(11) Dayton Dunbar 0

(9) Shawnee 28
(8) Cincinnati Hughes 0

D4 R14
(3) Van Wert 46
(14) Rossford 0

Playoffs Week 2 - Friday Night Games
D3R12

(5) St Marys (9-2) vs. (13) Chaminade-Julienne (4-5)
(6) Wapak (9-2) @ (3) Bellbrook (9-2)
(9) Shawnee (7-4) @ (1) Badin (10-0)
D4R14
(3) Van Wert (10-1) vs. (11) Wauseon (8-3)

I was mostly watching the Wapak and St Marys streams, and a bit of the Shawnee stream. It was nice to see blowouts and mostly shutouts from the 4 WBL teams in action tonight. Some thoughts:

I was thoroughly impressed by St Marys, mostly unimpressed by Wapak, happy to see Shawnee get a playoff W, and unsurprised by the VW win.

St Marys rolled Franklin. This Roughrider team is HOT right now. You could just see a difference in the players' body language. Roughriders scored on an 80-yard run on their first play of the game. And there was big play after big play. At one point, there was a 20-yard play action touchdown fade with the perfect touch. St Marys finished with 406 yards of total offense. I'm glad that C-J scored the upset over Ross and that St Marys gets to host again next week.

Wapak scored on their opening drive with a long, methodical drive, but then it was 7-0 for a while as teams traded punts. The Wapak defense was the star of the show again. They struggled a bit at the beginning of the game with open field plays and handling Dunbar's speed, but they had a HUGE moment where Dunbar had the ball at the 1 or 2 yard line, Dunbar burned 2 time outs, and got stood up each and every time. It was an impressive defensive stand. I understand the praise Goulet has received for his athleticism as he's a threat with his legs, but frankly he was a terribly ineffective passer. He really didn't seem to have any accuracy or touch to his throws. On a few 10-yard pass plays he rocketed the ball in there and it was too hot for the receivers to handle. Even worse, Goulet missed a wide open receiver on maybe a 30-yard pass downfield. Overthrew an easy touchdown. Wapak didn't even complete their first pass until under 2 minutes to play in the 3rd quarter. I get weather was a factor, but Dunbar was passing the ball somewhat effectively and they played in the same weather. The final total offensive stats for Wapak were 197 yards (20 passing) and Dunbar ended with 172 yards. Wapak won 30-0 and only out-gained Dunbar by 25 yards? Not all that impressive. They're going to need to show something different on offense against Bellbrook. There weren't even that many explosive plays for Wapak in the same way that St Marys had them tonight. The Dunbar mistakes (penalties and turnovers) seemed to do more to help Wapak move the ball than their own offense did sometimes. Nice to see Wapak get the W and it doesn't really matter how impressive the win is they get to advance regardless, but unsure how far they'll be able to go.

Four WBL teams went 4-0 tonight outscoring their opponents 153-13 including 3 shutouts. I don't care who you play that's impressive, great night for the WBL. Also a huge shout out to my Shawnee Indians for their 1st ever playoff win. Tough match-ups for 3 of the 4 winners next Friday but we'll see what happens

Playoffs Week 1 - Saturday Games

D5 R18
(5) Ottawa-Glandorf 41
(12) Doylestown Chippewa 6

(6) Liberty-Benton 14
(11) Bath 3

Playoffs Week 2 - Saturday Game

D5 R18
(5) Ottawa-Glandorf (8-3) vs. (13) Apple Creek Waynedale (6-5)

Playoffs Week 1 - Saturday Games

D5 R18
(5) Ottawa-Glandorf 41
(12) Doylestown Chippewa 6

(6) Liberty-Benton 14
(11) Bath 3

Playoffs Week 2 - Saturday Game

D5 R18
(5) Ottawa-Glandorf (8-3) vs. (13) Apple Creek Waynedale (6-5)
The OG game vs Wayne Dale.....

They have a RB and QB who seem to do it all. Typical spread team and the QB makes plays with his head, arm and legs.

