Division II State Semifinal: Winton Woods (11-3) vs Uniontown Green (11-3)

Who wins?

• Winton Woods by 17+

Votes: 32 32.0%
  • Winton Woods by 8-16

Votes: 32 32.0%
  • Winton Woods by 1-7

Votes: 13 13.0%
  • Green by 1-7

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • Green by 8-16

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Green by 17+

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So in your post arguing that Massillon was not outplayed, you decide to post a stat showing that Green ran more plays and had more yards of total offense than Massillon did?

Doesn't this undermine your

Did it translate into a dominant time of possession?:

AGAIN, the referees determined the outcome of the game. If not for a final turnover and missed PI call, Green had lost the game because of refereeing that wiped out a 3 TD advantage with calls at advantageous times, that allowed Green to receive scoing opportunities or stop Massillon.

Possession Time Green Massillon
24:28 23:32
1st Quarter 5:43 6:17
2nd Quarter 6:06 5:54
3rd Quarter 4:47 7;13
4th Quarter 7:53 4:08

DISPUTE THIS ANALYSIS OF THE GAME WITH VIDEO THAT VALIDATES IT.

IT'S CRYSTAL CLEAR HOW THIS GAME WAS DECIDED!

NEWS
In regional final playoff action No. 4 Massillon lost to No. 7 Green, 26-25, finishing the season with an 11-3 record. The game was played at Mansfield’s Arlin Field Stadium.

The Tigers were favored in this one but lost with less than a minute remaining when Green’s Trevor Van Horn connected with Trey Martin for a 16-yard touchdown pass. Green advances to the state semifinals where they will face Cincinnati Winton Woods. The other semifinal pits defending champion Akron Hoban against Avon.

All-in-all it was a good game spoiled by some unfortunate referee calls. Right from the start there were issues. On Green’s second play from scrimmage, Van Horn threw a sideways screen pass that was dropped by the receiver. The referee closest to the play ruled it incomplete, but the side judge on the far side of the field called it a backward pass and a fumble, which Massillon then recovered. The Tigers would score the opening points a few plays later, but only after the Bulldog head coach was assessed a 15-yard penalty for disputing the call. A review of the film shows that the pass was thrown parallel to the line of scrimmage and was thus incomplete.

In the second quarter Green had the ball at the Massillon ten facing a fourth down and a half yard to go. Van Horn tried a quarterback sneak but was stopped dead in his tracks. But the side judge ruled that he had advanced a full yard and awarded the Bulldogs a first down, overruling the ref on the opposite side of the field, who was closer to the play. That led to Green’s first touchdown.

But the coup de gras came with 24 seconds left in the game. Green was behind 25-19 on the scoreboard and was facing a 4th and 10 at the Massillon 25 . It was undoubtedly the play that would decide the game. Martin lined up near the right sideline and headed straight for the end zone looking to high top the ball and score. Zahnii Berry was on defense but ended up trailing Martin by about a yard. At the one yard line Martin stepped out of bounds with his right foot, which would have made him an ineligible receiver, unless he was pushed out, which he was not . He stepped out again with his right foot after he had crossed the goal line. Now in position to catch the ball at the corner of the end zone he was challenged by safety Austin Brawley, who had beat him to the spot, jumped straight up and intercepted the pass, as ruled by the back judge, who was standing five yards from the catch. It was a clean play as neither player interfered with the other. But the side judge, who was some twenty yards away from the play ruled that one of the Tiger players had interfered. Ironically, it was his fifth pass interference call against Massillon. The side judge also failed to drop his hat at the spot where Martin had stepped out of bounds to indicate such. The penalty gave Green new life and they scored the winning points two plays later.

In all, the two teams were flagged a combined 30 times, 20 against Massillon and 10 against Green. Inexcusable, considering both teams were good enough this year to advance to a regional finals game and were not highly-penalized teams. What ever happened to letting the kids sort it out on the field? So it was indeed a good game spoiled by some bad referees.

As expected, Massillon was certainly a tough out in the playoffs. It took a career effort from Van Horn to bring his team to victory. He threw a whopping 57 passes and completed 31 for 276 yards and four touchdowns. Ten of the passes went to Martin, for 129 yards and three scores. Obviously, Green knew they wouldn’t be able to run the ball (26 carries for 54 yards), so they resorted to using an empty backfield formation (5 wide receivers) exclusively throughout the game. The 57 passes were most ever thrown against Massillon in a single game.

