Region 1 Championship: St. Edward (12-1) vs. Medina (13-0)

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I get what you are saying...but if it was SHS....you would love it. It just depends on what side you are on.
SHS would be exciting to win the State championship because they never have before. The current SHS that opened in 2008 has never won a state team championship in any sport. That's what makes sports enjoyable. I used to be the biggest college bball fan until the repetition just became too much. Same with the NFL. How many times do we have to watch Tom Brady rub it in how he has the perfect life.

SHS would be exciting to win the State championship because they never have before. The current SHS that opened in 2008 has never won a state team championship in any sport. That's what makes sports enjoyable. I used to be the biggest college bball fan until the repetition just became too much. Same with the NFL. How many times do we have to watch Tom Brady rub it in how he has the perfect life.
Lol. Last comment was great...i get it

Again, no offense to St Eds. But, they're Tom Brady. We're sick of it. Don't fans of schools like St Eds get bored with it too? Ignatius has 11 state titles. Does anyone really care after let's say, 10??
Trust me, we still care. Ignatius has already won two team titles this year, and could very well win another 1-2. Still fun every time. I’ll admit to diminishing returns as a fan though; I’m sure a school winning their first or second title in any sport would be overjoyed. Expectations are very high so it’s easy to find yourself disappointed with being just an above average program, which is why the current state of Wildcat football causes so much dismay among the alumni in our threads.

Trust me, we still care. Ignatius has already won two team titles this year, and could very well win another 1-2. Still fun every time. I’ll admit to diminishing returns as a fan though; I’m sure a school winning their first or second title in any sport would be overjoyed. Expectations are very high so it’s easy to find yourself disappointed with being just an above average program, which is why the current state of Wildcat football causes so much dismay among the alumni in our threads.
I remember when Ignatius won their 1st title in 1988. Their huge upset of Princeton. The goal line stand and everything. I think that was also Ignatius' 1st ever playoff appearance. Coincidentally, that year was also SHS' 1st ever playoff appearance when they were North. I still remember the excitement of the shocking win over Wayne to get in the playoffs, the shocking upset at Lima and the week-long insane hype for the regional title game at the Glass Bowl where we lost. Springfield is still working on getting their 1st title. I'm sure Ignatius experienced the same hype and excitement throughout the 1988 playoff run. Back then, just getting into the playoffs was like opening the latest Super Nintendo on Xmas morning. I just think it couldn't have been the same during your playoff runs in the mid to late '90s when, by then, it was more predictable and expected and winning playoff games was routine. Had SHS won in the glass bowl, they would have played Ignatius next. Btw, this year it was very exciting for the city of Springfield when SHS defeated Ignatius in game 1. There's something to be said for the anticipation and excitement of the ride on the way up.

Last edited:
I don't know much about these two teams this year, but it is clear that Medina has come a long way since it got destroyed 73-38. In one short year they came back and pushed St. Ed's all over the field and won the game. This team is clearly better than last year's team. They are tough on both sides of the ball and don't get too flustered. On defense, Medina is big. They look like they can withstand the Ed's line. Whenever I've watched publics go against Ed's, they are usually outmanned on the line scrimmage. Medina has some big tough guys on the lines, so I think they could be okay there. Allar threw for almost 400 yards against Iggy. That says something. He even became the long snapper at one point in the game. I think Ed's will just come out and try to control clock and keep Allar off the field. If they can sustain long drives and wear down Medina's defense, they will win in a low scoring affair by a couple of scores. If the defense can get off the field and give the ball to Allar, he will light them up. He's the best guy on the field, and he will play like it. But Ed's knows what they have to do to win, and they have the people to do it. Good luck to both schools, and play a safe and competitive game.

Linebacker and safety/nickel play is going to be crucial for the Eagles in this game. The only kinks I have seen in this Ed's defense this year is defending TE's and slot receivers in that short to intermediate passing game. I expect them to be in a 4-2-5 look most of the game and the two backers need to do a better job of getting the right amount of depth in their drops and settling into the passing lanes. Safeties need to get a little more aggressive in coming up to defend. There will be opportunity for turnovers which could really flip the outcome of the game.

Defense still wins championships. I would say that Ed's has the edge on defense. Medina has a really good defense, but I think Ed's is a bit better. But Ed's is also facing a tougher offense to defend than what Medina will have to defend. Nothing against Ed's offense, but we all know what Allar and that offense is capable of. I'm just hoping for a great game as always!!

Both teams have a good idea of what they are going to see from each other. At this point in the season, a lot is about match-ups. The ‘X’ factor could be injury/health status. There were posts on Yappi and media reports about last week’s games where it was noted some starters got dinged up or had to come out of the game. We’ll see who is out on the field on Friday night and how they do. Watch for some of the individual match-ups

Medina twice had WRs running wide open for TDs. I don't expect the same gaffs from the Eds defense.

And Eds won't have 5 turnovers like Ignatius did.

I see the Eagles winning this game by 2 scores.

I think this game is a toss-up. Through thirteen games, Medina has scored 42 ppg and given up 11. Meanwhile, St. Edward has tallied 41ppg and allowed 11.

