2022 Cleveland Browns Thread

tom 48

When has anyone suggested that Case should have been the first string qb? Of course not. However, in the latter half of the season when it became apparent to everyone that Mayfield was physically unable to perform the way he needed to, Keenum would have been a better option. Mayfield was a mess, overthrowing, taking too much time, being unsure of himself. Was it the injuries? Hopefully. But a healthy vet would have been a very wise option for at least a couple of those games. The Browns only needed a couple more wins. The Steelers have just beaten the Ravens and should qualify for the playoffs. The Browns are in last. Mayfield needed to protect a lead or bring the team back late in the game. He couldn't do either. In the long run, he is a better bet, but for those games, it was a mistake to keep him in there.

Last edited:

Big Ben can barely throw a 20 yard pass these days and he led the Steelers to yet another postseason. Meanwhile, the Browns can live off the memories of their five postseason wins since the AFL\NFL merger. Jeez, five postseason wins in 51 seasons? The Steelers have won more Super Bowls in that time…six.

Big Ben can barely throw a 20 yard pass these days and he led the Steelers to yet another postseason. Meanwhile, the Browns can live off the memories of their five postseason wins since the AFL\NFL merger. Jeez, five postseason wins in 51 seasons? The Steelers have won more Super Bowls in that time…six.
Wait until next year…;)

Im not a steelers fan at all, but they know how to win...BR is just just a winner...ill be glad to see him go

Baker needs to lose some weight, he’s a little porker
That was two seasons ago. I’m absolutely not a Baker fan, but he’s been in good shape in the Stefanski era. He was resembling the coach too much in the brief Freddie Kitchens era.

How many playoff games did the Steelers win last year?

Dont fool yourself, they backed into the playoffs due to the Colts crapping the bed.

Steelers situation has nothing to do with where the Browns are as an organization. Cleveland won today and everyone from the players, coaches, organization and fan base all are questioning if they would be a playoff team this evening if Keenum had been inserted as the starting qb midway thru the season.

Now the Brownies have little choice but to run it back next season with The Baker at qb for a relatively inexpensive $18.8 mil guaranteed. If it all comes crashing down next season, Browns fans can hope for this: Browns get rid of Baker, the coach & GM and offer the reigns/control of the franchise to Peyton Manning. Manning is good friends with the Browns owner who is a big Tennessee Volunteer’s booster.

Only a Browns fan could feel terrible on a football Sunday when in fact their team won……granted it was a jv game today but they did win.

Only a Browns fan could feel terrible on a football Sunday when in fact their team won……granted it was a jv game today but they did win.
This is the problem right here. The organization is petrified of losing. Stop belieiving in curses. Stop focusing on old QB battles. Absolutely no reason they should've lost to a mediocre Steelers team last week, except that they can't shut the drama off for two seconds. The Browns are a very talented football team, would be a shame to waste the next couple years. Baker is fine if he can mature. Huge question mark there.

Absolutely no on the Mannings though. Archie and Peyton's "advice" drove a few teams into the ground, along with Eli's play. The Browns have a good GM, not so sure on the head coach anymore though.

Oh and if anybody's listening, for the 800th time... FIRE MIKE PRIEFER. Almost lost another (!) onside kick when it's nigh impossible to do so these days. Y'all realize the Browns win the AFC North this year with even a below average ST coordinator, right? Dead near last in every metric. And he's a jerk.

Steelers situation has nothing to do with where the Browns are as an organization. Cleveland won today and everyone from the players, coaches, organization and fan base all are questioning if they would be a playoff team this evening if Keenum had been inserted as the starting qb midway thru the season.

Now the Brownies have little choice but to run it back next season with The Baker at qb for a relatively inexpensive $18.8 mil guaranteed. If it all comes crashing down next season, Browns fans can hope for this: Browns get rid of Baker, the coach & GM and offer the reigns/control of the franchise to Peyton Manning. Manning is good friends with the Browns owner who is a big Tennessee Volunteer’s booster.

Unless Manning is suiting up to play QB no thanks.

Run it back with a guy who when healthy led the team to 11 wins, a playoff win on the road and had a better than 3 to 1 TD-INT ratio. Yeah I'll take that.

Unless Manning is suiting up to play QB no thanks.

Run it back with a guy who when healthy led the team to 11 wins, a playoff win on the road and had a better than 3 to 1 TD-INT ratio. Yeah I'll take that.
Wow Baker got you brainwashed.

• Haha
Reactions: y2h
Baker is certainly the most realistic alternative for 2022. Regardless of who the QB might be in 2022, they need a couple of dynamic WRs. I would sign Njoku. He can be a total mismatch when used correctly. I would cut Hooper. He’s not worth it. Others I would consider cutting would be John Johnson, Troy Hill and the LB Walker. I see why their teams didn’t want to pay them. I would sign Clowney, if possible. He’s productive all around.

How many playoff games did the Steelers win last year?

Dont fool yourself, they backed into the playoffs due to the Colts crapping the bed.
You back into the playoffs when you lose....yet still make it. Steelers won 3 of their last 4, including against the top seed Titans.

We realize you are just jealous that the highly touted browns finished last.
Last.

Steelers will get thumped next week If this game does not end in a tie, will lose their HoF QB and will move forward. The fanbase trusts the organization, the same cannot ever be said in Cleveland.

Enjoy the view from the basement....you should be used to it.

You back into the playoffs when you lose....yet still make it. Steelers won 3 of their last 4, including against the top seed Titans.

We realize you are just jealous that the highly touted browns finished last.
Last.

Steelers will get thumped next week If this game does not end in a tie, will lose their HoF QB and will move forward. The fanbase trusts the organization, the same cannot ever be said in Cleveland.

