Why Canton?

No different than the past few years. Why let NE/EC OH have home turf in all the state finals?
The "let them" because they presented the best deal to the OHSAA to host them. If you want them so bad in your area, contact the OHSAA and advise them that you'll underwrite the tournament guaranteeing them a better financial package. Then contact those responsible for the other venue you wish to have the games at and guarantee them the same deal....

All parties involved will jump all over it.
You read earlier I mentioned having 2 separate weekends as well. The other 2 are NFL stadiums which many other states use as their lone venue.
They aren't having state finals on two different weekends and they aren't having them at 4-5 venues.

Last edited:
Speaking seriously this time, unfortunately there is no way to appease everyone, no matter what you do someone isn't going to be happy. I have attended state Championship games at Massillon and at Fawcett and didn't mind either as venues, I have not been to the new stadium in Canton however. Truth be told, I would not drive more than an hour or so to go, regardless of where they were, when I lived in the Columbus area I wouldn't bother to go to Massillon or Canton and when I lived in NEO I wouldn't bother to go to Columbus.

No different than the past few years. Why let NE/EC OH have home turf in all the state finals? 3 of the 5 have hosted. You read earlier I mentioned having 2 separate weekends as well. The other 2 are NFL stadiums which many other states use as their lone venue.
Why Canton? Because Canton wanted it, they put a bid in for it, and the OHSAA accepted the bid.

Last edited:
The "let them" because they presented the best deal to the OHSAA to host them. If you want them so bad in your area, contact the OHSAA and advise them that you'll underwrite the tournament guaranteeing them a better financial package. Then contact those responsible for the other venue you wish to have the games at and guarantee them the same deal....

All parties involved will jump all over it.

They aren't having state finals on two different weekends and they aren't having them at 4-5 venues.
My true area is Indiana where they don't have the problem. They have an indoor and centrally located venue. Honestly the MAC teams near me will travel anywhere to win it all so I don't think it matters if it's in NW/WC Ohio for them. My thoughts are trying to collect more of the average fans across Ohio. Surprisingly the IHSAA has succeeded with Thanksgiving weekend.

Long time ago, Thanksgiving was the end of the regular season.

My high school, back in the 30s-50s, regularly started in PA late September and the final game of the season was, many times, against Brookfield, Ohio on Thanksgiving day.

Seeing mid August games and regular season done before November. And the playoffs done all the way into December just doesn't feel like a fall sport. It's summer and winter more.

Long time ago, Thanksgiving was the end of the regular season.

My high school, back in the 30s-50s, regularly started in PA late September and the final game of the season was, many times, against Brookfield, Ohio on Thanksgiving day.

Seeing mid August games and regular season done before November. And the playoffs done all the way into December just doesn't feel like a fall sport. It's summer and winter more.
Sharpsville?

The average fan has no idea what it takes to put on a State Tournament

The OHSAA has played games over Thanksgiving weekend since the playoffs were implemented.
The average fan just needs to attend. They don't need to know anything other than where and when. That's the issue with current attendance. Only one side of the state has the average neutral fan for the most part. Sooner or later, football & baseball stadiums will begin to transition to open/closed roof setups. That will help as well.

I know you intended this to be a put down, but as a proud hillbilly from the 513 I kinda think you are spot on.....We're just thankful they don't have a turf field in Ashtabula, or the OHSAA would probably move the finals up there. Oh, and that's Lou-a-vul not Louie-ville.
Not a put down. Just what I’ve noticed. My sister moved to Cincinnati when she got married (her husband is from Hamilton) and they always go to Indianapolis and Louisville when an event is happening. That area has an irrational hate for Columbus and Cleveland. It’s so strange.

Not a put down. Just what I’ve noticed. My sister moved to Cincinnati when she got married (her husband is from Hamilton) and they always go to Indianapolis and Louisville when an event is happening. That area has an irrational hate for Columbus and Cleveland. It’s so strange.
You ain't wrong....

I think "irrational hate" is a bit of a stretch. I've lived in SW Ohio my whole life. I love Columbus, Indy and Louisville. Truthfully, I don't like Cleveland, but in reality I've only been to the city a couple of times in my life. Personally, I think most of the distaste for Cleveland in this part of the state is sports related. If you're a Bengals or Reds fan, you are most likely hate the Browns and the Guardians (LOL). We have multiple great cities within a few hours drive and Cleveland is 4 hours away. Hell, if I want to drive 4 hours to hang out in a city for a weekend I'll drive an extra hour and go to Nashville.

