2021-2022 Elder Basketball

I'll be interested to see the Moeller -Turpin result. Obviously the league games are always going to mean more. Turpin was coming off a tough close loss to Walnut Hills, and Elder coming off the big win against Moeller, so not a surprising result.
LS also beat Turpin by 20 a few weeks ago

That was the biggest shock of the season. Lasalle was crushed by Winton Woods who is terrible last night.
If Keller is out again, I could see this game being close. Elder was a lot better last yr, but went to OT 2x w/ LS. Being on the road at LS is not easy.

Kirch threw down a dunk and had a nice rejection from the highlights I saw. It didn't seem to hold him back too much. He plays with a swagger that helps this team.

That’s unacceptable from LS. How the hell coukd you not know a kid transferring in already graduated? This is such a horrible misstep, I have to believe it’s based out of negligence and not the motive to cheat.

That’s unacceptable from LS. How the hell coukd you not know a kid transferring in already graduated? This is such a horrible misstep, I have to believe it’s based out of negligence and not the motive to cheat.
Like I said above some schools have good leadership and some just have bad leadership. When you hire an AD who had known issues at his previous job it tells me the leadership is poor all the way to the very top.

Last edited:
I think last year's team was better, but I disagree with Pboy's notion that Kramer isn't elite. He's clearly one of the best coaches in the state. I just disagree with his stall ball tactics since his teams are generally more talented than everyone they play.
You guys ever think that many of your thoughts on Moeller are based on your games watching them play other GCL teams? This idea that Moeller traditionally plays stall ball doesn't make sense to me. I've watched them play more non-GCL games than GCL games, and what I've seen is a team that will get out there and run all over you if they feel there is a an advantage to that with their talent. On the other hand, league games, no matter the league (not just the GCL), tend to bring a different type of play regardless of the teams and talent. Maybe he's playing that style due to the type of game he knows the GCL will bring.

Call Kremer and elite coach or not, a great coach adapts to the situation at hand, which in my opinion is what I've seen him do over the years.

You guys ever think that many of your thoughts on Moeller are based on your games watching them play other GCL teams? This idea that Moeller traditionally plays stall ball doesn't make sense to me. I've watched them play more non-GCL games than GCL games, and what I've seen is a team that will get out there and run all over you if they feel there is a an advantage to that with their talent. On the other hand, league games, no matter the league (not just the GCL), tend to bring a different type of play regardless of the teams and talent. Maybe he's playing that style due to the type of game he knows the GCL will bring.

Call Kremer and elite coach or not, a great coach adapts to the situation at hand, which in my opinion is what I've seen him do over the years.
You're right. I only see the GCL games/scores. I don't really pay attention to the non-league scores for Moe. But even within the league they generally have a distinct advantage, so they could still run the league opponents off the floor. Then again, maybe the GCL teams know their opponent so well like you said, so they're making sure to get back on defense and hunker down to make them grind it out.

It's just crazy to me that Moeller has all this talent compared to the rest of the area and sometimes they score in the 30s. Maybe I'm not giving enough credit to the GCL opponents, you would just expect them to always be in the 50s-60s or higher.

Last edited:

CK gets very conservative in the "bigger games" He has had NBA guys on his teams and will still play games in the 40's. Like i said earlier, he is a great program director but I hate his coaching style.

CK gets very conservative in the "bigger games" He has had NBA guys on his teams and will still play games in the 40's. Like i said earlier, he is a great program director but I hate his coaching style.
I think this is a good way to put it - he's created a unique program where the results speak for themselves (got a head start on what is happening at most places now - he was definitely ahead of the curve), albeit in a way where he's taken some heat (he doesn't care). And I agree with your coaching assessment as well.

I think this is a good way to put it - he's created a unique program where the results speak for themselves (got a head start on what is happening at most places now - he was definitely ahead of the curve), albeit in a way where he's taken some heat (he doesn't care). And I agree with your coaching assessment as well.
If we are talking about this year in particular I disagree with this conversation. The talent level at Moeller this year doesn’t seem above Elder. In fact based on last Friday I thought Elder showed better depth even without Keller.

If we are talking about this year in particular I disagree with this conversation. The talent level at Moeller this year doesn’t seem above Elder. In fact based on last Friday I thought Elder showed better depth even without Keller.
I don't think any of them were talking about this year in particular, but more of his program in general over the years.