Enjoy the view from the basement....you should be used to it.
They dont make it if the Colts beat the pathetic Jags...so yeah they backed in.

Browns didnt finish last, Baltimore did.

Y2K says no thanks to Peyton Manning as a potential GM and is all for the Baker at qb………kindergarten must have been hard for you.

Even at Baker’s best the wins were because of the line & the running game. Baker healthy is a functional qb, 16-20th best in the league. Yea, he can win you a game in the playoffs - but that’s the ceiling with him. Again, credit to Baker being almost a 500 qb for a franchise that was 1-31 the two seasons prior to his arrival but again, Baker was not the main reason for the improvement. As a Steeler fan, I truly hope the Baker is in Cleveland next season.

Y2K says no thanks to Peyton Manning as a potential GM and is all for the Baker at qb………kindergarten must have been hard for you.

Even at Baker’s best the wins were because of the line & the running game. Baker healthy is a functional qb, 16-20th best in the league. Yea, he can win you a game in the playoffs - but that’s the ceiling with him. Again, credit to Baker being almost a 500 qb for a franchise that was 1-31 the two seasons prior to his arrival but again, Baker was not the main reason for the improvement. As a Steeler fan, I truly hope the Baker is in Cleveland next season.
What has Manning proven as an executive? Great player doesnt mean great coach/GM.

Baker had a 26-8 split last year. That's a solid season I dont care who you are. Also set the rookie record for TDs previously held by...Manning.

Clearly there is talent there. He doesn't have to be Rodgers or Brady in this offense.

Baker is certainly the most realistic alternative for 2022. Regardless of who the QB might be in 2022, they need a couple of dynamic WRs. I would sign Njoku. He can be a total mismatch when used correctly. I would cut Hooper. He’s not worth it. Others I would consider cutting would be John Johnson, Troy Hill and the LB Walker. I see why their teams didn’t want to pay them. I would sign Clowney, if possible. He’s productive all around.
You get you cant just cut people right? That would be a disaster on the salary cap.

Y2K - Forget statistics, use your eyes. What do you see with Baker late in games? Baker healthy, Baker 2021 or any other version of what Baker may be - one likes their chances up late in the 4th with Baker the opposing qb forced to execute a game winning drive. Any NFL Super Bowl caliber qb one would want that qb on the sidelines, you would almost prefer to be down 3 or 4 pts with your team having the ball. Baker, I like my defense’s chances against him.

Cutting Hooper would still cost the Browns $11 mil towards the cap, it would only save them $2 mil. Cutting Walker saves them $0, his salary next season is only $1.2 mil. Jarvis Landry will either have to restructure his deal or probably get cut. He’s due $16.6 mil. Cutting him would only cost the Browns $1.5 mil thus saving them over $15 mil towards the cap.

What's the hit for cutting Johnson? I'll admit I don't understand the salary aspects of the NFL well, but I think he's getting a lot of guaranteed money.

Correct, cutting Johnson & Hill would cost the Browns:
* Johnson - $16.3 mil, he will make $7.7 mil next season
* Hill - $5.3 mil, he will make $3.3 mil next season

Both players would cost the Browns more on the cap if either were cut because of the signing bonus/guarantee $$$. The contract each signed last year typically spreads the bonus/guarantee $$$ over the life of the deal but would all remaining $$$ would hit at once if cut.

While I am not sold on Baker … I do feel he most likely will be the QB next year … mostly based on not having a realistic option due to salary/cap restrictions between his salary and the price of an up grade QB … with that said, I hope the Browns can fly under the radar this off-season … improve internally … by the draft and minor FAs … and taking a hard look at what they need to change schematically … and it also means Baker keeping his mouth shut and just working on getting better physically, mentally, and fundamentally.

Y2K - Forget statistics, use your eyes. What do you see with Baker late in games? Baker healthy, Baker 2021 or any other version of what Baker may be - one likes their chances up late in the 4th with Baker the opposing qb forced to execute a game winning drive. Any NFL Super Bowl caliber qb one would want that qb on the sidelines, you would almost prefer to be down 3 or 4 pts with your team having the ball. Baker, I like my defense’s chances against him.

Cutting Hooper would still cost the Browns $11 mil towards the cap, it would only save them $2 mil. Cutting Walker saves them $0, his salary next season is only $1.2 mil. Jarvis Landry will either have to restructure his deal or probably get cut. He’s due $16.6 mil. Cutting him would only cost the Browns $1.5 mil thus saving them over $15 mil towards the cap.
I get that you primarily follow the Stillers, but recommending cutting Jarvis shows a lack of understanding of the team. That dude is the heartbeat of the team, and he changed the culture more than anyone. Need some better young WRs but Jarvis needs to be retained.

This team is not that far off as others have said above. RB and OL are solid. Defense is solid with a few tweaks, love to retain Clowney. If Baker is healthy and performs at 2020 levels (10-12th best in NFL) this team has what it needs except in the WR and special teams.

I get that you primarily follow the Stillers, but recommending cutting Jarvis shows a lack of understanding of the team. That dude is the heartbeat of the team, and he changed the culture more than anyone. Need some better young WRs but Jarvis needs to be retained.

This team is not that far off as others have said above. RB and OL are solid. Defense is solid with a few tweaks, love to retain Clowney. If Baker is healthy and performs at 2020 levels (10-12th best in NFL) this team has what it needs except in the WR and special teams.
I think Landry has probably played his last game as a Brown.

Why would he want to come back. Yesterday he caught his second touchdown of the year. The Stefanski offense is not built on not featuring the wide receivers, so I would think Landry and Higgins are gone.

Reactions: y2h