to see if the guys that don't get it (whoever that ends up being) are in the running elsewhere. You'd have to assume so

That respected member of the committee will regret his decision. As mentioned earlier, coaching against Tuslaw, Manchester, Tusky Valley, Claymont and Loudonville is not the same as coaching against Nordonia, Hudson or St Ignatius in playoffs. Gotto from Barberton should be the choice. What he did at Barberton the last few years is short of remarkable.
By that rationale Jim Tressel should have never been hired at Ohio State. If you are a good coach I think that translates whether you at Fairless or Stow. You at the mercy, to a degree, to the available talent you have to work. The next year or two at Stow will see a decline in overall talent in that the cycle goes down. We’ll see what happens in the long run. It really makes one appreciate the job Mark Nori did at Stow.

By that rationale Jim Tressel should have never been hired at Ohio State. If you are a good coach I think that translates whether you at Fairless or Stow. You at the mercy, to a degree, to the available talent you have to work. The next year or two at Stow will see a decline in overall talent in that the cycle goes down. We’ll see what happens in the long run. It really makes one appreciate the job Mark Nori did at Stow.
Perhaps I didn't make my point clear enough regarding my comment. Tressel won FOUR National Championships at YSU and earned the promotion to Ohio State. In addtion, he coached at the higher collegiate level as an assistant. The HC at Fairless had one good year and got blown out at home vs. Poland in the playoffs. He will be over his head at Stow due to his youth, inexperience and possible inability to assemble a great staff. Brings up another point, these so called experts hiring do not take into account the importance of assembling a competent coaching staff. Good luck to whomever gets the position.

None of you have named one of the finalist, and you’ll be surprised. Financial reasons took one of the candidates out awhile ago.

Perhaps I didn't make my point clear enough regarding my comment. Tressel won FOUR National Championships at YSU and earned the promotion to Ohio State. In addtion, he coached at the higher collegiate level as an assistant. The HC at Fairless had one good year and got blown out at home vs. Poland in the playoffs. He will be over his head at Stow due to his youth, inexperience and possible inability to assemble a great staff. Brings up another point, these so called experts hiring do not take into account the importance of assembling a competent coaching staff. Good luck to whomever gets the position.
Maybe McVay should have never been hired by the Rams. Maybe Taylor should have never been hired by the Bengals. Maybe Andy Reid should have never been hired by the Eagles. Though Kyle Shanahan has had more experience before his first NFL head coaching job, he was still very young. That is all four head coaches in the conference championship games.

It sounds like the Fairless coach might not be heading there anyway…but by no means does that make him in over his head for whatever lies ahead for him.

Sometimes it’s better to be a step ahead.

Maybe McVay should have never been hired by the Rams. Maybe Taylor should have never been hired by the Bengals. Maybe Andy Reid should have never been hired by the Eagles. Though Kyle Shanahan has had more experience before his first NFL head coaching job, he was still very young. That is all four head coaches in the conference championship games.

It sounds like the Fairless coach might not be heading there anyway…but by no means does that make him in over his head for whatever lies ahead for him.

Sometimes it’s better to be a step ahead.
Not gotto

Not Gotto nor will it be Pete Thompson. As mentioned on here by several, Fairless and Southeast coaches emerged as finalists along with another coach mentioned on here, a former OC at Stow. Unfortunately, Union contracts and a potential teaching position have now complicated things. Should be interesting.

Stow would be getting a high quality candidate in Patrick Youel. He completely turned around the Southeast program and has a solid history at multiple stops attracting and keeping good staff. All the staff at southeast loved him and he had many people in the building working for him.

Sounds like Poder could be the favorite based on some of these comments then? What I can say is that I worked within the Stow program when Poder was there which is why I’ve heard of his interest to eventually return. He is a great offensive mind (better than Stow’s most recent staff) but can be considered an oddball personality wise. He is familiar with the Stow program, and was involved with the youth program and mentoring youth coaches when he was in stow. He also has experience now at this level from coaching at Brecksville, which would alleviate a lot of the concerns expressed here about other coaches. I don’t know him too well, but I’ve said what I do know, and some of those qualities would certainly be positives for the program.

Sounds like Poder could be the favorite based on some of these comments then? What I can say is that I worked within the Stow program when Poder was there which is why I’ve heard of his interest to eventually return. He is a great offensive mind (better than Stow’s most recent staff) but can be considered an oddball personality wise. He is familiar with the Stow program, and was involved with the youth program and mentoring youth coaches when he was in stow. He also has experience now at this level from coaching at Brecksville, which would alleviate a lot of the concerns expressed here about other coaches. I don’t know him too well, but I’ve said what I do know, and some of those qualities would certainly be positives for the program.
It won’t be Poder; that’s all I do know.

