80s-90s Fostoria Redmen

I remember watching them against an excellent Lake team in the D-2 State Title Game back in the early 90s. What I remember is yes, the QB Kidwell was tall and lanky and they might have also had the kid that went to OSU (Damon Moore?), but the best player on the field was their stout Noseguard/Fullback that blew everything up on both sides of the ball - Breitegam. I still recall a play where Lake's Matt Christopher (who also went to OSU and went about 6'2 230 lbs) took a toss sweep and the hit Breitegam put on him changed the complexion of the game. I thought Lake was going to roll but found out otherwise. I might have mangled some of the kids names but I'm sure someone can help me out.
In that game Moore started at tailback....I thought he was a sophomore and not a Freshman. They had a tailback by the name of Doogs who was their first team back but he got injured in one of the playoff games. We picked off Kidwell 4 times in that game, part of the reason why in their previous playoff games they thru the ball way more then they ran, so we were way more concerned about them throwing the ball. They really didn't have a tough playoff game till the Championship game...where Lake had to play a tough Louisville team, then a very good Beechcroft team, to lead to the Steubenville game. Lake had been knocked out of the playoffs the last two times by Steubenville. Jeff has said that he should have adjusted quicker to their run game, but they were starting a sophomore at tailback. There was not a lot of video that Lake had on him. He was pretty good...lol. Breitigam won the game for them, first guy our line could not handle all year. Both teams were 13-0 going into that game...was 60 some degrees and Paul Brown was packed. They say their was like 17,000 for that game....I say the crowd was a lot larger.

I also think Lake's schedule didn't help. Starting with week 9 Lake beat an undefeated Jackson team 22 to 6 to win our first Federal League title, week 10 beat Toledo City League Co-Champs Toledo St. Johns 14 to 7, week 11 beat a 9 and 1 Louisville 13 -0, week 12 beat Beechcroft 25 to 11...who had won the Columbus City League and had won their first ever playoff game the week before, then week 13 beat a 12 and 1 Steubenville for the first time ever 18 to 7.

Last edited:
Man what a great thread.

We played agianst Fostoria when I was in HS. Lost a heartbreaker. We almost did not get out of town as our bus was pelted with all kinds of things as we left town. I'll never forget what appeared to be a 75 year old man screaming "I thought you all knew how to play football?" as he chucked a beer can at us. Kidwell was QB and DE. Unreal right? If ever at Fostoria look at his All-State picture. I knew he was redshirted but you would guess by perhaps 10 years as he looked like a 28 year old who'd knocked up a couple barmaids. Some great names mentioned in this thread, McBeth, Ferguson, Freierson, Doogs Breitigam, Moore, Newsome, Echleberry, Hyde...

Keep in mind Fostoria's tradition goes WAAAY back. They had National Title type caliber teams in the 20's and 30's. As others mentioned, between St. Wendelin and Fostoria HS they were LOADED. Not just talented kids, but tough arse SOB's. Fostoria belonged next to Massillon or in Texas. It was that type of town. Tough was bred into them. Being a football player in Fostoria meant something to everyone.

Roughly 10 years ago I had to drive through Fostoria often and it looked like a bomb went off. All of the plants closed and they lost half their population. Incredibly sad for such a great and proud small town.

"I knew he was redshirted but you would guess by perhaps 10 years as he looked like a 28 year old who'd knocked up a couple barmaids."
DNA testing was still a ways off in terms of reliability but I think you might be on to something.

Roughly 10 years ago I had to drive through Fostoria often and it looked like a bomb went off.
The guy who broke me into coaching and I often attended the Fostoria All-Star game since we might have had kids in the game, knew many of the kids/coaches etc. We would see kids as we traveled into town that looked like they had a rough side and because we were in the car we would say "Yeah, but can they whip us?" I presume they didn't hear us. The years pass by and after we exited the stadium a few years later we were driving through downtown when we saw a kid sitting on a sidewalk bench. This guy was JACKED and had leather arm bands with metal studs all over them. We are both good sized guys but he got our attention. My friend looked at me and said "Yeah, but can he whip us?", to which I said "More than likely."

Yes, I was past my expiration date where badness was concerned by then, but I'm pretty sure there was never a day when things would have worked out well for me with this guy.

Last edited:
"I also think Lake's schedule didn't help. Starting with week 9 Lake beat an undefeated Jackson team 22 to 6 to win our first Federal League title, week 10 beat Toledo City League Co-Champs Toledo St. Johns 14 to 7, week 11 beat a 9 and 1 Louisville 13 -0, week 12 beat Beechcroft 25 to 11...who had won the Columbus City League and had won their first ever playoff game the week before, then week 13 beat a 12 and 1 Steubenville for the first time ever 18 to 7."