The Tigers’ game plan was to run the ball and found success with quarterback Darrius McElroy, who carried 20 times for 136 yards and scored all three touchdowns. Shane Rue also added a field goal, his eighth of the season. But the base first down scheme, which involved 23 runs and just two passes, struggled since Green was blitzing their middle linebackers each time. As a result, Massillon’s longest drive less penalties was just 37 yards. But it wasn’t for lack of effort that they lost the game. The Tigers gave it their all from start to finish.

“Congratulations to Green as they move forward in the state playoffs,” said Massillon Head Coach Nate Moore in his opening remarks at the final Booster Club meeting. “Unfortunately we couldn’t get it done in spite of a great effort. It was a great play when Austin picked off the ball at the end. But we didn’t make enough plays to overcome twenty penalties.”

Stats:
  • Jalen Slaughter – 5 for 11 passing for 41 yards
  • Darrius McElroy – 2 of 5 passing for 5 yards; 20 carries for 136 yards and 3 touchdowns; 4 punts for 34.5 ave.
  • Freddie Lenix Jr. – 14 carries for 67 yards
  • Austin Brawley – 3 receptions for 11 yards; 6 kick returns for 77 yards; pass interception
  • Camden Beasley – 8.5 (8-1) tackle points
  • Maverick Clark – 8.0 (5-6) tackle points
  • Ressieo Kirksey – 1.5 tackles for loss; 1 sack
Coach Moore brought all of his senior team leaders to the meeting. They included:
  • Austin Brawley – wide receiver / safety
  • Riley Campbell – wide receiver / defensive lineman / outside linebacker
  • Nathan Depuy – inside linebacker
  • Darrius McElroy – quarterback
  • Kurtis Miller – wide receiver / cornerback
  • Angelo Salvino – long snapper
  • Nate Watkins – wide receiver / outside linebacker
  • Jaiden Woods – offensive lineman / defensive lineman
Each player addressed the attendees and thanked the Booster Club and community for the great support, saying he was sorry they couldn’t take it farther in the playoffs.

“What a tremendous career these guys had,” said Moore. “They had a great senior year. It didn’t end the way we wanted. We lost to a team we should have beaten. But they were part of a lot of wins. A lot of people thought we wouldn’t be very good (just four returning starters and the loss of some key starters early in the season due to injury). I couldn’t be prouder of these guys. This is a great group of outstanding young men. And they grew so much as leaders. It was one of the most fun seasons I remember. These guys raised the bar on effort and leadership. I’m proud to stand with them today.”

Massillon ended the season with an 11-3 record, the fifth year in a row that they won at least ten games. During past six seasons the Tigers have compiled a 67-14 mark, including four regional championships and three trips to the state finals. And the future bodes well with the talent coming up from the lower grades.

Next season’s schedule will see the return of Canton GlenOak (A), Warren Harding (H), Austintown Fitch (H) and Canton McKinley (H), games that cover Weeks 2, 4, 6 and 10, respectively. That leaves six open dates for Moore to fill. Look for another big name Ohio team for the opener and perhaps an out-of-state team or two.
Go Tigers!

2021: Green 26, Massillon 25
Austin Brawl ey Receives Touchdown Club Award
3548fef9b607d083f75b3e71123b3ca6

dengelhardt

4th & a half yard and "obviously stopped dead" in his tracks?

But OK, take away the two most controversial calls that led to a TD for each team, the bogus backwards pass and the phantom PI. That means... Green wins.

Were the endless holds called on Massillon legit or not? Asking honestly, not to be a troll. Sure seemed like the Tigers were in panic mode to me, following up holds with false starts. Spiral games happen. And I'm on record saying a couple times it's pretty likely Green got gifted one by the refs accidentally-on-purpose.