I did not walk away impressed with them but they had a few real gamers on that team.

The QB seems very football savvy. Made a lot of good read plays in the rain game and what looked to be RPOs. You could see the QB go through his progressions nicely. He would often either go i his second r third option, or purposely look off defenders.

The love the dive play on first down.

They got up 26-0 and then had issues against the pass but did get a few INTs.

They were OK but I believe OG should pull away.

That was my thinking too, and it's not as if Bath had a bad performance, they just couldn't get the scores they needed.

Bath's QB got injured in the game vs Van Wert last week. They were playing with the backup QB last night whose only varsity playing time to date was in the 2nd half of the VW game last week. They just couldn't get anything done offensively. Defensive did well. Bath gave away the 1st TD to Liberty-Benton with a mistake and the 2nd TD occurred in the last minute of the game.

Bath lost final 4 games finishing 5-6. Yikes. Went to the St Mary's v. Bath game and the Bath offense was pathetic. Solid dline though.

Bath's QB got injured in the game vs Van Wert last week. They were playing with the backup QB last night whose only varsity playing time to date was in the 2nd half of the VW game last week. They just couldn't get anything done offensively. Defensive did well. Bath gave away the 1st TD to Liberty-Benton with a mistake and the 2nd TD occurred in the last minute of the game.
I didn't realize that, thanks for the heads up on that.

I knew I saw 7-3 until around the 2 minute mark as I was reading scores during our broadcast.

What are we thinking about this weekend's games? Looks like we could go 3-2 or 2-3 and completely bow out of D3. Van Wert and O-G look to be heavy favorites in their games. Nice to see O-G do another 5 pm kickoff on Saturday since these teams are on opposite sides of the region. Shawnee's in for a rough night. Wapak looks to be overmatched against Bellbrook and St Marys is going up against a better than their record indicates C-J team. Either of these Auglaize County schools could pick up a win, although I'd pick St Marys based on how well they've been playing.

Headed to VW tonight to root on the league. Been forever since I actually went to a game down there. I know where the stadium is, obviously, but any VW people with info on parking? How early should I be looking to get there?

Should be a good crowd tonight. 6:30ish and you should be fine. There are public lots on the East side of stadium or park at the Library on the North(two blocks away). There's an entrance on the NW side or SE side.

Wins by St. Marys and Van Wert tonight with losses by Wapak and Shawnee.

Let's see what OG can do to make it a 3-2 weekend for the league!

Should be a good crowd tonight. 6:30ish and you should be fine. There are public lots on the East side of stadium or park at the Library on the North(two blocks away). There's an entrance on the NW side or SE side.

Nice crowd, but was kind of surprised there was so much open space on the home side.

Regardless, good atmosphere and your library suggestion was a great one. Thank you and as always thanks to VW for being gracious hosts. Passionate fans, but good people.

D3 R12
(5) St Marys 24
(13) Chaminade-Julienne 21

(6) Wapak 35
(3) Bellbrook 42

(9) Shawnee 0
(1) Badin 17

D4 R14
(3) Van Wert 53
(11) Wauseon 20

D3R12

(5) St Marys (10-2) vs. (1) Badin (11-0)
D4R14
(3) Van Wert (11-1) vs. (2) Clyde (10-2)

I didn't follow any of these games last night, but looks like a solid night across the WBL, even at 2-2. Van Wert and St Marys with solid wins. It looked like C-J added their two touchdowns late in a rally and that SM controlled that game for the most part. VW's offense looks to be in command as usual which is great to see.

I'm not surprised that Shawnee was held scoreless, but I am impressed the margin was only 0-17. I heard Badin made some mistakes, but regardless Shawnee's defense has a lot to celebrate with their performance this season. Now, if only Shawnee could do something about that offense. In the other game, Wapak looked to have an impressive performance against Bellbrook. Bellbrook's offense had been lighting up the scoreboard this year and in that topic some folks were picking Bellbrook by 24. Wapak's O looked to be doing some good things and finally connecting on some passes, but a fumble and failed 4th down ultimately cost them. Still a great performance by Wapak and they'll undoubtedly be back next year.