I think "irrational hate" is a bit of a stretch. I've lived in SW Ohio my whole life. I love Columbus, Indy and Louisville. Truthfully, I don't like Cleveland, but in reality I've only been to the city a couple of times in my life. Personally, I think most of the distaste for Cleveland in this part of the state is sports related. If you're a Bengals or Reds fan, you are most likely hate the Browns and the Guardians (LOL). We have multiple great cities within a few hours drive and Cleveland is 4 hours away. Hell, if I want to drive 4 hours to hang out in a city for a weekend I'll drive an extra hour and go to Nashville.
To be quite honest, there is no reason to like Cleveland.

You’d lose that bet
In my research I haven't found your name attached to anything to do with the State Finals. To be fair they don't list parking lot attendants. So you don't know more than anyone else on this forum.

You have a a problem with people who can prove you wrong. Just because you talk a lot doesn't make you correct.

I don't believe anybody in Cincinnati "hates" Columbus (the city) which is a similar distance to Cincy as Indy and Louisville. Cleveland is 4.5 hours away and doesn't really count.

To the extent that Cincy people have a relationship with Indy and Louisville that they don't have with Columbus (and I am not saying they do for anything not sports-related as I think for any non-sports event, Cincy people would go to any of Indy, Columbus, or Louisville as they are all a similar distance away), it isn't because Cincy people "hate" Columbus, it is because of sports rooting interests. Specifically, when it comes to college sports, pretty much everybody in Columbus is an OSU fan (for obvious reasons). Further, Cleveland doesn't have any colleges that have serious sports programs and lots of OSU alums so Cleveland, naturally, is a HUGE OSU town. Cincy, on the other hand, has two local colleges with serious sports programs (XU and UC), and a suburb across the river where pretty much everyone is a UK fan. Are there OSU fans in Cincy? Yes - but, as opposed to Columbus and Cleveland where EVERYBODY (OSU alum or not) is an OSU fan, almost all of the OSU fans in Cincy are alums (and there are lots of fans of other teams too). Not only that, pretty much everybody who is not an OSU alum in Cincy is an active OSU-"hater" mainly because they are sick of OSU fans from Columbus and Cleveland treating them like second class citizens. So you have that.

Next, when it comes to professional sports, and maybe even because of the somewhat anti-OSU sentiment in Cincy for the reasons above, almost all Columbus fans gravitate towards the Browns over the Bengals, and, to some extent, the Indians - errr, Guardians - over the Reds. So you essentially get this situation where Columbus/Cleveland are involved in this codependent relationship for sports (would guess that Cleveland also has way more Blue Jacket fans than Cincy does) and you end up with a feedback loop of Columbus/Cleveland both "hating" Cincy and Cincy saying we don't need either of you and "hating" back.

In any event, there is your explanation for the completely rational and understandable reason why Cincy doesn't share the same relationship with Columbus and/or Cleveland that the two cities have with each other.

Last edited:
In my research I haven't found your name attached to anything to do with the State Finals. To be fair they don't list parking lot attendants. So you don't know more than anyone else on this forum.

You have a a problem with people who can prove you wrong. Just because you talk a lot doesn't make you correct.
To be fair, Stark county has a lot of volunteers that keep the finals there. I feel like AllSports is saying it takes more than a simple “we have a venue that could host”. Lots of moving parts. The main part being the willingness to host.

I'm smart enough to know how to brush snow off my seat however ;)
You and your buddies have done nothing but speculate. Your "proof" is the mere existence of facilities along with the long held speculation that the OHSAA is biased against SW Ohio, with Cincinnati in general. Give John Barrett a call and ask him how he got the State Tennis Tournament moved to Mason 7 years ago.

I guarantee you it wasn't a proposal that was worse than what they had at Ohio State.

Again, this isn't the CYO "Super Bowl" or what ever youth league event you are used to being a part of.

Again you know nothing more than the common fan. You are a parking lot attendant, and you don't do that well.

You have done nothing but speculate how "great" Canton is. You are an internet bully who abuses his "power" on Yappi. Becoming a Yappi moderator is the greatest thing you have ever done with your life.

I guarantee you don't know what you are talking about.

Again Canton isn't the greatest spot for these game run by people who are intelligent.

Prove me wrong. You have no data that will prove you are in the know.

Again you know nothing more than the common fan. You are a parking lot attendant, and you don't do that well.
Yep. you got me..... Yet all you fellas with "31" on your license plates pay me the extra $10 I charge you.
You have done nothing but speculate how "great" Canton is. You are an internet bully who abuses his "power" on Yappi. Becoming a Yappi moderator is the greatest thing you have ever done with your life.
You missed my recent post on how there is no better venue in the State of Ohio to host the State Tournament than Nippert Stadium.

