Division III State Semifinal: Chardon (14-0) vs West Holmes (14-0)

Who wins?

• Chardon by 17+

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Chardon by 8-16

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • Chardon by 1-7

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • West Holmes by 1-7

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • West Holmes by 8-16

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • West Holmes by 17+

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Chardon should win by 21 or so but best of luck to WH head coach who went to Dover and played for coach Ifft,I am sure Dan will offer anything that will help the knights.

If you mean competitive teams to each other I probably agree. But if you mean talent wise I disagree strongly.
You argued this same point last year. Not one person that says 9 is the toughest region means that they think region 9 has the best teams in the state. Every single one of them means that it is the most competitive region top to bottom in the state. No other region came into the season with people thinking 5-6-7-8 teams could compete to win the region.

You are just saying that Chardon is going to win big because they kicked Dover’s butt. I have watched Dover play about three or four games and I think West Holmes is better than Dover. West Holmes has more athletes and a player in Sam Williams Dixon that is head and shoulders above any player on Dovers team.
WH won’t get in the endzone against chardon

You argued this same point last year. Not one person that says 9 is the toughest region means that they think region 9 has the best teams in the state. Every single one of them means that it is the most competitive region top to bottom in the state. No other region came into the season with people thinking 5-6-7-8 teams could compete to win the region.
It’s all in the wording. The other post said “best” which I view as best teams, talent etc. saying toughest and most competitive change the meaning. So - toughest region to come out of it most competitive I would agree. “Best” - maybe we look at that word differently.

Most of the comments seem to be from folks whose team got steamrolled by Chardon. They also thought they had a shot to win before the game. They are just warning you with what to expect.
I expected Canfield to lose to Chardon before they played. And I expect Chardon to win state this year and they are the odds on favourite to repeat next year. The only way anyone remaining keeps it close is if Chardon has some key injuries. Chardon at full strength easily handles any of the 3 teams remaining.

It’s all in the wording. The other post said “best” which I view as best teams, talent etc. saying toughest and most competitive change the meaning. So - toughest region to come out of it most competitive I would agree. “Best” - maybe we look at that word differently.
Oh no we can agree on best.

Region 9 is not near the toughest region. Get real. There are twenty or more teams in Ohio that beat Chardon if not more. They are a good team but Hobans, Ignatius’ , St. Edwards etc have athletes on another level than Chardon or anyone they’ve played.
I am sure many of the big D-I and D-II teams like St. Xavier, St. Edward, St. Ignatius, Archbishop Moeller, Pickerington Central and North, Colerain, Upper Arlington, Medina, Mentor, Archbishop Hoban, Massillon, Avon, TCC, etc can beat anyone in D-III, but the other posters are talking about relative difficulty, relative to the size of the schools.

Basically what everyone is saying is that the majority of the top teams from D-III were in region 9 this year. The majority of the other divisions have the top teams distributed through all 4 regions. D-III has probably 6 or 7 of the top 10 teams in region 9.

You are just saying that Chardon is going to win big because they kicked Dover’s butt. I have watched Dover play about three or four games and I think West Holmes is better than Dover. West Holmes has more athletes and a player in Sam Williams Dixon that is head and shoulders above any player on Dovers team.
Good luck to Mr Sam Williams Dixon and crew, they will need a lot of it!

Good luck to Mr Sam Williams Dixon and crew, they will need a lot of it!
Good luck trying to slow him down. You are going to need a lot of it. Probably the most talented player chardon has seen all year and he is only a sophomore. I hope he stomps chardon just because you people are so big headed

Good luck trying to slow him down. You are going to need a lot of it. Probably the most talented player chardon has seen all year and he is only a sophomore. I hope he stomps chardon just because you people are so big headed
Please research Glenville and Ursuline’s rosters, which are littered with athletes just as good, if not better, than this Dixon. Dixon is a really good player, but trust me, Chardon will not be caught off guard, they’ve seen great players all season.

Not big headed,hell I don’t even like Chardon can’t stand them as a matter of fact,but you will not sniff the end zone against them,they are that good.

The fact of the matter is that West Holmes has an excellent team this year and would have been one the favorites to win state this year if they didn't have to play anyone from region 9. Unfortunately West Holmes has to hope Chardon has injures or got worn down playing a lot of tough opponents throughout the year and these past 2 weeks. Chardon is just too well disciplined and too complete of a team on both sides of the ball. And they have gotten better as the year has progressed as well.

