Northwest Ohio Realignment

If you go back about 6 months and 100 pages I actually suggested a GMC/NWOAL merger with a big/small school division and got flamed pretty hard for it. I didn't think it was an actual possibility but the hypotheticals are fun to consider if nothing else.
I think I said an idea that would have a big and small school NWOAL and have the GMC still exist awhile back on this thread

I think I said an idea that would have a big and small school NWOAL and have the GMC still exist awhile back on this thread

I've brought up a few times that if Napoleon ever wanted out of the NLL and Defiance decided better travel was attractive, the NWOAL could always add those 2 and split 5/5

Napoleon
Defiance
Wauseon
Bryan
Archbold- not the 5th biggest, but would not only compete but win consistently

Liberty Center
Patrick Henry
Swanton
Evergreen
Delta

I'd figure most of the week 6-10 byes would be crossovers out of convenience, then I wouldn't have mandatory crossovers week 4 and 5....again realizing most would play them anyway.

I've brought up a few times that if Napoleon ever wanted out of the NLL and Defiance decided better travel was attractive, the NWOAL could always add those 2 and split 5/5

Napoleon
Defiance
Wauseon
Bryan
Archbold- not the 5th biggest, but would not only compete but win consistently

Liberty Center
Patrick Henry
Swanton
Evergreen
Delta

I'd figure most of the week 6-10 byes would be crossovers out of convenience, then I wouldn't have mandatory crossovers week 4 and 5....again realizing most would play them anyway.
Not too bad of an idea

Yeah...I guess I just look at it as if you're playing 4 games against your division and 3 games against the other, why wouldn't it just be a 10 team conference? You're not even avoiding the other teams at that point.
I'd probably take it a little further than that

Big
Archbold
Bowling Green
Bryan
Defiance
Napoleon
Wauseon

Small
Delta
Evergreen
Liberty Center
Montpelier
Patrick Henry
Swanton

That would leave 6 and 6

I'd probably take it a little further than that

Big
Archbold
Bowling Green
Bryan
Defiance
Napoleon
Wauseon

Small
Delta
Evergreen
Liberty Center
Montpelier
Patrick Henry
Swanton

That would leave 6 and 6
I’d say let BG stay in the NLL. Let Maumee and Rossford back in it. Montpelier stays wherever they’re at. Take Otsego and Eastwood for upper and Lake Northwood and Ottawa Hills for smaller. Fostoria to BVC, Genoa and Oak Harbor to SBC. Napoleon and Defiance staying put could be replaced by Maumee and Rossford as well

Lake is actually bigger than Archbold but not as competitive across the board

Yeah...I guess I just look at it as if you're playing 4 games against your division and 3 games against the other, why wouldn't it just be a 10 team conference? You're not even avoiding the other teams at that point.

Guarantee if it ever happened, the Swantons and Evergreens wouldn't be on board with 3 crossovers. No way they'd consistently play Napoleon or Defiance.

I’d say let BG stay in the NLL. Let Maumee and Rossford back in it. Montpelier stays wherever they’re at. Take Otsego and Eastwood for upper and Lake Northwood and Ottawa Hills for smaller. Fostoria to BVC, Genoa and Oak Harbor to SBC. Napoleon and Defiance staying put could be replaced by Maumee and Rossford as well

Archbold enrollment numbers has decreased significantly dropping from D5 to D6 in football. Right now, delta, evergreen, & Swanton have bigger enrollment or identical enrollment numbers with archbold.

Archbold: 146 Boys - 146 Girls
Delta: 136 boys - 134 girls
Evergreen: 154 boys - 150 girls (surprising) looks like they’re growing significantly
swanton: 176 boys - 155 girls

Im curious is to why archbold’s growth as a city and school district is declining pretty significantly

Oak Harbor did SBC for 35 years. Playoff structure is such SBC isn't a necessity anymore. Why cross the Edison Bridge when you don't have to, especially this time of year?