True - but none of those schools were in the category of Montverde or Oak Hill. McMillan and Griffith have NBA potential - Holt and McKracken, although good players, will never sniff the NBA level, much less high level D1. Not sure McKracken went to a prep school, I think he just moved out of town with his family and went to a normal high school his senior year, but I may be wrong.

I'm just saying that if this kid is good enough to go to Oak Hill and is playing in the westside Catholic league, people would have heard about him because he'd be unstoppable. Kids that good don't play in the Catholic grade school leagues. That doesn't mean any of the local high schools wouldn't be thrilled to get him.
Deuce McBride (Knicks) played for Pacelli and was unstoppable, but also a gracious teammate and competitor who never ran teams out of the gym or hogged the ball even though he could have. You are correct about McKraken, moved with his family out of state-not prep school.

I agre and also feel like there were a few leaner years when social media and yappi became popular where this narrative took hold. If you look at the shots attempted and average it out over the past 10 years Moeller is shooting more than the shot clock rule would forced them to.

Deuce McBride (Knicks) played for Pacelli and was unstoppable, but also a gracious teammate and competitor who never ran teams out of the gym or hogged the ball even though he could have. You are correct about McKraken, moved with his family out of state-not prep school.
Obviously a very skilled player - but at the time, would even he have gone to a prep school or been someone who landed at Duke or UNC or UCLA or Michigan State? Maybe - but probably not.

But yes, he probably is the best player to ever play in the Catholic grade school league. I'm just saying the region doesn't have hardly any kids that go to the highest level prep schools (e.g. the Oak Hill Academy types), because the Blue Chips rarely get their talent from Cincinnati. A ton of very good players go on to play D1 basketball, but very few at the very top of the recruiting rankings. The only local player I can think of that went to a Blue Chip program recently right out of high school was Luke Kennard.

When I played in grade school, we would play west side schools every now and then. We would always kill them in grade school and they would always turn around and kill us in high school. The westside Catholic league seemed to be more developmental and I think it helped down the line.

Last edited:
The westside Catholic league seemed to be more developmental and I think it helped down the line.
I wish this were still true. There is not enough player development going on at the grade school level in most sports these days. The fundamentals are no longer drilled. The focus is on how many games they can get into a season. I would say football may be the only exception.

When my son played volleyball at Victory they had moms coaching some of the teams and they did a great job teaching the boys the fundamentals. I believe that some of those moms played on state championship teams at Seton so they knew what they were talking about. Those teams were fun to watch. Quite a few of those boys contributed to strong teams at Elder over the years. I think this is why Elder’s volleyball program got off to such a strong start, they had boys coming into the program that knew how to play the game properly. Obviously this is a basketball thread and I don’t want to take it off course, I just wanted to provide a good example of the value of player development at the grade school level.

Is La Salle limiting attendance? There’s a surprising number of empty seats in the home team stands for a game that’s a sell out.
I was thinking the samething. The only thing I can think of is if they sold a total number of tickets and Freshman and JV parents left after their games were done.

50-43 E final. Not E’s best game with a bunch of TOS, but still kept LS at a decent distance the whole game

50-43 E final. Not E’s best game with a bunch of TOS, but still kept LS at a decent distance the whole game
LaSalles coach made a great halftime adjustment. Decided to take away the three point shots and make Elder beat him down low. Almost worked. 6 point game with 3 minutes left.

LaSalles coach made a great halftime adjustment. Decided to take away the three point shots and make Elder beat him down low. Almost worked. 6 point game with 3 minutes left.
Like to see Browne and Kirch get more touches when teams do that.

Elder didn't finish around the rim after they were being run off the 3-point line and they had plenty of chances. This game should have been closer to a 15-20 point margin. Even in the 4th Qtr, the Panthers forced up some bad 3s that led to LaSalle run-outs. Sloppy game from Elder overall, and had LaSalle knocked down a few more shots earlier they wouldn't have been so fortunate to leave with a W.

I was at the game. Panthers shot well early and played a very sloppy second half. If they want to win on the road at x and moe they will have to clean up all the silly fouls and turnovers.

Any win in this league is a good win and very nice to have Keller back.