Not big headed,hell I don’t even like Chardon can’t stand them as a matter of fact,but you will not sniff the end zone against them,they are that good.
Heck Canfield had a QB that is headed to a D-I power 5 school and they still only managed 2 TDs.
I don't think West Holmes has a power five caliber QB, correct me if I am wrong...

I am presuming when posters talk about Chardon having cleared the best region to get to this point, they are discussing things in comparison to the four Division III regions.

I am presuming when posters talk about Chardon having cleared the best region to get to this point, they are discussing things in comparison to the four Division III regions.
Not necessarily limited to the 4 D-III regions. No other region in any division has as many of the top teams in their respective division. Some regions might have the best 2 or 3 teams in a division, but region 9 has arguably the best 5 and then probably 10-12 of the top 15 teams just the way things worked out.
Consider that Region 9's 15 seed would have more talent than any of the teams from the other 3 regions and would easily beat all of them if they played like they did in their best efforts.
Teams that went 10 and 0 or 9 and 1 from the other regions would go anywhere from 0-10 to 3-7 playing some of the better schedules in region 9.

Have not seen WH play this year, hoping for a great game next week. Only comparison I have to look at to this point is the Calprep calculator based on game statistics for this year….. results
CALPREPS.COM
Your source for high school football scores, standings & rankings

PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field
[2021] Dover (OH) 28, [2021] West Holmes (Millersburg, OH) 22

Just a quick look from W Holmes game last night… they’re mainly in a 30 front defensively to a TE look w the LB’s 5 yds off the ball… D line for W Holmes doesn’t look very big, either. Big advantage here for Chardon if W Holmes sticks w that game plan.

I think another key factor is Chardon only has 2-3 kids that play both ways. That’s a HUGE advantage in my opinion. Especially when they’re as fundamentally sound as they are.

Also, I agree the Williams Dixon kid is talented… BUT, go watch Holy Names 2nd TD last night… he’s at safety and takes a terrible angle downhill and whiffs on an arm tackle… that’s an angle you take when you don’t really want to hit someone.

Incidentally Cal Preps also says
Canfield 21 Dover 17 and Canfield 24 Aurora 20 on a neutral field.
It also projects Canfield over West Holmes as well.
But most importantly it has
Chardon 35 West Holmes 14 on a neutral field

Just a quick look from W Holmes game last night… they’re mainly in a 30 front defensively to a TE look w the LB’s 5 yds off the ball… D line for W Holmes doesn’t look very big, either. Big advantage here for Chardon if W Holmes sticks w that game plan.

I think another key factor is Chardon only has 2-3 kids that play both ways. That’s a HUGE advantage in my opinion. Especially when they’re as fundamentally sound as they are.

Also, I agree the Williams Dixon kid is talented… BUT, go watch Holy Names 2nd TD last night… he’s at safety and takes a terrible angle downhill and whiffs on an arm tackle… that’s an angle you take when you don’t really want to hit someone.
LOL you were able to watch before I did, just finished it myself…….
WH QB #12 does have a strong arm and takes those shots downfield ….. good DB will have some chances at the turnovers, we’ve (CHARDON) been getting them all year.
#24 is a great athlete but he does not come off the field. He will not have the stamina to compete at a high level for 4 quarters.
Also agreed there are several two way players that will not be able to keep up. May be the reason for giving up 80 yards in penalties.
Last thing I noticed is the lack of speed as a whole on the part of the opponent this week (Holy Name)…. That did not prepare WH for the type of speed they will face next week.
I’m hoping for a great game, WH is 14-0 for a reason I’m excited to see what they got!

Chardon has been the D3 favorite all year, but after seeing Sam Williams-Dixon yesterday, he is a good enough talent where I just can't automatically say Chardon will win this game.

Defensively, he wasn't a difference maker against HN, but see why they had to have him out there. But offensively he is special because of how many different ways he can beat you. He ran inside the tackles, he got to the edge, he ran WR routes over the middle, he ran WR go routes. His presence overall (gotta also watch for the screens and all the motion they do with him) really opens things up for the rest of the offense.

Chardon probably will win this one, but that kid gives WH a chance against anybody in D3. He's a big time talent and definitely a name we'll hear more and more about the next two years.