Canton McKinley VS St. Edward

Gotta give a big coaching edge to Eds. He is be the best coach Hall has encountered all year.
That's not good, because he was out coached against Mentor, Fitch, Hoover, Massillon and I've been told he was out coached in several of their wins, McK just out athleted those teams.

Maybe I should reconsider my, pups in an upset thinking.

I know Dopamine critisms of McKinley playing farm schools but unless they merge with all of Stark County they are going to have a tough time competing in D1! It's a whole different level! Ed's is so deep! Their 2nd string would beat most of, if not all of Stark County!

3 interceptions and 21 yards rushing in the 1st half. That and dead ball penalties are sad to say the least. I am not surprised at all. The last winning coach we had was Coach Cross and that was a long time ago. The last really good QB we had was in 1997 - 1998, Thom McDaniel 's son.

3 interceptions and 21 yards rushing in the 1st half. That and dead ball penalties are sad to say the least. I am not surprised at all. The last winning coach we had was Coach Cross and that was a long time ago. The last really good QB we had was in 1997 - 1998, Thom McDaniel 's son.
The other thing people don't take into account is the regions were different back then with McKinley playing in region 2 and you didn't have to face these teams till the semi-final game. McKinley will never compete for a regional championship and a semi final game again out of this region. Especially with closed enrollment. At least public schools with open enrollment have a fighting chance sometimes.

As Yogi Berra once said "It got late early". St Eds looked like a state champ. QB got dinged up but other than that it was St Eds night. Congrats.

What a great season for McK. Those with the attention span of a gnat forget what the dire mood, tone and outlook was in the summer. McK was the target of national stories because of the incident. Some (dopes) called for McK to suspend the season. Yet Hall stepped up, put together a staff, put together his team and went on to a winning season and play three playoff games.

The contrast between the two teams helped underscore just how much McK accomplished this year. Eds has a tried and true system in place built on hard work and team first concepts. Hall was a first year coach thrown into a firestorm. He did an amazing job. Whether its Hall or someone else, they need to keep a coach and system in place if they hope to achieve St Eds level and win more state titles.

As Yogi Berra once said "It got late early". St Eds looked like a state champ. QB got dinged up but other than that it was St Eds night. Congrats.

What a great season for McK. Those with the attention span of a gnat forget what the dire mood, tone and outlook was in the summer. McK was the target of national stories because of the incident. Some (dopes) called for McK to suspend the season. Yet Hall stepped up, put together a staff, put together his team and went on to a winning season and play three playoff games.

The contrast between the two teams helped underscore just how much McK accomplished this year. Eds has a tried and true system in place built on hard work and team first concepts. Hall was a first year coach thrown into a firestorm. He did an amazing job. Whether its Hall or someone else, they need to keep a coach and system in place if they hope to achieve St Eds level and win more state titles.
Congratulations to McKinley on a very successful season. Given all the challenges the program and the kids faced, to be playing deep into the D1 playoffs is a remarkable accomplishment. It's good for HS football when a traditional program like McKinley is strong, so let's hope they can build off this season. The St Ed announcers had a lot of nice things to say about McKinley and Coach Hall at the start of the broadcast last night.

St. Ed football program faced a lot of challenges in the 1990's when we weren't strong. It took several seasons to change the culture and get the program to the level it's at today. All the players have bought into the system at St. Edward and Coach Lombardo seems to find a way to get as many of them on the field as possible.

You can review the St Ed announcers comments about McKinley and Hall at 13:00 of the video:

I agree, tough start for the year with the distractions. But the team and coach stayed focused and played very well after the first few games. I'm glad the kids had a chance to show their resilience and put together a solid season.

Good posts sehs and ESE. Knowledgeable fans understand what was accomplished this season by McK. It was a remarkable year given the start.

Your team looks solid. As always, well coached, disciplined, run the ball and stop the run. Built for another deep run. Good luck.

