Region 17 Semifinal: #4 Garfield (12-0) vs. #1 Kirtland (11-0)

BTW - Chardon is open Weeks 1, 2, 3, and 7 right now. If Kirtland is open on either of those dates tell your AD to reach out to Chardon’s AD. I guarantee it gets scheduled if Kirtland wants it.
Boy if that ever happened, it would be instant Ohio Game of the Week material, no questions asked.

I would favor the Hilltoppers by a few scores for sure, but given how close the two schools are to each other & the runs that both schools have been on, it would bring a frenzy of media & area fans.

Boy if that ever happened, it would be instant Ohio Game of the Week material, no questions asked.

I would favor the Hilltoppers by a few scores for sure, but given how close the two schools are to each other & the runs that both schools have been on, it would bring a frenzy of media & area fans.
Agreed, and I apologize for trolling your thread. I was just checking on a local team and their playoff foe and I came across that statement, and I knew it wasn’t true.

Hopefully the game does get scheduled. That’s a thread for another day. Good luck against GG. I saw them play Cardinal this year and they seemed pretty big and had some athletes. That said, they were playing Cardinal……Kirtland by 20+.

I can tell you with ABSOLUTE certainty that Kirtland has NEVER tried to schedule Chardon, and Chardon’s declined. That is a ? false statement.
I want to say it was week 11 last year when both teams had a bye. 10/9/20. Both teams didn’t have a game. And there was talk about playing and Chardon didn’t want the chance to get kids hurt. Neither did Kirtland but the coaches did want it from what I was told.

The kids at Kirtland do want the game. Especially if both programs make it all the way again.

Agreed, and I apologize for trolling your thread. I was just checking on a local team and their playoff foe and I came across that statement, and I knew it wasn’t true.

Hopefully the game does get scheduled. That’s a thread for another day. Good luck against GG. I saw them play Cardinal this year and they seemed pretty big and had some athletes. That said, they were playing Cardinal……Kirtland by 20+.
No trolling on your part, believe me. I appreciate your optimism for the Hornets. I believe we are in for a dogfight this week; given both teams’ run-oriented offenses. It looks like you will have a longer drive down to face Canfield. If we are both predicting scores, I’ll say 28-7 in favor of you guys. Good luck the rest of the way!

Love how everyone just assumes it will be SR vs Kirtland, Garaway is not a cupcake. If SR is even overlooking Garaway their season will end Saturday night.

Love how everyone just assumes it will be SR vs Kirtland, Garaway is not a cupcake. If SR is even overlooking Garaway their season will end Saturday night.
If garaway wins it will not be because of being overlooked it’ll be because they played better. SR is one of the few teams I’ve seen that plays the same way level headed week in and out so if you win it’s because you were better. That is a tall task they are very good

For those that are uninitiated to Stitz, please note he is not a fan/parent/remotely a part of Kirtland’s program. He is simply a “rabble rouser” who likes to get folks riled up. The only connection to any athletic program anyone has ever drawn to him was he was once in CCC’s marching band (and supposedly never returned his uniform).
That makes sense. I was reacting to his post, I mistakenly thought he was a Kirtland poster. I have great respect for Kirtland's coaches, players and fans. I know that Coach Laverde has respect for and prepares the same way for every team that his squad plays. All I was trying to say is that South Range is very talented and well coached also. Those who remarked about putting the cart before the horse, you are right. All four of the teams left in this region play at a very high level. Good luck to all four this weekend.

One of the biggest things about Kirtland is that they NEVER look ahead and NEVER take a team for granted. You do not win that many games and championships in row any other way. I saw them live last week and will again this week and it's going to take a special team to knock them off. They play so solid on both sides of the ball. The defense swarms and hits and the offense just clicks with their lineman blocking way downfield on every play. If you are a running team facing the Hornets - good luck with that. I expect a close game early but eventually the cream will rise to the top and the Hornets pull away.

One of the biggest things about Kirtland is that they NEVER look ahead and NEVER take a team for granted. You do not win that many games and championships in row any other way. I saw them live last week and will again this week and it's going to take a special team to knock them off. They play so solid on both sides of the ball. The defense swarms and hits and the offense just clicks with their lineman blocking way downfield on every play. If you are a running team facing the Hornets - good luck with that. I expect a close game early but eventually the cream will rise to the top and the Hornets pull away.
A solid takeaway for sure in terms of Kirtland’s playing style! What one says about Kirtland can also be said about Garfield too.

