Division VII State Championship: Maria Stein Marion Local (15-0) vs. Newark Catholic (14-1)

Who wins?

• Marion Local by 17+

Votes: 65 59.6%
  • Marion Local by 8-16

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Marion Local by 1-7

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Newark Catholic by 1-7

Votes: 11 10.1%
  • Newark Catholic by 8-16

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Newark Catholic by 17+

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I guess Newark Catholic shouldn’t even make the trek up North. It is futile. Crown the Flyers right here and now.
NC has a very distinguished FB program, I'm sure their boys will play hard and their coaches are working extra hard this week.... this is the icing on the cake.....i'm going by a comparable game, i think Fort Loramie lost to NC by a couple of points, and ML beat that same loramie team I think by a score of 48-6..... it's going to be a tough game... but who knows.... thats why they play the game....

So I guess Newark Catholic shouldn’t even make the trek up North. It is futile. Crown the Flyers right here and now.
If NC can protect their QB, they will be able to move the football. Flyers sec. although better than earlier in the year can be exposed. Even though I believe you have to be able to run the football in H.S., NC's best chance for a victory is to come out throwing and don't stop.

What type of offense does Newark Catholic run? What is their run/pass ratio typically?
They run a spread and like to throw 70% or more. In the second half of the JFK game, the offense was basically shut down with less than 30 or 40 yards of offense.

Marion Local has made the playoffs every year since 2005. During that stretch they are 70-7 in the playoffs. Of those 7 losses, only 1 was to a non-MAC, non-Kirtland school -- Aaron Craft's Liberty-Benton team. They have 9 state titles and 7 losses in the past 17 postseasons.

I honestly don't have a f'n clue how a small school district generates that type of consistent success. It's unbelievable.
In college, schools like Ohio State and Alabama re-load with “next man up.” At Marion Local and most MAC schools, they re-load with “next sibling or cousin up.” Lots of players currently playing who had older siblings or cousins play and younger siblings and cousins coming up. It’s small town America, but the athletic success in all sports is unlike any place I’ve ever seen. Truly, a unique area.

42-7 now, to no one’s surprise

they aren’t going away anytime soon folks. 70+ kids on the roster. Unless another MAC school steps up this program is almost unstoppable in Div. VII. There just isn’t any program even close.

The schools near NC have over the years gotten a lot better, so attracting talent has been a lot more difficult.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter how many divisions there are. The smallest schools in D1 are always going to complain that there aren't enough divisions, just so they can get themselves knocked down to D2.

Congrats to Marion Local. I have so much appreciation for their dynasty. 12 titles in 22 years. Most in OHSAA history.

I could go on…a senior in college has seen Marion Local win a state title over half the time they’ve been alive. That’s incredible to think about.

Yeah, they gave up a whopping 4 td's in the playoffs.
D7's closest competition for them came from fellow MAC school, St. Henry. Versailles was the closest game all year and that was a 2 point contest.

NC had the right idea and gameplan defensively to stop the run; ML, known for great adjustments on the fly and methodical play-calling, did as they do but through the air is where the punches landed… #1 rule vs ML, don’t commit mistakes.

Offense also had right strategy but not executing when chances, at a premium, were there. Game snowballed by a power of 2 with every mistake and turnover.

Congrats to the Flyers on their state championship. And, congrats to NC on another season that many would clamor to have experienced once.

Attendance:

2001 ML vs Mogadore 9,533
2021 ML vs NC about 4700 (or something very close to that)

Twenty years ago the attendance at the smallest division title game was more than twice what it was this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.