Playoffs Week 2 - Saturday

D5 R18
(5) Ottawa-Glandorf 53
(13) Waynedale 0

Next Week:
(5) Ottawa-Glandorf (9-3) vs. (1) Tontogany Otsego (11-0)

Any guesses where the remaining teams will play next week?

Van Wert-Clyde would make sense in Findlay....but Findlay is playing that night. Usually sites don't host if the team is playing. From there I'm not sure. Lima, Fremont, and Tiffin don't seem very neutral. Perrysburg? Somewhere in Toledo?

St. Marys-Badin...I'd guess Piqua, Troy, or somewhere around Dayton.

OG-Otsego is an interesting one. Defiance or Napoleon could make sense....but I'd think Edon-LCC and Archbold-Liberty Center end up at those sites. Findlay? Perrysburg? BG? Not a lot of turf fields that I know of around there.

As far as how the WBL fares, I feel like all 3 are toss ups. VW probably is a slight favorite, the other 2 might be slight underdogs, but all should be great games. OG looks better than they did when they lost to Eastwood, but there's still the fact they lost that game the way they did, while Otsego beat them TWICE.

Since the Sept.24 loss at Van Wert, OG has outscored their opponents 220-13.
Any guesses where the remaining teams will play next week?

Van Wert-Clyde would make sense in Findlay....but Findlay is playing that night. Usually sites don't host if the team is playing. From there I'm not sure. Lima, Fremont, and Tiffin don't seem very neutral. Perrysburg? Somewhere in Toledo?

St. Marys-Badin...I'd guess Piqua, Troy, or somewhere around Dayton.

OG-Otsego is an interesting one. Defiance or Napoleon could make sense....but I'd think Edon-LCC and Archbold-Liberty Center end up at those sites. Findlay? Perrysburg? BG? Not a lot of turf fields that I know of around there.

As far as how the WBL fares, I feel like all 3 are toss ups. VW probably is a slight favorite, the other 2 might be slight underdogs, but all should be great games. OG looks better than they did when they lost to Eastwood, but there's still the fact they lost that game the way they did, while Otsego beat them TWICE.
OG is a totally different team than they were in week one when the titans played Eastwood.

Since the Sept.24 loss at Van Wert, OG has outscored their opponents 220-13.

OG is a totally different team than they were in week one when the titans played Eastwood.

And that's why I have it as a toss up.

Let's not forget that in that time, 7 of those wins were against losing teams. Shawnee was a struggle, which I can forgive because they also just played Badin tough and the defense is good. St. Marys was am impressive win and VW was as impressive of a loss as you can get. Otherwise though I'd argue they did what they should have....they dominated bad teams like they were supposed to. That's not a knock on the Titans. They're good, and they've got a shot next week, and if they win I expect them to win R18. Just, Otsego is also good. I think Otsego (and Eastwood) would have found themselves in the thick of the WBL title race this year. O-G is improved a lot from week 1....but are they almost 30 points improved? We'll find out Saturday.

I hope they are, BTW. I have nothing but respect for the program Shriner runs and I'd love to see him win a state title some year. Best of luck to the Titans in what should be one of the more intriguing games in the state week 13.

(5) St Marys (10-2) vs. (1) Badin (11-0) is at Trotwood-Madison

(3) Van Wert (11-1) vs. (2) Clyde (10-2) is at Millbury Lake Napoleon

(5) O-G (9-3) vs. (1) Otsego (11-0) is at Napoleon

Last edited:
Plan to check out VW-Clyde with the location change. Assuming I don't throw up entering Crapoleon. Plus side, I know the visiting bleachers well.

OHSAA scheduling is crazy. OG - Otsego at Napoleon, which is fine for those two...and about as close to home as you can get for a regional final.....but on the same night they put LCC and Edon at Findlay. That's a 95 mile trip for Edon. Crazy thing is that Edon/LCC was one of the last games that they announced almost like they forgot about it then realized they had no real good option left for the location