Division II State Semifinal: Winton Woods (11-3) vs Uniontown Green (11-3)

Who wins?

• Winton Woods by 17+

Votes: 32 32.0%
  • Winton Woods by 8-16

Votes: 32 32.0%
  • Winton Woods by 1-7

Votes: 13 13.0%
  • Green by 1-7

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • Green by 8-16

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Green by 17+

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm sure your DBs WOULDN"T play 10 yrds. off their receivers and give them the game, by allowing them to pass at will!!!

31 of 57 for 276 isn't exactly at will. Minus 1 long gain which the db in position tried to strip instead of tackle they averaged less than 5 yards per. I don't doubt WW has a better secondary, and they will also do a better job pressuring the QB. Our line is better run defenders. Green has no running game.

Obviously also, no disrespect to Green, but officiating was a major factor. Pretty safe to say WW won't be penalized 20 times for 180. Back to back to back holding, multiple dubious pass interferences, etc. I don't know if WW has any say whatsoever, but if so it is inconceivable to me that crew would even be asked (hope not) let alone okayed.

(btw that does not include the handful that got declined, lol). It was brutal.

31 of 57 for 276 isn't exactly at will. Minus 1 long gain which the db in position tried to strip instead of tackle they averaged less than 5 yards per. I don't doubt WW has a better secondary, and they will also do a better job pressuring the QB. Our line is better run defenders. Green has no running game.

Obviously also, no disrespect to Green, but officiating was a major factor. Pretty safe to say WW won't be penalized 20 times for 180. Back to back to back holding, multiple dubious pass interferences, etc. I don't know if WW has any say whatsoever, but if so it is inconceivable to me that crew would even be asked (hope not) let alone okayed.

Well maybe Green shouldn't even show up and move WW to the championship game. Sound like any other Whiney lil beach you've heard, lol. Green will need to play much better imo. To say they have no running game isn't quite correct either. I've said all along they have no real running back and sending their 155 pound receiver in motion for handoffs has worked Ok for them, the QB keepers has worked also. Also, we'll take a 5 yard average on receptions all day long!

Well pretty sure Green had over 10 penalties themselves. I know of one Unsportsmanlike by a player that probably never received one all year, I'm sure something cheap provoked it. It was a tale of two tapes, the Wooster game you couldn't buy a flag and there was some real sketchy ball placements.

watching the game and then verifying on film, the majority of the calls were terrible in ALL 3 playoff games. I can admit WW had 2 unnecessary roughness calls vs Piqua (stupid plays) but the Piqua game was totally called one sided. I credit WW for playing through it.

Last edited:
WW Warriors are a class team that respects all opponents and are very well coached.
They will not be taking Green lightly in any way and know that Green can win.

WW will be very well prepared for Green's 5 wide offense.
Playing Anderson every year makes it just part of what they have to do.
Former NFL player Carlton Gray is the D Coordinator and knows what the hell he is doing.

WW DE's and LB's are fantastic HS players who I think will get enough pressure and limit the QB runs.
DB's are also a tough group.
I expect Green to move the ball and hit some plays.
I also expect WW to tackle very well and just flat out knock people off their feet.
That's what they do.

On offense I expect WW to line up and and just come at Green.
Warriors O-Line is really blowing good teams off the ball bigtime lately.
WW will mix it up when they need to and take a few shots.

Warriors are an experienced team with at least 25 Seniors.
This team is PHYSICAL and will give max effort.
WW may win or lose but their opponents have max respect when the game is over because the
Warriors bring it.
I am very proud of this year's team for making the adjustments they needed to make after the losses.
Team is night and day from the 1st part of the season.
Go Warriors.

With a quick glance at WW's sched you can see a little bit of a parallel with Massillon in that there are some eeked out wins over some iffy competition and moral losses to really good teams. The difference between WW and Massillon is that WW had a much tougher road in the playoffs and came out and won against some of those same teams. So #1 for Green above all else better be ball control -- they cannot turn it over like they did in the regional final cause WW seems battle tested right now.

Anything can happen. Go Green!

When your dbs play 10 yrds. off the receivers (if that was the case), you're allowing that them to complete passes at will and control the clock.

To ignore the turn over (fumble) and clearly missed PI call on the pass play, in the end zone, along with 20 total penalties and try and say Green outplayed Massillon (a 3 td favorite), well, we'll see if Winton Woods performance reflects being outplayed in a similar manner?

When your dbs play 10 yrds. off the receivers (if that was the case), you're allowing that them to complete passes at will and control the clock.

To ignore the turn over (fumble) and clearly missed PI call on the pass play, in the end zone, along with 20 total penalties and try and say Green outplayed Massillon (a 3 td favorite), well, we'll see if Winton Woods performance reflects being outplayed in a similar manner?
If you need to hold, interfere with our receivers, PF, sideline interference, etc. then to say none of them ever happened is sad, or just the ones you want to pick happened. You lost, if Green gets blown out then so be it. Your kids need more discipline, I guarantee Massillon is the biggest smack talker we played and that was a problem for you last year as well....coaching!

With a quick glance at WW's sched you can see a little bit of a parallel with Massillon in that there are some eeked out wins over some iffy competition and moral losses to really good teams. The difference between WW and Massillon is that WW had a much tougher road in the playoffs and came out and won against some of those same teams. So #1 for Green above all else better be ball control -- they cannot turn it over like they did in the regional final cause WW seems battle tested right now.

