2022 BENEDICTINE FOOTBALL

Status
Not open for further replies.

RestoreTheRoar

Time to move on from 2021 and look forward!

The pursuit of a 9th State Championship begins in Jarritt Goode’s 4th season as Head Coach. Coach Goode is 22-10 in his first 3 seasons (10-2, 4-5, 8-3) with 3 Playoff Appearances

2022 Schedule:

1- Walsh Jesuit
2- @ Toledo Central Catholic
3- Cleveland Heights
4- DeMatha Catholic (MD) @ Ironton HS
5- @ Akron Buchtel
6- @ Youngstown Boardman
7- Brecksville
8- @ Erie (PA) Cathedral Prep
9- Akron Archbishop Hoban
10- Nordonia

The Lucas Kaltenbach era begins. He will be a SOPH in 2022 and looks to be one of the best QB’s to ever come thru Bennie.

We graduate 3 good receivers and DB’s. Who steps up there?

Expect the OL to be good again (Led by SR Anthony Iliano) and we have Duane Jackson back at RB. Hope his leg injury is recovering well. Kareem Jennings (TE/DE) will be a JR has a huge year ahead of him. Great size, but this year dictates if he’s a major recruit or mid-major recruit.

Holes at LB with Derell graduating. Have to replace the P/K in Cora as well.

Any additional insight?

Last edited:

Walsh Jesuit Close game, probably a loss
2- @ Toledo Central Catholic probable loss
3- @ Cleveland Heights Win
4- Bishop Hartley Win
5- Akron Buchtel Win
6- @ Youngstown Boardman Win
7- Brecksville Win
8- @ Erie (PA) Cathedral Prep Win
9- Akron Archbishop Hoban Loss
10- Nordonia Toss up

2022 Schedule:

1- Walsh Jesuit
3- @ Cleveland Heights
4- Bishop Hartley
5- Akron Buchtel
6- @ Youngstown Boardman
7- Brecksville
10- Nordonia

The Lucas Kaltenbach era begins. He will be a SOPH in 2022 and looks to be one of the best QB’s to ever come thru Bennie.

Expect the OL to be good again (Led by SR Anthony Iliano) and we have Duane Jackson back at RB. Hope his leg injury is recovering well. Kareem Jennings (TE/DE) will be a JR has a huge year ahead of him. Great size, but this year dictates if he’s a major recruit or mid-major recruit.

Any additional insight?
Buchtel game is away. We have 5 home and 5 away

2022 Schedule:

1- Walsh Jesuit
3- @ Cleveland Heights
4- Bishop Hartley
5- Akron Buchtel
6- @ Youngstown Boardman
7- Brecksville
10- Nordonia

Any additional insight?
I would expect addition and subtraction...hopefully get a WR or 2 via portal lol

Walsh Jesuit Close game, probably a loss
2- @ Toledo Central Catholic probable loss
3- @ Cleveland Heights Win
4- Bishop Hartley Win
5- Akron Buchtel Win
6- @ Youngstown Boardman Win
7- Brecksville Win
8- @ Erie (PA) Cathedral Prep Win
9- Akron Archbishop Hoban Loss
10- Nordonia Toss up
How are we saying WJ and TCC are losses?

From what I'm seeing, I don't think one of these games is happening, but will wait for the official announcement.

Question for you guys .... why is their penalty number so high for competitive balance? I thought that the OHSAA rule was parochial could claim any district within 20 miles as a feeder? I could be way off. Someone educate me please.

Question for you guys .... why is their penalty number so high for competitive balance? I thought that the OHSAA rule was parochial could claim any district within 20 miles as a feeder? I could be way off. Someone educate me please.
I believe that radius comes into effect this year...I heard 12 miles for catholic elementary schools

Benny draws from a wide variety of schools over a large geographic area so their CB number is high.

I get that there is a talent advantage to this but then again getting bumped up 2 Divisions is kind of rough. They just don't have the numbers these large pubs have, benny would get worn down in the 4th quarter and had a tougher time weathering any key injuries.

Benny draws from a wide variety of schools over a large geographic area so their CB number is high.

I get that there is a talent advantage to this but then again getting bumped up 2 Divisions is kind of rough. They just don't have the numbers these large pubs have, benny would get worn down in the 4th quarter and had a tougher time weathering any key injuries.
What side of Cleveland are they on? What district are they near?

Benedictine is on the Eastside of the Cleveland, and technically near the MLK/Buckeye district. Closest public school would be John Adams.

I see this season going one of two ways...

1. Only wins being over Bucthel and Brecksville

or

2. Disrespected in preseason rankings=>Win no one expected written off as a fluke=>win vs other team no one expected, proving it's not a fluke=>high ranking they dont deserve=>beat up on clearly inferior opponents, solidifying their ranking=>get circles run around them by clearly superior opponent(hoban)=>still get high seed in playoffs=>play low seeds way to close=>lose in regional semifinals

I see this season going one of two ways...

1. Only wins being over Bucthel and Brecksville

or

2. Disrespected in preseason rankings=>Win no one expected written off as a fluke=>win vs other team no one expected, proving it's not a fluke=>high ranking they dont deserve=>beat up on clearly inferior opponents, solidifying their ranking=>get circles run around them by clearly superior opponent(hoban)=>still get high seed in playoffs=>play low seeds way to close=>lose in regional semifinals
This will be Goode's best team since he's been there...obviously you don't follow the program since they have played Hoban tough both times in the regular season and clearly to get the #1 seed they must have beat some tough opponents

On the positive side this winter there is a lot of energy around the hockey program. The Bob Kerhes coached team is playing well and they are currently tied for 2nd in the top Red Division of the GCHSHL with a 6-1-2 record. Note the top 8 varsity teams in NEO like Ed's & Gilmour broke away from the GCHSL but still a great accomplishment for the program and puts them in the top 10ish in the city. Nice rebound for where they were the past few years.

