Hoban's Tim Tyrrell to the University of Akron?

Brooksie

News broke this morning that University of Akron head football coach Tom Arth has been fired, effective immediately.

So, why is this news on a HIGH SCHOOL football forum?

Because, according to reporter Zac Jackson, one of the first names to seriously consider is highly successful Hoban HS head coach Tim Tyrell. Quite frankly, if Tyrell were to make the jump - who could blame him?

I am sure it would be one hell of a bump in salary. And he can feel very satisfied with the job he has done at Hoban. He has an unparalleled level of success in his time there, and he certainly maintained the level of excellence when the program was handed off to him from Ralph Orsini.

Tyrell has explored college opportunities before - being a finalist for the Youngstown State job in 2019. He certainly would bring a very strong recruiting base to the University.

But this could all boil down to which path the University chooses to take. Tyrell has accomplished everything there is to accomplish on the high school level at Hoban, but would the administration be comfortable turning the keys to the programs to an unproven talent at the college level? Only they can answer that.

Odd timing. Starters are mostly freshman and sophs. Nearly beat Ball State last night. RS Fresh QB looks pretty good. I guess the new AD is making his mark here. Would've kept Arth and made next year his payoff year. If they're still a lousy 2-3 win team, then drop the axe.

Agree Crusaders they played their butts off the other Night and If not for the fumble into the end zone by the quarterback… Who played extremely well by the way.… The zips win this one… Akron is an extremely tough place to recruit

Odd timing. Starters are mostly freshman and sophs. Nearly beat Ball State last night. RS Fresh QB looks pretty good. I guess the new AD is making his mark here. Would've kept Arth and made next year his payoff year. If they're still a lousy 2-3 win team, then drop the axe.
I agree. I was a bit shocked when I saw that they let Arth go after watching the game on Tuesday. If the freshman QB doesn't try to score on the play and instead slides down at the 1-yard line, Akron has first and goal and could have let the time wind down and potentially scored with virtually nothing left on the clock for the win. But can't blame the QB for seeing what was a small opening and trying to make a play for a TD.

On top of the QB looking pretty good, the freshman running back (Norrils) from Toledo Central Catholic looked like he is a potential star. He's quick, hits the hole fast and runs hard.

With the transfer portal, who knows if either wouldn't have looked for a bigger opportunity even with Arth, but it seems pretty safe to assume whoever the new coach is won't have those two. Now, you are virtually starting all over. Granted, that is more like stepping off a two-foot mound instead of falling of the side of a mountain, but still.

Whoever takes over as Akron's head coach, good luck turning that program around! Akron has to be one of the worst jobs in all of college football.

UA should never have fired Terry Bowden. IMO the 4-5 wins a year he got at Akron was pretty darn good. And now when the team is finally showing some life under Arth, they let him go with 3 games left? Makes zero sense.

Whoever takes over as Akron's head coach, good luck turning that program around! Akron has to be one of the worst jobs in all of college football.

UA should never have fired Terry Bowden. IMO the 4-5 wins a year he got at Akron was pretty darn good. And now when the team is finally showing some life under Arth, they let him go with 3 games left? Makes zero sense.
Bowden was awful. 4-5 wins is not bowl eligible and that's a measure of basic competence, especially in the awful MAC. The program was trending down and he had some other issues that were causing problems. He was also loyal to assistants that were awful. Unfortunately, they hired an incompetent to replace him.

Tyrrell is very good at getting talented kids to come to Hoban. I think UA needs a division 1 FBS level college head coach not a D2 high school coach.

Akron very tough place to recruit period…Facilities are not very good overall and the location not great either as far as bringing in top-flight talent from the south. You are recruiting the same kids as programs like Coastal Carolina and App State And I don’t believe you are going to win many of those battles especially after factoring in The lack of tradition at Akron. Players want to win…….Tough job for anyone…Not going to get many from the transfer portal either in Akron Ohio… Just My opinion of course.

Bowden was awful. 4-5 wins is not bowl eligible and that's a measure of basic competence, especially in the awful MAC. The program was trending down and he had some other issues that were causing problems. He was also loyal to assistants that were awful. Unfortunately, they hired an incompetent to replace him.

Tyrrell is very good at getting talented kids to come to Hoban. I think UA needs a division 1 FBS level college head coach not a D2 high school coach.
If Bowden was horrible, how else would you describe the other coaches? He took them to 2 of the 3 bowl games in school history, won a mac division title, and was 23-25 in conference games. To do that at Akron and say he was horrible? The coach before him was 2-22 and coach after 3-24, he sticks out like a sore thumb

Terry did bring in some quality recruits and had a couple decent years…so many more connections like Coach Amato…hard to sustain in Akron over a period…He was solid but some key recruits did not pan out or had off/field issues…see where you are coming from Kingpin…you have some familiarity with the program

Hs Everyone knows that Tony D. built that program and Regis was on his coattails But you are not all wrong LOL
How did you take that post as a knock on DeCarlo??
Regis had success at other schools besides JCU also, Not the trader!

I personally think Bowden and Amato were just collecting paychecks at the end of their tenure at Akron. I was glad to see them go

I personally think Bowden and Amato were just collecting paychecks at the end of their tenure at Akron. I was glad to see them go
AU never gave Dennison credit for at least making the program respectable.
No did not at all..Regis did well at Case also … My point was Tony got it rolling.
See my pm I sent, no one can disagree with that even going back to Herb Eisele & John Raye

AU never gave Dennison credit for at least making the program respectable.

See my pm I sent, no one can disagree with that even going back to Herb Eisele & John Raye
Are you saying making it respectable by hiring Bowden? If thats what you are saying, I totally agree. I was onboard when he was hired. I think they found out quickly what they were up against at Akron

It is definitely an uphill climb at Akron I am with you G bulldog. Some football jobs have the ability to beat you down and no matter what you do there are some areas that you do not match up in terms of Facilities, recruiting base,Financial support and a lot of other things.Timing is everything in coaching and I truly believe it will take the perfect storm to win Four or five years in a row At Akron, although, Look at what Solich Did at OU Over An extended period.

Are you saying making it respectable by hiring Bowden? If thats what you are saying, I totally agree. I was onboard when he was hired. I think they found out quickly what they were up against at Akron
This thread is about football coaches, not ad's right? Jim as coach at
Akron: overall 80–62–2, Mac 30–22–1

You are going way back… Much different time and era…Coach Faust was supposed to be the savior then LOL… And terrific guy but again no long term sustained success.

For those who follows Akron (I do not) what would a head coach need to accomplish there in order to be considered a good hire?

If Bowden was horrible, how else would you describe the other coaches? He took them to 2 of the 3 bowl games in school history, won a mac division title, and was 23-25 in conference games. To do that at Akron and say he was horrible? The coach before him was 2-22 and coach after 3-24, he sticks out like a sore thumb
Great Point. These AD’s today especially new ones got some Big Big Egos. They generally know Zero about
There Big 3 Sports. UA was crazy to fire Bowden. Now this new AD is obviously Greener than a Bean Sprout.
Should have kept Arth. Maybe they should go get Doc Holliday former head coach at Marshall.
85-54 in 11Seasons went 6-2 in Bowl games. This was another unexplainable firing. His replacement is suspect best case scenario.

Well shoot big and go get Patterson from TCU…In all reality……. I’m not sure anybody can consistently win at Akron…Dying city going nowhere…If they do get really good young players with the portal they’ll be out in a year… I don’t like that deal at all but that’s a whole Other topic.