And take a stab at how many posts outside of the four "Ask the Ref" threads I have moderated, altered, or deleted in the almost 9 years I've been doing this. ( a deal that was agreed to by the owner of this site....... you have issues with that, take it up with him)

I'll help you with that...... zero (so much for that "abuse of power" angle :ROFLMAO: )
Sorry you are upset that some people are in the know. It's what happens when you are directly involved in something for decades and decades.

Yep. you got me..... Yet all you fellas with "31" on your license plates pay me the extra $10 I charge you.

You missed my recent post on how there is no better venue in the State of Ohio to host the State Tournament than Nippert Stadium.

And take a stab at how many posts outside of the four "Ask the Ref" threads I have moderated, altered, or deleted in the almost 9 years I've been doing this. ( a deal that was agreed to by the owner of this site....... you have issues with that, take it up with him)

I'll help you with that...... zero (so much for that "abuse of power" angle :ROFLMAO: )

Sorry you are upset that some people are in the know. It's what happens when you are directly involved in something for decades and decades.
Yep I am correct, you know nothing more than the common fan. You are in the know about nothing.

Bud, it's a high school football web-site. Please know it's not liking you're running Tesla or anything. Geesh son.

I guarantee you don't know what you are talking about.

Again Canton isn't the greatest spot for these game run by people who are intelligent.

Why Canton? Because Canton wanted it, they put a bid in for it, and the OHSAA accepted the bid. None of that will change regarding the 2021 Ohio HS Football state championship games. And that is a FACT! This thread has worn out it's welcome, even though it is quite amusing.

Where? (before you post, really think it through)

What makes the drive so "rough"?
Ohio State's Jesse Owens Track & Field Stadium has a turf field-- and can hold 10,000 fans-- big enough for attendance of ANY division final this year.
Fortress Obetz has a turf field-- and can hold ~7000 fans-- and held the Division I final last year.
Dublin Coffman Stadium has a turf field-- and can hold 8500 fans.
Columbus DeSales Alumni Stadium has a turf field-- and has a rated capacity of 7000-- but held over 10,000 for a game against Watterson.
Hilliard Davidson Stadium has a turf field-- and can hold ~6000 fans.

Any or ALL of these could be used to hold the 7 state title games in Columbus with little or no disruption to the OHSAA's plans to televise all 7 games from one metro area.

The length of the drive to Canton, from SW Ohio necessitates coming up the day before the game, for anything other than a 7PM start-- and necessitates staying overnight (either before or after the game) no matter when the start time is, for SW Ohio teams.

Crew can't because of grass.

Gahanna.... 8,000 capacity
UA..... 11,500 capacity..... can you say absolute nightmare if you get two really big draws back to back? (also have to shut down school for 2 days)

Look, everyone (the fans) want their chance, I get that. However, the business component (like it or not, the $$) takes over.... Until a big venue owner decides to step up and help with the underwriting, it's going to stay in Canton.

And the drive is the drive......(far from "grueling" :ROFLMAO:) Somehow, the St.X swimming team and their parents have figured out how to make it work for the last 40 or so years....... with wild success.
So now, we have two more stadiums that are big enough to hold all the crowds-- UA, Gahanna, Dublin Coffman, DeSales, Fortress Obetz, Hilliard Davidson, and Jesse Owens-- you could hold one game at each site-- now the "back to back" games aren't even a consideration. Put the bigger school divisions at the bigger of those stadiums (Division I at Jesse Owens, Division II at UA, Division III at Coffman, Division IV at Gahanna), then put the smaller school divisions at the smaller stadiums (Division V at DeSales, Division VI at Fortress Obetz, Division VII at Davidson), and no site has more than one game to accommodate-- all turf fields, all sized just right for the de minimis crowds that will actually attend, and all with "stadiums" that have press boxes (most of a decent size).

So now, we have two more stadiums that are big enough to hold all the crowds-- UA, Gahanna, Dublin Coffman, DeSales, Fortress Obetz, Hilliard Davidson, and Jesse Owens-- you could hold one game at each site-- now the "back to back" games aren't even a consideration. Put the bigger school divisions at the bigger of those stadiums (Division I at Jesse Owens, Division II at UA, Division III at Coffman, Division IV at Gahanna), then put the smaller school divisions at the smaller stadiums (Division V at DeSales, Division VI at Fortress Obetz, Division VII at Davidson), and no site has more than one game to accommodate-- all turf fields, all sized just right for the de minimis crowds that will actually attend, and all with "stadiums" that have press boxes (most of a decent size).
Get back to me when that happens :ROFLMAO: