2022 St. Ignatius Football

Wildcat97

Starting a new thread since 2021 has closed, so can have location for news, thoughts, schedule updates etc

Talent at some positions, lots of holes at others.

Robinson on defense played well all year, especially in the playoffs.

Only games on Arbiter so far:

1. 8/20 vs Springfield @ Byers
2. 8/27 vs Mentor @ Byers
7. 10/1 vs St. Edward @ First Energy Stadium
8. 10/8 vs Moeller @ Byers

can probably guess St X on 10/15 or 10/22

Just brutal. And it seems like they play the most brutal schedule of any team in Ohio every year. Unreal. At least with playoff expansion going to 12, it won't hurt them as much as when they took 8. But they could still be on the playoff bubble because of their schedule.

I'm shocked Springfield wasn't a one year deal.

The Cats have talent in the program, it's just not in two consecutive classes, and no where near the new Ignatius- the Eagles from Detroit road.

Each position group has returning starters or kids that did receive playing time.
There are some quality kids returning at the skill positions, especially in the current sophomore class. The O- and D-Lines have some returning starters, or with game experience, but according to the rosters, the current sophomore class is light on numbers and there are only 7 linemen in that class. Perhaps the concern is more on the depth of the Lines.

Offense:

2 O-Line starters return – Patrick Lavelle (C) and Dominic Ference (G). Mitchell Hyland (T) got some playing time on varsity and is a likely starter in ‘22. This past season’s O-Line was fairly healthy and had much of the playing time with the schedule the Wildcats played. So, underclassmen on the O-Line played more in JV games to get playing time experience. James Raynor (current soph) at 6’6”, 290# was on the varsity roster, but essentially played in JV games. He has the size and if he has the footwork of his older brother Henry, the Bball player, then he could be a factor.

Receivers: Expect the primary WRs to be Ryan Kennedy, Charlie Dunstan and Jonathan Merimee (current soph), who all had varsity playing time and catches this past season. Dunstan maybe be small, but is quick with speed. Merimee is a big target at 6’4” and appears to be pretty talented. Hunter Moriarity will likely start at TE. AJ Spellacy (current soph) started at WR on JV early in the season before becoming the starting Safety on varsity. Spellacy is very talented and as the roster listed Spellacy as WR/DB, wonder if he will play 2-way in ’22?

RBs: The Ignatius’ coaches like to use their roster depth and play several RBs during a season. That keeps kids fresh and also provides a change in running style and pace.
  • Sean Martin (current soph) is obvious, as he was in the game rotation along with Lenehan and Georges this past season. He’s very good – a playmaker with speed, size, athletic. As Martin also started at DB during the playoffs, wonder if he will play 2-way in ’22?
  • Others: Steven Favazzo started at RB as JV in ’20, but was injured all this past season until the Stow playoff game. In that game, he finally got playing time late and showed that he’ll be in the RB rotation next season. On the roster, Favazzo is also listed as a 2-way player (RB/Safety). Also, Michael Norman and Max Ritt (current soph) showed enough in the Stow game that they can be in next season’s rotation too. Current freshman Grant Washington is another one to look for – he’s similar to Martin in size, speed and athleticism.
QB: Expect Joshua Papesh (current soph), based on his performance in the 2nd half of the Moeller game, his start in week 10 and being the back-up during the playoffs. Mechanically he has a quick, compact release and he gets the ball down the field quickly. Current freshman Quinn Woidke is one to keep an eye on. He throws a nice pass and he’s a multi-sport athlete (one of the better Bball players on the current JV team).

Defense

The D-Line should be in good shape with Will Robinson and Eugene Gibbons returning. They both had substantial played time in this past season’s 6-man rotation. Robinson, an All-NE Inland HM, is reportedly being recruited by Notre Dame. The question is – who else?

LBs: Max Palinski is a returning starter and also All-NE Inland HM. He’s also a multi-sport athlete and his college future may be Baseball. The question is who else – Ryan Ardire and Michael Krebs (current sophs)?

DBs: Injuries this past season affected the make-up of the secondary throughout the season. Those returning who started multiple games, especially late in the season and the playoffs – Brandon Webster, Sean Martin and AJ Spellacy (both current sophs). Like the speed and athleticism of all 3. The question – who else?

Last edited:
Just brutal. And it seems like they play the most brutal schedule of any team in Ohio every year. Unreal. At least with playoff expansion going to 12, it won't hurt them as much as when they took 8. But they could still be on the playoff bubble because of their schedule.
12?

16 of 17 teams made the playoffs in their region. I think they’ll be fine

I'm pretty sure that starting next year the playoffs are expanded from 8 to 12. The 16 this season was a 1 year deal for covid reasons.
Possibly, but that was not my understanding. I think it is at 16 going forward.

Possibly, but that was not my understanding. I think it is at 16 going forward.
Lets research it. Because I'm curious. I was close to 100% of the belief that OHSAA said it was going to do 16 this season then going forward it was going to be 12. I did read that OHSAA was looking to add a strength of schedule component to the Harbin formula for 2022.

Last edited:
I did find an article stating that OHSAA had initially proposed 12 teams per region for this past season but then went with 16. So maybe I misunderstood. I thought it was a 1 year thing then going to 12 after that. But I did not find anything to back that.

I did find an article stating that OHSAA had initially proposed 12 teams per region for this past season but then went with 16. So maybe I misunderstood. I thought it was a 1 year thing then going to 12 after that. But I did not find anything to back that.
I found two OHSAA press releases pertinent to this discussion.