Just like the pros...the qbs can be the separation...if you have a dual threat qb or a guy who can spin it...it makes a difference. Sounds like Winton Woods doesnt have that guy and Green does. Green will be physical enough defensively...to allow their QB and skill players to do enough to win. Winton Woods probably favored by 13 by Vegas but Green 28 WW 22. The better the weather the better for Green. Bad weather definitely helps WW.
watching the game and then verifying on film, the majority of the calls were terrible in ALL 3 playoff games. I can admit WW had 2 unnecessary roughness calls vs Piqua (stupid plays) but the Piqua game was totally called one sided. I credit WW for playing through it.
we been dealing with that 20 years I ain’t worried bout the officials

W
WW fans - don't be deceived by Massillon fans whining and excuse making. Green was the better team that night. Green outplayed and outcoached Massillon all night. The number of penalties was not about the poor officiating but rather the poor play of the Tigers. I understand that part of being a fan is bias toward your team but Massillon was a 24 point favorite and Green beat them. Don't sleep on Green like Massillon did.
We ain’t fooled by that WW been here before we know all opponents are to be taken seriously especially ones that’s made it this far

I know comparing scores is not the best way to compare teams but I found a connection between Green and WW. I know it is a stretch but here it is:
Pick Cent beat Massillon 26-7 and Elder 28-10
Elder beat LaSalle 28-21
LaSalle beat WW in the beginning of the year 21-7.
WW beat LaSalle two weeks ago 42-25
I have WW favored by 13 vs Green.
But have Green shocking the world again. Green 28-22

W

We ain’t fooled by that WW been here before we know all opponents are to be taken seriously especially ones that’s made it this far
watching the game and then verifying on film, the majority of the calls were terrible in ALL 3 playoff games. I can admit WW had 2 unnecessary roughness calls vs Piqua (stupid plays) but the Piqua game was totally called one sided. I credit WW for playing through it.
Are you serious? WW holds on every single play. Their tackles latch on the back of jerseys as soon as they can. It’s easy to get the edge when you hold the person setting the edge. This has been coached that way there since Everhart. Who essentially admitted it at a coaching clinic years ago. Stop trying to act like it is anything but what it is. It’s one sided because WW consistently and continually does it. The homer refs that are always doing the WW home games just won’t call because they are total homers and the laziest crew I have ever seen. When They are away from WW, they call it the way it should be called. Don’t t
Let facts get in the way of your opinion.

I doubt Green has been hit like WW will and with the QB running and an empty backfield, as a main part of their offense, that will definitely be a factor in the game!
Heard the same thing about Massillon, let it rest, our kids hit also.

Tht ball will come quick. They have a 6'5 200 lb offensive tackle. He will be matched up vs the Defensive player of the yr in the SW region.
Actually listed at 6'3", 295#, that should be a good one to watch. I love watching line play.

When you need a fumble then a PI penalty, where the replay clearly shows there was no contact, you need to drop the tired argument that it was simply complaining about the refs.

The timing of the penalties was so coincidental, with the flags thrown just when Green was stopped and the game would have been over.

Seriously did Green stop Massillon defensively, beat them offensively or did the 20 penalties determine the outcome?

We'll see what happens when they don't have that ASSISTANCE!

Kind of like the Marion Harding game where the refs AGAIN determined the out come of the game (19 penalties) rather than the play of the teams involved.

Laugh this one off. Post the replay and prove the ref's PI call was the right one and didn't give Green the game!

Too bad there isn't instant replay for HS, I think they tried it for DIII playoffs games!
So we needed a fumble to win, absolutely correct, take care of the football and ice the game...coaching. But, but didn't you need turnovers on your scores? What if Green didn't turn it over? You may not have scored? Correct? One of Greens turnovers was clearly not a backwords pass, but I'm sure you saw that as a fumble thru your orange glasses. Why can't you lose with dignity and respect the opponent?

Don’t Let facts get in the way of your opinion.
This applies to you lol.

What is your goal here anyway?
You show up in WW threads a few months ago with an axe to grind against WW.
Create a stupid Yappi name meant to mock a different WW poster.
All of your posts have been wrong.

May you find peace in your life and not feel the need to try to be such a negative influence on the world.

This thread good Lord....Getting goofy.
Trolls are out in force.

And isn't there already a thread for the Green victory over Massillon?
Why bring that bellyaching into yet another thread that has nothing to do with that game.
Get over it already.

This thread good Lord....Getting goofy.
Trolls are out in force.

And isn't there already a thread for the Green victory over Massillon?
Why bring that bellyaching into yet another thread that has nothing to do with that game.
Get over it already.
You are correct, sorry. They seem to pollute every thread. Can't wait for gameday.

Did it translate into a dominant time of possession?:

AGAIN, the referees determined the outcome of the game. If not for a final turnover and missed PI call, Green had lost the game because of refereeing that wiped out a 3 TD advantage with calls at advantageous times, that allowed Green to receive scoing opportunities or stop Massillon.

