Division V State Championship: AP #1 Kirtland (14-0) vs. AP #8 Versailles (14-1)

Kirtland or Versailles?

• Kirtland by 17+

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • Kirtland by 10-16

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Kirtland by 0-9

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Versailles by 0-9

Votes: 39 26.9%
  • Versailles by 10-16

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Versailles by 17+

Votes: 4 2.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't Versailles have a chance, twice, at the end of the game to win it with a FG but chose to go for the TD and got picked off both times?

I can't quite recall what yard line Versailles was at, but I don't recall a FG really being a viable option. I think the Flyers were in a position to run out the clock after the 1st INT but fumbled then intercepted Versailles again. Anyway, I was extremely impressed with Versailles last night. Kirtland had never trailed in a game since 2019 from what I heard, and the Hornets never had the lead once against the Tigers. I knew Kirtland was going to fight back and make it a nail biter though. Great game!

Didn't Versailles have a chance, twice, at the end of the game to win it with a FG but chose to go for the TD and got picked off both times?
Versailles passed on third down in order to get a closer field goal attempt. It was intercepted so Versailles did not get a chance at the field goal attempt. The reason for the pass was because Versailles not successful at running. After the loss to ML, Versailles put in running out of the eye and became a better offense.
ML, Kirtland , and Versailles were tough teams this year. If they had to play each other again, who knows who would win, but you would have to give an edge to a healthy ML.
On another note, I know Kirtland had some injuries last night but Versailles won without running their best running back, #15 Landen Henry. He got his shoulder hurt when Harvest Prep piled on top of him after the whistle. Landen is a powerful runner, he is good at turning 3 yard runs into 5+ yards. This could of helped the Tigers control the clock in the 4th quarter last night.
There are some sore boys today.

Great win for Versailles. And thanks for the explanation ^^^ as to why L Henry wasn't toting the ball.

Highly enjoyable game to watch - Versailles can be very proud of their fine season.

And Kirtland has nothing to hang their heads about - losing once every four years ain't bad!

Versailles passed on third down in order to get a closer field goal attempt. It was intercepted so Versailles did not get a chance at the field goal attempt. The reason for the pass was because Versailles not successful at running. After the loss to ML, Versailles put in running out of the eye and became a better offense.
ML, Kirtland , and Versailles were tough teams this year. If they had to play each other again, who knows who would win, but you would have to give an edge to a healthy ML.
On another note, I know Kirtland had some injuries last night but Versailles won without running their best running back, #15 Landen Henry. He got his shoulder hurt when Harvest Prep piled on top of him after the whistle. Landen is a powerful runner, he is good at turning 3 yard runs into 5+ yards. This could of helped the Tigers control the clock in the 4th quarter last night.
There are some sore boys today.
I wondered why Henry was not playing, maybe V's best running back.

I wondered why Henry was not playing, maybe V's best running back.
I just watched the game again & realized that Kirtland’s normal starting running back (#2) did not get any carries all game. Assuming he was still banged up & is probably why #20 got more touches out of the backfield.

Versailles beat Kirtland at its own game without one of their top two backs which is very impressive. The quarterback was the best I’ve seen in terms of picking up hidden yards. That game was also up there with the hardest hitting games of the weekend. The Tigers made every play when they needed to & I tip my cap to them for doing what nobody could do to Kirtland for the last 3-4 years.

Time will tell whether the Hornets stay in D5 or drop to D6…the next senior class (juniors at the moment) only has 10-12 kids, so the Hornets will be young next season. Will they be able to step up to the challenge? That’s for us to find out in ten months or so…they now know what it’s like to have a sour taste in their mouths.

I just watched the game again & realized that Kirtland’s normal starting running back (#2) did not get any carries all game. Assuming he was still banged up & is probably why #20 got more touches out of the backfield.

Versailles beat Kirtland at its own game without one of their top two backs which is very impressive. The quarterback was the best I’ve seen in terms of picking up hidden yards. That game was also up there with the hardest hitting games of the weekend. The Tigers made every play when they needed to & I tip my cap to them for doing what nobody could do to Kirtland for the last 3-4 years.

Time will tell whether the Hornets stay in D5 or drop to D6…the next senior class (juniors at the moment) only has 10-12 kids, so the Hornets will be young next season. Will they be able to step up to the challenge? That’s for us to find out in ten months or so…they now know what it’s like to have a sour taste in their mouths.
Versailles junior class is the same size.

I would be so happy if my school could put together 4 straight years of classes with 10-12 kids LOL.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kirtland had 45 kids in the weight room at 9am Sunday morning. They are ready for the challenge. The last time they lost they went on a 55 game win streak. So these kids are ready.

“REVENGE” IS THE MOTTO.

Congrats to Versailles on a great game Saturday. Was not what I wanted or expected but they played great. #6 and #77 man them two are studs and played a great game.