For example, in the G-Men’s first two playoff games, Garfield has only allowed 71 rushing yards on 43 carries. I don’t care who you play, that is STOUT defense; and it should give them some confidence going against the rushing attack of Kirtland.

Again, Saturday will be a very fun game to watch for both sides & I expect it to come down to some big plays in the fourth quarter to decide the victor.

A solid takeaway for sure in terms of Kirtland’s playing style! What one says about Kirtland can also be said about Garfield too.

For example, in the G-Men’s first two playoff games, Garfield has only allowed 71 rushing yards on 43 carries. I don’t care who you play, that is STOUT defense; and it should give them some confidence going against the rushing attack of Kirtland.

Again, Saturday will be a very fun game to watch for both sides & I expect it to come down to some big plays in the fourth quarter to decide the victor.

I don't. Kirtland pulls away in second half. Especially if we get the expected poor weather.

I don't. Kirtland pulls away in second half. Especially if we get the expected poor weather.
I hope you are right. I’ve had the tendency to underestimate the Hornets’ abilities this season (not in a bad way, but perhaps nervous energy around some games). The weather will be certainly be somewhat dreadful to say the least. Borderline freezing temps, 10-20mph winds, & mixture of rain/snow last I checked.

I hope you are right. I’ve had the tendency to underestimate the Hornets’ abilities this season (not in a bad way, but perhaps nervous energy around some games). The weather will be certainly be somewhat dreadful to say the least. Borderline freezing temps, 10-20mph winds, & mixture of rain/snow last I checked.
I’m with you on the nervous energy in some games…I guess it is natural when you graduate 20 starters

I was at the game last night and in methodical Kirtland fashion they dismantled Garfield. They made one mistake and blew a coverage in the 4th quarter - but the game was pretty much over at that point anyway. Garfield had the size advantage - but Kirtland had the strength, conditioning and coaching advantage. They just wore the G Men down. The lineman were dragging in the second half - especially 66, 73 and 74. The normal 3 and 4 yard runs started becoming 8+ yard runs in the second half.

The game got a tad chippy at the end with a few PF here and there as the Garfield players sensed their season was coming to an end. Kirtland just handled the game like the normal business trip they always do. Every team try's to punch them in the mouth and they just keep on doing what they do which is play lights out swarming defense, disciplined physical offense and they secure the ball. Case in point after Garfield took advantage of a blown coverage and scored - they bypassed a perfect onside kick opportunity only to watch Kirtland impose their will on a 10 minute scoring drive to put the cherry on top. The better team won.

As for all the talk about Kirtland moving up or needing to play tougher D2 and D3 opponents I heard something interesting. I heard the Hornets are only like 5 boys away from being D6. In fact after the next count and graduation - Kirtland might be dropping down to D6. People forget because they are so successful how small thet school actually is. They have an incredible youth program, they have an incredible work ethic, they have an incredible coaching philosophy and staff and to top it off NOBODY in Ohio lifts more. These kids lift 350+ days a year. I guarantee you there will be 50+ kids doing Yoga or light lifting Sunday AM. They have perfected the blueprint on how to build a dominant public school program.

As for all the talk about Kirtland moving up or needing to play tougher D2 and D3 opponents I heard something interesting. I heard the Hornets are only like 5 boys away from being D6. In fact after the next count and graduation - Kirtland might be dropping down to D6.

I may be wrong, but there hasn't been an update for 2 years. Regardless, they are close (166). But no worries....SR is closer (163) and is the last school in D5

Who is saying that Kirtland needs to play a different/tougher schedule? I think their playoff success speaks for itself.

There are a number of people who question the Kirrland winning streak and feel they should play some tougher D2 and D3 schools. I dont see what they have to gain playing a much larger school like Chardon, Aurora, Hudson, etc. They do an amazing job playing who they play. Its hard to argue their success.

There are a number of people who question the Kirrland winning streak and feel they should play some tougher D2 and D3 schools. I dont see what they have to gain playing a much larger school like Chardon, Aurora, Hudson, etc. They do an amazing job playing who they play. Its hard to argue their success.
Kirtland already moved up to the bigger school side of the CVC which contains mostly D3 and D4 schools anyways.