Possession Time Green Massillon
24:28 23:32
1st Quarter 5:43 6:17
2nd Quarter 6:06 5:54
3rd Quarter 4:47 7;13
4th Quarter 7:53 4:08
Blah blah blah...Green -W.....end of story.

If WW doesn’t allow Green to nickle and dime them to death and play “How many different ways can you lose a game” They will win easily.

From looking at the schedule it would appear that WW has really improved throughout the year, an example being how they got revenge on LaSalle. At the same time, Green rebounded from getting beaten by Hoover and looking like a middle of the road Fed team to rally through the playoffs including beating Green. The result is one of the more interesting games this weekend.

Not quite sure why we're debating the Green/Massillon game here other than some people's inability to let go.

This matchup confirms the old saying "its not about WHO your playing but WHEN you play them" both teams got hot at the right time... still got the Warriors by 14!!!

I get your point! But this ain’t Massillon.
Don't let the cat out of the bag and let our kids know you're the toughest, hardest hitting team in Ohio please, I don't want them pissing down their legs like they were suppose to do against another opponent.

Don't let the cat out of the bag and let our kids know you're the toughest, hardest hitting team in Ohio please, I don't want them pissing down their legs like they were suppose to do against another opponent.
No one from WW is on this thread disrespecting Green or saying they should be scared.
Don't get yourself upset Bass.
He was saying don't compare us to to the chest thumpers you guys are arguing with.
WW coaches, players and fans are NOT anything like them.
On the field the style of play is not even close to the same thing as them either.

DISPUTE THIS ANALYSIS OF THE GAME WITH VIDEO THAT VALIDATES IT.

IT'S CRYSTAL CLEAR HOW THIS GAME WAS DECIDED!

NEWS
In regional final playoff action No. 4 Massillon lost to No. 7 Green, 26-25, finishing the season with an 11-3 record. The game was played at Mansfield’s Arlin Field Stadium.

The Tigers were favored in this one but lost with less than a minute remaining when Green’s Trevor Van Horn connected with Trey Martin for a 16-yard touchdown pass. Green advances to the state semifinals where they will face Cincinnati Winton Woods. The other semifinal pits defending champion Akron Hoban against Avon.

All-in-all it was a good game spoiled by some unfortunate referee calls. Right from the start there were issues. On Green’s second play from scrimmage, Van Horn threw a sideways screen pass that was dropped by the receiver. The referee closest to the play ruled it incomplete, but the side judge on the far side of the field called it a backward pass and a fumble, which Massillon then recovered. The Tigers would score the opening points a few plays later, but only after the Bulldog head coach was assessed a 15-yard penalty for disputing the call. A review of the film shows that the pass was thrown parallel to the line of scrimmage and was thus incomplete.

In the second quarter Green had the ball at the Massillon ten facing a fourth down and a half yard to go. Van Horn tried a quarterback sneak but was stopped dead in his tracks. But the side judge ruled that he had advanced a full yard and awarded the Bulldogs a first down, overruling the ref on the opposite side of the field, who was closer to the play. That led to Green’s first touchdown.

But the coup de gras came with 24 seconds left in the game. Green was behind 25-19 on the scoreboard and was facing a 4th and 10 at the Massillon 25 . It was undoubtedly the play that would decide the game. Martin lined up near the right sideline and headed straight for the end zone looking to high top the ball and score. Zahnii Berry was on defense but ended up trailing Martin by about a yard. At the one yard line Martin stepped out of bounds with his right foot, which would have made him an ineligible receiver, unless he was pushed out, which he was not . He stepped out again with his right foot after he had crossed the goal line. Now in position to catch the ball at the corner of the end zone he was challenged by safety Austin Brawley, who had beat him to the spot, jumped straight up and intercepted the pass, as ruled by the back judge, who was standing five yards from the catch. It was a clean play as neither player interfered with the other. But the side judge, who was some twenty yards away from the play ruled that one of the Tiger players had interfered. Ironically, it was his fifth pass interference call against Massillon. The side judge also failed to drop his hat at the spot where Martin had stepped out of bounds to indicate such. The penalty gave Green new life and they scored the winning points two plays later.

In all, the two teams were flagged a combined 30 times, 20 against Massillon and 10 against Green. Inexcusable, considering both teams were good enough this year to advance to a regional finals game and were not highly-penalized teams. What ever happened to letting the kids sort it out on the field? So it was indeed a good game spoiled by some bad referees.

