2022 BENEDICTINE FOOTBALL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would advise the AD to inquire about playing Canfield at Canfield, 1 year contract. That is the only way Canfield would likely play Benedictine, is if it is a home game for them. They probably would not entertain a 2 or 3 year contract because they lose their D-I recruit QB after next year.
Benny should not give up a home game....they only had 2 last year vs TCC and Boardman

Benny should not give up a home game....they only had 2 last year vs TCC and Boardman
Well Canfield definitely won't travel to play them when they can get a Senate League team to play them at home if all else fails. Canfield already has 6 away games as well it looks like, so they aren't going to be willing to play anymore away games unless it is a really short drive perhaps or they agree to split the gate or something. If Benny's wants a game, they will have to play at Canfield, otherwise it's not going to happen. And even then it is not a sure thing, Canfield may already be talking to other teams about that week.

Well Canfield definitely won't travel to play them when they can get a Senate League team to play them at home if all else fails. Canfield already has 6 away games as well it looks like, so they aren't going to be willing to play anymore away games unless it is a really short drive perhaps or they agree to split the gate or something. If Benny's wants a game, they will have to play at Canfield, otherwise it's not going to happen. And even then it is not a sure thing, Canfield may already be talking to other teams about that week.
I understand that, but Canfield isn't the only team open I'm sure

I understand that, but Canfield isn't the only team open I'm sure
No doubt, just depends on what is most important to the coach and AD.
If they want a quality opponent that is not too far of a drive. Or if they want to play a Senate League team. Or if they want to get an out of state team or a Cincy or another Columbus team.

Canfield might be the best opponent they can get within an hour drive that is open week 4. That is all I was saying.

The only other game you can get within an hour drive is Lake Catholic, if they will even agree to play you.

Last edited:
You cannot tell me the Gibbons boys will duck Benedictine. I’m pretty sure they’ll play anyone anytime.

I know a lot of older guys say Larry Zelina was the best that ever wore a Benny uni but I have to go with Jerome Baker. On top of being a great player he is a great guy and the Dolphins nominee for Walter Peyton Man of the Year.

I know a lot of older guys say Larry Zelina was the best that ever wore a Benny uni but I have to go with Jerome Baker. On top of being a great player he is a great guy and the Dolphins nominee for Walter Peyton Man of the Year.

I agree

Time to move on from 2021 and look forward!

The pursuit of a 9th State Championship begins in Jarritt Goode’s 4th season as Head Coach. Coach Goode is 22-10 in his first 3 seasons (10-2, 4-5, 8-3) with 3 Playoff Appearances

2022 Schedule:

1- Walsh Jesuit
2- @ Toledo Central Catholic
3- @ Cleveland Heights
4- Bishop Hartley
5- @ Akron Buchtel
6- @ Youngstown Boardman
7- Brecksville
8- @ Erie (PA) Cathedral Prep
9- Akron Archbishop Hoban
10- Nordonia

The Lucas Kaltenbach era begins. He will be a SOPH in 2022 and looks to be one of the best QB’s to ever come thru Bennie.

We graduate 3 good receivers and DB’s. Who steps up there?

Expect the OL to be good again (Led by SR Anthony Iliano) and we have Duane Jackson back at RB. Hope his leg injury is recovering well. Kareem Jennings (TE/DE) will be a JR has a huge year ahead of him. Great size, but this year dictates if he’s a major recruit or mid-major recruit.

Holes at LB with Derell graduating. Have to replace the P/K in Cora as well.

Any additional insight?
I believe we have a kid coming in from West G. OL. Last name Kovacs. I did some research and he is on Twitter and has the Bene logo as his main pic. He will be a freshman.

They open?
Here is a complete list of teams open the week in question, I have put the most realistic options in bold.
  • Hoban D-II (they are already on your schedule)
  • Canfield D-III
  • Taft D-V/D-VI
  • Withrow D-II
  • Detroit Catholic Central OOS
  • Liberty Benton D-V/D-VI
  • Lake Catholic D-IV (went 1-9 Last year)
  • Mogadore D-VI
  • Tiffin Columbian D-III/D-IV
  • DeLaSalle OOS
  • 1 Senate League Team TBD D-III or D-IV
  • Warren JFK D-VII
  • Bishop Watterson D-III

Is Ignatius still open? We last played in 2004

I would love to play Lake Catholic but I don’t believe they will entertain playing Bennie.

Canfield seems like it would have to be away.

That leaves Bishop Watterson as next best option IMO

Is Ignatius still open? We last played in 2004

I would love to play Lake Catholic but I don’t believe they will entertain playing Bennie.

Canfield seems like it would have to be away.

That leaves Bishop Watterson as next best option IMO
St. Ignatius is not open this week.
As you said Lake Catholic probably won't play you especially coming off a 1-9 season.
Watterson already has 5 away games as well, so I don't know if they will want to travel especially since that is a 3 hour drive probably by bus.
I don't know anything about Withrow but perhaps they would be willing to come up to play you guys for the right price, if you cover their travel costs to drive up and back. I don't know anything about Tiffin Columbian, they might be afraid to play you as well, and I think they also already have 5 away games as well, so not sure if they will want to travel either.
A Senate League team would be effectively a BYE week, but makes the most sense logistically.
An alternate option is having Hoban move the game to this week and try to find an opponent for the week you are currently scheduled to play them.
I am not sure if any PA teams are open that is a possibility I suppose.
The most realistic options are probably host a Senate League team or play at Canfield.
And if neither of those pan out then Canfield will probably host the Senate League team.

I have heard a transfer to heights as well as a coach. Poaching a few buddies to go with them too maybe?
Not sure what coach you heard....I know some defensive staff guys are not coming back...if you are talking about a former RB he was kicked out of school in Oct

Not sure what coach you heard....I know some defensive staff guys are not coming back...if you are talking about a former RB he was kicked out of school in Oct
Don't know what coach you could be talking about. Almost all the coaches are Benny guys. Joe P , Koby , W Goode J Goode, John B, Scales. Hatz is a Strongsville guy. Hard to find someone that would leave.

I've heard of a 23 dlinemen going to heights...maybe his classmate buddies Illiano and Jackson will go with him...

Status
Not open for further replies.