#1 Chardon Hilltoppers vs #2 Dover Tornadoes D3 Region 9 Regional Final

Dang I wish we had thought of that nickname for Conner McGarry “the Irish hammer,I like that. If Dover wins I think we win rights to it!

Any insight on why Dover uses 2 Quarterbacks? Is it to rest #7 because he’s on D? Does #17 or #7 throw/run better than the other? Both seem to be very efficient, just curious.
The one definitely throws better than the other but as of late they both have been very good at running the football! I think its more of a they are both really good quarterbacks and they hate to keep them off the field!

Any insight on why Dover uses 2 Quarterbacks? Is it to rest #7 because he’s on D? Does #17 or #7 throw/run better than the other? Both seem to be very efficient, just curious.

Here’s my understanding/opinion on the situation. 17 was/is a three year starter at QB while 7 was one of the better athletes on the team (he played WR/DB before playing QB, I believe). At some point last year (vs Phila maybe?) 17 got hurt, so 7 had to play QB. He ended up playing really well leading to big playoff wins against Tallmadge and Steubenville. So with both returning this year, instead of having to choose one over the other, they decided to have them alternate series (kind of reminds of the whole Barrett/Jones situation for OSU back in 2015 with an incumbent starter, but a back up who opened up the offense a little more). This may also be to keep 7 fresh on defense, as he is very important there, as you can see by all the interceptions he has. Coming into the season I would have said 17 is the “truer” QB in a throwing sense, while 7 is more athletic/can scramble better, but they’ve honestly kind of evened out as this season has progressed. 17 has turned into a nice runner, and 7 has no problems throwing. Definitely a nice situation to be in. I think both would start at qb for many teams around the state.

3 on O 2 on D plus the kicker One of those is Sulka who goes both ways WR/S
Actually it's 3 on D (Sulka, Hall, Liebhardt) and 2 on O (McDonald, Carr) - unless you want to include Sulka on O which would be legit - then it would be 3 on both sides. Plus the kicker - who may play a big factor in field position on Friday night.

I haven't seen McDonald play, but I wonder how he compares to Luke Farrell. Farrell played TE for Perry (D4), went to Ohio State, and now plays in the NFL. It's certainly not unheard of for a player from a D3 or D4 school to go to a BCS school.
He's a little shorter than Farrell and probably not as fast as Farrell was in high school. Better blocker than Farrell was. 6'3" legit 240 with great hands and very quick off the ball - Farrell would win in a 40 foot race.

The one definitely throws better than the other but as of late they both have been very good at running the football! I think its more of a they are both really good quarterbacks and they hate to keep them off the field!
Here’s my understanding/opinion on the situation. 17 was/is a three year starter at QB while 7 was one of the better athletes on the team (he played WR/DB before playing QB, I believe). At some point last year (vs Phila maybe?) 17 got hurt, so 7 had to play QB. He ended up playing really well leading to big playoff wins against Tallmadge and Steubenville. So with both returning this year, instead of having to choose one over the other, they decided to have them alternate series (kind of reminds of the whole Barrett/Jones situation for OSU back in 2015 with an incumbent starter, but a back up who opened up the offense a little more). This may also be to keep 7 fresh on defense, as he is very important there, as you can see by all the interceptions he has. Coming into the season I would have said 17 is the “truer” QB in a throwing sense, while 7 is more athletic/can scramble better, but they’ve honestly kind of evened out as this season has progressed. 17 has turned into a nice runner, and 7 has no problems throwing. Definitely a nice situation to be in. I think both would start at qb for many teams around the state.
Thanks for the input. You seem to be spot on with your response based on my memory of #17 in the 2019 Chardon game. He played solid that day and looked the part but he refused to run when he had 10-15 yards of green in front of him. Looks like competition at QB has turned #17 into more of a complete player. Kudos to the coaching staff - both QB’s look great on film. I have never been in favor of the 2 QB system, especially this late in the season. Can’t wait for tomorrow, this should be a great game!

Thanks for the input. You seem to be spot on with your response based on my memory of #17 in the 2019 Chardon game. He played solid that day and looked the part but he refused to run when he had 10-15 yards of green in front of him. Looks like competition at QB has turned #17 into more of a complete player. Kudos to the coaching staff - both QB’s look great on film. I have never been in favor of the 2 QB system, especially this late in the season. Can’t wait for tomorrow, this should be a great game!
It sounds like you were a QB at one point in your high school career.

7 came in to replace 17 last year in the middle of the season because 17 got quarantined due to COVID and 7 came in and had a stellar few games while 17 was out and that’s when the two quarterback model came into play

Thanks for the input. You seem to be spot on with your response based on my memory of #17 in the 2019 Chardon game. He played solid that day and looked the part but he refused to run when he had 10-15 yards of green in front of him. Looks like competition at QB has turned #17 into more of a complete player. Kudos to the coaching staff - both QB’s look great on film. I have never been in favor of the 2 QB system, especially this late in the season. Can’t wait for tomorrow, this should be a great game
He had injured his ankle earlier in that season against Zanesville and was limited in his running ability.

7 came in to replace 17 last year in the middle of the season because 17 got quarantined due to COVID and 7 came in and had a stellar few games while 17 was out and that’s when the two quarterback model came into play

Ahh now I remember- you’re right, it was Covid quarantine, not injury. Although I’m pretty sure Tallmadge is when 7 took over, not middle of the season (but I could be wrong).

Yes 7 first played against Tallmadge and broke or tied the school record with 6 or 7 td passes. I think instrumental to this season happened the next week At Steubenville when Dover utilized #32 in the 42-21 win,that offense looked more like it does this season.

Last edited:
Actually it's 3 on D (Sulka, Hall, Liebhardt) and 2 on O (McDonald, Carr) - unless you want to include Sulka on O which would be legit - then it would be 3 on both sides. Plus the kicker - who may play a big factor in field position on Friday night.
Yeah I counted Sulka both ways. Somehow missed Hall on D

I can only think of 2 former Chardon QB's that went DI. Both went to Navy
@joeyb77, who are the two QB’s you’re referring to? The only QB from Chardon that I know of that earned a scholarship was Brett Weidig (‘96), and that was to DII Mercyhurst. Actually, now that I’m thinking of it, I believe Scott Neill (‘94) originally went to Navy (or Army, I can’t remember), but ended his career at Allegheny. Who’s the other one.

Good Luck Dover!!!! I just watched a video from the Canfield game….. Dove is going to have to dominate the line of scrimmage, and defense is going to have to shut down that QB and running to outside…. It’s going to be one heck of a battle….. no matter what anyone says this game is for whoever wants it bad enough because both teams are loaded with talent…. GO TORNADOS ?