As expected, Massillon was certainly a tough out in the playoffs. It took a career effort from Van Horn to bring his team to victory. He threw a whopping 57 passes and completed 31 for 276 yards and four touchdowns. Ten of the passes went to Martin, for 129 yards and three scores. Obviously, Green knew they wouldn’t be able to run the ball (26 carries for 54 yards), so they resorted to using an empty backfield formation (5 wide receivers) exclusively throughout the game. The 57 passes were most ever thrown against Massillon in a single game.

The Tigers’ game plan was to run the ball and found success with quarterback Darrius McElroy, who carried 20 times for 136 yards and scored all three touchdowns. Shane Rue also added a field goal, his eighth of the season. But the base first down scheme, which involved 23 runs and just two passes, struggled since Green was blitzing their middle linebackers each time. As a result, Massillon’s longest drive less penalties was just 37 yards. But it wasn’t for lack of effort that they lost the game. The Tigers gave it their all from start to finish.

“Congratulations to Green as they move forward in the state playoffs,” said Massillon Head Coach Nate Moore in his opening remarks at the final Booster Club meeting. “Unfortunately we couldn’t get it done in spite of a great effort. It was a great play when Austin picked off the ball at the end. But we didn’t make enough plays to overcome twenty penalties.”

Stats:
  • Jalen Slaughter – 5 for 11 passing for 41 yards
  • Darrius McElroy – 2 of 5 passing for 5 yards; 20 carries for 136 yards and 3 touchdowns; 4 punts for 34.5 ave.
  • Freddie Lenix Jr. – 14 carries for 67 yards
  • Austin Brawley – 3 receptions for 11 yards; 6 kick returns for 77 yards; pass interception
  • Camden Beasley – 8.5 (8-1) tackle points
  • Maverick Clark – 8.0 (5-6) tackle points
  • Ressieo Kirksey – 1.5 tackles for loss; 1 sack
Coach Moore brought all of his senior team leaders to the meeting. They included:
  • Austin Brawley – wide receiver / safety
  • Riley Campbell – wide receiver / defensive lineman / outside linebacker
  • Nathan Depuy – inside linebacker
  • Darrius McElroy – quarterback
  • Kurtis Miller – wide receiver / cornerback
  • Angelo Salvino – long snapper
  • Nate Watkins – wide receiver / outside linebacker
  • Jaiden Woods – offensive lineman / defensive lineman
Each player addressed the attendees and thanked the Booster Club and community for the great support, saying he was sorry they couldn’t take it farther in the playoffs.

“What a tremendous career these guys had,” said Moore. “They had a great senior year. It didn’t end the way we wanted. We lost to a team we should have beaten. But they were part of a lot of wins. A lot of people thought we wouldn’t be very good (just four returning starters and the loss of some key starters early in the season due to injury). I couldn’t be prouder of these guys. This is a great group of outstanding young men. And they grew so much as leaders. It was one of the most fun seasons I remember. These guys raised the bar on effort and leadership. I’m proud to stand with them today.”

Massillon ended the season with an 11-3 record, the fifth year in a row that they won at least ten games. During past six seasons the Tigers have compiled a 67-14 mark, including four regional championships and three trips to the state finals. And the future bodes well with the talent coming up from the lower grades.

Next season’s schedule will see the return of Canton GlenOak (A), Warren Harding (H), Austintown Fitch (H) and Canton McKinley (H), games that cover Weeks 2, 4, 6 and 10, respectively. That leaves six open dates for Moore to fill. Look for another big name Ohio team for the opener and perhaps an out-of-state team or two.
Go Tigers!

2021: Green 26, Massillon 25
Austin Brawl ey Receives Touchdown Club Award
3548fef9b607d083f75b3e71123b3ca6

dengelhardt
I don’t think Massillon will wanna schedule green. Too tough of a game for the ole tigers ??

No one from WW is on this thread disrespecting Green or saying they should be scared.
Don't get yourself upset Bass.
He was saying don't compare us to to the chest thumpers you guys are arguing with.
WW coaches, players and fans are NOT anything like them.
On the field the style of play is not even close to the same thing as them either.

Umm yeah, we kinda are but ok. Along with Avon, Hoban, LaSalle, are the bluebloods past several seasons. TCC up there too.

Not alot of pressure on Green, hope they play loose and make it interesting. And hope they're not still celebrating. That was a huge upset. They'll need a bigger one.

Good luck to both teams.