Every so often I've entertained the notion that the winner of the Federal League or MAC should be named the de facto state champs and give everyone else a shot. The path you traveled just to get to Fostoria is amazing. My bones ached just reading it.

As someone who frequents Fostoria often to visit the train park there (i love my trains) and yes Fostoria is still stinging from job losses,population loss and the closure of st wendelin was probably the apex of fostorias problems...and yes in 1970, over 16000 people called fostoria home and while they lost quite a bit of residents over three decades they had 13150 residents in 2020 with the biggest population loss happening between 1994 and 2006 that was a staggering 4.8 loss in 1990 to a 7.8 loss in 2005. much to anybodys chagrin, the population loss has eased at 1 percent last year. Believe it or not, new jobs have showed up in Fostoria with nox corp, treves, guardian glass, roppe rubber expanded into the old spark plug plant, inland tarp and liner, mennel milling expansion, the ethanol plant, and old forts arm and hammer locating a second plant here. THere are still some good places to eat and there is a nice little mom and pop deli around the corner from the platform called whistlestop deli plus some other small business have showed up and expanded. But there is a lot of work to be done and yes Fostoria has a long way to go. Downtown may look like not much is happening but there are somes of life still. And as for the schools and athletics, yep they are down but they will be back sooner or later...The new intermediate and primary k-6 school has over 1000 students and the new 7-12 ms/hs had around 700 combined students. As sad as it may sound, st wendelin school is most likely never coming back as there is more interest in the catholic k-8 in findlay,,and speaking of findlay, enrolllment seems to be up at Van buren, Findlay, LIberty benton, arcadia and elmwood however findlay schools are experiencing some issues with their school board as of present so they may lose students to mentioned schools. Going the other way, enrollment is up at Carey, hopewell loudon, new riegel, mohawk and lakota where some fostoria students probably transfer too, over at tiffin calvert, they seem to be doing ok in athletics but im not sure what enrollment figures are like there, Tiffin seems to be on the upswing schools and businesses both, so thats probably why both calvert and columbian are doing alright. I too have always admired fostoria as it wasnt the most glamorous town and it showed in the grit of the kids like when my brother wrestled in 8th grade and the grapplers came from behind in the heavier weight classes to pull off the victory. The meet was in the old Emerson junior high gym and that place was old lol. my brothers eighth grade football team sent their b team to fostoria and got blasted 56-0 because the first stringers played..lol..tHat was back around 1990-91 ish

Corey Ekelberry played on the offensive line as a sophomore for fostoria in 1996 and was a monster on the discuss ring. I participated in track for bellevue in track in 1996 and 1997 and never seen anyway throw a discuss as far as Corey Eckelberry. that kid was stronger than a freaking ox and beat our top thrower Russ kuhns in an ancipated regional matchup. i think he went head to head in shot put with Vandalia BUtlers JImmy Pacifico in 1998. its too bad that Corey was one of the only decent players on bad fostoria teams in 97 and 98

Ive heard some stories about the Mcbeths and how they were dirty players, they liked to intimidate people, and start fights on the field and on the basketball court

Tiffin had some stud teams from 95-99, starting with Jeremy Newland and his brother Nick...Quarterbacks in kane runion, and seth watson, nate perry, and phil dewald. not to mention beau carmon from 1997-2000. derik rumschlag was another one.

Corey Ekelberry played on the offensive line as a sophomore for fostoria in 1996 and was a monster on the discuss ring. I participated in track for bellevue in track in 1996 and 1997 and never seen anyway throw a discuss as far as Corey Eckelberry. that kid was stronger than a freaking ox and beat our top thrower Russ kuhns in an ancipated regional matchup. i think he went head to head in shot put with Vandalia BUtlers JImmy Pacifico in 1998. its too bad that Corey was one of the only decent players on bad fostoria teams in 97 and 98
Eckleberry was a man amongst boys. Played at BG as well if I recall right? He was coaching at Findlay under Ritzler. Unsure if he is still helping out?

Ive heard some stories about the Mcbeths and how they were dirty players, they liked to intimidate people, and start fights on the field and on the basketball court
Fo-town bred that into them kids. They had an edge to them that does not really exist the same today. They believed that they were going to kick your butt before they ever walked onto the field. Then they did it, and let you know it.

Again, great thread.