Here are some other season-to-date stats provided by Adam Mendoza, the Eagles play-by-play announcer:
  • Medina has amassed 5,500 yards on offense, of which 4,600 (84%) have been through the air. St. Edward's offense has accumulated 4,500 yards, of which 2,600 (58%) have been on the ground.
  • In the first quarter, the Battling Bees have racked up an amazing 200 points; their opponents have recorded 28. The Eagles have accrued 157 points, while allowing just 7. So, the stats indicate that the opening quarter could be a battle of the unstoppable force (Medina) against the immovable object (St. Eds).
  • Both offenses stay on the field for fourth down more than twice a game, on average. The Eagles have been more efficient, converting 53% for a first down vs. 38% for the Battling Bees.
  • St. Eds has scored on 48 (46 TDs, 2 FGs) of 51 attempts in the red zone for 94%. (Red-zone efficiency for Medina was not provided by Mendoza.)
One factor that could tilt the field slightly in favor of the run-first Eagles is the venue. Byers Field tends to be a wind tunnel, even when it’s not all that windy outside the stadium. The forecast currently shows wind on Friday averaging 10+ mph in the morning, tapering off to above 5 mph by game time with very little chance of rain, so weather might not be a significant factor. We’ll just have to wait and see what the actual game conditions are.

I expect a closely contested, hard-fought and very entertaining game, but have no idea who will come out on top.

Shucks, would really like to watch this from a semi neutral position ( Go Medina). Would like to see Allar in person. From the sounds of it evens and even better Longwell who was a treat to watch for many years.

It’s shocking to me that Medina averages only about 80 ypg on the ground and has been so dominant. Even Mentor had a steady run game on all of their great teams. That said, what a battle this will be. Easily the regional final with the most offense!

Medina twice had WRs running wide open for TDs. I don't expect the same gaffs from the Eds defense.

And Eds won't have 5 turnovers like Ignatius did.

I see the Eagles winning this game by 2 scores.

Its because you can't cover all 5 of Medina's Wide Receivers. I don't care what St Eds has on defense someone is going to be open on every play. I have been watching high school football for a long time and no one has ever had 5 like Medina does this year that I can remember. Any of those 5 would be the best WR on most teams in Ohio and it wouldn't even be close.

For St. Ed's, I don't think it's so much about covering Medina's wide receivers as it is getting after Allar in the pocket. He has good footwork, but he's not a great runner. They can't give him time to sit back there and let him find the open man.

For St. Ed's, I don't think it's so much about covering Medina's wide receivers as it is getting after Allar in the pocket. He has good footwork, but he's not a great runner. They can't give him time to sit back there and let him find the open man.
There is no question in my mind that if Ed's defense is putting heat on Allar and making him uncomfortable and running for his life all night, game over. Just like Mentor did last year in the regional final.

There is no question in my mind that if Ed's defense is putting heat on Allar and making him uncomfortable and running for his life all night, game over. Just like Mentor did last year in the regional final.
Medina changes the "Hot" route scheme weekly, so I doubt Allar will be hanging on to the ball if pressure comes. He always has 2 outlets one on each side of the formation that are not complex but if the hot receivers get the ball and are not tackled clean it will be tough on Eds. Those 5 are like heading cats.

Medina changes the "Hot" route scheme weekly, so I doubt Allar will be hanging on to the ball if pressure comes. He always has 2 outlets one on each side of the formation that are not complex but if the hot receivers get the ball and are not tackled clean it will be tough on Eds. Those 5 are like heading cats.
All I know is that last year after I saw Medina take down Iggy and Ed's in the playoffs, I thought the game vs. Mentor for the Region title was going to be an instant classic. It was a dud and it was simply Mentor upping their game on the defensive side of the ball and making Allar run for his life all night long. I never saw that coming, but it did. And I witnessed it with my own eyes. Lol! So if Mentor did it, I'm sure Ed's can find a way to do it. That is my concern regarding this being a good game. But still hoping it will be.

All I know is that last year after I saw Medina take down Iggy and Ed's in the playoffs, I thought the game vs. Mentor for the Region title was going to be an instant classic. It was a dud and it was simply Mentor upping their game on the defensive side of the ball and making Allar run for his life all night long. I never saw that coming, but it did. And I witnessed it with my own eyes. Lol! So if Mentor did it, I'm sure Ed's can find a way to do it. That is my concern regarding this being a good game. But still hoping it will be.
In your opinion, who has the better D Line? Mentor last year or Ed’s this year?

Last year's Medina vs Mentor game:
Allar was 15 of 42 for 279 yards, 1 TD, 1 Interception and 2 lost fumbles
whereas Mentor's Ian Kipp was 12 of 16 for 194 yards, 4 TDs + ran 10 times for 66 yards and 2 TDs
3 turnovers by Medina in a playoff game compared to Mentor's QB performance leads to that 49-14 score

I think Mentor got their penetration on Allar last year via the middle (like Ignatius did last week and the Wildcats had 5 sacks)
The Eagles's strength is with their edge rushers. So, the match-ups on the Lines may be the determining factor

Its because you can't cover all 5 of Medina's Wide Receivers. I don't care what St Eds has on defense someone is going to be open on every play. I have been watching high school football for a long time and no one has ever had 5 like Medina does this year that I can remember. Any of those 5 would be the best WR on most teams in Ohio and it wouldn't even be close.
Would they be open on Lakota west or springfield…

Would they be open on Lakota west or springfield…
Honestly I haven't seen those teams play. My confidence is in the 5 WR for Medina and obviously Allar against any one this year. If Eds can't find 30 points this week they will lose. They won't hold Medina to less than that.