Oak Harbor did SBC for 35 years. Playoff structure is such SBC isn't a necessity anymore. Why cross the Edison Bridge when you don't have to, especially this time of year?
Lake/Eastwood/Rossford/Genoa/Oak Harbor/Otsego is about perfect in terms of school size/travel/demographics.

Still not sure why Elmwood wanted out so badly - maybe worried about something that isn't ever really going to happen.

Lake/Eastwood/Rossford/Genoa/Oak Harbor/Otsego is about perfect in terms of school size/travel/demographics.

Still not sure why Elmwood wanted out so badly - maybe worried about something that isn't ever really going to happen.
basically old SLL OH left due to going 9-1/10-0, but kept missing Playoffs. Same with Edison when in Firelands Conference

Not sure either why Elmwood wants to leave right now. Maybe it’s cause they don’t really compete in football other than this year but they do compete in every other sport.

Not sure either why Elmwood wants to leave right now. Maybe it’s cause they don’t really compete in football other than this year but they do compete in every other sport.
This is 100% speculation, but could it be that Elmwood folks feel that they have more in common with Findlay area small schools as opposed to Toledo area small schools?

The Elmwood move still doesn't make any sense to me. I don't see why they wanted out of the NBC, and I don't think their addition makes the BVC any more stable - if anything it forces the hand of teams like Riverdale, Arcadia, and maybe more once they become the bottom of the league.

Good question I honestly think it just has to do with the bigger schools getting bigger
Isn't Elmwood growing too though? Weren't they just talking about expanding their fairly new building 2 years ago because they're outgrowing it? That makes the BVC move make even less sense if it's the case

Isn't Elmwood growing too though? Weren't they just talking about expanding their fairly new building 2 years ago because they're outgrowing it? That makes the BVC move make even less sense if it's the case
Current NBC enrollments...

Eastwood - 362
Elmwood - 279
Fostoria - 398
Genoa - 341
Lake - 361
Otsego - 358
Rossford - 432
Woodmore - 250

Current NBC enrollments...

Eastwood - 362
Elmwood - 279
Fostoria - 398
Genoa - 341
Lake - 361
Otsego - 358
Rossford - 432
Woodmore - 250

Really puts into perspective what the NBC just did by adding Maumee at 712 students, with classes in the lower ranks making it seem like the 25 year enrollment cycle that has always occurred in Maumee is going to hit again around 2030 and they'll be back up around 850-900 students in their school. Tried saying this way earlier in the thread, but Maumee is one of the most cyclically locked communities in the entire state...with stagnant property values, there is no fiscal incentive for parents of graduates to move out and with no area to develop build, you can't recharge populations by simply building more homes, meaning a lot of the parents of the students in the early 2000s are still around or just now starting to downsize move out as they hit their upper 60s-low 70s and there is no room for young, growing families to move in.

This same thing happened in the 70s to 90s, when the school was down to about 800 in the 70s, up above 1000 in the 80s, then dipped in the early 90s once again to around 800. Not saying the increased enrollment will bring good athletes with it...but you have a lot better odds when you're getting 3 times as many kids as the competition in the door. As a note, Maumee has 728 kids in their K-3 buildings (Fort Miami and Fairfield), with an additional 121 Maumee residents enrolled in K-3 at St. Pats and St. Joes (right about half of those kids will end up at Maumee for middle and high school given past trends) and apparently over 100 parents holding kids out of kindergarten this year due to the risk of Covid-remote teaching. That doesn't even count the fact that the average age of a homeowner in Maumee right now is the highest it has been in 48 years (per the Mayor's Report) and you're looking at a recipe for A LOT of reverting to the mean in short order.

From 1986-2009, Maumee High School had no individual class with fewer than 181 students, last year EVERY class in the current high school was, but this year the freshman class is at almost 200 from what I've been told...what you're looking at is all of the families who built in the final development push (space between Key and Cass by Fairfield) in the late 80's and early 90's downsizing or dying off in the next few years, with lots of younger families with children moving in. I'd imagine that trend for the mid-80s to the late 00s is going to be back at Maumee starting here by the end of this decade.