Here is a link to the first one, dated May 20, 2020:
https://www.ohsaa.org/Sports/News/ohsaa-to-expand-football-playoffs-in-2021

It indicated that, “During its May meeting Wednesday afternoon, the Ohio High School Athletic Association Board of Directors voted unanimously to expand the OHSAA football playoffs from eight schools per region to 12 beginning in the 2021 season.” The words I’ve underlined implied that this would extend beyond 2021.

Here is a link to the second press release, dated April 22, 2021:
https://www.ohsaa.org/Sports/News/ohsaa-to-expand-football-playoffs-and-adjust-regional-format

It indicates that for the 2021 season, “The number of playoff qualifiers will expand to 16 schools per region.” It says nothing about subsequent seasons. So, it is not at all clear if the 16 qualifiers per region will continue next year and beyond.

The following portion of the press release also addresses the impact of changing the number of teams that qualify for the playoffs from the originally proposed 12 to 16:
“In May 2020, the OHSAA announced that the football playoffs would expand to 12 teams per region in 2021 and the top four seeds in each region would have a first-round bye. Expanding to 16 schools per region does not add a week to the postseason since it was already now six weeks, it simply eliminates the byes.”

Kyle has announced that this coming season will be his last as he plans to retire. End of an era. Here’s to one last hurrah.

Zinger to take over in 2023.

A really good man. Not even necessarily a great man. A good one (which is more important). Good intentions; good work ethic; has the interests of the kids and the school's reputation at the top of his priority list.

He's made kids, even the more marginal ones, feel like (and they were) valued members of the team. Has leaned toward seniors because he knows football is a lot of work and a reward to the seniors, if possible, is what he would do. Never much of a recruiter (regardless of what the ill-informed on this site have believed), proven by the team fading some in recent years as CYO football has declined dramatically in the Cleveland area.

Elevated the status of high school football coach in this area. Always has something respectful or kind to say about his opponent, win or lose. The media has never caught him "hot" after a loss. Composed and respectful.

As an outsider looking in but following Ohio HS football, I would say Coach Kyle is the true definition of "CLASS". Good luck in his last season and in his retirement years.

I want to throw something else out here. Every high school (hopefully) has someone like Chuck Kyle...a person who is willing to sacrifice his own ego and just get the work done, do what needs to be done. Best example for Kyle has been the Thursday track meet at Ignatius (4 or 5 of them every spring) for the kids who weren't the stars. Ignatius would host with their 40 or 50 lesser runners getting their chance. Benny would show, Ed's sometimes, John Marshall, LW, Max Hayes...all usually with small teams, kids getting a chance to go at it with the big schools. Kyle would MC, also be the guy moving the hurdles, etc.

Similar type at Ed's is Greg Urbas (who I've seen sweeping floors) and, a few decades back, Tim Robertson at St. Joe's/VASJ.

Announcement from the Principal's Office ....

Today during an after school meeting of the entire football program, Chuck Kyle ‘69 announced that the 2022 season will be his final one as Head Football Coach at Saint Ignatius High School. Coach Kyle also announced that he will be retiring from his roles as English teacher and Head Track & Field Coach at the conclusion of the 2022-2023 academic year. Next year will be Coach Kyle’s 50th year of service to our school community.

Each and every member of the Saint Ignatius High School community, past, present, and future, owes a debt of gratitude to Coach Kyle for his extraordinary work in building a culture of excellence at Saint Ignatius. It is hard to imagine our meteoric rise as a school in the 1990s and 2000s without Coach Kyle’s exceptional mission-driven leadership.

Personally, I have always been inspired by Coach Kyle’s belief in his vocation as a teacher and a coach. His complete self-gift to our community and his commitment to his faith are exemplary. Please refer to the media release and accompanying website article from our Communications Department to read more. See here.

Mr. Ryan Franzinger ‘02, current Assistant Principal for Student Discipline and Defensive Coordinator for the varsity football team, will become the Associate Head Football Coach for the 2022 season and assume the role of Head Football Coach beginning in 2023. Starting in the fall of 2022, Ryan will move into our Theology Department. The administration has complete confidence in Ryan’s ability to continue to build the remarkable culture of athletic excellence rooted in our mission to help young men come to know, to love, and to serve Jesus Christ.

Ryan’s work and “tour of duty” in the AP’s role has been remarkable. The process for his replacement will commence in January.

Let us join in prayerful gratitude for these two extraordinary men. A.M.D.G.

Last edited:
End of an era for sure. I have been saying this on many threads when schools look for a new head coach, the days of an ensconced coach in a Catholic High School are waning and Chico may be one of the last. Congrats on a great career and I hope he enjoys his upcoming golden years.

Agre
End of an era for sure. I have been saying this on many threads when schools look for a new head coach, the days of an ensconced coach in a Catholic High School are waning and Chico may be one of the last. Congrats on a great career and I hope he enjoys his upcoming golden years.
Agree, well said.

No one can say Kyle didn't win and lose with class.

Last edited:
When I watch football games on TV and see the winning team dump a barrel of Gatorade on the winning coach, I wonder if in winning those 11 titles, did any Ignatius player dare to do something like that with Kyle. He coached with class and that radiated down to his players who played with class.

When I watch football games on TV and see the winning team dump a barrel of Gatorade on the winning coach, I wonder if in winning those 11 titles, did any Ignatius player dare to do something like that with Kyle. He coached with class and that radiated down to his players who played with class.
You know, come to think of it, I dont recall it happening

CLEVELAND ST. IGNATIUS
1 - (H) Springfield
2 - (H) Mentor
4 - (H) Euclid
5 - @ Akron Hoban