Week 13: D-III Region 9 Semi-Final #4 Canfield Cardinals (11-1) vs #1 Chardon Hilltoppers (12-0)

Who wins this rematch from week 10 last year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I’ve got no idea what the payoff is for hosting but judging from the total lack of bids, OSHAA is hosing everybody and everything to make a buck or save a buck. I’m on Girards turf every Friday night and throughout the year. It’s not new but it’s fine. It’s not a showplace. It’s a football field and it’s still better than playing on a grass-less muddy field like they had to 15-20 years ago. Maybe some of the whiners should ask their ADs why they didn’t bid. Poland, Hubbard, Struthers, Lakeview or even Liberty all have new turf but nobody wants to step up. Guess you’re stuck with the Beautiful Arrowhead!!! Oh wait. Jaws doesn’t even have a stadium. Just a muddy swampy grass-less practice field. But keep hatin on Girard.

Last edited:
Chardon fans will show up - especially if the game isn't streamed. Last year, unless Spectrum was doing the game, all of our games were streamed by our local G-TV cable channel. We will fill the home side and bring the noise. Should be a great atmosphere. Although somehow the 1 and 2 seeds in Region 9 have to drive over an hour while the 3 and 4 seeds drive 10-15 minutes.

Not sure how well Chardon travels but I’d imagine this will be a full stadium
Definitely because it is on the small side at only about 3500 not counting the auxiliary seating for the bands in the end zones.

Chardon fans will show up - especially if the game isn't streamed. Last year, unless Spectrum was doing the game, all of our games were streamed by our local G-TV cable channel. We will fill the home side and bring the noise. Should be a great atmosphere. Although somehow the 1 and 2 seeds in Region 9 have to drive over an hour while the 3 and 4 seeds drive 10-15 minutes.
It is 25 minutes for the team to get to the stadium from the high school, but I get your point.

Honestly if anyone on here is looking for parking, getting down to Liberty park wont be a terrible option as everyone else fills up the streets. Additionally not ideal but you could park at the grade school and walk down. Probably about a half a mile but you'll be out of the mess after the game. For myself, I will be walking!
1636375668831.png

Guess you’re stuck with the Beautiful Arrowhead!!! Oh wait. Jaws doesn’t even have a stadium. Just a muddy swampy grass-less practice field. But keep hatin on Girard.
1. There's only one named "The Beautiful"...lol.
2. Jaws should be the last person complaining and ridiculing other schools stadiums. I totally agree with you on that.
3. I really think Jaws hates Hubbard as much as Girard, if not even just a little bit more. Maybe he can explain why all the hatred and vitriol...

True, but it's a shame that's the only thing holding back one of the nicest venues in the Mahoning valley. For what it's worth, I always had to park on the street in Girard. Salem hosts quite a bit and has a ugly parking situation as well, imo.
I think the former Hubbard AD never even tried to pursue any playoff football games. I think they have hosted playoff soccer games not that long ago down at The Beautiful.

Did your AD bid to host the game?
Word around town was it just wasn't worth the hassle. Usually there are 4 people at each of the 3 ticket booths which is 12 people, I heard he had only 3, one at each ticket booth because of not purchasing any tickets at the stadium for the Hubbard/New Philadelphia playoff game. Plus, there was no monetary value to put the lights on, so why even do it unless the Hubbard Eagles were actually playing there.

Word around town was it just wasn't worth the hassle. Usually there are 4 people at each of the 3 ticket booths which is 12 people, I heard he had only 3, one at each ticket booth because of not purchasing any tickets at the stadium for the Hubbard/New Philadelphia playoff game. Plus, there was no monetary value to put the lights on, so why even do it unless the Hubbard Eagles were actually playing there.
Yes, this is just some of the reasons why schools are not putting in to host. Also heard since the pandemic, that the OSHAA has gotten really cheap, and it just isn't worth it.

Will there be in-person ticket sales for the game or all online?
Everything in on line. But you can go on your phone and buy them on line right at the gate if your not sure about going. You just download a bar code symbol that they scan instead of taking tickets. . Pretty easy actually.

Everything in on line. But you can go on your phone and buy them on line right at the gate if your not sure about going. You just download a bar code symbol that they scan instead of taking tickets. . Pretty easy actually.
Does Girard provide the chain gang or are they designated like the refs, and if so, who pays them, Girard or OSHAA?

I still think all these playoff stadiums are getting ripped off if they're not making hardly any money.

Everything is online so ohsaa can just take the money, and they won’t have any issues about getting money from teams lol

Does Girard provide the chain gang or are they designated like the refs, and if so, who pays them, Girard or OSHAA?