The interesting thing about that time was who played in the D 2 championship games. 1989 was Benedictine vs Fostoria, in 1990 St Marys vs Col Desales...but St Marys beat Fostoria in the semis, in 1991 Lake vs Fostoria, in 1992 St Marys vs Fostoria, in 1993 Lake vs St Marys, in 1994 Chardon vs Rayland Buckeye...where that is interesting Lake beat Chardon in the semis in 1993 and lost to Buckeye in first round of the playoffs in 1994

The interesting thing about that time was who played in the D 2 championship games. 1989 was Benedictine vs Fostoria, in 1990 St Marys vs Col Desales...but St Marys beat Fostoria in the semis, in 1991 Lake vs Fostoria, in 1992 St Marys vs Fostoria, in 1993 Lake vs St Marys, in 1994 Chardon vs Rayland Buckeye...where that is interesting Lake beat Chardon in the semis in 1993 and lost to Buckeye in first round of the playoffs in 1994
IIRC, Buckeye had consolidated within the couple years prior to ‘94. There used to be a (Brilliant) Buckeye North and (Tiltonsville) Buckeye South and possibly even a (Adena) Buckeye West. 1 of my HS teachers graduated from Adena (not to be confused w/ Adena HS in the Chillicothe area).

IIRC, Buckeye had consolidated within the couple years prior to ‘94. There used to be a (Brilliant) Buckeye North and (Tiltonsville) Buckeye South and possibly even a (Adena) Buckeye West. 1 of my HS teachers graduated from Adena (not to be confused w/ Adena HS in the Chillicothe area).
Man, I saw Buckeye Local play Tiffin Calvert this year and they were just horrendous.

2 of my uncles taught at Buckeye North...down in God's Country! Lake should have beaten Rayland....two dropped passes and one dropped pick 6 did us in

Slight correction: Fostoria played Cleveland St. Joe, not Benedictine

Slight correction: Fostoria played Cleveland St. Joe, not Benedictine
Oops..lol. What I find amazing is how the schools have moved around in divisions. Start with Rayland..they are D 5, Cleveland St Joe is D 4, Fostoria is D 5, St Marys is D 3, Lake is still D 2...a medium to small D 2 now with all the changes....In 1991 we were a large D 2...10 boys from being D 1

That's right, and even a Buckeye Trail down that way! Was that when Buckeye Local had Billy West at RB, who went on to play for Pitt?

Fostoria certainly had a good run in the 80s and early/mid 90s...

I think they beat Harding in 92-93 pretty convincingly. They had 2 relatively down for their standards years in 94-95 and played Boardman both of those seasons, losing 34-6 in Boardman in 94 and 31-18 at home in 95.

DJ Ogilvie actually got his coaching start out of college there and I believe did 1 or 2 seasons there in 92-93 prior to coming back to the Youngstown area when he joined his HS coach Bill Bohren at Salem in 1994.

And it was some of that NW OH experience which led to Dan Pallante making him his DC at Ross in 1997 when he went there from Boardman, which was a pretty controversial move at the time. So certainly NW OH football had a big legacy in the 80s and 90s.

Sandusky and Toledo St Francis had strong teams in those days as well.

With few exceptions, mainly the rise of TCC, the 90s were the last gasps of Youngstown/Canton/NW OH schools really being among the focal points of D1 football. The Columbus area with population growth from many of the above listed areas began cementing itself as the new power to take on the Cleveland and Cincinnati parochials come the new millenium.

Fostoria certainly had a good run in the 80s and early/mid 90s...

I think they beat Harding in 92-93 pretty convincingly. They had 2 relatively down for their standards years in 94-95 and played Boardman both of those seasons, losing 34-6 in Boardman in 94 and 31-18 at home in 95.

DJ Ogilvie actually got his coaching start out of college there and I believe did 1 or 2 seasons there in 92-93 prior to coming back to the Youngstown area when he joined his HS coach Bill Bohren at Salem in 1994.

And it was some of that NW OH experience which led to Dan Pallante making him his DC at Ross in 1997 when he went there from Boardman, which was a pretty controversial move at the time. So certainly NW OH football had a big legacy in the 80s and 90s.

Sandusky and Toledo St Francis had strong teams in those days as well.

With few exceptions, mainly the rise of TCC, the 90s were the last gasps of Youngstown/Canton/NW OH schools really being among the focal points of D1 football. The Columbus area with population growth from many of the above listed areas began cementing itself as the new power to take on the Cleveland and Cincinnati parochials come the new millenium.
Boardman ran the wing-T, no? As did St Mary's Memorial in early 90s. Seemed to be Fotown's kryptonite

Boardman ran the wing-T, no? As did St Mary's Memorial in early 90s. Seemed to be Fotown's kryptonite

Yep, Boardman was almost exclusively wing T under Bohren and Pallante except when they had the Ryan brothers at QB, when they still kept the wing T as their base offense but had more of a single back/pro formation type set in 89 but especially 90 for John and then 96 a little bit for Jeff. But Pallante was probably even more faithful to the wing T than Bohren was and once he left Boardman after a 3-7 96 season to take the job at Fremont Ross, Garry Smith (well, I'll be kind and say his staff, Garry had minimal football coaching experience beyond some freshmen and JV ball at Mooney and was coaching softball at Boardman I believe prior to this) ran what would be considered more of a multiple set/pro type offense.