It's akin to the NLL schools adding Whitmer, which many on here have said isn't going to work out well.

Last edited:
I haven’t heard that but if that is the case then going to BVC makes no sense

Just looked at Elmwoods enrollment numbers and it looks like after their 7th grade there is a drop off in numbers. One class was as low as 63 total students and others that didn’t even get to 80 students.

I wish the SBC didn’t have all the divisions. Have 8 schools in the River be a league or at least 8 football schools and pick 8 schools from the Bay and Lake to be a league and be done with it. The couple of schools left out would have to find new homes.

What would happen if say Huron or Edison’s enrollment got smaller then Willards? Would Huron or Edison swap with Willard? I’m sure that would go over well.

Really puts into perspective what the NBC just did by adding Maumee at 712 students, with classes in the lower ranks making it seem like the 25 year enrollment cycle that has always occurred in Maumee is going to hit again around 2030 and they'll be back up around 850-900 students in their school. Tried saying this way earlier in the thread, but Maumee is one of the most cyclically locked communities in the entire state...with stagnant property values, there is no fiscal incentive for parents of graduates to move out and with no area to develop build, you can't recharge populations by simply building more homes, meaning a lot of the parents of the students in the early 2000s are still around or just now starting to downsize move out as they hit their upper 60s-low 70s and there is no room for young, growing families to move in.

This same thing happened in the 70s to 90s, when the school was down to about 800 in the 70s, up above 1000 in the 80s, then dipped in the early 90s once again to around 800. Not saying the increased enrollment will bring good athletes with it...but you have a lot better odds when you're getting 3 times as many kids as the competition in the door. As a note, Maumee has 728 kids in their K-3 buildings (Fort Miami and Fairfield), with an additional 121 Maumee residents enrolled in K-3 at St. Pats and St. Joes (right about half of those kids will end up at Maumee for middle and high school given past trends) and apparently over 100 parents holding kids out of kindergarten this year due to the risk of Covid-remote teaching. That doesn't even count the fact that the average age of a homeowner in Maumee right now is the highest it has been in 48 years (per the Mayor's Report) and you're looking at a recipe for A LOT of reverting to the mean in short order.

From 1986-2009, Maumee High School had no individual class with fewer than 181 students, last year EVERY class in the current high school was, but this year the freshman class is at almost 200 from what I've been told...what you're looking at is all of the families who built in the final development push (space between Key and Cass by Fairfield) in the late 80's and early 90's downsizing or dying off in the next few years, with lots of younger families with children moving in. I'd imagine that trend for the mid-80s to the late 00s is going to be back at Maumee starting here by the end of this decade.

It's akin to the NLL schools adding Whitmer, which many on here have said isn't going to work out well.
Numbers are one thing. But what about program quality? By numbers, Fostoria should be rocking the NBC. They have the second highest enrollment. But we all know they are not. Maumee will have the highest enrollment in the NBC. But that won't be the whole story. Competition-wise, Maumee will fit in quite nicely. Eastwood, which is kind of like a MAC school in my opinion, will continue to punch above their weight class. Socio-economics goes a long way in these decisions too. So many things go into this: program quality, enrollment, socio-economics, rural vs urban vs suburban. The NBC will be a fun conference to watch of the next few years.

Numbers are one thing. But what about program quality? By numbers, Fostoria should be rocking the NBC. They have the second highest enrollment. But we all know they are not. Maumee will have the highest enrollment in the NBC. But that won't be the whole story. Competition-wise, Maumee will fit in quite nicely. Eastwood, which is kind of like a MAC school in my opinion, will continue to punch above their weight class. Socio-economics goes a long way in these decisions too. So many things go into this: program quality, enrollment, socio-economics, rural vs urban vs suburban. The NBC will be a fun conference to watch of the next few years.
Because they have won so many state championships?