Notre Dame

Pope Francis 1

Bearcats dodge a bullet with ND selection of Marcus Freeman as their new HC. Wish him well as he is a class act!

Big risk, potentially bigger payout. I would say UC isn’t out of the woods yet. There are rumors about Ryan Day being looked at by the NFL, particularly for the Bears job.

Freeman was not the best choice but I'll give him a chance. I knew once the players started pressuring the university it was over. Supposedly they said it was Freeman or bust. No staff member is leaving which is good as well.

Glad an Ohio guy is in charge. Last time that happened they won a title. Lol

Freeman was not the best choice but I'll give him a chance. I knew once the players started pressuring the university it was over. Supposedly they said it was Freeman or bust. No staff member is leaving which is good as well.

I agree, but I really think Fickell is set on being the coach at OSU. Plus, Freeman is an elite recruiter. He’ll absolutely go through some growing pains, including getting an a** kicking week 1 at OSU next yr. However, if he surrounds himself with a solid staff, hopefully, the learning curve won’t be too steep.

Yeah, but what about the time before that? :oops:

Bearcats dodge a bullet with ND selection of Marcus Freeman as their new HC. Wish him well as he is a class act!
Big Fick talked to BK about the Notre Dame administration not being totally committed to competing at the highest level and said " I'm staying at a place where they are committed to competing at the highest level". Freeman is probably their best option now that Luke turned them down. He's a class act, hope he does well and is ready when Ohio State calls him in a couple of years.

Big Fick talked to BK about the Notre Dame administration not being totally committed to competing at the highest level and said " I'm staying at a place where they are committed to competing at the highest level". Freeman is probably their best option now that Luke turned them down. He's a class act, hope he does well and is ready when Ohio State calls him in a couple of years.
Interesting take. I’d be surprised if Fickell turned them down. From what I’ve heard Fickell and Swarbrick talked but it was more about Freeman than it was about Fickell taking the ND job. Likely one of those things that are always rumored but will never be confirmed.

It says a lot about Kelly that none of his assistants wanted to follow him to LSU. Riley did not have this issue heading to USC.
Didn't Kelly run through quite a few OCs and DCs during his 12 years at ND? I know in college football there is a lot of movement, guys go from coordinator's to head coach, but seems there's been plenty of turnover at ND, no doubt from butting heads with BK.

I can now officially start liking ND again!

I told my buddies the same thing last night. There's just no way I could root for a team coached by that slimeball.

If I'm a parent of a recruit, there's no way I trust that guy. He left one team before the biggest bowl game in the program's history, and another team when there's a possibility they could make the playoffs.

I don't feel Notre Dame is the job it once was. Great school, and kids should go there no doubt. But the constraints of the types of students they get really make is next to impossible to win a national championship. Kelly may be the first coach to leave there in his prime because it's just not a way to get the job done.

Interesting take. I’d be surprised if Fickell turned them down. From what I’ve heard Fickell and Swarbrick talked but it was more about Freeman than it was about Fickell taking the ND job. Likely one of those things that are always rumored but will never be confirmed.
Fickell is just a different cat....He may very well be our Frank Beamer. In this day and age of slime ball, self absorbed, mercinary college football coaches he's the exception. Make no exception, Luke's gonna get paid. Word on the street is UC's gonna pony up $7 Mil a year thru 2028 heading into the BIG12. We've run through Dantonio, Kelly, and Jones, but Fickell is gonna' stay and keep building this thing.

I told my buddies the same thing last night. There's just no way I could root for a team coached by that slimeball.

If I'm a parent of a recruit, there's no way I trust that guy. He left one team before the biggest bowl game in the program's history, and another team when there's a possibility they could make the playoffs.
It’s a shame dudes like him get away with the crap they pull and I stopped completely rooting for ND when he became the coach

1638468019311.png

How close were Fickell and Freeman?
Freeman on left… Fickell on right as godfather of Freeman’s baby!

It’s a shame dudes like him get away with the crap they pull and I stopped completely rooting for ND when he became the coach
I've never liked ND, but loathed them that much more when he got there. While I wished we could have lured Freeman to Columbus as a DC, I will root for him to do well.

