Division III State Semifinal: Chardon (14-0) vs West Holmes (14-0)

Who wins?

• Chardon by 17+

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Chardon by 8-16

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • Chardon by 1-7

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • West Holmes by 1-7

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • West Holmes by 8-16

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • West Holmes by 17+

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Chardon is the favorite for good reason and will probably take this game. I’m not sure the WH defense can get their offense off the field. But I can promise you that by the end of the game the WH offense will have caught your attention. SWD will hit 3-4 big plays and the rest of them are talented enough to put together a couple long drives to keep it close. These are the 2 best D3 teams in the state. 32-26 Chardon

Last edited:
Chardon is the favorite for good reason and will probably take this game. I’m not sure the WH defense can get their offense off the field. But I can promise you that by the end of the game the WH offense will have caught your attention. SWD will hit 3-4 big plays a rest of them are talented enough to put together a couple long drives to keep it close. These are the 2 best D3 teams in the state. 32-26 Chardon
Agree these are 2 of the best… I think Badin is legit too although I don’t know much about who they’re playing tbh.

i havent seen wh play .i.m sure they are undefeated for a reason. ive watched chardon alot this year, i still dont know how good they are . the games i watched just seemed to get out of control fast and chardon took over. a five minute swing in each one decided the game . wh has to figure out how to get the ball away from chardon if they can it will be a great game, if not then not.
These are great points. Chardon chokes the life out of teams on offense & which makes their already incredibly physical D even better because it speeds up the game. As has been said earlier, West Holmes system was born out of the Dover family tree. What do they do - score. How do they do it? Whatever way they can. And quickly. They'll run out of spread, they'll throw out of spread, they'll run power lead. They've shown willingness to adjust to whatever they think will work & then flip it in mid-game. And, surprising for a team from that area, they have the personnel to do it.

Their Dline is mostly about keeping the LBs clean & that plays into the Toppers MO perfectly. Wouldn't be surprised to see WH go total spread and keep everything wide/deep to start to avoid the strength of Toppers D. Don't know if WH has enough D to stop Toppers from doing what they want in the tackle box.

I could see this being a 1-2 score game going into 4th and then Chardon getting a defensive stand/long drive to salt it away. We may eventually call this the "first" game because both rosters look likely to make similar runs in 22.

From Sam Houseworth rankings.
D-III

Is this St. Marys’ year? Let’s get one thing out of the way first, it’s hard to picture anybody beating Chardon, who would be favored even in D-II. But if not the Hilltoppers, then who? Well, probably the winner of Badin vs. St. Marys. The Roughriders have made it 7 straight seasons with a postseason win while the Rams have been in the state championship conversation each of those years, only to fall to Alter or Trotwood deep in the playoffs. With name spoiler remaining, this should be their year.

Calpreps projections
Chardon28 Winton Woods 14
Chardon 31 Green 12
Chardon 26 Hoban 24
Avon 31 Chardon 28
Chardon would be very competitive in DII(they did win a state title in 94 to prove that)

D-III

Is this St. Marys’ year? Let’s get one thing out of the way first, it’s hard to picture anybody beating Chardon, who would be favored even in D-II. But if not the Hilltoppers, then who? Well, probably the winner of Badin vs. St. Marys. The Roughriders have made it 7 straight seasons with a postseason win while the Rams have been in the state championship conversation each of those years, only to fall to Alter or Trotwood deep in the playoffs. With name spoiler remaining, this should be their year.

Calpreps projections
Chardon 31 Green 12
Chardon 26 Hoban 24
Avon 31 Chardon 28
Chardon would be very competitive in DII(they did win a state title in 94 to prove that)
Didn't St. Mary's just lose 45-10? Probably not their year.

I think most people believe Chardon is the favorite not only in this game, but to repeat for the state title. Maybe it gets ugly but I think that would be more a testament to how good Chardon is and not a knock on WH.

As for WH, their best shot is SWD causing havoc. The kid is really good. I said it in another thread he reminds me a lot of Mentor's Evan Harper in how they could use him either in the backfield or at WR... also a mix of Ty Howard/Kentrell Marks (two other D1 caliber guys i saw this year). He is that good and only a sophomore.

Hes the type of talent that can play on any team in the state, and while they have some other good players, he absolutely will have to put his team on his shoulders this week for WH to shock everyone.

