2021-2022 Elder Basketball

Also, worried Elder is going to get homered big time going up against the host school tomorrow. Tonight’s officiating was sketchy at best.

I didn’t want to say it but I thought there were questionable calls down the stretch also.
They let BG play aggressive all night but hit Elder with some ticky tack bs. If they were that bad for a non host school, it could be particularly egregious when playing vs Ashland in their own Tournament.

I agree. You can’t always expect Harp or Keller to be on, so getting Menninger and Browne more confidence as scorers is big for the Tournament.
In the opening game against Teays Valley, Elder had five players (Harp, Whitmer, Busam, Menninger and Browne) score in double figures. I think Menninger was also one of Elder's leading scorers tonight.

Stats for tonight's game were just posted. http://gcls.gclsports.com/bkGameStats.aspx?gameid=388079 Menninger was Elder's second leading scorer tonight with 16 points. Keller had 20, Harp scored 12 and Browne had 10.

Last edited:
They let BG play aggressive all night but hit Elder with some ticky tack bs. If they were that bad for a non host school, it could be particularly egregious when playing vs Ashland in their own Tournament.
maybe sagers will be called to help them out.

jtk
()

maybe sagers will be called to help them out.

jtk
()
IDK, maybe I’m making too much out of it, but the foul discrepancy before BG fouled to extend the game was like 10-3 in the 4th quarter.

Last edited:
The only thing I find odd about this tournament is that the host has had only 7pm games. I know they would get a good time spot, but the tournament was designed so that if they win, they would always play at 7pm.

32-21 Ash at half. E looks very lethargic with 10 TOs. Far too many self inflicted mistakes vs a good team on the road

The good news is Ash has 2 of their best players in foul trouble, but I don’t think the officials will allow them to foul out. There was a clear charge on one of them the final play of the half and it flat out wasn’t called.

Last edited:
66-52 Ash wins. Bad game all around from Elder with the exception of Keller. Not sure if they were worn out from the 3 days of games or if there’s serious flaws that were exposed but they got beat in every single phase of the game.

Very well done broadcast, game, and tournament. I hope its an annual trip for the Panthers.
Absolutely not. Elder did not lose bc of the officiating but it was still pretty heavily favored to Ash. These small rural schools always have their hometown officials.

All that said, I still think Elder is the best team in the GCL. Hopefully, they learn from this game and work on some of the weaknesses that got exposed.

I’m glad to see they’re trying to work Browne more in the Post. You can tell he’s still not entirely comfortable playing down low, but the potential is there. IMO, how he develops in the Post will determine how far they can go.

Elder still allowing unlimited fans for basketball games? What’s their mask policy? Not trying to debate anyone, simply trying to plan accordingly for the game vs Moe on Friday. Thanks in advance.

https://www.crescent-news.com/sport...cle_415a3cda-80b9-54e3-96b0-35b0fe0e4330.html

Latest Ohio boys hoops poll​

DIVISION I
1. Centerville (11) 6-0 127
2. Gahanna Lincoln 8-1 105
3. Westerville S. 8-0 71
4. Kettering Fairmont 9-1 51
5. Upper Arlington (2) 9-0 48
6. Pickerington Cent. 7-1 42
7. Green 9-1 40
8. Lakewood St. Edward 6-2 39
9. Cin. Elder 10-2 37
10. Sylvania Northview 8-1 32
If you drew a circle from Greater Columbus to Greater Dayton I believe you would find the top 6 schools in this poll. ?

https://www.crescent-news.com/sport...cle_415a3cda-80b9-54e3-96b0-35b0fe0e4330.html

Latest Ohio boys hoops poll​

DIVISION I
1. Centerville (11) 6-0 127
2. Gahanna Lincoln 8-1 105
3. Westerville S. 8-0 71
4. Kettering Fairmont 9-1 51
5. Upper Arlington (2) 9-0 48
6. Pickerington Cent. 7-1 42
7. Green 9-1 40
8. Lakewood St. Edward 6-2 39
9. Cin. Elder 10-2 37
10. Sylvania Northview 8-1 32
For perspective: Centerville beat Wayne 53-46 last week. The transitive property isn’t always the best metric, but with Elder beating Wayne on the road, I think it shows they’re good enough to play with anyone in the state.

Huge game. This is the year you want to get Moeller bc the next 2 years, they’ll be dominant. Despite that, Moeller is still good. They have the most talented player in the GCL in Mahaffey. He wasn’t much of a scorer last yr but has become their go to guy. He’s also the best defender in the city, maybe state, bc his athleticism and length. I’m not sure who he will match up on, but whomever it is will likely be limited scoring. That’s why Elder needs to make a conscientious effort to get out into the break and make it a full court game. Don’t slow things down and let Moe grind it out in the half court.

Frosh lost 42-40. E lead most of the way, but lost lead late. TBH, neither team looked super impressive. Both were really lead by 1 player: Land for Moe and Williams for E.