It won't be gotto
So we know it won’t be two front runners, and it doesn’t seem like it will be Thompson from Streetsboro.

I’m going to be very interested to hear about the teaching position and Union issues, because I did hear rumblings that could become an issue. I’m wondering if they cannot offer a position if they would go back and offer a candidate who does not need to be in the building.

This isn’t a good look. Stow had months notice that coach Philips would be leaving - why weren’t they teaching out to prospective coaches before the new year? This was not a situation where the Bulldogs were caught off guard - they knew their coach was leaving, but they procrastinated.

It's not a good look if the rumors are correct as it indicates there are loose lips in the process.

I don't know anything about Youel. He may be a great coach, however, his record at Southeast doesn't overwhelm me.

This isn’t a good look. Stow had months notice that coach Philips would be leaving - why weren’t they teaching out to prospective coaches before the new year? This was not a situation where the Bulldogs were caught off guard - they knew their coach was leaving, but they procrastinated.
I am confident in saying they had very specific target in mind. My best guess is they are having trouble coming up with the financial part of the equation, likely trapped by the 10 year clause in the union contract.

The board and union can always come to an agreement to get past the 10 year contract issue through the union, when there’s a will there’s a way

The board and union can always come to an agreement to get past the 10 year contract issue through the union, when there’s a will there’s a way
Requires a MOU agreement with the union. From conversations I’ve had with many educators I would assume the large majority of Stows almost 300 teachers would be pretty upset that they would do this for a football coach but not regular teachers.

Requires a MOU agreement with the union. From conversations I’ve had with many educators I would assume the large majority of Stows almost 300 teachers would be pretty upset that they would do this for a football coach but not regular teachers.
Very true, this also presents potentially other issues between the board and union. Usually , these things get hashed out unless someone is asking for the moon

Y
Very true, this also presents potentially other issues between the board and union. Usually , these things get hashed out unless someone is asking for the moon
Yup. I think usually it ends up requiring a booster club to step up and provide an additional stipend. It’s been done at schools where coaches have to take a pay cut to move to due to experience.
Personally I don’t like the 10 year clause. It’s in most labor contracts. It limits the pool of great teachers for open positions and it severely limits teacher mobility.

From what I’m hearing, it has more to do with the job the old coach had that they were trying to slide the new coach into. It was a pretty desirable gig that a few teachers wanted. That could be the hang up here, if the union wins that battle and can slide a current member in, that will severely complicate the situation.

Y

Yup. I think usually it ends up requiring a booster club to step up and provide an additional stipend. It’s been done at schools where coaches have to take a pay cut to move to due to experience.
Personally I don’t like the 10 year clause. It’s in most labor contracts. It limits the pool of great teachers for open positions and it severely limits teacher mobility.
Problem with that is the booster club money doesn’t contribute towards a pension, this could be a problem if it’s a coach with many years of tenure

From what I’m hearing, it has more to do with the job the old coach had that they were trying to slide the new coach into. It was a pretty desirable gig that a few teachers wanted. That could be the hang up here, if the union wins that battle and can slide a current member in, that will severely complicate the situation.
It sounds like the administration at Stow has really mismanaged this process. Will probably lead to them not getting the best candidate which affects the experiences of literally hundreds of students and thousands in their community. These folks make too much money to botch simple processes like “hiring” ?

It sounds like the administration at Stow has really mismanaged this process. Will probably lead to them not getting the best candidate which affects the experiences of literally hundreds of students and thousands in their community. These folks make too much money to botch simple processes like “hiring” ?
Who is the coach

Problem with that is the booster club money doesn’t contribute towards a pension, this could be a problem if it’s a coach with many years of tenure
A bigger problem is it is illegal to do so (unless the rules have recently changed) … when I was an AD a few years ago it was illegal for anyone other than the school district to directly pay a coach for coaching … I have heard that some places have paid coaches for other things … but even that is a vey slippery slope … I don’t remember if this an OHSAA rule or a State of Ohio rule /law… but it was a rule/law … not just a school policy.

A bigger problem is it is illegal to do so (unless the rules have recently changed) … when I was an AD a few years ago it was illegal for anyone other than the school district to directly pay a coach for coaching … I have heard that some places have paid coaches for other things … but even that is a vey slippery slope … I don’t remember if this an OHSAA rule or a State of Ohio rule /law… but it was a rule/law … not just a school policy.
It is illegal, but has been going on for years. I’m sure it’s just done at a few school, but I do know of one that it happened at. Also IRS would find it interesting

It is illegal, but has been going on for years. I’m sure it’s just done at a few school, but I do know of one that it happened at. Also IRS would find it interesting
I can't see a public school trying to do this, especially like Stow. They might be botching this hire but they're not that stupid to do something illegal.