Kirtland had 45 kids in the weight room at 9am Sunday morning. They are ready for the challenge. The last time they lost they went on a 55 game win streak. So these kids are ready.

“REVENGE” IS THE MOTTO.

Congrats to Versailles on a great game Saturday. Was not what I wanted or expected but they played great. #6 and #77 man them two are studs and played a great game.
Well, the MAC will be way down next year so Kirtland likely wont run into another MAC team for awhile, unless they drop to 6 and MSML moves up to 6.
Good chance they can get up to around the 55 win mark before the league makes another appearance in the finals.

"Hell of a run by Kirtland! Kinda fitting that the week after they pass Versailles for the 2nd longest streak and 2 games before they pass another MAC team for longest, it's Versailles/the MAC that stops it."

Delphos St Johns fellow MAC team holds the longest winning streak and if memory serves me it was Versailles under Hetrick that snapped their streak also.

Delphos St Johns, fellow MAC team, holds the longest winning streak and if memory serves me it was Versailles under Hetrick that snapped their streak also.
ML snapped DSJ's 57-game win streak in the D-VI state semi in 2000.

Even though the game was not a state final, I get the sense that many Marion fans consider it ML's greatest victory ever on the gridiron, in part because those DSJ teams in 97-00 were fantastic and to finally beat the Blue Jays seemed like a huge accomplishment.

Last edited:
ML snapped DSJ's 57-game win streak in the D-VI state semi in 2000.

Even though the game was not a state final, I get the sense that many Marion fans consider it ML's greatest victory ever on the gridiron, in part because those DSJ teams in 97-00 were fantastic.
Talk about a LITERAL passing of the torch moment. DSJ has still had a little bit of success since 2000, but Marion Local has set the American standard for small school football, let alone football in general over the last 20+ years. 12 titles in 21 seasons is absurd.

Talk about a LITERAL passing of the torch moment. DSJ has still had a little bit of success since 2000, but Marion Local has set the American standard for small school football, let alone football in general over the last 20+ years. 12 titles in 21 seasons is absurd.
And we can give all the success to Coach Cramer as he righted the program and Goodwin has just been riding his coattails since '99 lol

Actually, Marion might owe a debt of gratitude to Goodwin's predecessor.

Had ML not experienced Cramer, with his brash tongue, loud behavior, and less-than-stellar success, they might not have hired an inexperienced 27 year old who was probably somewhat quiet and unassuming during the interview process.

Marion Local has been part of all 3 of the State's longest winning streaks.
- 54 Games: Versailles (Marion was the last team to beat them before their streak started)
- 55 Games: Kirtland (Marion was the last team to beat them before their streak started)
- 57 Games: DSJ (Marion was the team that beat them to stop their streak)
So Marion book-ended one side or the other the 3 longest winning streaks in Ohio High School history

Marion Local has been part of all 3 of the State's longest winning streaks.
- 54 Games: Versailles (Marion was the last team to beat them before their streak started)
- 55 Games: Kirtland (Marion was the last team to beat them before their streak started)
- 57 Games: DSJ (Marion was the team that beat them to stop their streak)
So Marion book-ended one side or the other the 3 longest winning streaks in Ohio High School history
All they need now is to be the OWNER of the streak.

16 in a row. Week 10 of 2024 sound right for 58 in a row assuming Covid22 doesnt shorten a season.

Well, the MAC will be way down next year so Kirtland likely wont run into another MAC team for awhile, unless they drop to 6 and MSML moves up to 6.
Good chance they can get up to around the 55 win mark before the league makes another appearance in the finals.
I remember you saying this exact thing at the end of last season, yet the MAC sent 3 teams to the state finals. The MAC will never be down. We will never be done

All they need now is to be the OWNER of the streak.

16 in a row. Week 10 of 2024 sound right for 58 in a row assuming Covid22 doesnt shorten a season.
I pointed this out elsewhere. The idiotic reaction to this virus shortened Kirtland's season last year. They also lost a game this year. They were 11-0 and should have 15-0 last year. They were 14-1 this year and should have been 15-1. They lost five games and could have had 60 wins.

I remember you saying this exact thing at the end of last season, yet the MAC sent 3 teams to the state finals. The MAC will never be down. We will never be done
Attaboy @thavoice . Hooked another one . . .

I pointed this out elsewhere. The idiotic reaction to this virus shortened Kirtland's season last year. They also lost a game this year. They were 11-0 and should have 15-0 last year. They were 14-1 this year and should have been 15-1. They lost five games and could have had 60 wins.
gosh it is too bad 800,000 dead Americans interfered with a high school football team's streak. What kind of values would those people have to interfere?

gosh it is too bad 800,000 dead Americans interfered with a high school football team's streak. What kind of values would those people have to interfere?
Sports went on just fine after America stopped being scared and started living. He does have a point, but also one could argue they would have been beat last year and the streak never would have gotten to that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.