As far as who they schedule in non-conference, every good team in the area struggles to schedule teams. Look at schools like Ed's, Iggy, Mentor, etc. They're being forced to schedule teams outside of the state because no one wants to play them. Why would a D2 or D3 school want to schedule Kirtland in the regular season when a loss does them no good? Under the current Harbin system, losing to good teams has zero benefit. Kirtland already had to go outside of Ohio to schedule a game this year (that got cancelled). People saying "schedule tougher schools" clearly have zero understanding of how scheduling works in HS football.

Last edited:
I believe competitive balance also took the 2 biggest region 17 threats (VASJ and Ursuline) out of Kirtland's path. How fun would it be to see Kirtland's ground game go against Ursuline with that QB and those WR's? How fun would it be to see VASJ and that talented team try to take on Kirtland? I remember a few years ago Kirtland and Ursuline played a great game where the Irish were up 24-0 at halftime only to see Kirtland rally and win 38-37. Competitive balance did send Youngstown Mooney up to D5, but that program is a mess right now.

I love that the Kirtland kids do yoga. That was something I was able to add to my daily routine when COVID hit and it is such a good workout for you. If those kids really do yoga on Sundays after a game, it shows how seriously the program takes football. Credit to them.

I was at the game last night and in methodical Kirtland fashion they dismantled Garfield. They made one mistake and blew a coverage in the 4th quarter - but the game was pretty much over at that point anyway. Garfield had the size advantage - but Kirtland had the strength, conditioning and coaching advantage. They just wore the G Men down. The lineman were dragging in the second half - especially 66, 73 and 74. The normal 3 and 4 yard runs started becoming 8+ yard runs in the second half.

The game got a tad chippy at the end with a few PF here and there as the Garfield players sensed their season was coming to an end. Kirtland just handled the game like the normal business trip they always do. Every team try's to punch them in the mouth and they just keep on doing what they do which is play lights out swarming defense, disciplined physical offense and they secure the ball. Case in point after Garfield took advantage of a blown coverage and scored - they bypassed a perfect onside kick opportunity only to watch Kirtland impose their will on a 10 minute scoring drive to put the cherry on top. The better team won.

As for all the talk about Kirtland moving up or needing to play tougher D2 and D3 opponents I heard something interesting. I heard the Hornets are only like 5 boys away from being D6. In fact after the next count and graduation - Kirtland might be dropping down to D6. People forget because they are so successful how small thet school actually is. They have an incredible youth program, they have an incredible work ethic, they have an incredible coaching philosophy and staff and to top it off NOBODY in Ohio lifts more. These kids lift 350+ days a year. I guarantee you there will be 50+ kids doing Yoga or light lifting Sunday AM. They have perfected the blueprint on how to build a dominant public school program.
I was at the game too and Garfield gave them hell. I mean they scored with 2 min left in the game to make it 25-7. It was 18-7 with 2 min left to go in the game. Go ahead and give a look at their results this year and tell me how you can use the word dismantled to the team that played them closer than any other team that they played this year? That was their toughest opponent if you look at the scores. They dismantled everyone else on their schedule except the GMen. Now I will say that some players that showed up all year for the GMEN looked a little like the moment was too big for them. Didn't really play the way they did all year except a couple lineman and that #34. You can tell Kirtland had experience in this game and also the two platoon of lineman was a difference maker. The GMEN had a hell of a year and that may be the closest game Kirtland plays all dang year. On a side note, its crazy how disrespectful the Garfield fans are to their coaches after a season like that. I prob will never sit on their side again.

I believe there are different ways to look at "dismantled" and how it was used. I was at the game, a Kirtland fan but NO kids playing in the game. This game could have been 40 to nothing had KHS took advantage of being inside the 5/10 yard line better. First half was a good competitive game like that of Perry. Garfield had nothing left in the tank in the second half. I will say this, I can see why they had such a successful season. They have excellent size and speed combination along with an offense that is difficult to stop when you don't see it often. When I rewatch the game on YouTube, Garfield looks like a small school college team compared to KHS.

Could be 40-0 had they took advantage of it? Well they didn’t cause the gmen stopped them! Not because they didn’t execute because they did execute, it’s because the gmen held tight and stopped them unlike any other team they played. Yea perry played tough for a half and then got rolled. The gmen did not. Yea their offense is a pain cause no one ever sees it.

It was insane, didn't seem like much appreciation at all. Team goes 12-0 and is playing Kirtland and a lady is yelling and swearing about how the coaches should be fired. Ha Ha ... some people are clueless.

That’s a shame…I thought Garfield played physical disciplined football…unfortunately like most teams of their size where most kids have to play both ways, Kirtland’s conditioning took over in the 2nd half