D-III

Calpreps projections
Chardon 31 Green 12
Chardon 26 Hoban 24
Avon 31 Chardon 28
I really believe we would have won the d2 title in 2016 had Lynn Bowden not gone crazy. He was not the same player the next week and it wasn't because Hudson was better than us defensively. We were loaded on both sides of the ball and Bowden put on a freak show.

Seeing both teams play, seen a lot of West Holmes high lights, watched Holy Name game, Mansfield highlights.

Seen Chardon vs Dover game and other highlights..

Eye test for me.
-Chardon reminds me of a D2 team.
Chardon is cut from the same mold as Bishop Hartley, Clinton Massie, Kirtland, Kettering Alter, Ironton.

-West Holmes reminds me of a D4 team.
WH is cut from the Dover, Garaway, West Branch styles either now or in the past.

-West Holmes reminds me a lot of Cincinnati McNicholas (lost 27-28 to Clinton Massie);
- I believe they have a sophomore QB.

West Holmes reminds me of Chagrin Falls Kenston in some aspects. Extremely Speedy RB, QB can run or throw. Really good QB pocket awareness, throw on the run great offense but defense not so great against the run.

Now anyone can beat anyone on a given night for a myriad of reasons.

Everyone see Badin and Chardon in the State Finals but I see Chardon vs Granville.

Granville has the most impressive wins besides Chardon’s.
And Granville reminds me of a West Holmes with bigger , stronger kids. They also look like a potential D2 team to me.

Chardon just overwhelms teams, coaching staffs and the wr’s drop passes because they get “shook” . They are not used to the team speed or physicality play after play with no drop off.

Chardon if anything is in shape. And Chardon’s 4Q tempo is just as strong as it’s 1st Q tempo which reminds me of Steubenville. Always in shape despite talent disparities or win/loss record from year to year.

Ready for this game I’ll be attending in some form.
I won’t be upset if I’m wrong either.

Last edited:
The 2021 Chardon football team was looked at like it was confetti left on the field last November at Massillon’s Paul Brown Stadium.

They were looked at as the aftermath.

“The forgotten class,” as Coach Mitch Hewitt called them.

The leftovers from a storybook 2020 season in which the Hilltoppers defeated Columbus DeSales in a thrilling overtime game for the Division III state championship.

Oh, what a miscalculation that notion has been.

To the surprise of many — maybe even to Hewitt himself — the Chardon Hilltoppers have won 14 straight this season and will play West Holmes in a Division III state semifinal on Nov. 26 at Twinsburg’s Tiger Stadium.

“Oh, by far and away,” Hewitt said when asked if his team exceeded expectations this season.

The 2021 Hilltoppers have tied a program record for most wins in a season with 14, matching the 1994 state championship team. They’ve run the current winning streak to 26 games, dating to last year’s 12-0 state-title squad.

“And the mission isn’t complete yet,” Hewitt said. “The thing is, the 2020 team EXPECTED to win it. Their only concern was if they’d get an opportunity (because of the coronavirus pandemic).

“I don’t think anybody thought we’d be practicing on Thanksgiving this year, and if we did, it wouldn’t be with an unblemished record. This group did it with a bull’s-eye on their back all year, too.”

That bull’s-eye will be there again on Nov. 26 when West Holmes — making its first state final four appearance — throws its hat into the ring as a challenger to the Hilltoppers’ state title defense and 26-game winning streak.

The Knights have outscored the opposition by an average of 39-17 this season. They are coming off a 31-21 win over Holy Name in the Region 10 championship game.

Following the regional final, coach Zach Gardner told his team, “We’re going to enjoy every minute of this, but by no means are we finished.”

The fifth-year coach elaborated earlier this week in a story written by thebargainhunter.com.

“We’re focused,” Gardner said. “Our kids understand where we’re at, and they understand the task that we have. We’re excited. It’s one of those measuring sticks to see where the program’s at. We told the kids, ‘If you want to be the state champion, you’ve got to beat the state champion at some point,’ and that’s what we have before us.”

West Holmes has leaned heavily on sophomore running back Sam Williams-Dixon. The 6-foot, 194-pounder has carried 241 times for 1,505 yards (a 6.24-yard average) and 25 touchdowns. He is also the team’s leading receiver with 53 catches for 976 yards (an 18.4-yard average) and 10 scores. Williams-Dixon also has a defensive score, giving him a program-record 36 touchdowns this year.