Anything can happen. Go Green!
No. The difference is the WW Head coach got hired late spring. Hired a brand new staff, new schemes on both sides of the ball. Coaches knowing what players to trust on the field and the kids buying into the new system. Just an adjustment period.

No. The difference is the WW Head coach got hired late spring. Hired a brand new staff, new schemes on both sides of the ball. Coaches knowing what players to trust on the field and the kids buying into the new system. Just an adjustment period.
All true.

I can tell you with certainty that people don’t realize when you have plenty of talented players, the coaches need to figure out who they really should be playing and in what roles.

Not as easy as you think especially when you are all new coaches and have to learn the players and who you can trust doing certain things.

Coach Murphy and staff came in late when Coach Parker and his staff bolted for Princeton.
Not easy and there was an adjustment phase.

I personally think the staff has done a great job.

Fair enough, my statement wasn't meant to be all-encompassing. Only fly in the ointment is a very uninspiring game against Loveland week ten, but I don't know the circumstances behind it.

Best of luck to both squads, Go Bulldogs!

When you need a fumble then a PI penalty, where the replay clearly shows there was no contact, you need to drop the tired argument that it was simply complaining about the refs.

The timing of the penalties was so coincidental, with the flags thrown just when Green was stopped and the game would have been over.

Seriously did Green stop Massillon defensively, beat them offensively or did the 20 penalties determine the outcome?

We'll see what happens when they don't have that ASSISTANCE!

Kind of like the Marion Harding game where the refs AGAIN determined the out come of the game (19 penalties) rather than the play of the teams involved.

Laugh this one off. Post the replay and prove the ref's PI call was the right one and didn't give Green the game!

Too bad there isn't instant replay for HS, I think they tried it for DIII playoffs games!

Last edited:
Green is small but will be physical. Since WW doesn't have a running QB, that will help Green's defense.
Green has a good QB and good WRs.
It will come down to turnovers and mistakes, how much pressure WW can get on Green's QB, and how well Green's QB plays. He will need to play better than he did against Massillon.
I was expecting more from Massillon.

Massillon touchdown drives:
10 yards off of a backwards pass (bad call).
30 yard drive off of a turnover.
35 yard drive off of a turnover.
10 yard drive off a turnover (field goal).
Massillon can't throw the football.
No sustained drives.
Massillon was outplayed.
When you need a fumble then a PI penalty, where the replay clearly shows there was no contact, you need to drop the tired argument that it was simply complaining about the refs.

The timing of the penalties was so coincidental, with the flags thrown just when Green was stopped and the game would have been over.

Seriously did Green stop Massillon defensively, beat them offensively or did the 20 penalties determine the outcome?

The refs impact is suppose to be non existent and you don't even know they're there, was that the case?!

Laugh this one off. Post the replay and prove the ref's PI call was the right one and didn't give Green the game!

Too bad there isn't instant replay for HS, I think they tried it for DIII playoffs games!

GREEN MASS

TOTAL OFFENSE PLAYS-YARDS..... 83-330 57-265

Last edited:
Looks like WW has gained about an extra 10,000 fans lol here's the skinny. Watching film this green team is tough. This Tre Martin kid is a problem. I expect Matthews & Calhoun to take turns on him. The key is can they handle WW speed off the edges. I expect a heavy screen game but since Anderson every team has to tried to emulate their gameplan, screens & QB draws. However against Anderson we were down our ALL LEAGUE DEFENSIVE TACKLE, THE SIGNAL CALLER, AND THE OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR, WHILE ONLY PRACTICING 1 DAY THAT WEEK. This team has overcome a lot of things & I expect them to have laser focus. I think WW not having kids go both ways will factor in a lot.

Looks like WW has gained about an extra 10,000 fans lol here's the skinny. Watching film this green team is tough. This Tre Martin kid is a problem. I expect Matthews & Calhoun to take turns on him. The key is can they handle WW speed off the edges. I expect a heavy screen game but since Anderson every team has to tried to emulate their gameplan, screens & QB draws. However against Anderson we were down our ALL LEAGUE DEFENSIVE TACKLE, THE SIGNAL CALLER, AND THE OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR, WHILE ONLY PRACTICING 1 DAY THAT WEEK. This team has overcome a lot of things & I expect them to have laser focus. I think WW not having kids go both ways will factor in a lot.
I doubt Green has been hit like WW will and with the QB running and an empty backfield, as a main part of their offense, that will definitely be a factor in the game!

I doubt Green has been hit like WW will and with the QB running and an empty backfield, as a main part of their offense, that will definitely be a factor in the game!
Tht ball will come quick. They have a 6'5 200 lb offensive tackle. He will be matched up vs the Defensive player of the yr in the SW region.

Fair enough, my statement wasn't meant to be all-encompassing. Only fly in the ointment is a very uninspiring game against Loveland week ten, but I don't know the circumstances behind it.

Best of luck to both squads, Go Bulldogs!
It’s all good. Looking forward to the game on Friday. If you get this far, your team has to be good! I hope we can keep you offense off the field!!

WW fans - don't be deceived by Massillon fans whining and excuse making. Green was the better team that night. Green outplayed and outcoached Massillon all night. The number of penalties was not about the poor officiating but rather the poor play of the Tigers. I understand that part of being a fan is bias toward your team but Massillon was a 24 point favorite and Green beat them. Don't sleep on Green like Massillon did.