The other thing people don't take into account is the regions were different back then with McKinley playing in region 2 and you didn't have to face these teams till the semi-final game. McKinley will never compete for a regional championship and a semi final game again out of this region. Especially with closed enrollment. At least public schools with open enrollment have a fighting chance sometimes.
I disagree with the closed enrollment being the reason why McKinley wouldn't be able to compete for the R1 title. Mentor is closed enrollment and won the region three of the past four years. Medina is closed enrollment and is in the regional title game for the second straight year.

Plus, the only districts in R1 who are open enrollment are Elyria, Lorain and Stow.

I disagree with the closed enrollment being the reason why McKinley wouldn't be able to compete for the R1 title. Mentor is closed enrollment and won the region three of the past four years. Medina is closed enrollment and is in the regional title game for the second straight year.

Plus, the only districts in R1 who are open enrollment are Elyria, Lorain and Stow.
McKinley will be back to a strong football program again. I have no doubt about it. I believe Hall will continue to be the coach and build a strong program. Last night was just another reminder of where we have to get back to. Hall has been there as a player, so this is no surprise to him. We have the kids in Canton, we just have to keep them.

Are they closed enrollment schools surrounded by open enrollment schools?

Are they closed enrollment schools surrounded by open enrollment schools?
I think every district in Lorain County is open outside of Avon and Avon Lake. So while Elyria and Lorain are open, almost everything around them is as well.

Mentor has Painesville and Riverside to the east that are open, but the Lake County districts to the west are all also closed.

Medina used to have open enrollment districts surrounding them outside of Highland. But Brunswick has gone from adjacent district open to closed. Wadsworth is still adjacent districts and Cloverleaf and Buckeye are statewide open. Brunswick has just Buckeye that is open.

Every district in Cuyahoga is closed outside of Cleveland, East Cleveland and Richmond Heights.

But I see what you are getting at with Canton City since I'm guessing they lose quite a few kids to GlenOak, Perry and Massillon.

Canton City Schools is collapsing in population. That's going to filter down to athletics. Large swaths of the city itself are part of Plain or Canton Local districts so those don't help McKinley either. Medina's school district on the other hand encompasses 52 square miles. Lots of room to grow.

Canton has a uniquely bad situation because of geography. Mentor has something like 60% of the popuation in the city itself compared to Canton but 200 more boys enrolled at the HS as there are at McKinley.

Canton City Schools is collapsing in population. That's going to filter down to athletics. Large swaths of the city itself are part of Plain or Canton Local districts so those don't help McKinley either. Medina's school district on the other hand encompasses 52 square miles. Lots of room to grow.

Canton has a uniquely bad situation because of geography. Mentor has something like 60% of the popuation in the city itself compared to Canton but 200 more boys enrolled at the HS as there are at McKinley.
McKinley will be ok

It's forgotten, but Mentor is also Mentor-on-the-Lake as well. So it's more like 55,000 total population, so about 75 percent of Canton. Then as you pointed out, part of Canton's population is already in Plain or Canton Local. So if 15,000 of Canton's population lives in one of those other two districts, it helps explain why Mentor has more kids than McKinley.

But I'm not disagreeing that Canton City is likely losing quite a few students due to open enrollment.

Keep in mind, the last few years, Medina has had a generational type of quarterback. We're they a threat to win the region the 10 years prior to Allar? Will they be a threat to win the region the next 10 years? Mentor has always had a great high school, or better, type of quarterback. Those kinds of quarterbacks make a HUGE difference. McKinley hasn't had that for quite a while. Not sure if they have one in the pipeline either.

If they have had more than one the last few years, it's not generational. Words are hard.
Since Allar started last year, I don't know about his sophomore season, that is what I was referring to. Any poster with an ounce of common sense would have known that, which explains why you couldn't figure it out. I will try and keep things simpler for you going forward.

"Generational" means a span of time 15-25 years. Hope this helps.

Now if you meant to say he's their best QB in that time period, you can try to say that's what you meant ?‍♂️