“He’s 70 percent of their offense,” Hewitt said. “They move him around, motion him in, motion him out, put him at receiver. They do a really nice job with him.

“Obviously, the thing we have to do is contain him. But they have other weapons, too.”

Such as quarterback Noah Clark, the East District’s offensive player of the year. Clark has thrown for 2,819 yards and 27 touchdowns against only five interceptions.

Garrett Eastep (51 catches, 819 yards, 10 TDs) and Tucker Kaufman (40-591-6) also have big numbers in the passing game.

Chardon counters with two 1,000-yard rushers in quarterback Alex Henry (1,191 yards, 20 TDs) and Sean Carr (1,016 yards, 23 TDs). Henry has also thrown for 745 yards and seven scores.

Hewitt said the linchpin of Chardon’s success this year offensively has been the revamped offensive line that, aside from tight end Alex McDonald, is brand new this year. Aidan Ishay (6-foot, 240), Logan Bryant (6-0, 245), T.J. Altman (5-11, 215), Adam Jackson (5-11, 230) and Simon Rodriguez (6-0, 240) are all first-time varsity starters.

“That’s all Coach O,” Hewitt said of line coach Bill Overton. “He’s one of a kind. He has as much passion today as he did when he started here in 1973. He has a charm, talent and connection that has transcended over the decades.”

Overcoming adversity has been the trademark of the Hilltoppers this season, and not just because they had to replace all but two starters on offense and three starters on defense from last year’s championship team.

Chardon played a gantlet of teams this year, including a nonconference quartet of Glenville, Akron Buchtel, Youngstown Ursuline and New Philadelphia, not to mention a rugged Western Reserve Conference slate.

The Region 9 run was arguably the toughest in the state, too.

RELATED ARTICLES​

The next challenge is a West Holmes team riding the high of the program’s state final four bid.

“Does our experience help? I think so,” Hewitt said of last year’s state championship run, as well as this year’s rugged schedule. “Our kids have been in this before. (West Holmes) has probably gotten more media coverage, calls, pats on the back and attention they’ve ever gotten. Rightfully so. Our kids have dealt with this bullseye for the last 26 weeks.

“We’re going to have to play very well this week to keep this thing going.”

Chardon vs. West Holmes​

What: Division III state semifinal

When: 7 p.m., Nov. 26

Where: Twinsburg Tiger Stadium

Records: Chardon 14-0, West Holmes 14-0

Chardon’s playoff path: Defeated Akron East, 38-7, def. Streetsboro, 63-7, def. Canfield, 27-14, def. Dover, 31-3

West Holmes’ playoff path: Def. Sylvania Southview, 60-14, def. Tiffin Columbian,28-25, def. Rocky River, 51-28, def. Holy Name, 31-21

On deck: Winner advances to the state championship game to play the winner of Hamilton Badin (13-0) and Granville (13-0) at 3 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 3.

Seeing both teams play, seen a lot of West Holmes high lights, watched Holy Name game, Mansfield highlights.

Seen Chardon vs Dover game and other highlights..

Eye test for me.
-Chardon reminds me of a D2 team.
Chardon is cut from the same mold as Bishop Hartley, Clinton Massie, Kirtland, Kettering Alter, Ironton.

-West Holmes reminds me of a D4 team.
WH is cut from the Dover, Garaway, West Branch styles either now or in the past.

-West Holmes reminds me a lot of Cincinnati McNicholas (lost 27-28 to Clinton Massie);
- I believe they have a sophomore QB.

West Holmes reminds me of Chagrin Falls Kenston in some aspects. Extremely Speedy RB, QB can run or throw. Really good QB pocket awareness, throw on the run great offense but defense not so great against the run.

Now anyone can beat anyone on a given night for a myriad of reasons.

Everyone see Badin and Chardon in the State Finals but I see Chardon vs Granville.

Granville has the most impressive wins besides Chardon’s.
And Granville reminds me of a West Holmes with bigger , stronger kids. They also look like a potential D2 team to me.

Chardon just overwhelms teams, coaching staffs and the wr’s drop passes because they get “shook” . They are not used to the team speed or physicality play after play with no drop off.