Here are the 94 and 95 games with Boardman and Fostoria... #44 for the Spartans is DJ Durkin (yep, that Durkin).

Yep, Boardman was almost exclusively wing T under Bohren and Pallante except when they had the Ryan brothers at QB, when they still kept the wing T as their base offense but had more of a single back/pro formation type set in 89 but especially 90 for John and then 96 a little bit for Jeff. But Pallante was probably even more faithful to the wing T than Bohren was and once he left Boardman after a 3-7 96 season to take the job at Fremont Ross, Garry Smith (well, I'll be kind and say his staff, Garry had minimal football coaching experience beyond some freshmen and JV ball at Mooney and was coaching softball at Boardman I believe prior to this) ran what would be considered more of a multiple set/pro type offense.

Here are the 94 and 95 games with Boardman and Fostoria... #44 for the Spartans is DJ Durkin (yep, that Durkin).

I'm a Ross alum, and remember Pallante well. IMHO, wing-T was not a good fit at Ross

I'm a Ross alum, and remember Pallante well. IMHO, wing-T was not a good fit at Ross

I just wonder if his sort of lack of flexibility was his downfall or at least his limiting factor...I don't think he ever lasted more than 4 seasons at any one place. 4 at Boardman, 2 at Ross, 3 at Canon-Mac, 4 at Marlington, back to Baldwin near Pittsburgh for 3, then ended up down in Florida where he's been since except when he was at Maryland as a TE coach and an analyst I think under Durkin.

You can look back at the articles from when he got the Ross job and it was mostly about unpopular staff shake-ups and bringing the wing-T to town. Even had a 10-0 first year but still found a way to wear his welcome out pretty fast. He was a finalist for the Massillon job I think after that 97 season and openly talked about maybe going there, so maybe some of the early successes got to him?

Good coach but didn't always seem to be the most popular at his various stops. Probably made a mistake leaving Boardman to be honest, he had some great teams he left behind from 97-01.

I've pondered that for a long time and after all the years I'm still not certain. When I first broke into coaching I was struck by how many "alpha males" there were as head coaches that played petty mind games with the other coaches as if they were going to gain some advantage. I'm sure that it still goes on but I think that their efforts could be better focused elsewhere.

I presumed that there wasn't a lot of love between Kidwell and Radeloff but why would you want to get rid of someone you own? It didn't make much sense to me for Kidwell to make that comment since I believe that you shouldn't give your opponents a reason to want to beat you beyond your performance, but I'm also pretty certain that he had a reason for commenting beyond taking shots. I don't know if he was just trying to get into Rex's head or what.

If you have an explanation I'd love to hear it. I also wonder if the Ross job carries the pressure nowadays that it did back then.
I think the pressure has waned a bit Some apathy from fanbase has set in, unless a Woodson gets honored, Ha! And, Coach Long seems to have wiggle room after 6 years with losing record. For the record, I have no issues with Long; I'm a realist

As far as the 2 Head Coaches, I thought, but could be wrong, Kidwell showed interest in Ross job when the late Pete Moore resigned. Maybe he was showing everyone wrong choice with Radeloff. But, also don't put it past Kidwell ruffling some Redmen feathers. Also, I agree with alpha male description; Kidwell definitely fit that bill

I think the pressure has waned a bit Some apathy from fanbase has set in, unless a Woodson gets honored, Ha! And, Coach Long seems to have wiggle room after 6 years with losing record. For the record, I have no issues with Long; I'm a realist

As far as the 2 Head Coaches, I thought, but could be wrong, Kidwell showed interest in Ross job when the late Pete Moore resigned. Maybe he was showing everyone wrong choice with Radeloff. But, also don't put it past Kidwell ruffling some Redmen feathers. Also, I agree with alpha male description; Kidwell definitely fit that bill
I've wondered whether Kidwell might have once wanted the Ross job. He's also lived in Fremont for a while. I recently learned that Dixie Kidwell passed away, articles that I have read sure indicate how big a part of the program she was.

I've wondered whether Kidwell might have once wanted the Ross job. He's also lived in Fremont for a while. I recently learned that Dixie Kidwell passed away, articles that I have read sure indicate how big a part of the program she was.
I did hear of her passing; may she rest in peace. Nicknamed Big Mom.

At the very least, elder Kidwell was Ross Head Coach for a night in 2004 when son served 1 game suspension