Division II State Championship: Archbishop Hoban (12-3) vs. Winton Woods (12-3)

Who wins?

• Hoban by 17+

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • Hoban by 8-16

Votes: 36 32.4%
  • Hoban by 1-7

Votes: 10 9.0%
  • Winton Woods by 1-7

Votes: 27 24.3%
  • Winton Woods by 8-16

Votes: 14 12.6%
  • Winton Woods by 17+

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Good luck to the Winton Woods Warriors tonight.
See y'all in Canton at HOF.
Win or lose I'm proud of this team.
I have followed closely over the years and this team is one of my favorite WW squads.

Hopefully a decent number of WW fans will be able to make the nearly 4 hour trip on a Thursday night.
With the live stream option many will just watch it at home.
I don't expect a huge crowd at all given these two school's history of making it to the finals several times before.
I grew up in Greenhills and Forest Park but have lived in NE Ohio a long time.
With only a one hour drive down to Canton, no way I'm missin this one.
It would be just lazy not to go lol!

Go Warriors!

Hoban looks to wear you down. They go after the biggest lineman they can reel in,develop them fully and own the line of scrimmage. It's a war of attrition. If WW can neutralize this advantage they can win. Schools like WW and MW can attract a few talented players a year, but essentially all of Hobans roster are transfers. The only thing that will dilute them is when St.V gets their machine rolling again, and it will, alot of money is going into their beautiful new campus. Same reason Ignatius has faded, Edds is drawing the talent. I'm pulling for WW. What an amazing accomplishment their new coach has achieved. Let's go Winton woods!.

Last edited:
I sure wished I could be there tonight rooting for the Avon Eagles to finally get that first championship, but it was not to be this year. Good luck to both Hoban and Winton Woods tonight! There can only be one winner, but I hope it’s a great game.

Good luck Knights in their pursuit of #6 tonight. Heading out early for some dinner with friends and then heading to game. Weather looks great in the 50's and no rain. Looking for a great game

Hoban looks to wear you down. They go after the biggest lineman they can reel in,develop them fully and own the line of scrimmage. It's a war of attrition. If WW can neutralize this advantage they can win. Schools like WW and MW can attract a few talented players a year, but essentially all of Hobans roster are transfers. The only thing that will dilute them is when St.V gets their machine rolling again, and it will, alot of money is going into their beautiful new campus. Same reason Ignatius has faded, Edds is drawing the talent. I'm pulling for WW. What an amazing accomplishment their new coach has achieved. Let's go Winton woods!.

That's what incredibly talented/heavy favorites do. As much if not more so mentally. Takes max effort physically yes, but mentally on point every single snap. It's exhausting.

WW has that pedigree in them though. Hope it shows. And a lucky bounce or break here and there wouldn't hurt. Good luck Warriors!

Last edited:
Can think of 2 starters who are transfers and 1 other starter that is currently ineligible because of the transfer rules. There was 1 other transfer in that was out of state (who does not start). So to say they are a roster full of transfers is a false narrative.

Windy up in Canton area...hopefully it dies down by game time. Some pretty big gusts. If the wind stays...a bigger workload for Sperling...which is not good for WW.

Quite a lazy and flat out mis-informed statement.

Overstated but don't think he meant hs to hs transfer. More like Bergen Catholic to use an extreme example. Call it whatever you want the point is 6-7 titles in an 8 year span is exponentially beyond what any D1 or D2 public could even hope to achieve.

This game feels pretty even to me, to the point that something as simple as who plays cleaner could make all the difference. Back in the day as a HS athlete, I always hated long bus trips on the same day as competition. Personally, sitting on a bus for a few hours just made me feel sluggish leading into a game. I have no idea if the 20 minute trip on a short week gives Hoban a meaningful advantage, it's just something I wonder about. I believe WW came up on Wednesday in 2017, so maybe it doesn't matter even a little bit.
I remember you - scoring four touchdowns in a single game while playing for the Polk High School Panthers in the 1966 city championship game versus Andrew Johnson High School, including the game-winner.

I remember you - scoring four touchdowns in a single game while playing for the Polk High School Panthers in the 1966 city championship game versus Andrew Johnson High School, including the game-winner.
Ha, I played baseball at Polk, a much lesser sport at that famous high school. My senior year, our coach dragged us all over God's green earth trying to play games in better weather. Between the motion sickness and bench seats, it didn't exactly bring out the best in me.

Overstated but don't think he meant hs to hs transfer. More like Bergen Catholic to use an extreme example. Call it whatever you want the point is 6-7 titles in an 8 year span is exponentially beyond what any D1 or D2 public could even hope to achieve.
I thought your school "won" 24 in a 50 year span?

Attachments

• Poor Crowd for Hoban.png
    Poor Crowd for Hoban.png
    998.7 KB · Views: 65