Chardon if anything is in shape. And Chardon’s 4Q tempo is just as strong as it’s 1st Q tempo which reminds me of Steubenville. Always in shape despite talent disparities or win/loss record from year to year.

Ready for this game I’ll be attending in some form.
I won’t be upset if I’m wrong either.
I agree with everything g you said except that WH reminds you of a D4 team. They’re 14-0 and where they are for a reason. I’m not sure how to take that comment except as an insult to them. Basically, I think you’re trying to say that Chardon is as good as the D2 semi finalists and if you could replace them with Dover in the D3 semis then it would be a really evenly matched group of 4 outstanding teams…just not dynasty level teams. But WH would flatten West Branch and Garaway and Ursuline this year - no offense to those teams but they’re a little smaller.

My pick is Chardon and I don’t expect it to be close. Chardon is close to being a machine, does nothing to beat themselves and played in the most competitive region in all divisions in all of the state. And it’s not close.

I was in attendance for Clarrett’s beat down of St. Ed’s. Believe that playoff game was at Kent St. Unbelievable game. Dominating performance. Then , later, along comes Bowden and I first saw him earlier when he was at Liberty and beat my grandsons team.

I agree with everything g you said except that WH reminds you of a D4 team. They’re 14-0 and where they are for a reason. I’m not sure how to take that comment except as an insult to them. Basically, I think you’re trying to say that Chardon is as good as the D2 semi finalists and if you could replace them with Dover in the D3 semis then it would be a really evenly matched group of 4 outstanding teams…just not dynasty level teams. But WH would flatten West Branch and Garaway and Ursuline this year - no offense to those teams but they’re a little smaller.
Not meant as a insult. Just how I see things.

Not a Dover fan or alum. (But , put Dover in R10 and West Holmes in R9) and Dover would be in the State Semi Finals.

Just going on what my eyes see.
I’m glad West Holmes fans are confident. I hope their team plays hard.
It wouldn’t bother me if they win and I’m 110% dead wrong.
Just a opinion.
If you want brutal honesty. If West Holmes is in Region 9 , I really don’t think they get near the Championship game in R9

West Holmes, imo, will lose the game because of their run defense and limited opportunities on offense.
I really like West Holmes HC and community. Seems like a great coach who will do great things there.

Last edited:
Not meant as a insult. Just how I see things.
Not a Dover fan or alum. (But , put Dover in R10 and West Holmes in R9) and Dover would be in the State Semi Finals.
Just going on what my eyes see.
I’m glad West Holmes fans are confident. I hope their team plays hard.
It wouldn’t bother me if they win and I’m 110% dead wrong.
Just a opinion.
If you want brutal honesty. If West Holmes is in Region 9 , I really don’t think they get near the Championship game in R9
I agree, if West Holmes was in region 9, they would have to get past some combination of Chardon, Aurora, Dover, Canfield, SV-SM, Kenston, Steubenville and Hubbard. West Holmes actually could have easily lost in the first round in region 9 depending on their draw. If you put any one of the top 4 or 5 teams from region 9 in region 10, they probably don't make it out either.

What is with all the Clarett,Bowden,WGH crap on this thread??
Go start a WGH fan boy thread!

WH will not score 10pts tonite,Chardon rolls

I agree, if West Holmes was in region 9, they would have to get past some combination of Chardon, Aurora, Dover, Canfield, SV-SM, Kenston, Steubenville and Hubbard. West Holmes actually could have easily lost in the first round in region 9 depending on their draw. If you put any one of the top 4 or 5 teams from region 9 in region 10, they probably don't make it out either.

It’s pretty crazy that Dover played all these teams except Hubbard. Great barometer for the region.

I hope it's a good game, but I think your gonna see a score like last year against Columbian in the semis. Something like 47-7. There might be at least 7 teams on Chardon's schedule that are more formidable...hoping I'm wrong. Good luck to both teams.

Was never going to drive to Twinsburg but all this banter has convinced me to buy the stream.

For anyone there, if you get cold let me know & ill pour some more “warmth” on your behalf

Anyone know if you buy a game at OHSAA can you switch games as much as you want or your locked into game even if blowout?

Anyone know if you buy a game at OHSAA can you switch games as much as you want or your locked into game even if blowout?
Nope you only get the game you bought. I’m kinda waiting around to see if any look good and then buy the 2nd half. Didn’t want to buy a blow out