Playoff attendance

Who didn't see this one coming, for all the talk about lack of attendance, the state was gifted a game between two huge local rivals in Holy Name-Padua who don't have much (if any) playoff history against each other. Put it at Byers, which is about a mile or two from both schools, and it draws 8,000.

Instead, they put it at Brooklyn, which seats 3,200, and to the surprise to no one who has interest in that game, it sold out this morning (think they capped it at 4,000) and now they are urging fans to get there at 5:30 p.m. when gates open to get a seat for a 7 p.m. game, smh.

On top of that, they put the Ed's-McKinley game at Byers (we'll see if it even draws 4,000) and then doubled down on stupid by also making it one of their stream games. HN-Padua, which anybody with a brain knew would sell out Brooklyn, is not one of the streams, so thousands of fans (and that's not hyperbole) are going to be left out in a day where we have a 5-page thread on here about how much attendance sucks. Great job OHSAA!

If they were going to stream Ed's-McKinley anyway and venues are an issue, put that one at Brooklyn or find a small stadium between the two schools, sell it out, and rake on the stream for anybody who can't get a ticket. Then don't stream the HN-Padua game but put it at Byers and rake at the gate.
You do realize this is the OHSAA..

Dover Kenston was very well attended almost full on the Dover side and a very enthusiastic crowd,seemed like the old days!

the Magics....... gosh , showing my age, but dang it was fun to watch their magic show in warmups.... Bodnar twins.... carter Scott.........:)
Saw that team in the regional finals against Canton McKinley, I think in 1976. It ended something like 95-85. They were the most incredible team I ever saw... then they went to Columbus and couldn't find the basket with 2 hands and a metal detector.

In Iowa and Minnesota these past two
weekends with 14 games in domes the crowds were really nice for most of the games.
In Iowa tickets were 12.50 for each session. A bargain of you were staying for all the games each day. Parking was free.

In Minnesota sessions were 16 not bad if you were staying for each game. Parking was 22 a day in the parking garage. Really a rip off but we paid it because it was across the street from the stadium and both of us who went had severe back issues. The best deal is you could take the train to the stadium for 2.50 each way. They say it could take forty minutes but nobody I spoke with said it made them late for the game.(The 40 min time is if you were staying near the mall of America).

I asked 19 people in the two states about online tickets. One guy was an A.D. and a Ast. Coach at a school in Iowa. He said on one hand he liked it because it was less work for him with the down side he said it really hurt attendance at his games because most of the older crowd wanted no part of it and some of the younger crowd said no because of the fees attached to the tickets.
In Minnesota the one guy who liked it was in his 50's and he impaired baseball and softball. He did say come tourney time the crowds were less because of the online tickets. He said he jumped all over the state and lower attendance was an issue every where. He said the increase in price plus fees kept most of those he talked to at the games.

I share this because so many think Ohio does everything the best way.

In Iowa and Minnesota these past two
weekends with 14 games in domes the crowds were really nice for most of the games.
In Iowa tickets were 12.50 for each session. A bargain of you were staying for all the games each day. Parking was free.

In Minnesota sessions were 16 not bad if you were staying for each game. Parking was 22 a day in the parking garage. Really a rip off but we paid it because it was across the street from the stadium and both of us who went had severe back issues. The best deal is you could take the train to the stadium for 2.50 each way. They say it could take forty minutes but nobody I spoke with said it made them late for the game.(The 40 min time is if you were staying near the mall of America).

I asked 19 people in the two states about online tickets. One guy was an A.D. and a Ast. Coach at a school in Iowa. He said on one hand he liked it because it was less work for him with the down side he said it really hurt attendance at his games because most of the older crowd wanted no part of it and some of the younger crowd said no because of the fees attached to the tickets.
In Minnesota the one guy who liked it was in his 50's and he impaired baseball and softball. He did say come tourney time the crowds were less because of the online tickets. He said he jumped all over the state and lower attendance was an issue every where. He said the increase in price plus fees kept most of those he talked to at the games.

I share this because so many think Ohio does everything the best way.
You really just love to complain don't you!

Versailles vs PrebleShawnee very nice attendance both sides,I was impressed being an(outsider) Kudos to another MAC team ,I don't know how they do it ,size ,numbers mistake free,but Shawnee was definitely there to support their team.

Springfield vs Marysville at Hilliard Darby was pretty packed. Alot of late arrivals as I think only 1 entrance was opened. That was bad.