Fickell is just a different cat....He may very well be our Frank Beamer. In this day and age of slime ball, self absorbed, mercinary college football coaches he's the exception. Make no exception, Luke's gonna get paid. Word on the street is UC's gonna pony up $7 Mil a year thru 2028 heading into the BIG12. We've run through Dantonio, Kelly, and Jones, but Fickell is gonna' stay and keep building this thing.
I get the same vibes, but if Ohio St becomes available and the Buckeyes want him, he's as good as gone. If/when he does leave, I think he'll go the way Scott Frost did at UCF or the guy at Louisiana now, where he finishes the job he's currently at, while also working for the new position he accepts.

I don't feel Notre Dame is the job it once was. Great school, and kids should go there no doubt. But the constraints of the types of students they get really make is next to impossible to win a national championship. Kelly may be the first coach to leave there in his prime because it's just not a way to get the job done.
Freeman is one of the best recruiters in the country. I’d say that’s the biggest reason he got the job, bc he’s one of the few coaches that can shrink (not close) that talent gap bw Bama, UGA, OSU,etc. ND will never be as deep as those teams but when it comes to the starting 22, they might be able to get close enough where they can win a playoff game.

I've never liked ND, but loathed them that much more when he got there. While I wished we could have lured Freeman to Columbus as a DC, I will root for him to do well.
I always rooted hard for ND unless they were playing the Buckeyes. When Kelly did Kelly stuff and came to ND I completely stopped watching them. I wish Freeman all the best except when they play the Buckeyes and I hope I can regain the feeling I had for ND pre Kelly

I get the same vibes, but if Ohio St becomes available and the Buckeyes want him, he's as good as gone. If/when he does leave, I think he'll go the way Scott Frost did at UCF or the guy at Louisiana now, where he finishes the job he's currently at, while also working for the new position he accepts.
That’s bc the OSU job is only going to open AFTER the NFL season.

Freeman is one of the best recruiters in the country. I’d say that’s the biggest reason he got the job, bc he’s one of the few coaches that can shrink (not close) that talent gap bw Bama, UGA, OSU,etc. ND will never be as deep as those teams but when it comes to the starting 22, they might be able to get close enough where they can win a playoff game.
I've heard that, and for ND, recruiting the top talent is so critical. It's kind of sad to say but the kids that go to Stanford, ND, Northwestern is there as much or more for the degree than football. At many of the other football factories the only goal is the NFL. I've long said college football lost it's way decades ago. It's too bad there isn't an NFL G league like the NBA has. It's just so hypocritical to see these claim to be college students and the crappy degrees they go after just so they can play sports.

That’s bc the OSU job is only going to open AFTER the NFL season.
Not necessarily. It likely won't open up before then, but I'm saying if OSU opened up right now, he would stick it out with the Bearcats at least until after Saturday's game.

I've heard that, and for ND, recruiting the top talent is so critical. It's kind of sad to say but the kids that go to Stanford, ND, Northwestern is there as much or more for the degree than football. At many of the other football factories the only goal is the NFL. I've long said college football lost it's way decades ago. It's too bad there isn't an NFL G league like the NBA has. It's just so hypocritical to see these claim to be college students and the crappy degrees they go after just so they can play sports.
It’s a tough sell. You need teenagers to be level headed and give thought about life after football.
Plus, when you actually get on campus, you have to do the work. There’s not a lot of fun to be had and if you’re at NW or ND, you spend 2/3 of the academic year in crappy weather.

Not necessarily. It likely won't open up before then, but I'm saying if OSU opened up right now, he would stick it out with the Bearcats at least until after Saturday's game.
He might, but the reality is sans a major scandal, Day is leaving for an NFL job. There’s no rush for NFL teams to name a new HC before the season ends.

He might, but the reality is sans a major scandal, Day is leaving for an NFL job. There’s no rush for NFL teams to name a new HC before the season ends.
Based on what? I agree he'll get there eventually, but what tells you he's a goner already?

Selective amnesia about the era between Jones and Fickell? I guess getting blasted over the head repeatedly by the likes of USF will do that to you.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

Selective amnesia about the era between Jones and Fickell? I guess getting blasted over the head repeatedly by the likes of USF will do that to you.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …
Tuberville didn't come here to win. He came here to relax and make his wife happy, possibly retire. The other guys on your list were here to win and potentially move up the ranks as they won. I have no doubt Fickell will get the call from Ohio St at some point, probably sooner rather than later, but big difference between those up and coming coaches and Tuberville. Additionally UC is back to being one of the best non P5 football programs right now as they were under Kelly.