Also of note they too are sporting some hot new all white unis:

269592666_4948640631836006_6153163345920149365_n.jpg

FG2yRmAXIAImw_8

According to Arbiter, Hartley has replaced the Benedictine game with McNicholas.

That would be pretty bush league by Bishop Hartley after we came down to turn around and do that. Their head coach is always talking about playing great teams and they schedule McNicholas, who I believe is in Cincinnati?

Hopefully this isn’t true

According to Arbiter, Hartley has replaced the Benedictine game with McNicholas.

That would be pretty bush league by Bishop Hartley after we came down to turn around and do that. Their head coach is always talking about playing great teams and they schedule McNicholas, who I believe is in Cincinnati?

Hopefully this isn’t true
It's true...pretty BS

From what I've been told, the following teams are definitely looking for games:
  • Akron Hoban
  • Canfield
  • Cincinnati Taft
  • Cincinnati Withrow
  • Detroit Catholic Central (MI)
  • Liberty Benton
  • Mentor Lake Catholic
  • Mogadore
  • Tiffin Columbian
  • Warren DeLaSalle (MI)
The following might be still looking:
  • Akron Ellet
  • Akron Kenmore-Garfield
  • Bishop Watterson
  • 1 Senate League Team (Schedule still not released)
  • Dover
  • Steubenville
  • Warren JFK
  • Youngstown East

• Akron Hoban
  • Canfield
  • Cincinnati Taft
  • Cincinnati Withrow
  • Liberty Benton
  • Mentor Lake Catholic
  • Mogadore
  • Tiffin Columbian
  • Warren DeLaSalle (MI)
  • Akron Ellet
  • Akron Kenmore-Garfield
  • Bishop Watterson
  • Dover
  • Steubenville
  • Warren JFK
  • Youngstown East
Benny really would like this game at home, they have been less than 5 the past few seasons and it would be nice to have at least half the games played in the area code. With that being said from the definitely list Hoban is already on the schedule and the smaller school would just not make sense. I don't see the urban Cincy schools making the trip but they may and especially Withrow would be a great match up, same with the Michigan schools. That leaves Lake Catholic & Canfield, Lake would be a draw and could happen but I am not sure what they have coming back for 2022 and may be shy about a game that can show how far apart these programs have grown. Canfield makes a ton of sense and this is the game that should happen, they are a legit Div III program and with Benny possibly dropping down to III this would be a solid measuring stick type game.

From the might list Dover or Steubenville should fire up the coach bus and make the trip. Euclid has a cool stadium their fans would appreciate and it would be more than adequate to meet their needs but I don't see that happening due to their scheduling philosophies. Watterson may be in the same situation as Lake Catholic in that they just can no longer compete with a Benny level program. Youngstown East may be the best possibility from this list, ugh.

By the way what is up with Hartley??? Their coach made a big deal about playing quality out of area programs home/home to use as a measuring stick and now he is backing out for a similar opponent at home? I wonder what the reasoning is, my guess is they need more home games but so does Benny. The optics of screwing another Catholic HS is not the best...

• Akron Hoban
  • Canfield
  • Cincinnati Taft
  • Cincinnati Withrow
  • Liberty Benton
  • Mentor Lake Catholic
  • Mogadore
  • Tiffin Columbian
  • Warren DeLaSalle (MI)
  • Akron Ellet
  • Akron Kenmore-Garfield
  • Bishop Watterson
  • Dover
  • Steubenville
  • Warren JFK
  • Youngstown East
Lake won't play Benedictine

Lake won't play Benedictine

• Akron Hoban
  • Canfield
  • Cincinnati Taft
  • Cincinnati Withrow
  • Liberty Benton
  • Mentor Lake Catholic
  • Mogadore
  • Tiffin Columbian
  • Warren DeLaSalle (MI)
  • Akron Ellet
  • Akron Kenmore-Garfield
  • Bishop Watterson
  • Dover
  • Steubenville
  • Warren JFK
  • Youngstown East

I think Lake Catholic is afraid to play Benedictine, which is sad, because it was one of my favorite rivalries to watch in all of NE Ohio. Allegedly when the NCL disbanded Benedictine and Hoban, Lake Catholic was at the forefront of the league saying their students health was in jeopardy if both those teams were to continue playing in the NCL.

It looks like St. Ignatius might be open. I think Dover and Steubenville would be great to fill as well. We have history with both those schools. I would welcome Bishop Watterson or Canfield as well.

Hoban is already on the schedule, per usual.

I think Lake Catholic is afraid to play Benedictine, which is sad, because it was one of my favorite rivalries to watch in all of NE Ohio. Allegedly when the NCL disbanded Benedictine and Hoban, Lake Catholic was at the forefront of the league saying their students health was in jeopardy if both those teams were to continue playing in the NCL.

It looks like St. Ignatius might be open. I think Dover and Steubenville would be great to fill as well. We have history with both those schools. I would welcome Bishop Watterson or Canfield as well.

Hoban is already on the schedule, per usual.
Iggy....farewell to Kyle...need to make it happen

Status
Not open for further replies.