How was attendance at the semi final games?

Yesterday at Oil Lucas Stadium all 3 crowds for the state finals were bigger than I have saw them in my 3 years covering the games.
Tickets for non media end were 15 bucks per session (That was one ticket for all three games).
They did double the parking to 20 bucks and the lady working the lot where I paid was telling people they did it to recoup some lost funds from covid last season.
As it has been all three times no media parking.

Yesterday at Oil Lucas Stadium all 3 crowds for the state finals were bigger than I have saw them in my 3 years covering the games.
Tickets for non media end were 15 bucks per session (That was one ticket for all three games).
They did double the parking to 20 bucks and the lady working the lot where I paid was telling people they did it to recoup some lost funds from covid last season.
Shocking that an indoor stadium in the center of the state would have better attendance than a small outdoor venue in a corner of a larger state! Shocking!

Also, did we have a bit or Irish coffee this morning? Or are you having breakfast with Coach Flatch....

1638020051208.png

Shocking that an indoor stadium in the center of the state would have better attendance than a small outdoor venue in a corner of a larger state! Shocking!

Also, did we have a bit or Irish coffee this morning? Or are you having breakfast with Coach Flatch....

View attachment 23984
That isn't what he said. He said the crowds at Lucas Oil were bigger than the crowds at Lucas Oil during the other 3 years he has covered the games. No comparison between Indiana and Ohio was made.

I have been to five playoff games this year:

Week 1 - Eastlake North at Hoban. Small crowd on both sides. (For North, a 45 min drive for an anticipated blowout.)

Week 2 - Hubbard at Canfield. Packed.

Week 3 - Medina vs St. Ignatius at Brunswick. Packed.

Week 4 - Kirtland vs. South Range at Niles. SR almost full on smaller visitor stands. Kirtland nice crowd, but plenty of seats open on the larger home side.

Week 5 - Ursuline vs. Port Clinton at Euclid. Nice crowd given the weather and distance for both teams. But plenty of seats open given the stadium capacity.

Bloom-Carroll vs Clinton-Massie was very well-attended; Western Brown brought all of Sabinia and Mt. Orab to Teays Valley two weeks ago.

That isn't what he said. He said the crowds at Lucas Oil were bigger than the crowds at Lucas Oil during the other 3 years he has covered the games. No comparison between Indiana and Ohio was made.
My mistake. Was distracted by the picture of his biceps in his avatar

I was there for the cathedral game. I ended up parking in a hotel garage for free. But I do love the set up they have at Lucas Oil. We would have a ton more people show if we had an indoor stadium. GA, Michigan and Indy got it right.

Oh, for sure -- wasn't doubting you. Just shocked by the figure. Evidently it's hard for me to gauge perceived attendance when faced with the real figure.
Unless forced to do so by a crowd that is standing room only, people will take up more seat width than is generally figured when they determine a stadium's capacity. No, I'm not calling people fat, "territorial" might be the more appropriate word here.

If I have 2000 fans taking up an average of 18 inches of bleacher apiece, I only need 1500 taking up 24 inches of bleacher apiece to occupy the same space, and that extra 6 inches per person may not be easy to notice. It's not a stretch at all to deduct at least 25% from the perceived crowd size unless the fans are truly packed into the stands like sardines.

I was there for the cathedral game. I ended up parking in a hotel garage for free. But I do love the set up they have at Lucas Oil. We would have a ton more people show if we had an indoor stadium. GA, Michigan and Indy got it right.
Lucas Oil Stadium is a great facility. I was there for the first time back in September for the Colts vs. Seahawks.

ACCORDING TO ANNOUNCERS WEST HOLMES - CHARDON WAS A SELL OUT.
THEIR COMMENT WAS NO EMPTY SEATS IN THE STANDS.

Unless forced to do so by a crowd that is standing room only, people will take up more seat width than is generally figured when they determine a stadium's capacity. No, I'm not calling people fat, "territorial" might be the more appropriate word here.

If I have 2000 fans taking up an average of 18 inches of bleacher apiece, I only need 1500 taking up 24 inches of bleacher apiece to occupy the same space, and that extra 6 inches per person may not be easy to notice. It's not a stretch at all to deduct at least 25% from the perceived crowd size unless the fans are truly packed into the stands like sardines.
How does the 18 inches get determined? Is it figuring a spring day clothed crowd? I know I take up more width when I have the Carhartts on as opposed to the games in August and September.