Division IV State Championship: Clarksville Clinton-Massie (13-1) vs. Youngstown Ursuline (11-3)

Who wins the Division IV State Championship?

• Clarksville Clinton-Massie by 17+

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Clarksville Clinton-Massie by 8-16

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • Clarksville Clinton-Massie by 1-7

Votes: 20 27.0%
  • Youngstown Ursuline by 1-7

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • Youngstown Ursuline by 8-16

Votes: 17 23.0%
  • Youngstown Ursuline by 17+

Votes: 6 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

InTheYo

Division IV State Championship
Clarksville Clinton-Massie (13-1) vs. Youngstown Ursuline (11-3)
Tom Benson Stadium
Friday, December 3rd at 10:30am

Clarksville Clinton-Maddie has two state football titles with wins in 2012 and 2013. The 2013 win was over Youngstown Cardinal Mooney. Youngstown Ursuline has four state football titles with wins in 2000, 2008, 2009, and 2010.

Congratulations to the Irish for getting to the final and good luck winning the championship.

C-M is an excellent program but it is very difficult to contain this Irish offense for 4 quarters as they have so many weapons. I admit I have not seen C-M this season but historically they have been a power running ball-control offense and IMO they will have to be able to do just that to win this game. Control the LOS and thereby TOP to keep the Irish O off the field limiting their number of possessions and finish long time-consuming drives with TDs. Having said that I don't think they will be able to contain Ursuline's offense enough to beat them. The Irish special teams are still a concern for me though. We shall soon see.

If Ursuline does win this game, in addition to giving them their 5th state title, it would be their 50th playoff victory. Lakewood St. Edward & Versailles joined the 50-win club this season and an Irish victory would make them only the 17th team to win at least 50 playoff games.

Hoping for a great game with no injuries. Good luck to both teams.

GO IRISH!!

Congratulations to the Irish for getting to the final and good luck winning the championship.

C-M is an excellent program but it is very difficult to contain this Irish offense for 4 quarters as they have so many weapons. I admit I have not seen C-M this season but historically they have been a power running ball-control offense and IMO they will have to be able to do just that to win this game. Control the LOS and thereby TOP to keep the Irish O off the field limiting their number of possessions and finish long time-consuming drives with TDs. Having said that I don't think they will be able to contain Ursuline's offense enough to beat them. The Irish special teams are still a concern for me though. We shall soon see.

If Ursuline does win this game, in addition to giving them their 5th state title, it would be their 50th playoff victory. Lakewood St. Edward & Versailles joined the 50-win club this season and an Irish victory would make them only the 17th team to win at least 50 playoff games.

GO IRISH!!
Everything you say CM needs to do to win, is exactly what they do every week. With this over achieving bunch of kids, I will take CM by a TD. They have proven me wrong for 2 yrs. They just win! This is coming from someone who isn't a big fan, but they just win.

CM will have to jump out early and score big, then control the tempo and keep Ursuline O off the field. That is how CHARDON beat them early season. I think Ursuline has improved since then, there Offense was IMO the best that we seen all year long…. These guys are explosive and can score quickly! Best of luck to both teams….

Clinton Massie is a Chardon or Kirtland type of team. Especially on offense. #34, #6, #20 & QB #2 will all touch the ball in this offense. If #34 -FB gets going, it could be a long night for Ursuline.

I know Ursulines D has played better as of late, but I think this is a shoot-out. Ursuline 42-35 would be my pick but I think it’s a toss-up.

I know Ursulines D has played better as of late, but I think this is a shoot-out. Ursuline 42-35 would be my pick but I think it’s a toss-up.
I agree, this will be a big score shootout…. Ursuline’s D will give up some plays but the O will cover them…..

GO IRISH!!
The OHSAA has Ursuline's all-time playoff record at 43-7 through 2020. If that is accurate, they are sitting on 48 playoff wins.

The OHSAA has Ursuline's all-time playoff record at 43-7 through 2020. If that is accurate, they are sitting on 48 playoff wins.
Then again......... a 43-7 playoff record with 21 playoff appearances would mean that they won 14 state titles. :) :) :)
I'll trust your records before those on the OHSAA website.
Below is the OHSAA information..........
Youngstwn Ursuline - PLAYOFF APPEARANCES (21) - 2020, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010 (1st), 2009 (1st), 2008 (1st), 2007 (2nd), 2004, 2002, 2000 (1st), 1998, 1996, 1995, 1993, 1992, 1990, 1989, 1984, 1983 LAST APPEARANCE - 2020 PLAYOFF RECORD - 43-7 STATE CHAMP - 4 (10, 09, 08, 00) STATE RUNNER-UP 1 (2007) STATE SEMIFINAL 9 (15, 10, 09, 08, 07, 02, 00, 93, 83)

Somehow OHSAA is missing one Ursuline win somewhere along the line and as you correctly noted they obviously do not have only 7 losses, they have 17.