I still think all these playoff stadiums are getting ripped off if they're not making hardly any money.
For home games, 1st or 2nd round, the host provides the chain gang who are paid through the school from a state funded account. I’m not sure after that as Girard never hosted a regional semi final or beyond.
move heard the travel expense reimbursements have been slashed as well.
Our regular chain guys are all volunteers during the regular season.

For home games, 1st or 2nd round, the host provides the chain gang who are paid through the school from a state funded account. I’m not sure after that as Girard never hosted a regional semi final or beyond.
move heard the travel expense reimbursements have been slashed as well.
Our regular chain guys are all volunteers during the regular season.
Thank you for your response. I learned something...

Girard's stadium has a lot of residential street parking around the stadium. Should have no problem finding a parking space somewhere, within fairly short distance

Girard's stadium has a lot of residential street parking around the stadium. Should have no problem finding a parking space somewhere, within fairly short distance
I’ve been to some games where they have huge parking lots but you need to get an Uber to get to the gate and they charge you $5 to park.

View attachment 23255
Honestly if anyone on here is looking for parking, getting down to Liberty park wont be a terrible option as everyone else fills up the streets. Additionally not ideal but you could park at the grade school and walk down. Probably about a half a mile but you'll be out of the mess after the game. For myself, I will be walking!
Neither of those options are very desirable and are only marginally reasonable. If you would park at the elementary school, the walk TO the stadium would be downhill, but is still 5-6 blocks long. Even worse, the walk back FROM the stadium will be all uphill, on a cold night to boot. That should be a last-gasp resort, only if there's no on-street parking remaining.

In Liberty Park (further down the hill), there's a gravel area behind the baseball field that probably can accommodate about 30 to 40 cars at most, but walking up that hill to the visitor side of the stadium won't be pleasant in the dark on a narrow road with no sidewalks and with little or no overhead street lighting.

Your best bet is to 1) arrive early; 2) try to get in the parking lot on the visitor (east) side; or 3) parallel park on these E-W streets surrounding the stadium: Morris Avenue (not shown here, 1 block south of Crumlin); Crumlin Ave.; E. Howard St; E. Second St.; E. Wilson Ave; and even Joan Ave., and E. Kline St. There is NO on-street parking permitted on E. Liberty St.; and on-street parking is very limited on both N-S streets Highland and Elruth.

Good luck!

Neither of those options are very desirable and are only marginally reasonable. If you would park at the elementary school, the walk TO the stadium would be downhill, but is still 5-6 blocks long. Even worse, the walk back FROM the stadium will be all uphill, on a cold night to boot. That should be a last-gasp resort, only if there's no on-street parking remaining.

In Liberty Park (further down the hill), there's a gravel area behind the baseball field that probably can accommodate about 30 to 40 cars at most, but walking up that hill to the visitor side of the stadium won't be pleasant in the dark on a narrow road with no sidewalks and with little or no overhead street lighting.

Your best bet is to 1) arrive early; 2) try to get in the parking lot on the visitor (east) side; or 3) parallel park on these E-W streets surrounding the stadium: Morris Avenue (not shown here, 1 block south of Crumlin); Crumlin Ave.; E. Howard St; E. Second St.; E. Wilson Ave; and even Joan Ave., and E. Kline St. There is NO on-street parking permitted on E. Liberty St.; and on-street parking is very limited on both N-S streets Highland and Elruth.

Good luck!
judging from the crowds I’ve seen and heard of so far, there won’t be any problem. I’ll be watching from my chair at home.

Google earth measurements. Measured from the farthest distance away from Girards stadium I’ve ever parked. It’s about 1400 feet to the seats. It’s the same from the middle of Canfield or Chardon parking lots so I see no problem. Get there earlier, it’s less. ?

Google earth measurements. Measured from the farthest distance away from Girards stadium I’ve ever parked. It’s about 1400 feet to the seats. It’s the same from the middle of Canfield or Chardon parking lots so I see no problem. Get there earlier, it’s less. ?
I hate the parking at Canfield, it’s way worse then girard. Poland has pretty bad parking as well. Boardman may have the best parking around

I hate the parking at Canfield, it’s way worse then girard. Poland has pretty bad parking as well. Boardman may have the best parking around
I know you can't park on Cardinal Drive or Brookpark at Canfield. I can't recall how many parking spaces are at the high school, but it has a decent number, parking is definitely a problem whenever Poland is visiting. Canfield only seats 4050 spectators anyways, it is not like it is a big stadium like WGH, Niles, Fitch or Boardman.