Ursuline playoff victories through 2020:

1983 - 1 win (Steubenville)
1989 - 1 win (Painesville Harvey)
1992 - 1 win (Twinsburg Chamberlain)
1993 - 2 wins (Bellaire & Champion)
1998 - 1 win (Martins Ferry)
2000 - 5 wins (Aurora, Akron Manchester, Perry, Newark Licking Valley & Coldwater)
2002 - 3 wins (Akron Manchester, E. Palestine & Girard)
2004 - 1 win (Akron Manchester)
2007 - 4 wins (Bedford Chanel, Applecreek Waynedale, South Range & Columbus Ready)
2008 - 5 wins (Cuyahoga Hts., Gates Mills Gilmour, Kirtland, Baltimore Liberty Union & Findlay Liberty-Benton)
2009 - 5 wins (Garfield Hts. Trinity, Columbiana Crestview, Cuyahoga Hts., W. Lafayette Ridgewood & Coldwater)
2010 - 5 wins (South Range, Creston Norwayne, Kirtland, Lima Central Catholic & Coldwater)
2012 - 2 wins (Sugarcreek Garaway & Cuyahoga Hts.)
2014 - 2 wins (United Local & Liberty)
2015 - 3 wins (Chardon NDCL, Peninsula Woodridge & Mantua Crestwood)
2020 - 3 wins (Cleveland VASJ, W. Branch & Poland)

Even at OHSAA that adds up to 44 wins. :) Add in the 5 wins so far this year and they have a 49-17 playoff record currently.

GO IRISH!!

Everything you say CM needs to do to win, is exactly what they do every week. With this over achieving bunch of kids, I will take CM by a TD. They have proven me wrong for 2 yrs. They just win! This is coming from someone who isn't a big fan, but they just win.
I agree with you sir. That is what they do and IMO they will have to do that successfully to have a chance of winning this game. I am not saying at all that they are not capable of doing so. As I said above I have not seen them this season but I did see their 3 state championship games. In the first two they did control the TOP but I'm thinking of the Steubenville game in particular. Massie did not win the TOP battle in that game, maybe at least partially due to the fact that they had a KO and punt return for TDs. In any case they did not do a good enough job of keeping Steubenville's offense off the field and Big Red hung 50 on them. If Massie does not keep this Ursuline offense off the field the Irish are capable of doing something similar. Of course that's just my opinion. We shall see.

Again, good luck to both teams.

GO IRISH!!

Last edited:
What is the strength of the CM defense? If they can get pressure with 4 they will give Ursuline problems, if I’m Ursuline I try to get their workhorse going in McElroy, the best player on the team with the ball in his hands

Because of CM's style of offense they cannot fall behind by more than 2 scores. Ursuline's D has played better of late and offensively is extremely balanced. Ursuline 42-28

Easier to cover from mistakes if you can score quickly like Ursuline. Cold weather might favor CM. Seems like both teams have unstoppable offense, good enough defense, and questionable special teams. I’ll take CM in a shootout, 45-42.

Last edited:
Somehow OHSAA is missing one Ursuline win somewhere along the line and as you correctly noted they obviously do not have only 7 losses, they have 17.

Ursuline playoff victories through 2020:

1983 - 1 win (Steubenville)
1989 - 1 win (Painesville Harvey)
1992 - 1 win (Twinsburg Chamberlain)
1993 - 2 wins (Bellaire & Champion)
1998 - 1 win (Martins Ferry)
2000 - 5 wins (Aurora, Akron Manchester, Perry, Newark Licking Valley & Coldwater)
2002 - 3 wins (Akron Manchester, E. Palestine & Girard)
2004 - 1 win (Akron Manchester)
2007 - 4 wins (Bedford Chanel, Applecreek Waynedale, South Range & Columbus Ready)
2008 - 5 wins (Cuyahoga Hts., Gates Mills Gilmour, Kirtland, Baltimore Liberty Union & Findlay Liberty-Benton)
2009 - 5 wins (Garfield Hts. Trinity, Columbiana Crestview, Cuyahoga Hts., W. Lafayette Ridgewood & Coldwater)
2010 - 5 wins (South Range, Creston Norwayne, Kirtland, Lima Central Catholic & Coldwater)
2012 - 2 wins (Sugarcreek Garaway & Cuyahoga Hts.)
2014 - 2 wins (United Local & Liberty)
2015 - 3 wins (Chardon NDCL, Peninsula Woodridge & Mantua Crestwood)
2020 - 3 wins (Cleveland VASJ, W. Branch & Poland)

Even at OHSAA that adds up to 44 wins. :) Add in the 5 wins so far this year and they have a 49-17 playoff record currently.

GO IRISH!!
16 appearances with 4 titles. Wouldn't be 12 losses? 49-12 playoff record?

GO IRISH!!
Kirtland joined that 50 playoff win club this year also.

16 appearances with 4 titles. Wouldn't be 12 losses? 49-12 playoff record?
Coming into this postseason they had 21 appearances with 4 titles. I was only showing their 44 wins in response to RedEagle's post. I did not list any of their losses including those years they lost in the first round. They are now 49-17.

Kirtland joined that 50 playoff win club this year also.
Yes they did, back in week 11. Kettering Alter did also. My bad for not mentioning them with the others that did it this year.

Last edited:
Great comparison to Massie and Chardon. Not so much in scheme but in culture and patience. I watched the Ursuline Hartley game at the beginning of the year and the Hartley line was moving Ursuline at will. Granted, Hartley is Hartley. They are elite up front also. Now, that was the first week of the season, so I'm sure Ursuline has improved since, proof being with the late surge against Chardon.

I just don't think Ursuline has the guys up front to do it. Chardon ate them alive before they started sleep walking in the 3rd quarter. Ursuline won't have more than 9 possessions this game. Have to make them count.

Massie 38 Ursuline 30